SUN, 11AM ET
ARS
GAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
BAS
LFC

What Fox Soccer Channel In HD Means For The Soccer Fan In America

fox soccer channel1 What Fox Soccer Channel In HD Means For The Soccer Fan In America

Fox Soccer Channel will be broadcasting in HD very soon. There are a few positives and a few negatives, yes negatives, to this development. Here are a few positives and negatives as I see it:

Positive #1: Fox Soccer will be broadcasting in HD beginning in January. This is great news since everyone with an HD TV has been waiting a long time to watch the EPL in HD on something other than ESPN2.

Negative #1: While FSC will be broadcasting in HD, only Santa Claus knows which cable/satellite providers will actually be picking it up. Heck, Time Warner Cable customers might not even be able to watch The Simpsons if their management doesn’t get it together sometime soon. It’s probably too much to hope that all FSC channels will suddenly switch to HD on January 1st. In addition, an “HD” channel does not mean that all content will be broadcast in HD. I am assuming that the EPL matches will be in HD but what about Serie A, Champions League, Premier League Review, and Sky Sports News?

Positive #2: We will finally have something on the Tennis Channel. My fellow DirecTV subscribers have been wondering why on earth we have the Tennis Channel in HD but we have to watch grainy scenes of Premier League football all weekend. Seriously DirecTV, if you have the Tennis Channel in HD then you definitely need Fox Soccer Channel in HD. DirecTV subscribers also know about the dream Champions League and Europa League HD coverage on the special HD channels in the 400’s (at no extra cost). I find myself watching obscure matches like Cluj v Fenerbache just because it’s in HD. DirecTV, I’m trying to find a reason why you wouldn’t pick up FSC HD in January but…

Negative #2: Sadly, having the Tennis Channel in HD doesn’t mean anything. DirecTV, Time Warner, Comcast, and others decide which channels to offer in HD (or at all) based on what is best for them financially. They do have the consumer in mind but, in the end, they are a business and they are trying to make money. Simple as that. If they don’t see FSC HD making money for them, then we are not going to see it on our HD TV’s. Case in point: Versus HD was on DirecTV and I loved watching their content, especially the Tour de France. Alas, it was not meant to be because DirecTV decided that Comcast (owner of Versus) was charging them too much to broadcast Versus HD. So, no more Versus for me and it looks like I won’t see it anytime in the near future. Guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens with Fox Soccer Channel in HD. Sounds like Time Warner Cable customers need to pay attention.

Positive #3: We can’t wait to see high-profile matches in HD. Sorry ESPN2, but the fixture list just hasn’t been kind to you so far this season. You have had a few big matches but I am growing tired of Tommy Smyth acting pumped up about a Burnley goal. He has to be tired of it as well. Having FSC in HD would seriously up the ante in terms of what we watch. We could actually record one match in HD and watch another live in HD. What a concept! Regardless, I currently record/watch the ESPN2 match simply because it’s in HD.

Negative #3: My DVR is getting full. This is a problem already, regardless of your HD channel line-up. Between ESPN2, FSC, Setanta, and GolTV, I simply cannot watch/record everything I want since everything comes on at the same time on three or more channels. This season, FSC has remedied this a bit by offering matches at 5:00 PM and/or 8:00 PM. This is great on the surface, but I want to know how my fantasy team is doing at noon so I usually don’t watch those matches since I already know who won them. However, if these later matches were broadcast in HD, I would certainly record them and watch them simply because they are in HD. This is not so much a negative as it is a natural consequence of a more diverse HD offering.

Hopefully, FSC will actually be shown in living rooms across America in January. Personally, I am sick of that Sylvania HD TV commercial being shown on my HD flat screen… in SD. Just think, if we are “watching the beautiful game in HD,” now it will just annoy us, not piss us off, every time we see it. Also, all those Proactiv commercials will we better as well… well, maybe not. Either way, we need to call, email, write, and annoy our cable and satellite providers. They have likely already decided what to initially do with FSC HD but perhaps a wave of consumer feedback will give them something to think about. It’s something to hope for at least! What are your thoughts?

46 Responses to What Fox Soccer Channel In HD Means For The Soccer Fan In America

1. Chris says:

Well im just praying it will be avaible to me..

2. CA_backpacker says:

LMAO, I just spit up my drink on your Proactiv commercial comment! Yeah, what a positive, we can look at teens’ whiteheads in HD! I am so sick of that commercial! Thank God my DVR lets me fast forward through halftime, that is 95% of the reason I watch games after they have recorded and rarely “live”.

And personally, if DirecTV doesn’t get off its rear and offer FSC in HD in Q1, I think I’m going to explore options and go with whoever DOES offer it…

3. The Gaffer says:

I chuckled out loud when I read the bit about Tommy Smyth getting overly excited about a Burnley goal. So true!

4. Steve A says:

I would assume that DirecTV will have FSC HD on January 1st. Both are owned by News Corp. Unless there are bandwidth issues, I see no reason why they wouldn’t.

Unfortunately for me, I have Comcast. I may see it by January 1st, 2011!

5. Matthew N says:

Is there a cable/satellite provider out there where you can actually get every channel you want? I thought DirecTV was a gift from the heavens, but I’d still like a provider with Versus so that I can watch some hockey. :(

6. JR says:

The HD whining makes me laugh. The game is what’s important, ain’t it? I have HD, but I don’t cry about whether or not a particular game is in HD. If it is, great — if it’s not, I still enjoy the game.

Y’all sound like spoiled children.

7. man99utd says:

I may have my head in the sand, but I can’t believe that News Corp. can’t get the deal done by the 1st on most major providers. The one big thing FSC has going for it is that its part of News Corp. Aside from that, they could just nick one of their own current FSN channels if bandwidth is an issue, couldn’t they?

8. jmansor says:

ESPN2 matches this year have been very spoiling and “can’t miss” even with the low quality of the matchups. Not surprising Tennis Channel is in HD, they are targeting a high income viewer along with central control of only a few tours, ITF, ATP and WTA. So it was easy for the tournaments to produce HD content with only a few arenas needing to be filmed with HD cameras a week. Instead of 10 grounds needing HD coverage simultaneously for just the EPL. Admittedly FSC has been well beyond the curve compared with other channels.

9. Martin says:

My guess is that DirecTV will be on the ball w/ FSC in HD pretty quickly once the calendar hits 2010. I have nothing to back this up, other than the fact that with few exceptions (AMCHD), after their initially disappointing slow roll out of HD channels (back about 2 years ago) they’ve been pretty quick with offering HD channels once they’re available. I don’t really care about Jan 1st, as long as its in place by January 10 for Spurs v. Liverpool :)

Also, I don’t really care about other leagues that much, but I’m sure if they’re broadcast in HD, then I’d be about 1000 times more likely to watch them, and I’ve let both FSC and DirecTV know that through emails. Yes, I’m an HD snob, but that doesn’t stop me from watching the EPL in non-HD (like I have another choice).

As for the DVR getting full – you sound like a man that needs to invest in some supplemental HD storage via an external hard drive. 1 TB drives go for about 80 bucks these days (maybe less?), and by simply plugging the cable into the back of most Hd recievers, you can have 4 times the storage for your shows (at least for my DVR, which had about 250GB standard). I can’t imagine living without it now!! I read about this over at the dbstalk.com forums a couple years ago, and I’m sure they still have some pretty good ideas if you’re interested.

10. The Guvnah says:

Dish Network aka Douche Network offers Versus, Setanta, Gol, and FSC. However, their service is about as good as you’ll get from a Denny’s restaurant in Alabama, Mississippi, or basically any rural impovershed town in the south..

They also have ESPN U which comes in handy when you are a fan of the lowly ACC. Last year they had the Big 10 channel, but it either disappeared or became a pay channel.

As of this post, and my prolonged call with the morons of Dish Network, they are “working on getting FSC” and have no information regarding a January 1 HD launch. This type of information isnt shared with the call-in center slaves. They might get this type of information the day before it takes place.

I will say that overall, Dish does provide more HD than its competitors and their prices are quite good. The only down side is that they dont offer NFL Sunday ticket. But you can get that RedZone channel. They have NHL Center Ice, but if your team has its own coverage (MSG TV) your games wont be in HD unless the opposition is also broadcasting the game. For example, the Devils are never in HD because Dish is too cheap to buy the HD broadcast. Instead you have to suffer through SD if you want to hear home-team announcers.

Good Luck Soccer Fans

11. AtlantaPompey says:

DirecTv has a few channels they could offer in HD that they don’t yet: BBCAmerica and the Travel Channel come to mind. I’m not optimistic that FSC will be in HD come January 1st because DirecTv has not been advertising it. They may still be negotiating or attempting to figure out bandwidth issues, etc. This is all way too complicated for me.

I do love the Champions League and Europa League coverage in the 460s. I will watch obscure matches rather than the big ones because they are in HD. Not having a rooting interest in those competitions helps that.

12. boringarsenal says:

I’m with you, Gaffer. Those insulting Sylvania ads have got to go. And one more thing about FSC, and I’ve complained about this before, why do we need Christian Miles & Co. talking over the SKY Sports feed prior to the kick-off? It drives me nuts, even cutting out the club line-ups with more bizarre adverts for pimple cream, etc. The one nice bit that Setanta provides is no American produced wrap around segments, and no flashing banner ads. My God, are those blinkin’ ads going to be in HD, as well??!

13. MrTuktoyaktuk says:

If FSC HD launches and DTV chooses not to carry it (like they did with BBC America HD), I will launch a sh!t fit of monumental proportions. Since I’m not sure what that would entail, I’m hoping that it won’t be necessary. DTV carries all the regional sports channel HD feeds (as far as I know), so I would be quite surprised if they didn’t carry it.

14. SeminoleGunner says:

It’s great to see I’m not the only one annoyed by those Sylvania ads the past few years.

I’m not sure why Proactiv is such a big FSC advertiser. Do they think we all have bad skin?

15. Dano says:

Dang I have Charter so I’ll probably be waiting awhile. :(

• scott says:

charter dude, tat blows. my freind has it and I am suprised they are still in biiz. I have comcast, but I notciced the commercial for fsc hd said”coming soon” not a good sign, i want it by the first but who knows. still waiting for LOST last season to start

16. Hippeaux says:

I had a bitch of a time finding it, but above is the link to a search engine which will tell you whether or not your cable/satellite provider is picking up FSC in HD…and, if it isn’t, it will help you make a request for it.

Everything I’ve read suggests that DirecTV will have FSC in HD, if not on January 1, then at least in time for the first leg of Champions League playoffs in late February. However, I do find it a bit discouraging that neither FSC nor DirecTV has had a very ambitious advertising campaign for this upgrade. I fear that may mean either that the switch is going to be delayed or that during the first few months they may broadcast very few games in actual HD.

17. JP says:

That link will not tell you if your provider is picking up FSC in HD. This has been covered in a previous EPLTalk discussion.

18. Art Vino says:

DTV is near capacity, but they are launching another Satellite (d10) 1st Q on 2010) that should give them more bandwidth.
    I hope Cablevision/Fios/DTV will pick up FSC-HD asap.
    Those Sylvania commerials are whack.. They keep saying watch those soccer games in HD fools most people who are not technical.. They might buy the TV, wtach FSC and think this is as good as it gets…

19. Leeboy says:

I’ll warn you now, the only HD matches are the ones shown live on UK television – ie. every game that isn’t moved from a 3pm/10am US slot on a Saturday or Sunday. The others will be upscaled from widescreen standard definition (like the quality of DVD widescreen).
    Sky Sports News is still 4:3 SD

20. Leeboy says:

I mean every game that IS moved…

21. Droppedrod says:

Spoke to two different Comcast reps in the Seattle area and they have no ETA on carrying FSC in HD. I suspect it will be a long and painful wait.

22. Hippeaux says:

I spoke to a DirecTV rep who told me that FSC-HD will be among the first channels added once the recently-launched D12 satellite is up and running. He claims the DirecTV is aiming to add dozens of new HD channels during the first half of 2010, including FSC-HD, but won’t be able to start until the satellite has become fully operational, which will be late January at the earliest. He claims that the optimistic timeline has FSC in HD by the next round of Champions League games in mid-February, but there is no guarantee. He does believe FSC will be among the first new channels to go HD, because FOX and DirecTV have a strong relationship (including the sharing of UEFA rights), made stronger by FOX’s recent disputes with Comcast, Dish Network, etc. Good, but not great news.

23. ovalball says:

Don’t know if it’s significant or not, but I noticed my local Fox Sports Net channel (which is in HD) is now identified as FSCHD in the channel guide. Harbinger of things to come?

One lives in hope, but I don’t think I’ll hold my breath. That station currently carries a lot of ACC basketball. If they don’t have another outlet set up for that programming then FSCHD just ain’t gonna happen. Not here in eastern NC.

24. Philip says:

I just spoke with recked tv customer service (low on the totem pole i know) and he said they have no listing of FSCHD scheduled for broadcast. He did say BBC America was about to be broadcast which is great if you like watching the same show all day. Hopefully Directtv get this sorted.

25. KH says:

@Ovalball:

I’m a Time Warner customer in NC also and got really excited when I saw FSCHD listed on the channel guide a few weeks ago. But then, I clicked on it and realized it meant Fox Sports Carolina and they were showing the sport of kings — poker. I hope it will change into Fox Soccer, but knowing TWC, I wouldn’t hold my breath.

• ovalball says:

Thanks, KH. The air went out of my balloon real fast when I got clued in the other day. Should have known nothing could be that easy with our friends at TWC.

Since I live over in Beaufort and regional managers get to make those decisions I doubt I’ll ever see the real FSCHD. I have lived here ten years and have yet to meet one other person who even knows what the EPL is let alone watches it. That doesn’t amount to a whole lot of customer pressure for TWC to upgrade to HD in this area. :-(

The Triangle has a chance, though.

26. RidiQLus says:

I just checked the Fox Soccer HD checker thing that was on there website a while ago. I have Time Warner Cable Digital Cable in San Diego, and after checking, I just realized that FSC HD is not available for TWC. I was so mad when I found out. Then I checked it for DIrecTV, and it said something like, “Congratulations! FSC HD is available on channel 619!” which made me even more angry…

Can TWC just pleeeease add FSC HD to its listings? Let me know if anything happens…

27. Rick says:

I have noticed several times since the first of the year that most FSC sports desk shots have DirecTV logo’s everywhere. I doubt seriously that DirecTV would do this and then drag their feet in going FSC-HD with so much cross-branding between them and FSC that DirecTV will not be one of the first to carry FSC-HD. Even today after a FSC-HD self promotion DirecTV had a followup spot touting FSC on DirecTV. Sounds like it will be a done deal once FSC kicks off HD. I would be willing to bet the farm that FSC-HD is already up on DirecTV for testing even with SD programming to get all the bugs out before the transition. To bad so many matches were posponed today in the EPL due to snow ice and sub-freezing temps and one was on ESPN2HD.

28. Hood Rich says:

What about Dish Network? When is FSC HD coming on Dish Network? Seems everyone has DirecTV… I know they already screwed us with Gol TV, and nothing in return for its absence, but I’m tied in to their contract.

29. Chris says:

You are spot on with the Sylvania HD TV ad comment…winds me up everytime!

30. hey! it’s official…fox soccer launched hd today, i called directv they said they’re still testing their new satellite and will add a bunch of new channels in the next month or two..so we still have to wait…bummer! i want my hd now!!!!!!

31. Xeneize480 says:

Do you guys really want us to have FSC HD, then submit your comments in the following link.

This is the only way we can get Directv to do it. Tell them if they don’t do we are going to cancel their service and go with other carrier that does.

32. Andy says:

I have Time Warner Cable, hopefully we can get soccer fanatics to bombard TWC with email and phone calls to get FSC in HD as soon as possible.

By the way, the ESPN match this weekend was GREAT from a TV camera/angle point of view. Much better than the “too far away” camera angles that ESPN usually has from international feeds. I wonder if the matches ESPN carries in the USA , and ESPN UK has rights to, are provided by ESPN camera teams, or another network in the UK ?

33. waywithwords says:

Does anyone actually have FSC HD already? I’m seeing “Available in HD” on my screen since this past weekend’s Man Utd/Arsenal match, but I can’t seem to find out for sure that DirecTV (FSC sponsor/advertiser) or anyone else is actually carrying the HD signal yet. I can tell you for sure that Time Warner Cable in Los Angeles is definitely not broadcashing FSC in HD yet, nor can I find anyone on the phone there who knows that it is going to happen soon. I’ve been told the same by Verizon FIOS. Gee, Sunderland/Stoke on ESPN2 looked great in HD — wish it was Arsenal/Chelsea.

34. ibracadabra says:

So I finally got fed up with watching Barclay’s fuzzy numbers running around on FSC and wondering who the hell the player was with the ball (unless you know that much about the teams and what players positions are). But I happened to turn to the Man-u v Arsenal match this weekend and saw that it had “HD” listed on the top right corner of the screen? I instantly noticed that I could see the numbers on the players jerseys : D and in the usual SD broadcasting it was very difficult to see the numbers at all. Now it wasn’t CRYSTAL CLEAR High Def but I noticed a change in quality. This led me to this write up (which is awesome by the way!), good stuff Spigner. So what’s the latest on FSC in HD for DirecTV subscribers?? Is it going to happen so we get crystal clear matches like on ESPN2? I agree with everyone else that I DVR the HD matches on ESPN, just to watch a premier league game in HD, along with the UEFA HD Channels (Still giddy about this line-up). Are we (in the U.S.) getting FSC HD in the near future??

35. wil mclean says:

i have FIOS and watched the arsenal/MU game this past sunday. while it said it was in HD, and while it was definitely better quality than SD, i could never compare it to the quality of HD on say ESPN or discovery channel. are the parameters for HD that wide, that you can say something is in HD, even though it’s not much better than SD? i feel a bit jipped honestly…

36. waywithwords says:

HD is not only a crystal clear picture, but in “widescreen” format (16:9).

37. Ben says:

I am with Comcast in Highland Park, IL (outside of Chicago). I called them and they said that they will be getting FSC HD March 1st. Hopefully this is correct :)

38. Los Angeles says:

All – I was told this past week that TIME WARNER CABLE IN LOS ANGELES WILL BE SHOWING FSC IN HD starting in March 2010.

I called up, TWC confirmed it, and they are allowing the channel to be ordered. I now have it in my plan.

Honestly, I can’t remember if the TWC rep told me it was already in the package of channels that gets FSC on 269 or if it was an extra charge… I’d have gotten it regardless.

So, TWC in Los Angeles people just need to wait for March!

I called (888) 892-2253.

39. Kevin says:

Hi just call 888-892-2253 and the rep had no idea about FSC HD or anything HD that is coming up.

As much as i want to believe that FSC HD is coming in March for Socal TWC subscribers, I doubt it.

40. Norcal34 says:

On Directv, got see see delayed Monday replay of Manchester City vs Sundeland weekend match on one of the fox regional channels in HD (FSN West HD). It was only 720p broadcast. Someone else said FSC HD was not as good as ESPN2 HD. Those EPL games have been great Haven’t seen any other delayed broadcast for EPL, but it’s almost over anyway.

The FSC banner with LIve HD broadcast is getting even more annoying, the longer it is unavailable on Directv!!