SAT, 7:45AM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
DEP
REAL
SAT, 10AM ET
SWA
SOU

Arsenal Forced Back To Reality.

Ars ne Wenger 001 Arsenal Forced Back To Reality.

The inevitable has finally happened. After a series of good results, solid performances and goal-scoring exploits, Arsenal have been shaken awake. Dreams of Premier League glory looks to be in pieces after defeats against Sunderland and Chelsea, and even though Arsene Wenger claims that the Carling Cup isn’t a priority, defeat had to taste bitter. After all, it is the only trophy in which they stand a realistic chance in clinching, and the manner of defeat must have been hard to swallow.

Arsenal have a reputation for being self-destructive, particularly when they’re in good form. Of course, the untimely injuries to Van Persie, Clichy, Sagna and Walcott played a part in their dip, but i attribute most of it to complacency. In past seasons, whenever Arsenal have been in the lead in a match, they’ve somehow always managed to either squander it, or make it seem like they’re going to squander it. How many heart attacks have they caused already? Yet it seems like Arsene’s Adolescents never learn their lessons.

Another factor is their inability to finish. In past seasons, the phrase “trying to pass the ball into the net” had been used in almost every Arsenal game by the commentators. Their passing and movement were  sublime, but without a natural finisher to complete the move, it was all hard work and no reward. This season, that seems to be less of a problem. However, the real test begins now. Van Persie will be out for almost the rest of the season, and the form Eduardo is in reminds me of Van Persie a season or two ago. Even if Arsene buys in January, is it enough to salvage their season?

It may seem like I’m making a mountain out of a molehill, but with Arsenal, no one can be sure. There was speculation that this could be the season for Arsenal. I say, there’s more work to be done.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to Arsenal Forced Back To Reality.

1. Gaz says:

Was anyone else in the US unable to watch the game via Setanta-i? I am still getting some sort of “content not found” error when I try to play the game.

It’s not the first time either. The whole service is just such rubbish.

It’s extremely frustrating especially given the fact that only about two games I’m interested in are shown on it per week. If they can’t even get those two games to me properly – why am I paying for this again? Definitely getting rid of this.

2. masterblaster says:

I’ll go a different direction and wonder why on Earth it’s only possible to see one of the four Carling Cup quarterfinal games on TV when I’m paying for both Fox Soccer Channel AND Setanta. Yes, I watched the first half of the ManU-Tottenham game online at ESPN360, but as a Villa fan I would have loved to see them advance and then see Blackburn stun Chelsea in what sounded like a chaotic game from start to finish.

What gives…some kind of rights or something not allow anything but one game to be shown on television?

3. Hi

Good information and another factor is their inability to finish. In past seasons, the phrase “trying to pass the ball into the net” had been used in almost every Arsenal game by the commentators.

4. OzGoonerGuy says:

Nothing like the month of November to thoroughly roger Arsenal’s hopes of silverware.

For me, Wenger is imbedding a couple of fatal flaws into our team through his adherence to a youth heavy squad.

Firstly, our boys in their early 20′s, however great their potential are years away from their peak. Only a freakish talent like Fabregas is an exception. We are playing teams at the top level who have their players at their peak. It’s no co-incidence that the teams that win trophies have the world’s best players. The word potential doesn’t even come into it. Basically someone who is 20-22 is not as strong or tough as someone who is 28-30.

Secondly, we are carrying too many players who at present are not good enough. Players like Diaby and Almunia would not get starting places in Barca, Real Madrid, Man U, Inter, Bayern. Particularly in the keeping department we are not good enough. I’m sure with a strong keeper who helped to organise their defence, we could have prevented at least 1 of Chelsea’s goals.

So we will see what happens in January. Arsenal need an experienced striker and a world class keeper to have any chance to win anything. Remember, Gazidis has virtually mandated a trophy this year. I’m sure Kronke will want victories as well. Now it is up to Wenger to produce the results.

5. Jorge Curioso says:

A bit of crying wolf here. Wenger’s been decimated by injuries, both up front and at the back. City are a collection of excellent talent that will occasionally come good. Arsenal’s loss, at City, it not shocking at all.

The Gunners are in fourth, with a game in hand, and their next two matches against Bolton and Stoke City.

Barely a bump in the road, this match was.

6. Tyson says:

I think you make a good point.

Arsenal are a wonderful team but they only let themselves down because they are fairly inconsistent. The problem is with the modern day premier league Manchester United and Chelsea are incredibly consistent. Those two teams go into every single match expecting nothing less than a win.

If you give up points in the PL even in November it means something.

I don’t think it means they won’t get any silverfare. While I think the Champions League is most likely out of their reach I wouldn’t say anybody is out of the running for the PL title yet.

These kinds of things happen all the time and teams end up in various positions in the place.

Let’s not forget Chelsea were 8 points ahead of United last year and United went on a string of record breaking runs that were damn near perfect and finished at a record amount of points.

Arsenal and Liverpool shouldn’t be ruled out this early, nobody should but of course with the way Chelsea and United are winning lately if they keep it consistent Arsenal and Liverpool will have trouble keeping up.

The dynamic of most teams changes after the christmas break and Arsenal are usually a little more consistent in the second half of the season than the first though as opposed to Chelsea or Liverpool who almost never perform better in the second half of the season. If I had to guess I’d say Arsenal will finish third on a good second half season.

• oliver says:

“United went on a string of record breaking runs that were damn near perfect and finished at a record amount of points.”

Chelsea achieved more points in both their title winning seasons than Man U did last season

7. Leeboy says:

@ masterblaster

Sky Sports have the live rights to the Carling Cup in the UK. They pick a couple of matches per round to show live. Unlike the Premier League there is no central contract to provide a full outside broadcast at other matches, so usually these are covered by the club’s website or TV channel but are not shown live.

Did they show Sky’s feed in the US?

8. Gillyo says:

In my view, there are 2 problems:
    1)Wenger refuses to spend money in any player, that means Arsenal is a collection of mediocre players and the occasional first class, that leave Arsenal at the first offer from a major club.
    2) Because the defensive part is so vulnerable,it doesn’t matter how brilliant they are up front, there’s no confidence in going forward. It’s a castle of cards, they will be amazing against mediocre clubs, but as soon as they face a decent club, they fall apart.
    Now, the real problem is: Fabregas will leave the club at the end of the season to go to Barca and fulfill his true potential (who can blame him?).
    That will be the turning point for Arsenal and Wenger.

9. Robert says:

I think Tyson is right on.

Everyone has injuries, but Arsenal’s list, on a thin squad, is pretty bad. They right now are an interesting mix of young players oozing with potential (Wilshere, Wolcott) and players who are borderline Prem starters. Players like RVP and Cesc were the glue that held them together.

What’s most concerning to me as an Arsenal fan are (a) how poorly Arsharvin has played, whether due to sadness over Russia losing or something else; (b) Eduardo looking like he is unable to return to pre-injury form, and (c) an injury to Gallas that could hinder him.

10. OzGoonerGuy says:

I also think the injuries are partly due to fielding so many young players. They simply aren’t as physically developed or resilient as players 6-10 yrs older than them. Arsenal’s lack of physical presence or ‘enforcers’ on the pitch now also means we are more prone to getting roughed up by less technically capable sides…and that’s why we get so many injuries. And they are frequently lengthy periods out as well, not just a week or 2.

There’s no denying Arsenal are a good team, and will beat most opponents. But what we’re talking about here is winning trophies, and that means beating Chelsea, Barca, Madrid, Man U etc to do it. You saw the gap in class with Chelsea, that’s why I don’t think the current squad, right now, can do it. I think we are 2 or 3 world class players short, especially at GK.

If you took the current squad and added the likes of say Buffon, Ribery, Villa, then you’d be seriously excited about our prospects of silverware this season. But the squad as-is won’t make it. Carling Cup may have been a chance, but Wenger thinks they can win the EPL or Champions League and I don’t think that’s realistic.

As I said before, Gazidis wants silverware this year, and if it’s not delivered, then something has got to give.

11. john says:

Thats what bugs me the most tho.

He says the Carling Cup isnt a priority so he plays the younger kids but in reality, thats really the only competition they are capable of winning.

The premier league is done. They are 11 pts back (with a game in hand)..I just don’t see Chelsea dropping a whole lot of pts to get back into it.

The Champions League I dont think they stand a shot either with the amount of great teams playing in that competition.

They may get a few breaks in the FA Cup and might be able to win that but who knows. The first match isn’t going to be a walk in the park since the last time we went to west ham I believe it ended in a draw.

Carling cup was the best chance at winning something and as much as I like seeing Ramsey, Vela, Wilshere etc etc he could have sprinkled in a few vets

12. ronald- sin says:

dear oh john, how i hate to let u know, pl don’t underestimate t potential of t youngster! u may be a fan of whatever club that u luv or bewitched. In life u never be born to be a winner.So be cool n watch t beautiful n unpredictable game. That’s life n suspense that brings t beauty of soccer. Don’t u thk so? By t way, I’m not an arsenal fan but I do believe they play good one touch football which other clubs may have not chosen . Pl do not be offended n let us know yr best prediction or expertise on winning t EPL or t unwanted Carling Cup? Anyway, I’m a liverpoolean. Welcome to Anfield. Hv a good day mate.

13. Jay says:

Liverpool 1
    Arsenal 2

Love how you all were counting us out.

Still a game in hand, theoretically 3 points from top.