SAT, 7:45AM ET
REAL3
BARCA1
SAT, 12:30PM ET
SWA2
LEI0

Gol TV Sucks!

goltv logo Gol TV Sucks!I’m sick of this crappy little network and having to deal with their bullshit.

They suck. Plain and simple! They promised us 3 games a week and they are already backing off to 2 games a week at best. They promised a contest that never materialized. They pick up Europa and won’t even show German teams. I appreciate the live games, but let’s not fool ourselves. They have only done so to accommodate more La Liga games. And now on top of all of it, they have cut Hallo Bundesliga from an hour show to a half-hour. They spend more time editing a pre-taped show than just putting it out there. And this after I interviewed the only likable character at that god forsaken network: Lindsay Dean, who is the voice of that show.

But as is their way, rather than telling us the truth, they lie or omit facts. This site will not longer shill to make these idiots look better than they are.

Let’s take the easy task of taping a game. That would require that these people actually send a schedule to a cable outfit, something they are incapable of doing. I had to tape a three hour block just to find Hallo Bundesliga on Tuesday. And if I wanted to tape a game, I can’t do so until the day of, because they don’t release their super secret schedule to the cable companies until Saturday. Perhaps they are afraid if we start taping games, we won’t stick around to watch Mexican infomercials about how to make our erection last longer. It seems that Mexican erections are definitely more important to Rodrigo Lombello than the most exciting league in the world.

And rather than give us the Cologne English feed with Alan Partridge, they make us suffer through the few games they offer with ditto-head extremist Phil Schoen and the only broadcaster this side of hell that made Tommy Smythe seem intelligent in Ray Hudson. He doesn’t even know the league and makes up half the crap he talks about. When Franck Ribery is injured, he’s actually at a loss for words.

I am just going to give up on the network and get my Bundesliga via illegal means. It’s better than dealing with this organization (and there is an oxymoron if I’ve ever seen one).

Hopefully ESPN will be ready when network is out-of-business to pick up the league when they have a full-time channel for the beautiful game.

This entry was posted in Leagues: Bundesliga, Media. Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Gol TV Sucks!

1. Chris says:

I’m with you. The only reason I pick up one of the sports packages from my cable company is to get Gol TV. Now that they 1) don’t have Serie A, 2) don’t advertise which Bundesliga match they are picking up until 24 hours before kick off, and 3) this business with the Europa League and teams from Berzerkystan, I am about to swear them off. I really don’t care for Uruguayan or Colombian matches (or Brazil really, for that matter) and the their highlight show is too focused on the Mexican league (which I like, but they don’t broadcast).

I am hoping, as you DP, that FSC or ESPN will buy the B’liga rights when they come up. I am tired of Gol TV.

2. angus jung says:

i agree with all of this, but it boggles my mind that anyone would dislike ray hudson!

3. Bvbnj says:

I agree with you 100%. The Hallo Bundesliga on Tuesday night was terrible. Why would they have to cut it down to 30 minutes? So we can watch another AC Milan Classic which is already on 4 times a day?

But they are showing 3 games this weekend. One of them including Dortmund, so im pumped.

4. Double Pivot says:

I had to say nice things about them when I was interviewing, but after realizing that they are liars, it’s just time to call a spade, a spade.

I’m glad you like Hudson angus. I personally find him to be worst than watching it muted. I want to the two English announcers. They actually live and breathe Bundesliga, so tend to know it rather than be of the mind-set, “hey, they play this game outside of Spain? neat”…..which is the Gol TV and Schoen/Hudson mentality.

5. bcperry1973 says:

I was almost at war as to who was responsible for GolTV’s programming–the network or DirecTV. They blamed the other when I emailed them both (along w/ the regular re-boot stuff you get from satellite companies.) It took me almost a week to be able to find Hallo! Bundesliga to be able to see Arjen Robben’s first highlights.

With GolTV being backed so much of Spanish-speaking games, and La Liga’s growth in popularity (or Real Madrid & Barcelona’s growth, let’s be honest), I fear that the Bundesliga might be pushed even more down the totem pole. And I wouldn’t hope too much about ESPN picking up he Bundesliga, so far their EPL coverage has focused on the “big 4.” As much a Bayern fan as I am, I do appreciate watching other teams’ games. What would be a dream would be if somehow Setanta could get fixed, and maybe Setanta could carry Bundesliga, along w/ SPL and/or Serie A. Either that or some other TV zillionaire tycoon start a football-only channel that doesn’t focus on either England or Spain.

6. scmcbride says:

I don’t get what all the fuss is about. They release their schedule as soon as La Liga release their schedule each week. It’s your guide that isn’t updated, but go to GolTV.tv and you will see the schedule. ESPN360 is a legal way of getting more Bundesliga online by the way. Ray Hudson is a gift from the God’s. Although, I myself do love Alan Partridge too. This week they have 3 live matches 2 of which are live from the Bundesliga. Just check the website midweek and they post their schedule at the bottom of the home page in spanish or english whichever you prefer.

• bcperry1973 says:

I checked both GolTV.tv as well as my DirecTV info, and they conflicted. Therefore I got confused as to what’s on–especially since I was going to DVR Hallo! Bundesliga. I’d definitely score 360, but it’s not offered yet in my area. GolTV and/or 360 isn’t offered everywhere, of course, so somebody isn’t going to be happy either way.

7. sucka99 says:

From what I’ve read, the schedules are incorrect on the GolTV-E channel and not on the GolTV-S channel. Don’t understand it, but that’s what it is.

If you really want the Bundesliga, there’s a German network on Dish that shows ALL THE GAMES!!

• bcperry1973 says:

I emailed DirecTV about how Dish is better w/ foreign language/international programming, and their reply was that more foreign language was supposed to be coming up the pipe soon. I specifically asked about German programming, and they said that German was a part of the int’l programming.

8. Mark says:

I agree with all the frustrated comments about Gol TV. I’m a Bundesliga fan in Canada, and it seems that Gol TV is the only option here to catch German soccer.

Although I enjoy seeing the other teams, I’m a Hamburg fan, and I’ve actually started to subscribe to their HSV TV website. They show all of Hamburg’s Bundesliga and DFB Cup games (no UEFA matches) right after the game is over. They also have hi-lights and interviews. The interface is pretty good (like You Tube), and the video quality is great. Of course the commentary and interviews are in German though! I’m trying out the 3-month subcription, which costs about $20, and so far I’m happy with it, so I’ll probably go for the year subscription that works out to about $4/month. I think some of the other teams have the same service (Bayern at least), so it might be an option for you guys. I like it a lot better than searching for live streams!

9. Mark says:

I forgot to mention that I use the browser on my PS3 to watch the games on my TV full-screen so I don’t have to sit at the computer…

10. Luke says:

DP, you have seen the light! Yeah, I understand the position you were in when you interviewed Lombello, but everything the guy said was either totally unreasoned, or simply a line of bull. Bottom line is, German football is filler programming for these guys. They really don’t care who we want to see or when we want to see them. The worst part of it is, they own the rights for two more seasons after this one. But, on the bright side, sub-licensing matches to ESPN expands exposure. If GOLTV were to collapse at some point during the length of this contract, I would imagine ESPN would continue with at least as much exposure to the Bundesliga as they do now.

11. Luka says:

Try following a team called Assyriska from Australia – 17AUD per game to watch it online, and Australia broadband internet is so bad that our bandwidth isn’t even capable of streaming the game properly.

On the topic at hand….Setanta usually shows 2-3 Bundesliga games live per week and announces which games they will show weeks in advance. So maybe us Aussies have it better than the Americans for once :)

12. Jeff says:

I’m just pissed that it seems like GOL TV sub-licensed all their big Bundesliga games to ESPN but ESPN doesn’t even show them on TV only on ESPN 360. I mean the biggest Bundesliga game of the year so far in my opnion was the Bayern/Wolfsburg game and it’s not even on TV, only ESPN 360. That is ridiculous. Why didn’t GOL TV keep that game and show it on TV? It just doesn’t make any sense.

By the way, they are screwing up the La Liga games as well. It’s something to do with this sub-licensing deal with ESPN. It seems to have screwed everything up. GOL TV always use to show every Real Madrid and Barcelona game each week. But last weekend Real was only on ESPN 360. Again, why wasn’t this game on GOL TV or ESPN? Not only that but the game ESPN was supposed to televise for La Liga wasn’t even televised.

13. Lakini says:

Guys,

I am german and I am sitting in Peru right now and I am also really angry about GolTv and ESPN, just two games this weekend is really poor and I am looking everywhere to catch more channels since I am running a fanzine and actually have to see all 9 games…I used to do that before in germany. But apart from taping everything on Save.TV, the Bwin.com-Livestreams and some other internetstreams, there doesnt seem to be any way for me to see some more liveaction. I switched back to the good old radio now on saturdays mornings via livestream as well.
    Here in Peru, ESPN360 isnt available either and where actually has ESPN2 gone?
    I remember, in Mid-August there were 5 games on on GolTv and ESPN but now only two.
    As a Hamburg-Fan I would have loved to see them on sunday, moreover the topmatches are Leverkusen/Bremen and Bayern/Nürnberg – but nothing. Instead some dull Hannover/Dortmund-match on saturday.

Whats this “Dish” all about?

14. Joe says:

I personally like Phil Schone and Ray Hudson because I am a la liga fan, Real Madrid to be exact. But yeah , last season Real games where on GOLTV every weekend and now its like gonna be once a month , dont understand why. GOLTV is totally messing up what a great season Real Madrid will be having…

15. Shane says:

Well, if the match is on ESPN360 then it is on ESPN Deportes. Now of course that is great for some people, luckily myself as my provider doesn’t get ESPN 360 but does get Deportes, but then you have people in Canada who have neither or people with only ESPN 360 but no Deportes and would prefer to watch on TV than internet.

A common misnomer I see everywhere is people being perplexed why the better games are on ESPN and not on GolTV. This is because GolTV sells all the best games to ESPN because ESPN is willing to pay a ton for them. That is how it is going to be this year. Next week we have Hamburg vs Bayern in what should be the best game so far this season. I guarantee you it will be on ESPN and not GolTV.

Even with all the complaining which is reasonable against GolTV you have to be very happy if you get GolTV and ESPN 360/Deportes. You have more games than ever before. This weekend there are 4 matches to watch and every weekend has had 4-5 matches. Last year we got 2-3.

16. Diego says:

God goltv sucks they dont play all the good German games and they havent play one real madrid game at all this channel suck i want to see rubben play with ribery and all the madrid stars this shit sucks

17. Lakini says:

Well like I said, in Southamerica there is no Bundesliga on ESPN at all and no espn365 either. Thats sad, cause the people here in Peru would love to see especially the games with Pizarro and Guerrrero involved – but nothing.

18. cky27 says:

I am hardly a Goltv apologist, but let’s get real.

19. cky27 says:

Well messed that up, let’s try again:

I am hardly a Goltv apologist, but let’s get real.
    1. In case anybody has missed it, the global economy kind of still sucks, am I happy about the farming out of games to the giant ESPN monster? Of course not, especially since a damn tree prevents ESPND from coming in properly. However, and I guess this falls into the whole beggars/choosers thing, it beats the heck out of a blank screen where mu Bundesliga/ La Liga games used to be.

2. Correct me if I’m wrong, but over the first 6 weeks of the season, I think Goltv has only failed to show 3 games on a week-end just once, there showing 3 this weekend including Bayern-Hamburg. (as a Borussia Dortmund fan, I’d rather see the Schalke game, well considering how BVB are playing, maybe not.

3. Ray Hudson is obviously a matter of taste. Is he over the top, certainly, but lord knows I’ve heard worse. (Pablo Alcina must be stopped at all costs).

4. The scheduling snafu seems to be (slowly) working itself out.

This is not to say that there are not some serious issues, and that the concerns aren’t valid, they certainly are. The Bundesliga commentary from previous seasons are far better, and while I rarely watched Hallo Bundesliga, cutting the show in half seems a curious decision.

However, I suspect the fact is that Goltv has some serious financial issues, and like any other business, they are going to make the business programming issues that make fiscal sense to them. They would do well to remember however that aggravating a loyal fan base, no matter what the size, is probably not the best long term move.

VA:F [1.6.1_878]

20. Eyambe Johnson says:

why are real madrid games not shown live on GolTv?

21. Steven says:

Well I love you they cut they Hamburg Munich game by a third so we could watch Malaga Barcelona fans in the stadium and officials checking the field-absolutely ridiculous. Even when Hamburg scored they devoted about 10 seconds to showing a very quick replay where you couldnt even see what happened. And all to see Barcelona beat up on a mid-table Spanish team. Ridiculous

• Allen says:

It seems to be more important to show players getting off their buses in Spain instead of showing the big match in Germany!
      Frustrating is an understatement! Even Proseiben stopped showing Bundesliga conference this season and this is a German pay channel. If they come to their senses and start showing matches again I will cancel goltv.

22. bruce wayne says:

GolTV really really sucks!!
    Top game Bundesliga, first vs. third, HSV vs Bayern! Finally a top game that is living up to the high expectations! Great game, 0:0 and 65 min played, tension running high…..and then???? The switch to the very important first 3 minutes of Barcelona vs Malaga! Hellooooo?? Final 20 min of a top game cut off because of Barcelona’s first 5 min.?? Nothing against Malaga, but FCB vs Mal isn’t a thriller! And of course, I missed the only goal of the game…

23. CinToronto says:

I can understand Bundesliga fans’ concerns, but la liga coverage has been drastically reduced as well. Clearly, the network is in a money-saving mode, with all of this pre-taped analysis. Their Canadian website with the schedule is not being updated property. They didn’t even let us know they were going to show the Barca match, all it says even now is “la laga in progress.” It’s not fair to say it’s just because of the global economy. A lot of cable stations start to put out more crap when they have a certain number of subscribers. There should be live coverage of some game right now, and it’s just pre-taped crap.

24. Luke says:

Today’s coverage was a new low even by the horrific standards of GOLTV. There’s no reason they couldn’t have run a split screen the entire time. Also, they could have learned something from Sky’s Bundesliga Konferenz feed, which ProSiebenSat1 customers are familiar with. They also could have run the first half of the Barca match on delay, and caught up to it during halftime. As always, they don’t really care at all about their Bundesliga audience. I will go out of my way *not* to patronize any of their sponsors, and I hope they just sell off all their Bundesliga rights to ESPN so we can be rid of them forever.

25. Werner Krause says:

I have been a GOL TV customer and watcher for a long time. But what happened last Saturday was the worst in sports reporting I have ever experienced.
    Gol TV showed the top German Bundesliga game betwee Hamburg (No. 1) and Bayer Munich. It was a good, topugh and interesting game. Then three quarters thru the game Gol switched to pre-game show of Malaga vs. Barcelona. We watched the Barcelona team getting out of the bus. That minute Hamburg scored the only goal. All my friens and I are mad at GolTV

26. tattooedsean says:

I am glad that ESPN Deportes also televises Bundesliga matches each weekend.

27. rocoach says:

GolTV is totally ruining the coverage of the Barcalona-Real Madrid game with its meaningless “GolTV Exclusive Cam” shots. I want to see the game, not random out-of-context shots of the crowd, managers, players’ backs, etc., all while the action is taking place unseen by us, the GolTV viewers.

I’m unable to log-in to the GolTV website to complain, so thought I post here instead…

28. Rick thompson says:

Lolumad?

29. 18 oyunlar says:

30. heiner says:

GolTV sucks! there is an top match coming up next saturday when dortmund play at bayern munich and what do these idiots do? they broadcast it… at 10.30 pm! the game starts at 12.30! I DON’T WANNE SEE THIS GAME 8 HOURS LATER!!! shit, what do i pay for? getting another columbian league match? or some stupid spanisch league action? i’ll cancel my packege as soon as possible, that’s for sure! all the good games are on espn360 anyway!

31. Sayd says:

GolTv had it made. They were the premier site for World Football. I love watching la LIga games, however in 2010, Barcelona games are being missed in favor of middle of the table club games. The last few weeks …no Barca game. GolTV also do not reply to emails. Perhaps the worst part … the split screen showing two games at once to the point where it would be best not to watch any game. Brutal !!

32. Dan says:

What has happened is that ESPN has really gotten into the game showing Bundesliga on ESPN espanol and via the interent on 360 (now espn3). DIsh network – which I got in 06 because of Goltv, now has rights to the german sports channel that supposedly shows most Bundesliga matches live. In Germany, I think all games are on liga total, a pay per view channel much like the nfl ticket on direct tv. I think Epsn dictates the schedule here in the US and Gol gets what Espn does not show. Direct tv now shows at least 6 or 7 La liga games live in the same way they are showing Euro league and showed Champions league group play, including a Mix channel that has 8 screens sometimes showing 8 live games. The Euro league schedule had as many as 16 games shown on Thursdays via the Direct TV MIx channel. Eventually, Bundesliga will get more of a contract with direct or dish and get the games in the sates – they have to since the US is the last untouched revenue horizon. I was able to catch a Dubai broadcast of Woflsburg v Hamburg from the first week of this season on the internet – it was the Liga Total broadcast to the Dubai cable system or SAT system that the dubai folks were able to subscribe to. I think GolTV will loose more of its viability in the next few years as the leagues get direct contact to us the customers via contracts with our systems of choice or with direct internet purchase. I already purchase online HSV-TV from HSV.de to catch the games in full even if it is after the fact. You can even listen to NDR2 radio live on the internet to get reports from all the Bundesliga games.
    Remember GolTV gets the same internet feed that we can get sometimes illegally off the internet. They have no control over the actual camera angles or footage. The schedule they show has to do with how ESPN have begun to be a bigger player – since ESPN will carry the world cup now on, they figure to show these leagues. Have you noticed how champions league has now moved to Fox soccer channel? It is all about the money. goltv has less money than the other 2 players in this game. At least I’ll be able to watch Hamburg tomorrow morning. As frustrating as it is, I remember a time when we had NO access to anything that was going on in the world of football – the 70′s and 80′s were a wash out – practically non existent to us here in the states but now we can get it all – and mostly live. Each year it will change. I like the 8 screen 8 game live at once Euro and Champions league mix channel that DirectTV has been showing this year.
    Hang in there Bundesliga Fans -

33. NANCY RILEY says:

34. Luigi says:

The Commentators for Inter Milan VS Roma for the Italian cup final are two incompetent, did not get one right, looks like they are watching a different game, unbelivable!!!!!! They shouldn’t not cheer for one of the two teams and abuse players, not professional at all!!!!

35. Nancy Riley says:

It is still not to late to get DirectV installed so you can get all of the World Cup action on all the Sports Channels. Free Installation and up to $34.00 off for 12 months. Call Me! Monday – Friday 5:00 pm – 10:00 pm mountain time USA. 1-888-500-0377 DirecTV has an extensive lineup of channels that show Soccer from around the world. They carry MLS DirectKick – which is the American Soccer League. Fox Soccer Plus complements the Fox Soccer Channel with live, exclusive soccer from the best leagues from around the world, including international and club competitions such as UEFA Champions League, England’s Barclay Premier League, England’s FA Cup, England’s National Team, Italy’s Serie A and more. You also get Rugby on the Plus channels. Unprecedented international soccer coverage. Want international soccer? Look no further — DIRECTV has more of it than anyone. UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, La Liga — catch up to 28 European soccer matches a week, only on DIRECTV. You can even watch multiple matches at once on one screen with DIRECTV’s exclusive Soccer Mix Channel. If you’re a soccer fan, you need DIRECTV. I sell DirecTV – you can reach me Monday – Friday 5:00 p.m. – 10:00 p.m. Mountain Time at 1-888-500-0377 Ask for Nancy. I will get you set up on a great package so you can view all the soccer you want.

36. aus dem norden says:

Hallo! I hope someone can help! I am in Toronto, Canada and want to watch the Bundesliga – specifically FC Bayern games. But I am confused as to what channels in Canada show the games live. I heard that the German channel ProSieben Sat 1 Welt shows Bundesliga games but I can find no reference to this on their international website…and it is 15.00 per month extra to get this channel! GolTV is another option but from what I read here, they focus more on Latin American leagues. Does anyone know what channel in Canada is the best to get live Bundesliga games?

• Dylan Thomas says:

Hey,
      I have GOL tv and I think it’s the best we have in Canada when it comes to the Bundesliga. Other than that, you can try and find live streams online when the games are on, but you may not get very many good quality ones. GolTv is your best bet though, so I’d get that if I were you. And then for the games that GolTV dont show, you can find live streams online.

37. aus dem norden says:

Thanks man! I will check it out! Cheers!

38. NANCY RILEY says:

Call me at 1-888-500-0377 – I will get you all the Soccer you can handle with GolTV, FoxSoccer1 and FoxSoccer2, you get all the Soccer from North and South America, plus All the European games. You will never miss any soccer match. Also – DirecTv has Soccer in 3D and advanced HD if you have Hi-def and/or 3D. USA – Mountain time Monday throught Friday 5:00 PMto 10:00 PM.