MON, 3PM ET
ATL
OLY
TUES, 2:45PM ET
JUV
MAL

Why Soccer Shirts Are More Than Just Shirts

joleon lescott manchester city shirt Why Soccer Shirts Are More Than Just Shirts

When you’re wearing the shirt of your favorite soccer team in public, have you considered what nonverbal communications you’re sending?

Sure, the majority of the time, we’re wearing a soccer shirt because it’s the team we support, we like the design, it’s comfortable, fashionable and sometimes it’s one of the few pieces of clothing that is clean and readily available. But a soccer shirt is much more than that.

Let me explain.

When you wear a shirt, you’re sending nonverbal messages to the people who walk past you and notice the shirt you’re wearing. One, you’re different. A soccer shirt stands out from ordinary clothes. It’s usually more colorful and the design looks completely different than the plain clothing that most other people wear. People notice that you’re different. Some may like that. Some may not. But whether you like it or not, you’re sending a message to people that you’re different than the average person walking down the street.

Two, you’re sending nonverbal communications to strangers that you’re a soccer fan. It’s just like buying a T-shirt at a concert for your favorite rock band. You want people to come up to you and engage in a conversation. “Hey, I like them too.” You’re identifying yourself as a soccer fan, but also as a supporter of a specific club thus allowing at least two topics that strangers can discuss with you.

Three, you’re advertising a brand. It’s no wonder that Nike, Adidas, Puma and other manufacturers spend enormous amounts of money on advertising and securing contracts with soccer clubs. Wearing a soccer shirt with the Nike logo on your right chest sends a message to the public and, in itself, is a form of “free” advertising for the shirt manufacturer.

Four, not only are you advertising a brand, but you’re also advertising a sponsor. Corporations have their name and logo emblazoned across most soccer shirts. When I used to wear my Swansea City away shirt in the 90s that looked like an AC Milan shirt, the front of it had the words “Gulf Oil” across it. Complete strangers in malls in the United States would come up to me and ask me if I worked for the oil company. They were perplexed, as I was when they asked me the question. Whether we want to believe it or not, we are advertising corporate brands when we wear shirts of our favorite soccer clubs.

Five, if your shirt features a number and/or name on the back, you’re also communicating to the public that you support the player identified. You just have to hope that the footballer stays with the club. Otherwise the shirt becomes outdated far too quickly!

Six, and perhaps most importantly from a psychological perspective, you wearing that shirt is sending a message that you’re part of an exclusive set of people. Not everyone can own a soccer shirt. Not everyone can afford. And not everyone can figure out how to even find one. But wearing that shirt tells people that you’re special. It’s just walking into a nightclub or restaurant and seeing a certain group of people sitting behind a velvet rope that is exclusively for VIPs.

These are just half a dozen of the nonverbal communications you send out there when you wear a shirt. There may be more than those. Sure, wearing a soccer shirt is a harmless joy. But whether you like to think it or not, you’re buying much more than the support of your favorite soccer team. You’re buying the attention of the public.

70 Responses to Why Soccer Shirts Are More Than Just Shirts

1. Richard The Red (Devil) says:

Being a United supporter, I find it hard to wear the shirt under the current sponsor. AIG isn’t exactly loved in these parts. I’ll be more than happy when the new sponsor, AON, takes over after this season. I love the new shirt but couldn’t bring myself to purchase it with the AIG logo on it. I have the United badge tattooed on my right forearm so i get more than enough recognition/stick over that. Being a UPS driver I see lots of different people throughout the day and you’d be amazed to find out how many football supporters there are out there. In terms of supporters on my route, there are two Liverpool, one Porto, one Villa, two Everton, one Arsenal, and quite a few U.S. supporters.

• HirsheysKissMyArse says:

Actually, even before the meltdown, I didn’t buy an AIG shirt. I have 9 United shirts (a 1993 or 1994 home with Sharp, a Beckham from 2002, Giggs third shirt from 2004, four other away kits, one other home shirt and one other third shirt), and all of them have Sharp or Vodafone. I know people know Sharp as a brand, but it was so new back then that more people were interested in the shadowed Old Trafford on the shirt. It hurt, too, because I loved the shirt from last season.

I have shirts from a number of teams (I support United but I just love soccer jerseys), but I am conscious about the corporate sponsors, and I don’t buy them if they have a company people in the U.S. will immediately know. Aside from the one Sharp Utd. jersey, I have a 1994 Arsenal jersey with JVC on the front that a friend bought me in London. Otherwise, I have the Utd. shirts and:

– a 2004 Newcastle jersey with Northern Rock on it
      – a Celtic 100-year anniversary jersey with Carling
      – a 1999 Leeds jersey with Strongbow (another gift. some people know this cider, but most don’t)
      – a Henry Arsenal jersey from the final year at Highbury with O2
      – a Barcelona jersey with no sponsor
      – a Donovan Everton away shirt (gets more comments from the pink that from Chang Beer)

The funny thing is that I went to a NASCAR race over the weekend, and this sponsor concern does not exist. In fact, they revel in the brands they can wear. It’s an odd feeling knowing that people are walking around with Extenze tank tops on and not thinking how odd that is.

• Saul says:

Hey bro, I like the idea of having a United crest in permanent ink on my body. I’d really like to see how the tattoo on your forearm looks! I am thinking of getting the crest inked on my chest, in the exact location where it lies on the shirt.

If you could send me a picture of your tattoo, it would would be greatly appreciated.

If you can send the pic to saulbarrera83@gmail.com

Thanks.

Glory Glory Man United!

2. masterblaster says:

Ditto for my Aston Villa jerseys and training shirts, which people in America tend to think support ACORN (the evil group that helped Obama get elected) instead of ACORNS (a children’s hospice/charity in the West Midlands).

Living in Illinois, it almost feels like being in an elite club when you can talk to other football supporters in a sea of NFL, NBA, MLB fans.

• Allen says:

Same, except I can’t be arsed to care about “politics” these days.

As for me, I have the following compiled over about six to seven years of footsy love (I’m 17 now, here’s what still fits):
      2008 A.C. Milan Ronaldinho Home
      2009/10 Chelsea Essien Home
      2008/09 Aston Villa Agbonlahor Home
      2009/10 Arsenal Arshavin Away
      2006 Aston Villa Third
      2005 Valencia C.F. Home

And I also have one of the Umbro England Home jerseys with Lampard as well as the current U.S. Home and Ghana Home.

Yes, I know it’s not possible for me to have both Chelsea and Arsenal shirts, but hey, as long as it isn’t United ;-). I’m much like HirsheysKissMyArse above, I love football but I support Chelsea.

3. RobG4 says:

Here is a question for you. Would you wear a shirt of a player you liked even if you did not support his team?

In the US, it is not uncommon to wear sport jerseys of football/basketball stars whom play for teams you do not support. People lenjoy collecting the jerseys of players they like.

When I first began following the EPL, my team allegiance wasn’t yet fixed. I liked ManU, Arsenal, even Pompey when they were promoted. I especially liked certain players, including Ryan Giggs, Freddie Ljungberg, Paul Scholes, John Terry, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, etc. Just watching the stars play was great, and watching the big 4 was usually enjoyable.

I ended up collecting jerseys of players I liked. I have a Giggs jersey in my closet next to a Terry jersey, next to Gattuso and Puyol jerseys.

Along the way I started following Fulham, when McBride, Dempsey, Bocanegra, Keller and company helped them perform the Great Escape under Roy Hodgson in the ’07-’08 season.

Since that season I have been a Fulham supporter and now have McBride and Dempsey jerseys in my closet next to Giggs, Terry, Gattuso, and Puyol.

I haven’t worn the Giggs or Terry jerseys much since I started following Fulham. They are beautiful jerseys, and I would love to wear them again. It just feels wrong though, going to the pub in a Terry jersey and being a Fulham fan hahaha!

So my question is, can an American supporter get away with wearing an opponents jersey if he likes the player rather than the team? My lonely Giggs jersey is dying to know.

• masterblaster says:

I say definitely, especially if you explain it if anyone asks. Generally, the people who would give you shite about it are people you probably know anyways.

I am an Aston Villa supporter here in the States, but I also own a Clint Dempsey Team USA jersey that I proudly wear. I don’t own his Fulham version, but I will normally hope he plays well and his team wins in 90% of his games, except when they play Villa.

• I don’t think you could get away with it in England. You would get away with having an England shirt with a players name from another club but not a club shirt. In fact I think Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea fans would probably go as far as not wearing an England shirt with a rival clubs player’s name on it.
      If you support Preston North End like I do then it doesn’t really matter who’s name is on the back because there certainly wont be any Preston players playing for England

• masterblaster says:

I have no perspective of England so i was thinking mostly from an outside country like the U.S. where you could probably go a week or longer in public without seeing a football jersey.

Another quick question…when watching most games in the EPL, the fans seem to be wearing mostly plain clothes as opposed to jerseys and other club-related apparel. Is the reason for that as obvious as I think it is, or am I missing something?

• No I think they will be wearing the football tops but it is freezing over here at the moment so there’s probably a few layers over the top of the them. You’ll probably notice more people with them on when the weather gets a bit warmer.

• Richard The Red (Devil) says:

I think you neglected to mention the Geordies up in Newcastle that will go without a top in any kind of weather. Tattooes, beer guts, and white skin is a premium up there.

• HirsheysKissMyArse says:

Agreed. I own an Henry jersey from the final year at Highbury, and I bought it because I respect Henry and it was an historic season. And now I have a Donovan shirt, but that’s a national thing. aside from those two, it’s only names from my team that I would wear.

4. billy v says:

Shirts are becoming my souvenir of choice when I travel. My prize is a Fenerbahce shirt that I got at the Grand Bazaar in Istanbul. I needed no other souvenirs.

5. M. Sparks says:

RobG4

I know what you are talking about. I am a Manchester United supporter but I had two great Brad Friedel shirts. One from when he was with liverpool and one with Villa. I had the same problem. I loved the player and the look of the shirts but couldn’t bring myself to wear them as a United supporter. So I gave them both away to mates that are fans of those teams. My mates were thrilled and I know that those great kits aren’t lonely in the closet. I even get to see them being worn at the pub from time to time by my mates. It is like seeing an old friend.

6. M Garcia says:

Fantastic subject. Agree completely with all points made here. My wife just rolls her eyes when I put on the Liverpool kit before every match. When I go out to walk the dog or do things out in public where I can get away with wearing a football shirt, a little more flexibility in my selection. I’ve been fortunate enough to know individuals who are part of football in the UK and have several matchworn shirts. When I’m out, I’ll wear Maurice Edu’s Ranger’s matchworn shirt from a game he played in last May against Hibs, or David Edwards (Wolves) matchworn against Charlton that I witnessed last March for which he came into the players lounge and gave to me personally. However, nothing matches the feeling of putting on the matchworn Steven Gerrard with the captains armband from the derby at Anfield in 2007, that one comes out for the big games, albeit with mixed success. First time was in 07′ when they beat Chelsea to go to the CL Final, second, when they beat Arsenal to get to the semi’s, but unfortunately haven’t since.
    Speaking of names on the back. My mates in England think it’s a bit cheeky, but I’ve got a friend on Bournemouth’s coaching staff and gave a speech to the lads at the academy last year. As I was leaving I received a shirt from last season and subsequently went to the shop and had my last name and number printed on the shirt itself. And I’ve done it on an LFC shirt also. So even if my favorite player leaves the club, at least these one’s don’t have to stay in the closet. My most unusual shirt has to be a matchworn FC Copenhagen shirt from the 2006 Champions League group stage played against Manchester United at Old Trafford. The guys name is Fredrik Berglund and the reason I picked it up was because I did not have a Kappa shirt and one of my mate’s from up that way picked it off the pile at the end of the match and promptly sent it over. It’s a great piece with very unusual material and one of my favorites. Again, great subject Gaffer.

7. man99utd says:

Like Richard the Red said the AIG can bring about conversations I’d rather not engage in. But interestingly it also brings about another nonverbal message. I saw a bloke with a Chelsea shirt on at Costco the other day. Our eyes stayed locked on one another even as I walked past him. The nonverbal message you ask?? “Are we going to do this? I’ll take you out right her in Costco.” Then our wives brought a little sanity to the situation. Ironically, my 14 year old has just asked for a Chelsea shirt for his birthday. It’s ok though, he likes living with his gran….

• Up the Chels!! In Chicago. says:

Your comment just made my day, I own multiple Chelsea track jackets and jerseys, it never fails, whenever I wear them out there always seems to be someone I come across with either a Man United/Liverpool/Arsenal jersey or jacket on. I know all too well that “eyes locked” moment. My girlfriend will usually notice me being locked in or she’ll notice the other person as well and say “oh geeze, here we go”.

The same thing happens when I bust out my German National Team gear, though, when I went up to Summerfest in Milwaukee last summer, I had my Schweinsteiger jersey on and another guy had a Klose jersey, we had a good chat. I love the Soccer “Fraternity” we have here in the States. Great article.

• Keith says:

Josh? Is that you?

• Allen says:

Same situation with me in New Orleans (we’ve got a high number of Gooners for some reason…hmmm…). I get the eyes locked moment when I’m out around town as I own the aforementioned Essien home from this year, one of the longsleeve blank homes from last year, a scarf, hoodie, jacket, and string bag.

No problems though, I’m happier to see footy fans who aren’t afraid to show their love for the game than just the rival team.

• ovalball says:

lol. Almost fell off my chair.

8. Lonny says:

My first Manchester United jersey was the 93/94 road jersey — black with the Sharp Viewcam logo (which I still have and break out from time to time). People thought that I either: a) worked for Sharp, or b) really liked camcorders. Now they see the crest and get it. Like Richard, I couldn’t bring myself to buy the new AIG jersey, not matter how fantastic the black kit looks. I’m holding out for Aon as well — hopefully Nike delivers a winner.

To answer RobG4: There’s a slight chance I’d wear a national team jersey of a player, but not his club team — even if he didn’t play in England. I for one am too passionate about Manchester United to wear another teams jersey — especially as often as teams cross paths in Europe. I like Gattuso and respect the hell out of him, but couldn’t wear an AC Milan jersey.

9. masterblaster says:

What about someone who is not a supporter of a particular team? Or someone who is primarily a supporter of a national team? Are there people out there, like a Dutchman, who would wear a Van Persie Arsenal kit on Saturday and a Kuyt Liverpool jersey on a Sunday and root for the individual players instead of the team?

Gaffer, I remember earlier this year on this site hearing a story from a pub where a guy was wearing a West Ham jersey or something but jumped up and celebrating a Dempsey goal for Fulham while ignoring the West Ham game that was on with a different TV. What rules apply to a neutral who maybe was celebrating a player on his fantasy team scoring a goal?

10. scott smith says:

I agree with Richard the Red. I love to wear my Man U jerseys but over recent months it is hard to wear something with the AIG logo. Last year before a match I ran down to the local starbucks. While standing in line I had a customer ask me if I was wearing the jersey as a joke. I said “what do you mean?” He said “you have an AIG shirt. Is that a joke or something?” Even the guy that works at the local produce store asked about AIG. Another time I was asked if my jersey was a NASCAR jersey. If I did not mention I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. Not exactly the mecca of soccer fans. I cannot wait for the AON to be graced upon the greatest team in world. My new England away jersey has already been pre-ordered. Rooney is on the back. Is United coming out with a new jersey this year or just changing the sponsor? Seems like they have a new jersey every year.
    Even people at my gym wear shorts with European teams. I normally engage in conversation with them but there are a few who have no idea what they are wearing. Just a fashion statement
    My children are in a little kickers program on Saturday mornings. My son wears his England jersey which turns heads when we walk in. He is 2. Although, we watched the Everton v United match last fall. He said go Everton. I think his mom told him to say that. My brother-in-law says that he is the only Everton fan who live in Oklahoma.
    I am a David Beckham fan but would not wear his galaxy or AC Milan jersey. However, I have a couple of his united jerseys. My favorite is the Solskaer jersey I have. Normally people ask me if that is my name and how do I pronounce it.
    With all that said it is the heart that is in the jersey and the passion one has for their favorite team. What saddens me is that people get seriously hurt because they support a team. I grew up in England during the 70′s and early 80′s. On Saturday mornings my dad would put me on the train to Brighton so I could watch them play. Before hand he would zip up my coat and hide my knit hat and scarf so nobody would see it. My granddad would pick me up at the other end. Those are fond memories but he used to warn me of what could happen and what I should do if somebody approached me. Thankfully nothing happened.

11. Richard The Red (Devil) says:

I was listening to the Danny Baker show on BBC radio last season and he went on a rant about wearing a football shirt while on holiday in the States. It was hilarious. He said that the most ridiculous thing that he’s seen was a family going out to dinner in Orlando, FL and all of them were in full Liverpool kit, shirt, shorts, socks… He proposes that a replica shirt should only be worn to, during and from the matches or on your way to the pub to watch a game. My favourite shirt is my 1970 George Best United shirt. I’ll wear this almost anywhere. I think the new England home shirt is one of the classiest shirts I’ve seen in a long time. Without the lettering and numbers, you can wear it on a night out if your missus doesn’t mind.

• scott smith says:

While I was on vacation in Mexico I was surrounded by Chelsea and Liverpool fans. Easy to notice considering they wore their jerseys to breakfast and to the beach. The Chelsea fan fried on beach.

• Allen says:

Though I’m 90% sure you’ll disagree, I think the Arsenal collared Away and Third this season are equally classy to the England Home, sans Emirates branding.

12. brn442 says:

Football Shirts tap into that basic need embedded in humans – as you’ve said, the need to belong. For shirt collectors like me, it was about tradition, design, quality, and aesthetic. I would disagree about their exclusivity, the new ones are ridiculously expensive but with the likes of Ebay, anyone with a pulse can get a shirt for relatively little.

Unfortunately, for clubs it’s just about money, just look at away shirts (Chelsea’s Arsenal’s, and Liverpool’s) with their untraditional colour schemes. Ironically, the only thing that makes some of them recognizable these days, is the sponsor.

13. scott smith says:

I have always found it ironic that Fergie once said it is not about the name on the front or the back it is about the tradition and the crest on the jersey. Barcelona have done the right and noble thing. They wear UNICEF and receive nothing for it.

• brn442 says:

Yes, good for them but I always saw it for what it probably is – a way to ease into the sponsorship market – wanna bet that they’ll have a corporate sponsor afterwards, there are rumors they already someone lined up.

• I think he meant that the name on the front (the club) is more important than the name on the back (the player). In other words no player is more important than the club.
      These lines usually come out when he thinks Ronaldo or Beckham are starting to think that they are more important than Manchester United.

14. Gaz says:

Funny enough, the current US away (black / grey) and the current England home (white) are probably my favorite football shirts right now.

It’s funny that we all have some sort of football shirt etiqute that we abide by. Sometimes it doesn’t even make much sense.

For international teams, I personally feel you can get away with more than with clubs (where I believe you should support one club for life – good or miserable – and thus one team’s shirt).

For the past 15 years or so I’ve never bought anything other than a Liverpool shirt. Conversly I have bought lots of England and US shirts. I have my own little reasoning behind this given I grew up in one and live in the other, and I still know who I support above all, but it’s still strange. And athough I never have, I wouldn’t be against buying another coutry if a really had an affinity towards a team or player.

On the other hand, there are lots of club teams and players that I think are great but I’d never, for any reason, buy the shirt. I think Wayne Rooney is a fantastic player but I would never be caught dead in his shirt (even a Rooney England shirt would be out of the question). Even more, for various reasons I have an affinity towards some other clubs in different leagues (like Hatlepool United) but still couldn’t do it.

• I would never wear the shirt of another country, but i suppose I have always lived in England so don’t know much about what it’s like to leave one country and move to another.
      Because the team i support is crap and will probably never get back into the premier league, I can buy an England shirt and put Terry, Rooney, Lampard, whoever I want. Atleast with a National shirt you know they can’t leave. I’m quite tight with my money so I always put my own surname on my Preston North End jersey. I don’t want to put a player’s on there only to find out he has moved 6 months later.

• Duke says:

Keep in mind that, in the States, it’s not uncommon to have grandparents from two or three different countries. That makes rooting interests a little more complex here, be it football, olympic competition, or whatever else.

• Up the Chels!! In Chicago. says:

Duke, you make a great point, it seems sometimes that people who don’t live here in the states don’t understand how diverse this country actually is. I’m American born and raised but my roots stem back to Germany and Italy, I used to root for Italy in my younger years mostly because my mother was Italian and I grew up in a massive Italian neighborhood, over the years I’ve discovered more about my German heritage and have come to embrace that more.

When it comes to soccer, the U.S will always come first but I am also a huge German national team supporter, i also can’t stand the Azzurri anymore mostly because I’ve learned that they’re whiny bitches on the pitch…..I digress. I didn’t want to give a history lesson about myself but your comment got me going about this.

15. Richard says:

I wear the Bayern Munich white shirt at footy. Nice.

16. Robert says:

This is the gayest article i’ve read in a long time. What is even gayer is that all these grown ass men are talking about how they wear another man’s jersey.

• ovalball says:

You have no clue.

• brn442 says:

So why are you even following men’s football. With your logic, you should follow the ladies’ league “for the hot chicks”. Most men/boys who wear shirts with names do so because of their admiration of what that particular player does on the pitch, not in their hotel suite (are you listening Ashley Cole?)

The fact that you see a homo-erotic theme in such a thing probably says more about “closeted issues” in your sexuality that you should try to sort out.

17. M Garcia says:

Robert:

You’re at the wrong blog mate, go back to Idon’tgetit.com or I’matit.com
    No need to apologize, just move along, nothing to see here.

18. man99utd says:

We better not tell Robert about the Tottenham Hotspur Valentine (Pub) song….My wife liked it better than the candy I gave her, and We’re Man Utd supporters.

19. scott smith says:

Curious to see if the other new jersey releases will be as dramatic as the England away being release in France by Kasabian. Brilliant.

20. Robert says:

i have the right to my opinion. Just saying its a bit odd when grown men compare and talk about what other man’s jersey they wear. its a little bit effeminate if you ask me.

• ovalball says:

Opinions are fine. Blogs would not exist without them. I just think you missed the point of the commentaries. Most of them were about team loyalty or how a certain player is identified with a particular team. No one’s comparing jerseys. Even if they were, what of it?

Ever watched an EPL, NFL, MLB, or NBA game? That’s what tons of fans do, wear jerseys of their favorite teams/players….and they’re proud of it. They may even brag about it, but I don’t see what that has to do with effeminance or any other personal characteristic.

Personally I think this particular article and the commentaries that go with it are one of the best EPLTalk has had.

21. man99utd says:

Robert, Indeed you do have a right to your opinion, but for me this is as close as I’ll ever get to putting on the Man Utd kit….I was an ok footballer, but never would have gotten out of Blue Square…..

22. CFC-Bernie says:

Such a great topic. I love wearing my Chelsea & England jerseys out in Milwaukee. Makes me feel proud to be apart of the elite “Soccer Fraternity” that we have here in the States. It’s fun to come across random people who are also fans and you can then strike up an interesting chat. It’s also great to run into fans of opposing teams and make little comments…

23. Tyson says:

While its not a big deal in England I think wearing a football shirt in the US would seem strange to some degree.

I’d imagine you might run into people who frowned upon you for being a football fan as opposed to American football or basketball. It’s good you guys wear your shirts with pride and not try and hide them or try and belong to the more popular crowds.

I’ve always been a fan of how colourful and varied football shirts are they do stand out but you can wear them with pride. I think some shirts also present good memories as well.

My Manchester United 1999 shirt is not an article of clothing its a part of a glorious past that I love to be associated with and reminded of.

• CFC-Bernie says:

Nah people in the States don’t seem to hassle for wearing a real football jersey. U might hear the little comments like “Oh soccer is soooo boring” or “Ur a lawn fairy.” U just gotta laugh those comments off cause us Soccer fans have jokes about the NFL ie No Fun League or National Fixed League.

24. arizona jack says:

I still have my Gulf Oil Swansea shirt – along with every Swansea shirt since then – When i wear the shirt from the last season at the vetch – people notice the sponsor (ReMAX) and ask if i work for them!!

I get my shirts sent over from a friend back home and wear them over here with pride – I love my club and i do my hardest to promote them to all my friends over here in soccerland usa.

25. I can’t go through with a purchase of a current club shirt because of sponsorship. Just not comfortable with wearing some companies logo, even if, say, it was for a beer I enjoy. I don’t think it’s right that clubs don’t offer a sponsor-less shirt. I would pay more for the privilege of not having to provide free advertising. After all, these companies are paying the club, not us, to tout their product.
    That’s why I love peeping the shirts at sites like Toffs, where you can really appreciate a club’s colours and crest without the distraction of a corporate logo.

• Brett says:

Many clubs do offer jerseys without sponsors but they can be hard to find. I have several without a sponsor. Most teams that have any sort of alcohol or betting related sponsor are more likely to offer sponsor-less shirts.

Sponsors pay big money to have their logos on the fronts of shirts, so that why you don’t see many shirts for sale without a sponsor.

26. Scott says:

I love, love, love wearing my Liverpool jerseys. I’ve only got two…red home Torres, and black away Gerrard.

Soccer jerseys are absolutely awesome…everything about how they’re made and the symbolism in them that’s there just for the fans at times. I can’t believe US sports haven’t caught on to this idea.

I love my red LFC jersey with the red checkerboard on the inside neck to symbolize the flags of the Kop…and the way Adidas figured out a way to weave the Liver bird’s wings into the front of the black away jersey is absolute quality. No one other than the wearer knows about the Kop reference in the red one, and you don’t really see the wings on the black unless you’re close up, but it’s details like that which make the jerseys so amazing.

Can’t wait to grow my collection!

27. M Emanuel says:

Great discussion. I recently stumbled upon this site and I can say that this is the type of discourse that will keep me coming back. As a Manchester United supporter, I do feel some angst about wearing a shirt emblazoned with an AIG logo in public, but for the most part (and mostly due to my fiance’s urgings) the settings where are wear my shirts (usually the pub) I find that people understand. On the occasions when I wear my United track jacket or t- shirt in public, I’ve enjoyed the knowing nod or glare that my attire evokes. I’ve also taken to collecting shirts when I travel, and in these instances will occasionally pick up a player that I respect. I tend to aim for national team or local club teams to serve as mementos of my travels. While I may not wear many of these in public, I do like to wear them around the house on occasion. I also think national team shirts are a way to support players that I respect, buy may not feel comfortable wearing their club team’s shirt (i.e., Michael Essien). I’ve also taken to getting a few shirts personalized, because as a commenter above mentioned, I don’t plan on transfering to another squad any time soon. My mother actually purchased a customized United shirt for my 30th birthday…one of my favorite gifts.

28. jack says:

Can’t wait to grow my collection!

29. Colin says:

So do most of you get hero shirts or plain ones? I buy lots of shirts and always have the fear of transfers. I usually buy the players I love but am considering of switching to plain. It is more affordable and there is no risk of transfer. I was just curious what you do?

30. Jerseys says:

31. nfl jerseys says:

32. Hej.

Anny who want to sell match worn shirts from danish clubs or players, or have some contacts to anny one ??

Kind regards
    Henrik

• [OPTI]Madschester United says:

Hahaha. Det er sjovt at se danskere på engelske/amerikanske fodbold-sites. Jeg har Bjarne Goldbæk’s #7 FCK jersey fra “back-in-the-day” … desværre er den ikke til salg.

Bor du i DK eller USA eller et trejde sted?

33. lotfi says:

i come from malaysia, and a shirt costs about RM40 here, it looks and feels like its original but you bet it isnt. RM40 is about 5pounds, or 7 Euros. and thats damn cheap if you ask me. in my country people go to sleep and do everything in football jerseys since theyre so easy to be bought. be it just malaysia or asia as a whole

34. budoushi says: