FRI, 2:30PM ET
HOU
FRI, 8:30PM ET
USA
MEX

Questions Please For Miles Jacobson Of Football Manager

fm2010 Questions Please For Miles Jacobson Of Football Manager

If you have any burning questions about Football Manager 2010 that you’ve been dying to ask, please post them in the comments section below by midnight today and we’ll ask the best questions during our interview tomorrow with Miles Jacobson, the original creator of Championship Manager and the company behind the successful Football Manager series.

If your question is asked on-air, we’ll mention your name.

There’s a ton of excitement building up to next month’s release of Football Manager 2010, which includes plenty of new features.

In the past few weeks, EPL Talk Podcast host Kartik Krishnaiyer and I have been busy lining up some of the biggest names in football including Miles Jacobson, David Rutter (FIFA 10), Rebecca Lowe (ESPN UK), Georgie Bingham (ESPN US), Barney Ronay (The Guardian), Andy Lyons (When Saturday Comes), Mel Charles (Arsenal), Paul Dempsey (Setanta) and plenty more surprises and big names on the way. Subscribe to the EPL Talk Podcast via iTunes or visit EPL Talk or the archives for the latest episodes.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Questions Please For Miles Jacobson Of Football Manager

1. Zola612 says:

Gaffer,

As a loyal stateside FM’er since FM2005. I can testify to the angst and frustration associated with getting the game stateside(and for Macintosh) in a timely manner, via hard copy or via download. I recognize it must be a tremendous undertaking to distribute a game worldwide, but that does little to soothe my anxiety when I see my mates in the UK enjoying the game before I do.

My question for Miles is… “What sort of market is there in the US for Football Manager (or Worldwide Soccer Manager) and what are SI doing to build that market?”

~Brian (Zola612)

2. usf_fan1 says:

What extra efforts are being made to make sure the game is more “out of the box playable?” Each year I buy the game I wait until one patch ATLEAST is out from FM. Without it, the game is nearly impossible to play with all of glitches.

• Zola612 says:

Years ago I would have agreed with you. But FM09 was very solid out of the box. Certainly no game-breakers in my opinion.

I am not havin’ a go at you here, I am really curious what you thought was so bad about FM09 upon release.

3. usf_fan1 says:

sorry, forgot to leave my name above,
    thanks Tony Hickman, San Francisco CA.

4. B.K. says:

Zola you must be kidding me… FM09 was the most glitchy, buggy, unfinished, “how did that get past quality control” game I’ve ever seen. Three patches later and there are STILL massive bugs. I’m playing it right now.

• Zola612 says:

B.K.,
      I am not havin’ a laugh. I am playing it now, as well.

“glitchy, buggy, unfinished etc.”–Those aren’t terribly specific criticisms, are they?
      “Three patches later and there are STILL massive bugs.”–I am not asking for a annotated list, but is it too much to ask for you to name one. So I can understand what you consider a massive.

I’ve read and participated in the SI(and other sites) threads and the criticisms routinely fall in that camp. I am not interested in re-creating some sort of SI fanboy/hater thread here. I asked USF_Fan1 a question, and I got more vague complaints from you. Maybe USF would be more specific. I guess I should have known better than to ask. Oh well, different site, same internet.

• B.K. says:

I love the game…there’s nothing like it on the level of detail and all that.
        But it’s kind of clear something is wrong when the demo needs a patch two days after release and the full game gets its first patch in a matter of weeks/months instead of in February like we usually do.
        But since you asked for specific criticisms, here are some that I’m experiencing at the moment:
        - In MLS, for some reason when I go to register my squad, it registers about $20,000 or so as counting against the salary cap despite no players being selected. (this isn’t too widespread but it’s happened to me more than once)
        - I’m playing multiple managers and one of them is coach of NEC in Holland as well as a national U-20 team. Somehow it completely misses the squad selection for the U-20 team, I end up with NO players on the pitch (my assistant helpfully points out that I have not selected a goalkeeper) and lose 24-0.
        - The bug where you try to offer contracts to players and they ask for 90 pounds a week (they won’t accept either; you have to withdraw the offer and resubmit until it will work, or if it’s your own player you just wait and try again a day or two later)
        - When you’re in a match in TV view and have (for example) your side’s motivation and player ratings selected, it will change to the opposition team’s players once every few games.
        - Automatic player selection for squad registration (Champions League, La Liga, etc) goes completely mad after a while. It was 2021 and I’m in charge of Real Madrid. I happen to be on holiday when I’m asked to register my squad for La Liga and had to play an entire half-season (until I could register my squad again) without my 61-million pound 22-year-old Brazil captain and a whole host of regular first team players. It had chosen my 3rd-choice GK along with mostly reserve team players with 3 or 4 first-teamers seemingly picked at random.
        - In the Eredivisie European places playoff, I won 2-0 yet the aggregate showed 3-0 after just one match,
        ^ These were off the top of my head. That reminded me to go to my account on the forums and include some others that I’ve already reported.
        - Sweden calling up no GKs to the World Cup
        - Regen players without faces
        - I’m in the MLS Eastern Conference Final, New York (me) vs. New England. We play to 90′ scoreless. We make it all the way to the end of extra time still scoreless, so I’m asked to pick my penalty takers. I choose them, and it goes back to the view of the pitch before asking me to pick again. That’s weird. The picks I had just made were stored, so I just clicked continue, and then it starts processing. It then goes to my news screen, showing a 1-0 win for New England after extra time!
        Hope this is enough for you. Now I’ve mentioned some of these on the forums and granted, they seem very eager to look into the problems and fix them. The thing is, these problems are three patches in and they still haven’t been fixed. It really makes me wonder whether they actually test the thing before release or just fix all the problems afterward.

• Zola612 says:

I appreciate your answer. We clearly have different opinions as to what constitute “massive bugs”.
          cheers

• B.K. says:

Apparently we do have major differences…to me a massive bug is something that makes me just want to give up and throw the game in the trash when it happens. When the MLS salary cap bug happened, I had to resign (from a team I really wanted to coach) because there was no way I could put together a team with half my salary cap space already taken because of a bug. When a team is kicked out at the semi-finals of a competition because of a bug, that’s pretty frustrating when you’ve spent all that time building up that team. So is losing a game 24-0 because the program sent your team out without asking you.
            These might not be a big deal to someone who would probably be better off playing in the manager mode of FIFA.

5. Patrick Cleary says:

Gaffer,

My question for Miles:

What kind of improvements are being made on the international side of management? I like having the option to change over to a different type of challenge, but want a more realistic international experience. I’m thinking of things like pre-tournament camps, B-squads, exclusive coaches, etc.

Patrick

6. Lyle says:

Since SI has some 1500 people doing research on the the database, how do not change things so the database is less unbalanced and/or poorly researched? Ratings for players are all over the place and the problem seems to be having one fan research their own personal team… if they even end up actually doing that like they say they will.

The database is great, but it’s never up to date and is clueless about a host o of players outside the major leagues, and really anywhere outside England.

7. Gaz says:

The PC snobs will scoff at my question but here goes anyway:

Is there any chance that FM (or SM) will ever come to the console market in the US?

8. usf_fan1 says:

7 Zola612 – I think going to the SI Forum and reading the “Bug Forum” will shed light on my greater theme. I’ve had issues in past editions like you mentioned, and no longer feel comfortbale buying the game as soon as it comes out. From past experiences and from what I read on SI.com I perfer to wait until at least one patch is out. I’m hoping that greater work pre-release on issues will restore my desire to buy FM as soon as it releases.

Can’t fault me for that right? :)

• Zola612 says:

No, I can’t fault you for waiting. I didn’t deem any of the acknowledged bugs as game-breakers, so I enjoyed upon release.
      cheers

9. Geraldo says:

Ola, gostaria muito da ajuda de alguém, estou jogando com a Inter, e não consigo comprar nenhum jogador por que que aparece é que eu não posso comprar por que estou negociando com outros jogadores que tenho que primeiro acabar de negociar com esses jogadores. Mas não estou negociando com nenhum jogador.
    Por favor me ajudem.