MON, 4PM ET
TOT2
BRI0
THURS, 3:45PM ET
VER
LAZ

Tommy Smyth Interview: EPL Talk Podcast

Tommy Smyth is one of the most prominent personalities covering soccer at ESPN. Earlier this week, Tommy sat down with The Gaffer for this edition of the EPL Talk podcast.

Bookmark the permalink.

Tommy Smyth Interview: EPL Talk Podcast

EPL Talk Podcast Logo draft 300x242 Tommy Smyth Interview:  EPL Talk Podcast

Tommy Smyth is one of the most prominent personalities covering soccer at ESPN. Earlier this week, Tommy sat down with The Gaffer for this edition of the EPL Talk Podcast.

Some of the topics discussed with Tommy Smyth include:

• His views on whether soccer will become more popular in the United States after this summer’s World Cup has ended,
  • What his role will be during the tournament and where we can expect to see and hear him,
  • How far soccer on television has progressed since he began working at ESPN 19 years ago,
  • What he thinks of the TV ratings thus far for the 2009-10 Premier League games shown on ESPN2,
  • Whether it hurts him when he reads or hears negative criticism aimed at him,
  • Who will win the Premier League trophy this season,
  • and much more.

Don’t forget that the EPL Talk Podcast is the only Premier League interview and analysis podcast available for free. In the past few weeks, we’ve interviewed legends of the game such as Steve McManaman, Efan Ekoku, Martin Chivers and Robbie Earle as well as experts such as Declan Hill, Simon Kuper, Misha Sher, Matt Dickinson, Andy Brassell and many others. Why pay $40 a year to rival podcasts when you can subscribe to the EPL Talk Podcast for FREE featuring interviews with the biggest names in football?

11 Responses to Tommy Smyth Interview: EPL Talk Podcast

1. barry says:

This can’t be Tommy Smyth lol

2. barry says:

Well then his personality on air is completely different. He came across as very astute and reasonable with his comments in this interview, yet when he is on the air, he seems to try to be the exact opposite.

3. Rod says:

Get Tommy to explain the away goals rule in the Champion’s League competition.

4. we hate tommy smith says:

tommy smith knows nothing about soccer.how he gets paid to talk crap on the box about something he knows nothing about drive me mad.

5. Peludoguy says:

I’m a big fan of Tommy Smythe; I’ve enjoyed hearing him call games for more than 15 years now. In my humble opinion (as a former semi-pro and collegiate player), he is the best soccer announcer in the English language. I don’t understand the occasional criticism that he gets. Perhaps he is just too colorful and full of life for some people. Keep up the great work Tommy!

6. Tim says:

What Smyth does drives soccer fans bonkers as what Lou Holtz drives college football fans crazy. Lou is one of the most intelligent football minds out there; Smyth is brighter than he lets on during matches. Its just ESPN drawing in the haters who love to criticize.

7. BigBlueAL says:

Agreed totally with the above comments, he sounded 100X smarter in this interview than anything Ive ever seen of him. I actually have much more respect for him now than I did before. Real good interview.

8. nick says:

Good interview G-man,Tommy came across as a nice fella- But im sorry hes the worst commentator/Pundit on t.v. Theres a universal groan when hes on in the pub, he talks so much nonsense………..

9. ned flanders says:

You know what… most people I watch football with would rather chew their own foot than have to listen to Tommy talk so when I just told a friend that I was DL this podcast right now to hear him, the response was “Are you kidding?”.

Actually, it was “Are you f @@^@ kidding? WHY!!!???!?!”.

Because you guys asked him
    >Whether it hurts him when he reads or hears negative criticism aimed at him,

I was always curious if he realized how much people despised him.
    I cant think of any other announcer that brings this kind of feelings.
    Not even Tommy Heisohn (for NBA fans).

My cousin says its all due to the accent. Throw a british accent to the americans and they think its better than it raelly is.
    You might have the most common of accents but here, you sound like royalty.

You can be the biggest wanker but wth the right accent to sell it, you pass off as knowledgeable.

My friend in Canada says they have the same problem. You cant turn on any TV station that carries football taht doesnt have a brit commenting. In the french part of the country, they import french from France (the accent differences being like british and NOrleans drawl.) for the past 3 decades.

I love World Soccer Daily but I keep saying that football will never truly be an american sport (as opposed to the immigrants game) until every soccer show stops having their token english accent.
    Its REALLY not a hard game to figure out and there is no reason why americans cant do these jobs but the accent sells, Im telling you.

So, Im gonna pour myself a tall one, light up some wonderful sativa my landlady grows and listen to Tommy Smyth.

My friend will pass he says. He’d rather hit himself in the crotch with a hammer instead. More pleasant.

Who knows? I might even be back for some more if its good (i know, its not fair judging a podcast when the guest is bound to make you bias so i will probably give it another episode a shot as well) but at 3hrs per day, 5 days a week, the 40$ guys have spoiled me something fierce.

10. Dave says:

Please please,please get rid of this doughnut. He is a major embarrassment to all who know and love the game of football. He is utterly clueless and has clearly never played the game at any decent level and is forever stating the obvious and talks for talks sake. He drives me nuts! Tommy Smyth with a Y should be with a T for Tosser. If ESPN wants to get any credibilty then sack him the twit now!!!
    He has been in the states since 1963 and that stupid accent of his gets worse somehow, he must practice it!!!