TUES, 2:45PM ET
ARS
BES
WED, 2:45PM ET
BRA
LUFC

What’s The Secret To RBNY’s Early Success? Simplicity

red bulls new york team photo Whats The Secret To RBNYs Early Success? Simplicity

When Hans Backe was announced as the new head coach of this club I already had my doubts about how he would attempt to make this club either better or worse than last years squad. As we all know foreign coaches from Europe outside of Steve Nicol have a track record of failing terribly in MLS. But since he instilled the confidence in his players and getting them to a strong level of fitness, the positive results came quickly than most of us have imagined.

The man in the middle on the left of Eric Soler has already done a solid job in getting this club to play and prepare for their matches either during the undefeated pre-season or the first two regular season matches to start out of the gate quickly. They are moving as a unit attacking with the ball & defending the goal when they don’t have the ball. It maybe a simple 4-4-2, but it’s not so simple if a single cog is loose and it could ruin the machine.

All the players have bought in to what head coach Hans Backe has praised and either with him on the sidelines or not, they have the belief that they can get into a match and pull out a result either doing it pretty, or scrapping for the full three points. But during the match against the Sounders, Backe was no where to be seen and the first test of him not available was already a concern.

On the morning of the match he checked into a local Seattle hospital to see why he had stomach pains that were so sever. After an examination he was fine, but was advised to watch the match from his hotel room for precautionary reasons. He was able to fly back early Sunday morning with the club and attended training on Monday. On that same day Backe consulted with Red Bulls Team Internist, Michael Farber, MD and other specialists about his condition.

That’s when he decided to undergo a small invasive procedure that evening to remove his gallbladder after being diagnosed with cholecystitis. He’s been recovering for this current week and will fly to Los Angeles on the morning of the match when Red Bull faces Chivas-USA.

If you saw the match last week on Fox Soccer Channel you saw the club with their few new additions in Joel Lindpere, Roy Miller & Tim Ream along with the rest of the starting eleven that stayed from last year execute their game plan. They also played with some inspiration to get the win for their new coach that has, shall we say fixed the complicated matter from last year.

While Juan Carlos Osorio did get his side to their first MLS Cup Final, the tinkering of the line up away from home caused alot of problems in 2008 & finally overtook them last year. Sometimes over managing can take the confidence out of your side and they could lose faith very easily. Yes once again it’s only the first two matches of the season and there is still a long way to go including qualifying for the 2010 US Open Cup, but right now the players have confidence in Hans Backe & their top assistant Richie Williams if Backe is not available due to illness.

From Red Bulls Reader & Big Apple Soccer

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, New York Red Bulls. Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to What’s The Secret To RBNY’s Early Success? Simplicity

1. Joey Clams says:

I think it’s great that a team has an overtly Northern European philosophy. Anything that flies in the face of beautiful game pollyanishness and high-mindedness is all right with me.

2. Charles says:

I thought Backe was in shock over the road win.
    Hope he is doing fine and keeps the Red Bulls doing better than last year.

3. Daniel Feuerstein says:

He was Charles. But his influence has already carried over since the pre-season.

4. Oh_yeah says:

I think that coach Backe have done well with the team because he has given every player on the pitch his assignment for playing the game, and he does not make formation for a match complicated. I would agree with your article that he keeps things simple.

5. james says:

“As we all know foreign coaches from Europe outside of Steve Nicol have a track record of failing terribly in MLS.”

6. Daniel Feuerstein says:

James, what anti Columbus crap are you spewing? I have never written anything anti-Columbus at all. I wrote about their CONCACAF Champions League Quarterfinal matches and was full of praise for them. The only reason Robert Warzycha doesn’t count is very simple.

HE PLAYED IN THIS LEAGUE BACK IN 1996 BEFORE HE STAYED WITH THE CLUB AS AN ASSISTANT! THAT’S WHY HE DOESN’T COUNT!!!!!!!!!!
    Since you have such a hard on about exposing people on this site about being anti-Columbus how about talking to Blake Compton before you throw out the conspiricy theory card on here. If your a newbie to MLS how about reading your facts before making an accusation like that.

Nowak doesn’t count either because he played for the Fire back in 1998 before he coached DC United in 2004.

Hans Backe has never played in MLS, Ruud Guillet never played in MLS, Carlos De Los Cobos never played in MLS, Jason Smith from Colorado never played in MLS. The only reason I put Steve Nicol on the pedestal is this. After his playing days in Liverpool & coaching with Notts County he came over to the States and spent time with the Boston Bulldogs of the old D3 Pro League in USL between his interim stint in 1999 & his official appointment as head coach of the New England Revolution.

If you have players that come over to MLS and spend their time for a good ammount of years, then they want a coaching job within. That’s when the foreign coaching status gets removed. You have to think before you talk this crap James.

7. James says:

Hahaha, pretty defensive, don’t you think?

I was a Crew season ticket holder in 1996 and unfortunately had to switch to the Quakes when I moved to the Bay Area this year.

I’ve noticed some anti-Columbus sentiment on the site (crowd numbers questioned, etc.) and was not commenting on you specifically.

Of course I realize Warzycha played in the league, and I guess by that standard he’s not “foreign.” But he certainly had quite the European career before he came to the MLS.

• Daniel Feuerstein says:

Just remember what you wrote is why I made my comments. Don’t lump me into what might have happened in the past. I have given the Crew plenty of respect and credit when it was deserved. I have a good friendship with Blake Compton of the Hudson Street Hooligans & if I ever overstepped my bounds on the Crew, I would hear it from him first.

“Does Warzycha not count? Or is this just the same old anti-Columbus bias that we see on this site all of the time.” Is what you said. That’s lumping me into the group of your baloney “Anti-Columbus Bias”.

Robert Warzycha may have started his career in Europe, but he never coached in Europe. He is a foreign person, but when it comes to playing & coaching in MLS he is off that list. Which means he doesn’t count on that list. That’s how much respect I have for Warzycha.

If Juan Pablo Angel ended his career with RBNY and wanted to get into coaching with the club, he too is off that list. Warzycha has the knowledge of the rules, knows the players and is a good name from Poland to bring in quality players to Columbus or the league. So how about my Anti-Columbus Bias there James.

8. BlancDaBody says:

The Bulls have a more free flowing, uptempo style that allows them to counter attack with efficiency. This is something that was sorely lacking last season as Osorio had the team parking the bus with a million defenders and 1 striker.

We just need to get Angel some decent service from the wings (looking at you Dane) and we’ll be even more solid.

9. Wow says:

Seriously, sometimes it seems like Dan’s writing his articles in a different language, running them through Google Translator, and posting them here. I WANT to read his articles (even if most of what he’s said has already been said on numerous other websites), but all of the grammar and spelling errors make it damn near impossible to do so.

How about we find an editor to help him out?

10. Daniel Feuerstein says:

I always edit my articles before I post them wow. So stop it already.

• Wow Again says:

It’s terrific that you edit your articles, Dan. But a problem with editing your own work is that you skip over the mistakes that you make because, to your mind, you don’t think there’s a mistake being made.

You misuse the words “quickly”, “maybe”, “no where”, and “sever” in the article, and fall in to the trap that is the word “a lot”. Your run-on sentences have a habit of switching tenses. Some of your sentences lack basic structure.

It shouldn’t be difficult to have someone (a family member, a neighbor, a local sixth grader of moderate-to-exceptional intelligence) take a look over the article and make suggestions on how to improve it.

I like this site, I honestly do, but I also like basic grammar.