Powered by
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Football Commentators Launch England World Cup Song

lets hear it england Football Commentators Launch England World Cup SongEngland manager Fabio Capello may have forbidden an official England World Cup song, but that hasn’t stopped some of the biggest football commentators in England from recording a song to support their country’s team in this summer’s World Cup. Problem is it’s one of those songs that is grating the first time you listen to it. And it gets worse on repeated listens.

The song, entitled “Let’s Hear It England,” features commentators from ITV, BBC, Sky and ESPN together with the Cotswold Male Voice Choir. Commentators appearing on the track include Guy Mowbray, Jon Champion, Clive Tyldesley, Martin Tyler, Steve Banyard, Rob Hawthorne, Ian Darke, Peter Brackley, Simon Brotherton, Peter Drury, and Steve Wilson.

The project was created by football commentator Steve Banyard. He composed the song and oversaw the production. “For the demo track, Steve recorded all the instrumentation, and much of that is retained in the final version.
Steve began playing the piano from age 9, and has been writing music since he was 11, but this is the first time he’s ever released one of his songs,” according to the Commentators United website.

While I enjoy Banyard as a commentator and I appreciate the effort he has made to create a song to get behind the England team, this is a song that people will get sick of hearing over and over again between now and the World Cup in June.

Take, for example, the lyrics to the chorus:

“Let’s hear it En-ger-land (oh-ay, oh-ay-o)
Let’s hear it En-ger-land (oh-ay, oh-ay-o)
We’re gonna red, white, blue you
Shoot right through you now.”

Yikes.

What do you think? It’s definitely no New Order “World In Motion,” or “Three Lions” by The Lightning Seeds.

30 Responses to Football Commentators Launch England World Cup Song

1. ovalball says:

Aren’t songs like this *supposed* it irritate the other sides?

Sounds like a good job to me, but…….

USA! USA! USA!

2. Brickthrower says:

Was this supposed to be posted on April 1st or is this serious? If serious, then yea wow…

3. Josh says:

I feel like throwing up after that….

4. wozza says:

Steve Banyard: give that man the Eurovision title now! Extra-ordinary!!

5. SSReporters says:

It’s not bad at all. Then again I won’t be in England when this plays thousands of times. :)

Steve Banyard is giving away two copies with autographs from him and four other commentators, including ESPN World Cup man Ian Darke.

I along with another user have had a “guess the commentators” competition for Sky Sports and the World Feed running concurrently all season and the winner of each will win those copies.

The song is also for charity as well when you buy it for 79p ($1.21 US).

All of this work from them is going to be in vain once they do go out in penalties in the quarterfinals. :)

6. This sucks, bring back vindaloo

7. Ricky B says:

They’re gonna red, white, and *what* us?! Are we sure this song wasn’t actually written by one Tobias Fünke?

8. Patrick says:

Not trying to rabble rouse but…

You would think us Americans would come up with something this corny.

Take out “En-ger-land ” and insert “Am-eri-ca” and it works better for the States.

Who am I kidding? The states being creative enough to get some songs going..pfft. Enjoy your song’s im sure we’ll be doing the wave, chanting lame ass U-S-A, yelling D-fence, or something as equally lame. (>_<)

9. free bet says:

Well, let me just say that I preferred the New Order version MUCH better

10. I stopped reading and had little desire to hear the song when i saw the name Clive Tyldesley.

11. This One Guy In Detroit says:

“Let’s hear it En-ger-land (oh-ay, oh-ay-o)
    Let’s hear it En-ger-land (oh-ay, oh-ay-o)
    We’re gonna red, white, blue you
    Shoot right through you now.”

OK, so Martin Tyler is volunteering to sing words like this, and some American fans are actually thrilled that he’s calling our game against England on June 12? He has just declared that he wants our opponent to “shoot right through” other World Cup teams — which, ya know, includes us — and you’re just tickled ESPN has picked Tyler instead of an American voice?

Whatever.

• SSReporters says:

Wow. You’re being moronic.

He didn’t sing a single line. None of the commentators did. They did “commentary” style lines in the full song.

• This One Guy In Detroit says:

Oh, I am a moron, for sure. But I’m also right. My point is accurate, and correct, and infallible, and it should be absorbed by you until you completely agree with me.

12. George says:

Check out the England World song `Green Fields of England` by George and the Dragons. It is getting played at English football stadiums around the country and receiving national radio airplay. Hear it at http://www.green-fields-of-england.com

13. Joe Harley says:

I’ve recorded a demo song for England World Cup 2010 it,s titled Lace up your boots. It’s an amusing song with a catchy chorus you’ll sing along to.
    You can watch video and listen at:
    Comments welcome
    Cheers Joe Harley

14. My word. Looking at the list of names involved and the chorus I can’t even bring myself to listen. Is it as bad as a fear? I think I might get really drunk and listen to it, so I can forget afterwards.

15. Anyone remember this one from Euro 2004?

It was put together by TalkSport. At least, they were playing it over and over again that Spring/Summer. I rather liked it, actually.

16. Debs Moyce says:

Check out Chico’s fun World Cup 2010 song “Its England Time”

Video to be released soon, filmed at Pinewood studios with loads of celebrities involved!

All profits go to charity http://www.rainbowchildfoundation.co.uk

Will be available on i-tunes 7th June – 5 mixes at 59p each!

Go on, you know you want to!

17. Hippy says:

I think the commentaters song is catchy and good to sing along to and it’s for charity. Why knock it?

18. Steve Parker says:

Seems like everyone and his dog is having a go at making an “unofficial” England song for this World Cup. I’ve listened to a few, still Three Lions is the best for me, with The Beautiful Game

being the best of the new ones.

19. kingharold says:

It’s an ok song, but there are other ones out there better.
    I saw this one this morning.
    Cliff Portwood and members of the 1966 World cup squad sing it.
    What a great tune and singalong chorus.
    Looks like a real supporters song to me.

20. yates says:

ok I think that was possibly one of the worst songs I have ever heard. They wont seriously be singing this at the word cup? I know one thing there will be no one in a socceroos jersey singing anything this absurd!

21. Moncler says:

“I don’t have time to dedicate to a blog…” As Hannah Hager pointed out, no one has less time than Holly Chapple who was a panelist, owns her own business and has 7 children (yes, 7). Every night, Holly dedicates time to writing a post which equates to one hour. Holly has gained national and regional media coverage and contributes it to her blog. You won’t know the ROI of a blog until you try! Ray pointed out studies show the more you blog, the increased chance of booking business from it whether weekly, daily, or multiple times a day. Once you decide how often you’ll blog, it’s about finding time to fulfill that goal.

22. Good day! I just would like to give huge thumbs up for the great info you have here on this post. I shall be coming again to your weblog for more soon.

23. sandy says: