Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Nick Green Interview, Season Preview: MLS Talk Podcast

subscribe to podcast1 Nick Green Interview, Season Preview: MLS Talk Podcast

The 2010 Major League Soccer season is finally upon us, and to usher in a campaign that starts tonight at Qwest Field in Seattle I welcome Daily Breeze and 100 Percent Soccer writer Nick Green. Nick was kind enough to help breakdown the upcoming season, going through both conferences to assess the prognosis for the league’s teams.

As a bonus, this edition of the MLS Talk Podcast features audio from Dynamo players Brian Ching, Brad Davis and Eddie Robinson as well as coach Dominic Kinnear.

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to Nick Green Interview, Season Preview: MLS Talk Podcast

1. albiceleste_10_maradroga says:

There’s something messed up with the post. There’s no audio here. It’s on

but if you subscribe to it, no audio shows up there either. You can only get it by dl direct from libsysn. What gives?

2. Richard Farley says:

Hello:

Thanks for the feedback. I’ve corrected the problem here at MLS Talk and made sure that the podcast is working via libsyn and iTunes.

Apologies for any inconvenience.

-rf

3. eplnfl says:

I was able to download this podcast no problem. Frankly, I am sorry I took the time out to listen to it. Richard, I am sorry to say that MLS fans should not listen to it.

Nick Green is a first class eurosnob in my opinion. He showed little knowledge of the league outside of the Western Conference and has little love for the current structure of the MLS by his comments. I did feel your knowledge of the league was good Richard, but you fell into step with the eurosnob approach to MLS. We are a North American league and we can and should do things our own way! If Mr. Green was not excited by the run up to the playoff’s and the playoff’s last year, then he was not watching! May be he has heard that European leagues are talking about playoffs to get fan interest up. His basic comment about MLS is that there is nothing to get excited about. Too bad he feels that way and I suppose that a league where only two teams can possibly win every year is better and relegation battles have merit? I am certain whatever European league he favors is being threaten by the success of MLS and is a motivation to slam the league for him.

News flash to Mr. Green, MLS is breaking for the World Cup this year, is adding new teams, has labor peace, is opening new stadiums, and has a loyal fan base. This is the season preview on opening day please put on a guest that gets everyone pumped up for the season. Why should we follow MLS through this site if we hear from a eurosnob expert who tells us that we do not have much to root for.

I am sorry to have to comment this way but MLS fans deserve better then an attack on the league when it kicks off it’s season.

• dan says:

yea i love the playoff system and the conference system.

with the playoff system we have a regular season champ and a tourney champ.

with the conference system i view it this way 2 tables for 2 leagues in one. by having a east and west you can have twice as many teams as other leagues. USA is a big country and Canada is big too. I can see one day way in the future where the league has 20 teams in each conference maybe like 40 years down the line.

• Richard says:

Lou: I actually very much enjoy the playoff system although I do not like divisions or conferences when there is a balanced schedule. I don’t feel that’s “Eurosnobbery” at all.

At the same time, I will often ask questions to get people’s points of view out just to let the listener judge them for themselves. Whether those questions reflect my point of view is not necessarily perceptible.

I get what you’re saying, but can I ask a favor. The term “eurosnob” is not a great term to use in this discussion. Can we think of something else? Most often, people use that term as a weapon, and it has become a lightning rod that perverts discussion.

Thanks for the feedback, though. I do, however, disagree about Nick, but ultimately, listeners are entitled to their opinions.

4. eplnfl says:

Richard thank you for your response. I thought your job as a presenter was professional throughout. I am enjoying the Sounders v. Union game as we speak so I will provide more comments later.

5. eplnfl says:

Richard:

I did want to further respond. The podcast itself from a stand alone point of view was well done. I believe an editorial decision should of been made to say that well the guest has some views that where not best suited to a season preview. That is hard to do I know, you line-up the guest and do the interview and it’s hard to say well is this fit for a season preview. It was not.

Your views and Mr. Green’s views about the league structure and playoff system are important and need to be heard. There was just a better time and place for them then the season preview podcast. I am not suggesting that this site should not air those views or not have Mr. Green as a guest just that it was the wrong time and place.

I have a history of trying to make intelligent comment and avoid name calling. I do feel the guest has a rather poor opinion of MLS and US Soccer as a whole. Call it euro-centric if you wish. American-Canadian soccer has the right to have it’s own structure and create it’s own tradition without hearing that UEFA does not like it that way or FIFA for that matter.

Again thank you for taking the time out to respond.

6. LI Matt says:

One of my huge pet peeves is the constant whining of people who think everything MLS does differently from “the rest of the world” (by which they usually mean “England”) is by definition bad and hurting the league.

Judging by the above, I’m not alone.