TUES, 2:45PM ET
BES
WED, 2:45PM ET
BRA
LUFC

Charlie Davies Won’t Return to Ligue 1 This Season

Charlie Davies Wont Return to Ligue 1 This Season

Charlie Davies hopes of making the World Cup roster took a significant hit today, when his club announced that he will not feature in a Ligue 1 match this season.

“He won’t play again this season in Ligue 1,” Sochaux president Alexandre Lacombe told local paper Est-Republicain on Thursday. “He is fine and that is the main thing. Since leaving his wheelchair, he has gone through a lot to get fit again. But it’s a bit early to say when he will play again.”

He has returned to training, but the progress hasn’t been as good as team officials would like.

“It’s been very hard for Charlie, as every time we up the workload, he gets very tired,” Sochaux coach Francis Gillot told L’Equipe.

Now, it’s still possible for Bob Bradley to select him for the World Cup provisional roster early next month, work him out and judge him fit enough to make the trip.

But it’s hard to imagine that happening, especially in light of the recent high form of guys like Edson Buddle and Herculez Gomez.

So, what do you think?

Is there still hope for a World Cup appearance, or is it time to think about plans B and C?

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, US National Team and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Charlie Davies Won’t Return to Ligue 1 This Season

1. Joey Clams says:

So he won’t be going to the World Cup. Fine. We’ll be all set with Buddle and Gomez.

Please save the arguments about the emotional lift that Davies will give the team. This isn’t Oprah; it’s the World Cup.

And I believe that he should still serve a USNT suspension.

• Charles says:

Sorry to be ignorant, suspension for what ?

• njndirish says:

For being out late at night.

Clams is completely and utterly off base. Davies has drawn powerful emotions from the national team. He is a close friend with many of the members of the team, especially Altidore, Edu, and Holden. Emotions are an important part of any sports, especially tournaments.

• Charles says:

Nah, I agree with him Davies totally screwed us ( the US ) over.
          He is paying the price but he screw us over big time.

2. Kevin_amold says:

It just seems harsh to slam the door shut because Sochaux doesn’t think he will feature this year. Bring him in to camp, and give him a chance. I am confident that Bradley won’t necessarily let Sochaux make his decisions for him. I’m also confident that Bradley won’t bring him along if he doesn’t have “it” at camp.

It seems like Onyewu’s situation is similar (although not identical, I understand), even if he doesn’t feature for Milan, he should (and will) be brought in and evaluated.

3. jose says:

it’s a big loss for us but it’s for the best in the long run for both parties. i think bradley needs to have altidore up front as a lone striker and dempsey behind him as a center forward and of course landon on the wing.

4. Charles says:

I am dreaming of a guy named after Pele matched up with an American superstar that chooses to play here, lighting up the World Cup and finally bringing people to watch soccer in this country.

A dream sure, but about 100 times more likely than CD saving the US hopes.

5. Bob Bradley's Sweat Pants says:

well, that scratches him for the world cup. he isn’t going to get any club time before the world cup so that settles that on who to call to camp. I like how these guys in europe get a free ride to the starting XI. if you are riding the bench all season or not scoring for HULL lets develop some other players. Gooch, sorry but you haven’t had any play time for AC milan before and after your injury. NEXT!

• james says:

So, what you’re saying is, we don’t play one of the best defenders coming into the WC because he hasn’t played enough due to injury.

The players are picked for the team because they’re better. They have more experience and, when the chips are down, they perform. No one gets a free ride onto the USMNT. It’s incredibly small minded to think otherwise.

Why is it that the US have the only fans in the world that moan and groan about their players playing in leagues abroad? Do you think the Mexican fans give a shit about where Dos Santos plays? No, they just know he’s really good and should be on the field.

6. Jayme says:

First of all, Charlie should not have a USNT suspension because their curfew, as i heard, was not in effect for that night.

Secondly, his hopes are not all let go. He may not get time for a club that is near the bottom of the table in the French League but when he practices daily and works hard, he will get into perfect shape. He’s worked hard enough and if broken bones and a lacerated bladder couldn’t tell him he can’t play in the world cup, do you honestly think he’ll let the Sochaux president get to him and have Charlie honestly think he can’t make the roster?

Bradley needs to realize Charlie is what he needs on his world cup roster. The US needs to realize that Charlie will bring in a lot of news and press releases that will attract more media to the US for the soccer world.

Charlie has gone through way too much hard work, dedication, and drama, that when he gets the call to the US camp he’ll show everyone what he is capable of doing, scoring and beating guys off the ball just like he did before his accident.

7. Joey Clams says:

I disagree. The message must be sent that you cannot break a curfew without consequences.

I like Charlie and I wish him well. The team may even have a use for him. But he must serve a suspension. THAT will remind everyone that the team is the most important thing. THAT will resonate emotionally, not only among the players who conduct themselves with professional rectitude but also among those who may have learned from Charlie.

• CoconutMonkey says:

Consequences? Suspension?

I would think a lacerated bladder; leg, elbow, and facial fractures; and god knows what else should be punishment enough.

As for his playing, if he’s 100% (or darn close), take him. Otherwise, he’s gotta watch from the stands. Not just for the good of the team, but for his own sake. He could still have a long career. He’s lucky to be alive, let alone playing. No sense risking all of that on one tournament.

• Charles says:

I agree 100% with Joey.
      He got into a car with a drunk driver at rediculous hours.

We all know he didn’t do the right thing, just because he is a starter doesn’t make it the right thing. Next time, everyone has to know to take the car keys and play in the World Cup.

Amazing that he is being praised as a hero, rather than be shown as an example.

Joey has him as an example for everyone and is 100% correct.

8. Joey Clams says:

Jayme:

My message was posted without having seen yours; I believe we were writing at the same time.

As I remember it, an early report said that the curfew was not in effect. Subsequent reports said that it was. Regardless, 3AM is egregious. If not, then why not 4 or 5 AM?

Charlie MUST serve a formal suspension. If he doesn’t, well, don’t be surprised if someone else ends up in a jam in the wee hours. And by suspending him, you send the message of not being desperate and in having confidence in those available.

• joey shams says:

this isn’t high school or under-18 club soccer. suspension? laughable.

a bias against Davies is ok, but a left field call on suspension for a national team is unheard of.

• Charles says:

Unheard of? It happens all the time in sports. Why don’t you call Big Ben over in Pittsburgh ?
        yeah, Joey is biased against Davies….give me a break.

9. USA vs. England. 60 years in the making says:

The rematch is on after 60 years.

10. Tom says:

A girl was killed in that car accident. He should not be picked just because he has friends on the team. If the coach thinks he can help, fine; but I’m skeptical that there isn’t better options than a guy who hasn’t played, and won’t play, since last fall.

11. Tadeh says:

Charlie has been through more than most of us can imagine.
    Suspension? Not a chance.
    The USMNT has basically turned him into a hero.
    What would a suspension do? Nothing at all. Are we going to punish him for missing curfew after the terrible injuries he has suffered, not to mention that his dreams and aspirations of playing in the World Cup might be shattered? I think not.
    The injuries he has suffered and the pain he has undergone trying to recover from his injuries are much more punishment that any suspension would bring – he’s already missed so many games guys!!

With all these unknowns, one thing is for sure…..Is Charlie still fighting on as we speak in the gym and the training room? You bet ya. As we all know, Charlie is not the typical human being, he excels when facing a challenge. I bet that he himself is confident and motivated to make the pitch in June, and all we can do is support him as he tries to make it back.

The US will play 3 group games and up to 4 more elimination games after, assuming they advance. Thats 7 games in total – and thats it.

If he can somehow make it back on the pitch, it will be the feel good story of the tournament. And Charlie knows this as well. Not only will it boost the US chances of getting far in the tournament, it will draw the attention of the average American sports fan who has never cared about the sport of football/soccer.

I have a gut feeling that Charlie will make it on the squad. He may not be able to play the entire game, but his presence alone will bring an added level of committment the other USA players will bring on the pitch.
    Imagine you were Bocanegra, Bradley, Dempsey, or any other US player and you see Charlie running around out there and trying to give it his best – you automatically will push yourself to play ever harder.

Charlie’s return will mean many things for the USMNT and the sport of football in the US in general. We desperately need him.

Heres to Charlie, we are all with you bro. See you on the pitch in South Africa!

12. joejoe says:

I don’t think US Soccer gets to decide if Charlie is fit. If Sochaux says their player is not ready, and objects to his release to the national team, then Davies can’t go. I mean he almost died the last time the USMNT had him. In any case, If any player is not able to play 90+ minutes, then he should not be selected. Let’s move on. Davies can try out in a few years.

13. Barry says:

Joejoe, are you retarded? US Soccer doesn’t get to make the decision on who will play for them? Sochaux can decide if they want him to play for Sochaux, but Sochaux will not make decisions for the US. As for Sochaux and their president, they really have nothing to gain by playing him this season, so it doesn’t surprise me that they’re holding out. I’m sure they would rather not play him and weaken his WC chances, thereby giving him more recovery time for next season. He is an investment to them, and they are just taking a conservative route in protecting him and increasing his recovery time. I really want to see CD9 in SA, but I realize it may just be a pipedream. He certainly has enough talent, determination, and competitiveness, so bring him to camp and let the US decide if his fitness level is where it needs to be. If he’s not ready, he’s not ready, and we’ve a got a few promising young guys who I’m sure are just itching to get their shot with the USMNT. But just because Sochaux has written him off doesn’t me the US necessarily has to follow suit.

And to those like Clams or Charles who are condemning him, he has been made a hero in the eyes of so many because of how he has responded to his mistakes and setbacks. He’s 23 years old. He’s going to make mistakes. He did and has paid dearly for them. It would’ve been easy for him to crawl into a hole and not confront his poor decisions and the consequences of them. Instead, he learned from his mistakes and has come back with unmatched passion and determination. What more of an example do you want?

14. Joey Clams says:

From the New York Times:

A.Yeah, I definitely felt like I let the team down. I let my family down. I let my girlfriend down. It was definitely something I feel. I let down people.

Q.How?

A.I think it was about being selfish. I think I was selfish in being the one to go out past curfew and right there, it’s just taking an unnecessary chance and risk of life. Putting yourself in a bad position and that’s what I did. And I think what I learned most is not to put yourself in those types of positions. In the end, the accident wasn’t my fault, but I put myself in that position. So I’m letting down people in that sense. So I definitely feel that this whole comeback, this whole desire, this whole push that has played a big part in it. Coming back to kind of like redeem myself.

And, yes, you can tell a player that you’ve selected that he can’t suit up for a game. If he’s picked, I think that you can count on it happening.

15. Joey Clams says:

Barry:

I haven’t condemned Davies. I like the guy, in fact. But he has to serve a suspension. That’s all. He broke curfew. Come on.