SUN, 11AM ET
GAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
BAS
LFC

Fan Perspective: Wayne Rooney Injury Concern or The Knee That Carries a Nation

Fan Perspective: Wayne Rooney Injury Concern or The Knee That Carries a Nation

It seems my fear, dread and worry over the past few months has somehow manifested itself into an Atlantic Ocean-traveling orb of negativity. It’s left my old injured knee in Southeastern America, and traveled the 4,000 some miles to Manchester, England and snuck into the knee of the man I place my footballing hopes and dreams upon, Mr. Wayne Rooney.

My reverse self-fulfilling prophecy that Rooney would somehow pick up a niggle, knack or knock has consumed my days, nights and worst nightmares for the better part of 2010. My negative thoughts were justified last Sunday when I read a tweet that sees “squeaky bum time” approaching from The Times Oliver Kay that went something like this:

“Something to clutch at for #arsenal and #chelsea fans: Rooney limping as he left Old Trafford with Mrs R. Six days to recover for Bolton tho”

I immediately got that sinking feeling. You know, the one you get when you find out your girl is getting off with your best mate behind your back, or the one you get when you’ve been asked to speak in front of a room of total strangers. I knew this was going to happen and in some minor way I feel like I’ve contributed to this injury. For that, I apologize.

I suppose the sky may not be totally falling and my hopes are that I’ve reached the extent of my over exaggeration. Initial reports suggest Rooney may be rested for this weekend’s trip to Bolton and that the injury, for the most part, hasn’t kept Rooney from playing for United, but largely just caused him discomfort and swelling after matches. As bad an omen as a swollen knee sounds, shouldn’t a bit of rest and rehab see the knock cured?

I do realize though that I don’t need to go into detail just how valuable Rooney is for club and country in the upcoming months. I realize there’s no reason for me to mention the Champions League quarter-final v Bayern Munich (hopefully followed by a semi and a final), or the all important business end of the Premier League season as United hold in their hands their fourth title in a row, or that small little event this summer where 32 countries will all be involved, so I won’t mention any of those massive events.

So here we stand Manchester United and England supporters, a handful of matches left to win an unprecedented fourth title in a row, and a slightly bigger handful of days until England kick a ball in anger against the United States. Our hero, our little buddy, our friend, is facing the most important run of fixtures he’ll likely see in his young career.

Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill? Or, is this knee knock really something to be concerned about? The last thing I want to experience again is a World Cup Finals with an unfit Rooney. Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt.

Whatever your opinion, there’s a lot riding on that English knee, and I for one hope it sorts itself out sooner rather than later.

17 Responses to Fan Perspective: Wayne Rooney Injury Concern or The Knee That Carries a Nation

1. Coach says:

The March 30 and 31 Champions League matches – does anyone know which will be shown on FSC, FSP and FoxSportsNet?

2. ruffneckc says:

As an Arsenal fan, this is the news I’ve been waiting for all season long. United’s challenge will surely fall apart without him. Cynical? Yes. But I Rooney *must* be stopped, even if it by his knee!

• Jesse says:

ruffneckc,

Interesting perspective coming from an Arsenal fan seeing as you’ve not won much recently and more specifically, injuries have played a pretty big role in your lack of silverware in the last few years.

Good luck to you, as I’m sure the title race will be an exciting one this year, but I myself would never celebrate or wish injury upon my fiercest rivals.

• ruffneckc says:

Fair enough and to each his own. Injuries have wrecked several seasons of ours and caused us to struggle. Some Karma would be great, ’tis all I’m getting at. Even if it is a bit cynical – sorry.

3. AtlantaPompey says:

With Americans in form and getting healthy, and the English getting more and more injuries, I like our chances on June 12. A wounded Rooney wouldn’t hurt either.

I’m just saying…

USA! USA! USA!

4. franco gatete says:

rooney? Injured? Yipeeeeeeeeee we are home free and if he dares step out at bolton…..

5. franco gatete says:

i do not know what Fergie feed those guys that his key players never seem to pick up knock no matter what. e.g. Exhibit A Ronaldo the guy just went on like forever and now Rooney. I really want to see him play at the World Cup no doubt but a little case of a “spanner in the knee” wouldn’t hurt @ all. In a true blue and we lost Essien and Cole the Gunners have been without Van Persie and Cesc has been in and out all season so I gues its United turn to take the bitter pill!

6. JKB says:

Honestly, you sound like such a twat. You’re not english, stop trying to be. “Our hero” …. “best mate”… Seriously? That’s pathetic

• Jesse says:

JKB,

Interesting feedback.

Why can’t Rooney be my hero even though I’m from America? Just because I was born in the States, do I have to support the USMNT?

Keep in mind that although words like mate, pints, pitch, whatever you pick, are words used more in England, they are in fact a part of the English language which we also speak in America.

I’ve invested quite a lot of my time, years, money and thouhgt on English culture, so I think I can use the odd mate or bloody hell if I see fit.

Are you that protective of your culture that you hate life when an outsider also relates to it?

Your anger at my love for all things English related leads me to believe you feel threatened by me or by Americans in some way.

I assure you MATE, there’s no reason to feel this way. I respect, love and get your culture. I love your football, your bands, your beers, your TV shows and your celebrities.

Why can’t we all get along?

• ovalball says:

“Why can’t we all get along?”….I couldn’t agree more, Rodney. ;-)

I am always a little bemused when some of our English brethren (or even other Yanks) take umbrage at our occasional use of “their” terms. We have immersed ourselves in the EPL. Week after week we listen to English commentators. We read commentary from English fans and pundits. Exactly how are we to somehow ignore the onslaught of “English” English? Some of it justs starts to sink in and I don’t think there’s anything particularly conscious about it.

The other day I used the word “field” in a post rather than “pitch”. Reading it later, it hit me like a ton of bricks. I thought, “WTF?” It neither looked right nor sounded right. I will use “chuffed” because I like it. It sounds perfectly like the feeling it expresses. I find myself thinking, “He didn’t know much about that,” while watching a match.

Rather than be incensed I would think our English friends would be happy that they are slowly converting us. First they bend us to their will with the language. Next thing you know we’re petitioning the motherland to take us back. :-D

• Jesse says:

ovalball,

well said and my thoughts exactly. After only a short time of totally immersing oneself in countless matches, podcasts, articles, blogs, etc., etc., the lingo seems to seep in almost unnoticed. “english” English becomes our chosen language when talking about football with a sort of natural delivery. It just sounds right.

This topic has been looked at before on EPL Talk and I’m sure will come up again in the weeks and days leading up to the England v USA match when I plan to post an article on why I support England over USA.

Thanks for the feedback

7. Justin says:

Wow, the maturity, and by that I mean the lack-there-of, of some comments never cease to amaze me. It must be nice at times to be so ignorant JKB. The simple act of calling someone a “twat” discounts anything that could be written afterwards. By the way, this is a site dedicated to the “ENGLISH Premier League,” why would a reader be offended by an article that uses the vernacular that is used in England?? Please refrain from commenting on articles unless your postings have some related substance…..

8. Ezekiel says:

thats good to hear, i pray he shold be out for the season so chelsea will win the EPL and man U should fall apart

9. Ezekiel says: