SAT, 8:45AM ET
SAT, 11AM ET
HUL
SOU
SAT, 11AM ET
STO
WHU

Where Do You Sit Or Stand At Football Grounds?

football supporters Where Do You Sit Or Stand At Football Grounds?

It’s so easy to get spoiled by watching English football games on television each week. Without thinking about it, you always have the best seat in the stadium. And you have the luxury of seeing close-ups, action replays, slow-motion, different camera angles and more.

So when you do physically go to the stadium to see a match, you sometimes feel disappointed. I know I did when I visited England a few years ago to see several matches in 10 days. Sure, the atmosphere was wonderful, the football brilliant and the sensation of seeing football live in the flesh was incredible. But you sometimes feel left down especially if you’re used to watching the sport on television.

A big factor in what your football match experience is like depends on where you sit (or stand) in the stadium. Your perspective on the game can change completely depending how close or far you are from the pitch, and high up or low down you are. I’ve been to plenty of matches before where I would change seats during a game and move to a completely different part of the stadium and see the game with a whole new set of eyes.

Growing up in Wales, my experience watching football games began on the terraces watching Swansea City play at Vetch Field, which is now derelict. From age 10 to 12, I stood on the North Bank, which ran alongside the touchline. I couldn’t see everything but I could watch the major incidents in the game and see the players close up behind the steel fence. Between 12 and 14 years of age, I “graduated” to the East Stand which was behind the goal at Swansea’s ground and stood on the terracing. The view was completely different and allowed me to see the goalmouth action up close near the end I was standing at, but it meant I could hardly see anything that was going on at the other end of the ground and had to rely on the sounds of the supporters to determine whether the ball found its way into the back of the net or not.

After moving to the States, I watched plenty of Fort Lauderdale Strikers and Miami Fusion games at Lockhart Stadium and sat in almost every conceivable part of the ground including the press box, so I was able to get a good sense of where the optimal place to sit, or stand, was. But even though the best place was on the sidelines, I chose to stand in the middle of the Afusionados, the passionate and sometimes troublemaking set of Miami Fusion supporters who were always the loudest part of the crowd.

I’ve been to several other grounds around England and Wales and have had the fortune of seeing games including Goodison Park (from the cramped press box), Old Trafford (a perfect seat in the South Stand), Ewood Park (sitting amongst the Rovers fans in the Blackburn End), Emirates Stadium (where every seat seems ideal) and Craven Cottage (along the halfway line in the majestic Johnny Haynes Stand).

Where I sit or stand in a football stadium all depends on what I want to get out of the game. If it’s to join in the singing and standing next to passionate fans, it’s typically behind the goal where the seats are cheaper, the view is much worse but the passion is explosive. When I’ve sat along the sidelines in posh seats, I can watch the game much more closely but I often feel I’m missing a bit of the aggro and often find myself looking at the mad supporters having all of the fun behind the goal.

What about you? What football stadiums have you visited around the world and which parts of the ground did you stand or sit in, and how was your view? Where do you typically try to sit or stand given the choice? Share your stories in the comments section below.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Where Do You Sit Or Stand At Football Grounds?

1. Matt says:

Going to the match is all about atmosphere, not getting a better view. If you want to watch pretty replays you record the game and watch when you get home. Therefore, being behind the goal (Kop in my case) is the important factor. On European nights and big games The Kop will stand for most the match and the whole experience is 1000 times better.

Safe standing, ala Germany, is the way forward and should be adopted European-wide.

The Germans have got their match-going experience spot on.

2. Richard The Red (Devil) says:

Hey Gaffer,
    I’m headed to the UK for my annual trip next month. I’ll be catching The Old Firm derby, Villa v Sunderland and hopefully Wolves v Man United. We are also thinking about flying down to London from Glasgow for the League Cup Final. We don’t have tickets for that one. My question is this: Are these online ticket shops on the up and up? I’ve never had a need to use them but it seems this might be our only option to get tickets for this fixture.

Cheers mate,
    Richard The Red

3. Duke says:

Do English stadiums have video screens? In the NFL, especially, replays will be shown on a huge screen in the stadium, so the fans in the seats can get a close-up of a particular play.

I haven’t seen anything like this while watching the EPL on television.

• SeminoleGunner says:

I’m a bit surprised by the lack of video screens at many stadiums, when in the US almost every stadium has one. Perhaps it is a move to preserve a nostalgic feel at games.

I heard that St. James Park doesn’t even have a scoreboard!

4. dhines says:

i enjoy sitting directly above the midfield line . . . in truth, if i can’t get something right around midfield (and relatively close to the grass), i would rather watch the game at a bar or home.

everything has their own thing, but for me . . . if i can’t see the action (in detail), i don’t feel like heading down to the stadium.

5. Perry says:

Only been to one game in England, at Charlton Athletic. It was late season (March) and they were in the process of being relegated from the Championship to League 1 so truth to tell the atmosphere wasn’t all that great. I had a wonderful time, though, even with a 0-0 draw vs. Preston North End.

In the US I’ve been a Colorado Rapids season-ticket holder for 3 years. The first year my seats were in row 6 near midfield, but I found that great for being close to the action (obviously), but too close for my relatively inexperienced eyes to see patterns and formations. I moved up to row 20 or so and find I actually like that better. About halfway between the two is probably optimum.

6. best atmosphere is at away games, thats where the real fans are at, home games have too many part time fans who only want to sing when the teams winning

the best thing about football is away days because theyre a great day out

7. Best comment I’ve seen on here Rob M, never a truer word said about football. Following Stoke away days can be immense, wins are few and far between so really savoured. Nine times out of ten win lose or draw we have a cracking day out.

Looking at American sports I should imagine that it’s a concept most of the users of this site wouldn’t understand given the distances required to travel over there?

Richard the Red. I do think you’re missing a trick not taking in some lower league matches whilst you are over here too.

8. Clement Gilliot says:

Hello,

I’m working on a report about the History of football supporters, and I’d like to know if you could give me some informations about the picture at the beginning (date ; location …).