WED, 2:45PM ET
ATL5
MAL0
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV2
ZEN0

Questions Please For Ron Davies, Southampton Legend

ron davies Questions Please For Ron Davies, Southampton LegendLater this week I’ll have the distinct pleasure of interviewing Ron Davies, a football legend who achieved incredible success at Southampton and Norwich City, as well as playing for Manchester United and several other clubs.

In fact it was while playing for Southampton against Manchester United at Old Trafford in August 1969 where Davies scored an incredible four goals. It’s no wonder then that United later signed the Welsh forward in 1974.

Davies later went on to play in the NASL for the LA Aztecs, Tampa Bay Rowdies and Seattle Sounders.

In preparation for my interview with Ron Davies, I’d like to ask you – the readers – for suggested interview questions. Please post them in the comments section below between now and midnight Wednesday, December 2nd. If your question is selected, your name will be mentioned on air when the EPL Talk Podcast episode is published.

8 Responses to Questions Please For Ron Davies, Southampton Legend

1. Jesse says:

I recently read while at Chester City in the late 50′s/early 60′s you were made to wear Army boots during training on hurdles – this supposedly gave you strength when jumping to head crosses. Is there any truth to this? How much did this training technique actually benefit you?

What other odd or unique training methods did you experience at different clubs throughout the 60′s & mid-70′s? How do those training techniques differ from techniques in football today?

2. On me 'Ead son says:

Hi Ron

Do you realise what a hero you are to thousands of people in the Southampton area ?

3. St Godders says:

Ron you were my boyhood hero and I enjoyed watching you play fpr Saints and for Wales.

Have you thought of producing a book of your sketches of Saints players past and present. You could auction the originals. I have spoken to lots of people and they would just love a Ron Davis original of their favourite player. I particularly would give an arm and a leg for a sketch of my other hero Mike Channon drawn by the best centre forward in europe in his prime.

4. Christian says:

I’d like to hear a little about his time with the Rowdies, and his thoughts on the new NASL (if he has any).

5. Colin says:

Watched you all through the 60s at the Dell, had the pleasure of meeting you when you gave out our Bowling Trophys at the Bitterne Bowl in 1968,you were a true gent and I thought what a humble person for such a big football star no ego, I was also at the time John Sydenhams milky,also a great guy always had time to talk. My question is I moved to Seattle in 1970 and watched you play for the Sounders under Jimmy Gabriel or was it Alan Hinton, they played you at Center Half was it for a particular reason because it didnt seem like you were happy back there, I now live in Florida, and wish you all the best Ron, sorry to here about the wife, All the very best to you a true Saints Legend.

6. Brian Bellis says:

Hello Ron,
    I’m wishing you well, I often called for you when you lived at Magazine cottage for a kick around on the mountain, before you even moved to Brynford; that was in the 50’s and way before your talents got recognised. If you want to touch base as they say in your new language my email is enclosed. I lived on that side of the pond also and missed all your success during that period. Good to have found you and great to read of your success, fans and friends found and the manner in which you conducted yourself.
    iechyd da good health
    Brian.

7. Rob Edwards says:

I was a big fan of football in the 1960s and 70s. A marvellous era. I saw Ron Davies play many times. He was tremendous. I once saw him in a Home International match at The Racecourse, Wrexham playing alongside Wyn Davies. Probably the two best headers of a ball who have played together. They say, “Good Strikers Hunt in Pairs”. That was true of Ron and Wyn. The two playing together were Dynamic. Thanks for the memory.

8. mike hampton says:

hi ron , you were the best centre forward in the old 1st division by a mile. no one could head a ball like you, or score as many great goals as you did. as fare as i am concerned you were the best centre forward the saints ever had.i only wish there was a dvd of all the goals you scored for the saints.