SAT, 7:45AM ET
BARCA
SAT, 12:30PM ET
SWA
LEI

Another Debacle. No Live TV For USA Road Qualifier In Honduras

Another Debacle. No Live TV For USA Road Qualifier In Honduras

The story was written by Steven Goff from the Washington Post and I have to say that once again supporters of the US Men’s National team are going to get screwed. If you thought that you couldn’t find the Mun2 channel for USA Vs Mexico in English then you will be completely out of luck on a possible clinch to South Africa when the live event won’t be on Pay Per View.

The Honduran Football Federation sold the rights of  the live event to an American company named Media World which is a division of Media Pro that is based in Spain will be selling the match to Latin American restaurants & bars on Close Circuit Television. That means your going to have to watch with some people that won’t be wearing your jerseys, but that’s never stopped us before.

Remember the last time we had to watch these two sides in Honduras for World Cup Qualifying only it was on PPV? Back in the final round of qualifying for the 2002 World Cup I was at Nathan Hale’s near City Hall in New York City and we saw Earnie Stewart launch a long distance rip past the keeper in the first half for a one goal to nil lead. Honduras would pull one back in the middle of the second half till inside the final ten minutes, the USA would get a free kick and right away I was screaming in the pub for Clint Mathis to take the free kick. As we all remember that was the beautiful free kick where Mathis bent the ball inside the near post for the match winner and the USA was on their way to a fabulous start in the first half of that World Cup Qualifying campaign.

But once again we have a problem when ESPN is suppose to be the top sports network to show American Soccer & our American league, never negotiated with Media World for the live English language rights. The asking price was under a million dollars and somehow ESPN and other outlets who inquired about broadcasting the match said no. THEY SAID NO?! WHAT IN THE HELL IS THEIR PROBLEM?! THE USA IS ON THE VERGE OF TAKING ONE OF THE TOP THREE SPOTS IN THE STANDINGS TO QUALIFY FOR THE WORLD CUP AND ESPN SAID NO?!

What the hell is wrong with these people? Even Mr. Skipper has to be held accountable for his mistake of not accepting this price to bring in this important road qualifier and providing us with Rob Stone, J.P. Dellacamera & John Harkes for commentary. Where the hell is Fox Soccer Channel as well? Don’t they want to pick up the ball when ESPN drops it? I guess all they care about is showing live World Cup qualifying from Europe & Asia? GOL TV? MUN2?

Where is US Soccer in all this? Where is the head of the communications department Michael Kammarman in all this? He’s too busy sitting on his lovely chair in his office looking out the window and admiring the warm day in Chicago instead of trying to bust his rear end and fight for every US Soccer fan to watch this important match live. Not only is he doing a dis-service to the American soccer community, but the American press who wants to cover this match live.

Obviously no worries if someone comes like an Univision or Telemundo will swoop in and grab the replay and put it on after Mexico plays, but what would happen if it doesn’t? Tell me right now how would you feel if there was no replay at all and you would have to beg for the bartender at El Cid (Yes it’s a made up name of a place) to tape the match and then transfer the tape to You Tube so everyone can see it either in sections or just the highlights? The moment is ruined & whose fault is that? US Soccer and the top channels showing the game to their viewers that wants to see our National Team qualify for the biggest tournament in World Football.

This is where you have to call them Euro Snobs when it comes to these channels, when they are begging for European club football, the European Cup, UEFA Champions League and refusing to grow the game in their own country. Aren’t you folks getting sick and tired of being shafted not just by the local channels but our federation who refuses to give a helping hand to get live T.V. of an important World Cup Qualifier that could be the clincher on Saturday, October 10th. This isn’t the qualifying cycle from the last World Cup where it took the seventh match against Mexico in Columbus to officially book US Soccer’s ticket to Germany.

It is getting very frustrating when something so important can’t be controlled by the necessary outlets to help us out. If it’s so freaking important to get the rights to broadcast the World Cup its self, how about the ten qualifiers to get to the World Cup. It’s not about “Oh don’t worry, the replay will be shown and everything will be fine” No that’s not the point. Either get it now or make sure you can get it done the right way. Stop messing around and take care of the situation. But unfortunately, we as diehard supporters will never win.

25 Responses to Another Debacle. No Live TV For USA Road Qualifier In Honduras

1. Derek says:

Great points Daniel, once again we see where soccer is on the USA sports radar.

2. Dennis says:

Great post Daniel! I am so fed up with the US media REFUSING to broadcast the US National Team. It truly seems like a conspiracy to prevent soccer from progressing in the US. What a buch of paranoid idiots! And I think you used the right word when you called them snobs – but the term should be more broadly applied than euro-snobs.

3. eplnfl says:

Great post. Yes, mighty strange that ESPN who is promoting the soon to be held WC which it will cover does not step in here and to a lessor extent FSC, America’s so called soccer channel.

Many of the people here knows often strange world of TV broadcasting rights better then I do but it is a strange world that many American’s overlook since somehow or someway almost every major game in American sports finds it way on tv one way or another.

You would think, and back to our cry of what has the USSF done lately for the team, the sport, and fans, the Federation would have been pro-active here knowing as they should of for a while the game may not be viewed live. On the other hand in their defense the away games are not under their control.

In short, for all the progress that is made by airing more soccer of all kinds in the US, something like this happens and you say why?

4. Kartik says:

Great post. Much like our national team on the pitch, some people are willing to accept mediocrity because “In the old days, our teams “sucked” and I couldn’t find a game on tv.” Well, with 3 DEDICATED SOCCER CHANNELS, and 1 Wannabe, I think it’s absolutely ridiculous the best we can hope for is tape delay, which I hate.

5. The Gaffer says:

More analysis of where the game may end up can be found at our sister site, World Cup Buzz, at http://www.worldcupbuzz.com/usa-wc-qualifier-not-on-tv-again/

• eplnfl says:

Chris:

A suggestion, and some people have given information in reply already, but a primer on how the TV rights are sold maybe helpful. Most people do not understand the role of the host federation in selling the TV rights. Yes, we can all say ESPN, FSC, and GolTV, and the USSF should have been more aggressive about getting the game on live, but the local federation is the key player in all of it.

6. Rob says:

What I can’t understand is how a Federation can just ignore the opposing nations wishes so they can watch the game. Its really annoying, rude, and immature. Now, before I say that, I have no idea what happens with the US Qualifiers and if they are easily available with whoever we are playing, but I would like to think so.

If I was the USSF I would be flipping out on the HFF…

7. gmonsoon43 says:

How is it announced what places will be showing the CCTV broadcasts?

8. wgoood2 says:

You guys have to realize that us soccer is not a money maker for espn. And also its college football season, why would espn pay for rights to a game thats going to be shown on espn classic.

9. ThatGuy says:

I think that assuming the USSF is doing nothing to ensure that this game is broadcast in the United States is pretty ignorant. It’s their money maker and a way to raise awareness for the team, especially with this being a possible clinching match for 2010. You need to re-evaluate your cynical position. I’m sure there are people trying to figure out a way to make this game available in the U.S. for the public.

Try to stay off the hate bandwagon and instead, come up with some constructive, educated, and researched opinions. A little thought goes a long way.

10. Rebecca Jill says:

Great article!

I can’t believe that ESPN who will host next year’s World Cup isn’t more invested in showing ALL of the U.S. World Cup qualifying matches. It doesn’t make any sense to me. If you want to market the whole product, the World Cup, it would only make sense to market the U.S. product that is on the verge of qualifying, as well.

This will be the 6th World Cup in a row the U.S. will be able to go to since 1990 after not having been in it for 40 years. To U.S. soccer fans, it’s a big deal.

11. Daniel Feuerstein says:

wgoood2: That’s not the point if the game is on ESPN’s Classic channel. All that should matter is that ESPN should have it period. We all know this side of the calendar in the States is College Football season, but that’s no excuse to not show this road qualifier live.

If there is a channel from the ESPN family of networks that has availability for two simple hours, then they should show it. Their ESPN News Channel has HD as well, they can stop the automatic re-runs for a while to show a two hour event.

Think man. Don’t say you want to grow the sport and then put a halt to it, because College Football is here.

• wgoood2 says:

I do want the sport to grow here, but we have to be realistic here. Why would espn pay a fee for a game that cant be on one of their major networks. That would mean that money form advertising would be next to nothing. ESPN is a business their main goal is to make money. ESPN news is very popular on saturdays, they recap colege football all day long. US soccer is a very minor player this time of year.

12. Mike says:

ESPN is not a charity and they don’t care about promoting soccer, they care about making money and keeping their shareholders happy. Soccer draws terrible ratings for them. Don’t be mad at ESPN or think it’s some kind of conspiracy, because it’s just a reflection on how few people care about soccer in this country. That’s the sad truth, but you don’t need ESPN to tell you that, just look at how foreign fans overwhelm US fans at supposed “home” games.

13. Brad in SoCal says:

It’s not a conspiracy, it’s just stupid and annoying. Let’s hope it gets fixed somehow before game time, preferably not in the wee hours of the morning the night before.

14. Jason says:

Goff’s article said that ESPN DID try to negotiate, and the asking price was several million. Where did you get your information from Daniel? You seem to be contradicting what Goff said in his article.

The only chance this game has on ESPN on a fall Saturday is ESPN Classic. ESPN, ESPN2, heck, ESPNU will all be showing college football from 11 AM EDT on, and with good reason. I am sure the ratings for the Vanderbilt-LSU game on ESPNU last weekend were better than almost any WCQ game would get. I just don’t get all the ESPN bashing on this deal. If its only possible for the game to be accessible on ESPN Classic, then I would assume that ESPN has a pretty tight margin on this game, and would need a fairly modest rights fee to make it work.

15. Jason says:

Daniel, your comments are childish. I want the game to grow as much as the next guy, but that doesn’t mean that soccer has to be my favorite sport or the favorite sport of any person who wants the game to “grow.” I think most of us also realize that ESPN is a business, designed to make money. We are all just assume that the Honduran federation was going to “hand” this game to an American, English-language cable outlet. Why should we feel that way? Is it our devine right?

With all the soccer that ESPN shows, I can’t imagine that they are chosing this moment to stick it to every USMNT fan.

This sounds personal more than it sounds like actual reporting.

Don’t worry, I am awaiting a bashing response much like wgood2 got. By the way, wgood2, you handled your rebuttal well.

16. Daniel Feuerstein says:

First of all I didn’t bash wgoood2. I gave him my end of the argument. Jason If you didn’t look at the link below I got it from Goff, he also had a update from the original article.

If you can’t understand the information from this link, then you are the one that’s making it personal. I am sick and tired of hoping and praying all the games will be seen on TV and then it’s not. If people want to be legit and grow this game to support our American National Team and win a World Cup then every single match has to be seen and US Soccer has to step it up as well. If they can’t help out ESPN once in a while then they have failed us as a true Soccer Federation.

Jason, just like everyone wants MLS to be like the European leagues with Pro/Rel, Single Table and all that nonsense, then these same people who are showing the game from Europe to all fans of football to the USA has to be equal to help our Nats and show those games for our National Team.

ESPN can show all the college football they want on ESPN, ESPN 2 & have their ESPN News channel discuss it all day long, but if they have a channel that is available like ESPN Classic, two hours right there and we are ready to go.

The only thing I’m going to bash you on Jason is this. You forgot to add a third “o” to wgoood2′s name.

17. "grow the game" says:

Hey Feurstein, you are a whiny little crybaby, as are most of the other little girls on this site. “Grow the game! Pay attention to us! Waaa! Waaa!” Fairies. You are all sissies.

Newsflash: Saturdays in October belong to the Fighting Irish, the Buckeyes, the Badgers, the Bruins, the Trojans, the Big House, the Horseshoe, the Big Game, the World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party, the Red River Rivalry…

Touchdown Jesus, Kick save and a beauty, the SEC, ACC, WAC, MWAC, Pac-10, Big 10, Big 12, Big Sky….

Got it? Your sport is for sissies. Little wimps playing footsy. No one cares about you losers and NO ONE EVER WILL. Quit your crying. You people here are all vaginas. Utter losers who are anti-American.

20 years from now your sport will still be irrelevant, but you queers will still be crying about “growing the game”. Absolutely pathetic.

18. Jason says:

This follow up link would have been great to attach with your original post.

I think it has been clearly established that Saturdays in the fall on ESPN belong to college football. That will no change. Even if the game grows by leaps and bounds, it would take many, many years for that to change. So ESPN Classic is the ONLY option. Why does this have to he a slam dunk
    decision for ESPN? Are you privy to the price they were offered, their production costs, and their advertising revenue potential to know they passed on a money maker? Yes, the home qualifier against El Salvador was on Classic on fall Saturday, but I am sure USSF made the price right for ESPN.

Personally, I can see why ESPN passed on this game. I consider myself a avoid soccer fan. I have been following the USMNT since 1990, watching that WC on Spanish language TV in Houston. I buy shirts. I watch every game I physically can. I surf the blogs. I download podcasts. I have season tickets to my local MLS team. Does this make me a hero? No. Does the put my in the upper 10% of committed USMNT soccer fans in this country? I don’t know but probably. And yet even I resorted to recording the El Salvador game, so that I could watch college football. I was probably, no wait, I was definitely not alone. That is why I can’t blame them for making a business decision and passing on this game.

If soccer doesn’t “grow” in thus country because of this game, you can blame me.

19. Jason says:

Sorry for all the typos in the previous post. Typing on a smart phone is not my specialty.

20. Patrick Johnson says:

Daniel,

Boy you are so wrong on this one. First off, ESPN is not a business, not a charity. If ESPN is going to take a loss on a one off, they should not purchase it.

The fact is the Honduran FA had carte blance to sell these rights, not the USSF. They sold the rights to the highest bidder, as they should have. When ESPN saw the price these rights were going to go for: knowing this was a one off they would have to put it on a channel that just lost half the households available to them (or online which would have only added a few more households), they said no. When the people who bought the rights took their offer to ESPN; knowing the same above, they rightfully said no.

Now had the USSF had a product that ESPN could possibly have generated a profit on (with a vastly better US National Team), they would have had no problem buying the game. It’s not ESPN’s job and ESPN’s job alone to do the marketing job USSF should be doing. Sure ESPN has the World Cup, but I think they are well aware of what will happen to our lovely red, white and blue there and won’t be making them the highest of highest of priorities. That will go to a nation with a legit chance of winning it.

Maybe if you used your brain instead of irrational logic, you’d get that Daniel. As the Euros showed, ESPN will invest in a quality product. Their investment now into the Premier League and La Liga show they will invest in a quality product. My friend, as much as I love the USA and hope they do well, the USMNT are not a quality product.

21. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Jason, I’m not going to blame you. That is a rediculous idea for me to sharpen my finger of blame and direct it at you. You provide with an arguement or an opinion against mine and then we can debate it here in the comments section. All I am saying is this. I understand that College Football at this time of year is very important and is a giant money maker not just for ESPN broadcasting the games, but how much money the NCAA gets to pay them.

But to those critics who keep screaming for MLS To be like the European Leagues. To have single table, to have the pro/rel and the opposition telling them it’s not going to happen here, we need a Federation that is the supervisor of the game that has to fight for the supporters that really care. Those who don’t care about the game here is going to tell me to give up the fight and support real sides in Europe or anywhere else and that I won’t do. I love the game as a whole. I’ll watch any league that’s on my T.V., but I won’t give up on my club that is Red Bull NY, my league in MLS & my National Team.

I understand the Honduran Futbol Federation can sell the rights for the live coverage to anyone they want in the states. They are making money as well, but the one thing I am sick and tired of is that US Soccer can’t contact them and ask them how much they want & then contact ESPN if they want it. If they say no, then there is FSC, GOL TV or at Univision. I can care less if the announcers speak english or spanish just as long as we see our US National Team Live and possibly clinching a spot for the 2010 World Cup.

This isn’t the Final Round of Qualifying in 2001 where you hope and pray to see the match live somewhere. It’s not even the 80′s when only Univision shows the World Cup and there is no english language coverage. We have made it and now it’s time for US Soccer to stop screwing us supporters and try to help out with the rights of watching these important road matches.

That’s all I have been asking.

22. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Actuall Gaffer, it’s really closed circuit T.V. Not the true PPV in everyone’s home. Your going to have to pay a fee at the bars. Not a real solution.