WED, 3PM ET
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

MLS Talk Podcast #123: Jamie Trecker on the USMNT

world cup 2010 logo1 300x300 MLS Talk Podcast #123: Jamie Trecker on the USMNT

Jamie Trecker, senior soccer writer at Fox Sports joins us to discuss the USMNT’s World Cup draw and other topics.

Included in the discussion

- How accessible is the US draw?
- How strong is this US Team?
- What are the other interesting matchups in the group stage of the World Cup?
- Which matches have the greatest political significance in the group stage?
- Which western nations will be treated with the most hostility in South Africa by the native population? Which will enjoy the greatest “home” support?
- What to take from the USYNT failures this fall?
- Is the US Residency Program in Bradenton, Florida failing?
- Why do American teams always seem to lose their discipline and composure when adversity strikes in tough matches?

This and much much more on today’s MLS Talk Podcast

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Podcast. Bookmark the permalink.

About Kartik Krishnaiyer

View all posts by Kartik Krishnaiyer →

22 Responses to MLS Talk Podcast #123: Jamie Trecker on the USMNT

1. Jason says:

I like the points Jamie is making. Football is very much a mental game and the USA seriously lacks good professional and tatical instincts. That has cost us the Confederations Cup for one. This would be a good podcast for the USSF guys to listen to. This organization clearly has their heads in the ground. This Bradenton youth camp is nothing but a joke. Its a glorified soccer mom camp. I will still cheer for the USA in the world cup as always but I am sure we will be skeptical though until June 12. If the USA tanks then I will always pull for the other English speaking nations: England, Australia, and New Zealand.

2. RATRE 227 says:

MAYBE YOU SHOULD LEARN ABOUT ALGERIA BEFORE MAKING PREDICTIONS THAT THE GROUP COMES DOWN TO US VS SLOVENIA. ALGERIA IS MORE TALENTED THAN BOTH COUNTRIES.

I HAVE NOT SEEN SLOVENIA AS YOU HAVE BUT DOUBT THEY COULD BE VERY GOOD. I DON’T RECOGNIZE THE NAMES OF THE PLAYERS ON THE SLOVENIA TEAM AFTER LOOKING IT UP. ALGERIA HAS MANY GOOD PLAYERS MORE THAN EVEN USA.

THE REST OF PODCAST WAS GOOD. I AGREE THAT THE USA IS NOT AS GOOD AS THE AMERICAN FAN LIKE TO THINK, BUT YOU ARE WRONG SAYING SLOVENIA IS THE TEAM THAT WILL KNOCK USA OFF. IT WILL BE ALGERIA.

3. Charles says:

Listening to the podcast it became very apparent.
    Trecker is excited about players being “good enough” to get to Europe.

Fine, but then we go down the roster and the many guys that are hurt by playing there….because they don’t play there, instead sitting on the bench. The Tim Howard’s are the exception, plus he would be great on NT coming from MLS.

So here is my conclusion:
    IF you are NOT supporting MLS by going to games, watching the games on TV, and instead are supporting Europe by following their leagues, don’t complain about the National Team stinking….The mediocrity of MLS and USMNT go hand in hand.

4. Jason says:

Well I think the problems are with US players choosing the wrong options in Europe. Onyewu going to AC Milan was a huge mistake. Birmingham or Wolverhampton would have been an better option. Think about the PT Americna footballers please. MLS does work in that regard. I for one am an MLS fan. Even though they can certainly do things to improve the situation. I for one living in the mid atlantic am afraid about DC United’s stadium crisis.

5. short passes says:

Extremely interesting pod cast. I would love to hear more from Jamie Trecker.
    Few comments:
    1.) Youth coaching — the entire US national teams youth coaching heirarchy needs to be thoroughly cleaned out. The entire sructure is a retirement home for soccer has-beens and US Soccer hangers on. Just like other professional sports, if you don’t win or at least improve , you’re gone. We need help from outside the US but that should exclude bringing in old English war horses who have been put out to pasture in England. LoOok at the English national team—even they have ignored their own coaches, so why should we bring them in as the “experts”.

2.) The problem with youth coaching is not limited to the youth national teams. It is much more pervasive. The youth players are damaged much earlier by a youth coaching establishment that emphasizes athleticism and organization over basic skill development. Just take a look at the average MLS player and his ability to trap and pass. Then compare this to players in the top Euro leagues. The differences are embarassing. I was once told that the difference between a high caliber player and a hacker is the space within which he is able to collect /trap a ball. The pro does it within inches, the hacker within feet. Watch the trapping and the passing accuracy of the national team as well as the MLS teams and you will quickly see why we have a tough time competing.

3.) I do disagree strongly with Kartik’s and Jamie’s belief that teaching professionalism is somehow critical to improving the quality and performance of our players. The real answer is SKILLS. We need to teach passing, trapping and dribbling constantly from the earliest ages. Even shooting is not as critical as most youth coaches make it out to be. Most Brazilian players don’t even get to play with a real goal until they are in their teens —the result more of poverty than planning—but it doesn’t seem to have hurt their development.

The national team should consist of players that are examples of the types of players that we want to develop, Instead, because of our short term desire to avoid embarassment, we field the safest team possible.

Part of the problem lies with the fact that our most prominent coaches like Arena and Bradley fail to use their “bully pulpit” to exhort the coaching establishment to stop turning out players that are mediocre at best.

6. eplnfl says:

I just wanted to say that I thought Jamie Trecker was at his best in this podcast. Very enjoyable. Any news on a book on this World cup from Jamie?

7. CA says:

Why no love for Landon Donovan? I think his name only came up once.

8. Charles says:

Jason says the problem is the players are choosing the wrong options in Europe. I will learn from the great post as I am sure he knows Europe better than I. Then Short Passes says we need to teach skills better. Who wouldn’t agree with that ? I do, watch some of the trapping in MLS if you don’t.

But don’t you think that is all solved if old NASL, MLS, new NASL, whatever, is supported.
    Money gets you talent. Real talent. Even my mediocre Seahawks (5-7 in NFL) have players that if playing for the Sounders would blow away the league.

The talent will never really show up until the league is able to pay players….in America. Period. But the vibe I get from many is they would rather see players go to Europe….to HELP the National Team. Maybe US gets out of the group stage in a better draw like this….long term, on average expect HUGE disappointment until there is supported soccer league in America.

9. short passes says:

Charles, I didn’t intend to ignore the importance of MLS — I love it, especially the Chicago Fire — however, I continually watch rising stars who just don’t measure up when it comes to the basics. If I had my way, training would consist almost exclusively of small sided games within small spaces. It develops passing, trapping and above all creativity. I want to explode when I see select team coaches with their teams on the field running through “plays” — center mid to outside mid, outside mid to winger, winger back to center mid, etc., etc., etc. AAARRRRRRRGH !!

10. ET UGH says:

More nonsense from Trecker. This is a group we have to be co-favorites to win. Actually I think we do win it, with a minimum of seven points, maybe nine points yet everything is always so negative.

And Kartik, your history lessons are becoming old and boring. We all know by now that we suck and were once better according to you and that we always suck against European teams especially when eurosnobs like yourself are judging. Give it a rest already.

11. Charles says:

We agree almost 100%, would love for you to coach my teams.
    IMHO, as more money comes into the league, all problems will be solved. I could coach Kaka to trap…..
    As MLS fans we can KNOW WE are the reason the US national team is getting better.
    The Euro lovers would love to think it is because the Keller type’s of USMNT played in Europe..they are shortsighted and wrong. It is because kids like my son want to grow up to become Keller, not of EPL fame, of Sounder fame.

• short passes says:

Charles — Sounders are actually one of my favorite teams in MLS. Definitely one of the more skillful, entertaining teams. I was hoping for a Sounders–Fire final. Not the biggest fan of Sigi but right now he’s not messing up the players–that’s the best that you can hope for in a coach.

12. short passes says:

Et Ugh — your comments about Kartik’s criticisms is a perfect example of the battle between soccer “purists” like Kartik, Paul Gardner, and probably me and “fans” like yourself. I can sympathize with your irritation at he constant criticisms (my son is constantly on my case about being too negative about the players).
    In defense of the purists I would say that we love the game and the players as much as you–the fans. However, we have a deep frustration with how the soccer establishment, US Soccer and the coaching fraternity (its training schools included), have taken US player development down the old English path. athleticism and organization.
    Believe me, I want to win as much as you do but I also want to enjoy the quality of our play and right now that’s a problem.

13. eplnfl says:

short you point out something very important in the debate and growth of the USA game, purists vs. the common man. I note your love of the Fire and I am a supporter myself and we know the Fire fans are of the common man type for the great part. Nothing wrong with taking a purist view at all but for the game to grow by the leaps and bounds we all want it to the common man needs to be served. Worry about purist later in my opinion.

14. Charles says:

I was a huge Sting fan when I lived in Chicago.
    I was kind of hoping for the Sounders-Fire too, partly because I wanted to see my friend cry when they lost to the Sounders. ;-)

Chicago is a perfect example of why I get irritated. McBride, obviously one of the better players for USMNT’s inconsistant history. I am a huge fan of his hussle, if Donovan had half that heart…but I do think the athletic ability of a USMNT player will be higher in 10-15 years, but ONLY if soccer is supported here….it is NOT currently outside of Seattle.
    The Fire, obviously should be drawing more. I think the Sting attendance was higher 30 years ago. 15k is not going to do it.

And what do the Euro Lovers do ? Blame MLS. Blame US Soccer for the National Team.
    They should blame whoever does not show up to American soccer games/watch American soccer on TV, IMHO.

15. LI Matt says:

I’m not a reflexive Trecker-basher, but … did he seriously say the talent level was the same as 1990??

Does anyone really think Mike Windischmann could make the current team? John Stollmeyer? 21-year-old Meola (or 20-year-old Keller) with zero professional experience? I’ll give you Ramos and Wynalda, but the rest of them … come on.

16. uggs outlet says:

17. short passes says:

LI Matt — excellent point. I agree that Trecker, Gardner, me? sometimes get carried away with criticizing. However, you may have made an interesting point regarding trends — if you have to go back to Ramos and Wynalda for GOOD examples, what does it say about the current batch of players? I hadn’t considered this before. After our near successes with that older group, have we gone backwards? Have we become afraid to go with the edgy players and become too conservative in our player selection?

Kartik any comments????????

18. USA GONA GET WHOOPED says:

YOUR GOING DOWN YANKS JUST LIKE LAST TIME, 2-0 WAS THE LAST SCORE IF YOU CAN READ BOOKS AND THAT ISNT OUR FULL A SQUAD. SCORE WILL BE 3-0 TO ENGLAND BECAUSE YOU CANT DEFEND FOR LOVE NOR MONEY AND YOU WONT BE ABLE TO OUTMUSCLE US OR PRESSURE US BECAUSE THATS OUR STYLE YOU MORONS!!!!!!!!!!!.

19. Tom says:

I think the US is one of those between generation phases. We just don’t have a really good players at this moment; and the injuries are not helping. I don’t know if it is structural or not.

20. uggs outlet says:

Wholesale and retail are both acceptable to us. Welcome to our site and free to look! Thank you and wish you a

nice day. Good Luck!