THURS, 12PM ET
MON
VIL
THURS, 3PM ET
EVE
WOL

See What Became Of Arsenal’s Highbury Stadium: Video

Arsenal’s old Highbury Stadium, down the road from its modern neighbor at Ashburton Grove, is no more but it has been redeveloped into a housing development and has maintained two of the previous Highbury buildings as well as a lot of the charm of the stadium. While this isn’t new news, the above video is new and it gives us a good idea of what it would be like to visit the current Highbury Square, as it has been renamed.

Thanks to The Offside Rules for the video.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to See What Became Of Arsenal’s Highbury Stadium: Video

1. Jaime says:

My parents are buying a flat there, I believe where the North Stand was. I cant wait till I can visit! Highbury was brilliant and it will always hold a special place in my, and all Arsenal fans, heart.

2. Melanie says:

Thanks for posting this, it was fascinating. Shame that here in America (where I am in unfortunate exile ) they don’t seem to have enough of a sense of history it seems to preserve their sports history in a similar way.

3. scott says:

Interesting development…would be awesome as a fan to be able to live there.

However, the video brought up a quick thought…the video seemed to show clips from some sort of old soccer/football movie…

So my question is: What are the “classic” football movies from the UK that a fan should be interested in?

I mean as a Yank, I know “Victory” and “Bend It Like Beckham” and “Green Street Hooligans” and the like, but what are (if there are any?) the classic footie movies from the UK?

It makes me think of classic US sports films…”Pride of the Yankees,” “Rudy,” or this list from ESPN http://espn.go.com/page2/movies/s/top20/fulllist.html

So, what do you think Gaffer? You’ve already done a list of footie reads…how about footie movies?

• The Gaffer says:

Scott, great minds think alike and that topic for an article is in the works. It may take a while though.

As for the clips of the black and white movie that’s shown in the above Highbury Square video, it’s from a murder-mystery film from 1940 called The Arsenal Stadium Mystery – more info at http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0031055/

I don’t believe it’s available on video anymore, but you may be able to find it out there somewhere.

4. scott says:

Oh, of course then I see the sidebar ad for “The Damned United”…which was amazing to watch (watched online) for a Yank who doesn’t, and may never really, know UK footie history.

5. brn442 says:

Highbury was the first stadium I ever went to. The fact that it was on a residential block amongst non-descript row houses is something many American fans would’ve found interesting considering they’re used to Stadia in the middle of nowhere.

However, the ground was past its sell by date. The irony that a top club in “fashionable” North London that paid some of its players £100,000 per week but you still had to pee on a wall wasn’t lost on me. Wonderful memories though.

• PABLO says:

The older grounds in the US are no different. I guess you have never been to Wrigley Field or Yankee Stadium. Unfortunately as the times have evolved and property values have skyrocketed, it is much more economically feasable to build a large state of the art facility on the edge of town. However, some franchises still build in urban areas. Look at both of Baltimore’s stadiums, there are right in the middle of lower to middle class downtown neighborhoods.

• brn442 says:

You’re right Pablo. My “in the middle of nowhere” comment wasn’t a critique of where American stadia are, as you’ve said, it simple economics. I did go to the old Yankee Stadium, I haven’t been to Wrigley but do you have to let yourself off on a wall? Up until Highbury I haven’t done that since primary school.

• PABLO says:

Unfortunately you do not have to pee on a wall. At least its not Azteca Stadium in Mexico City where fans pee on the floor where they stand.

6. Perry says:

Yankee Stadium was, of course, just torn down and replaced by a new one next door. (And the one they tore down had been pretty much rebuilt from scratch in the “renovation” of 1973-4.) Fenway and Wrigley are the two ancient ones still standing. Many of the new baseball parks are downtown but none are in residential areas.

As for football films, I quite like the UK version of Fever Pitch, starring Colin Firth.

7. Scott says:

Whoa!! Did the Gaffer just imply that I’m a great mind? Oh, the ecstasy!!

Cheers indeed =]