SAT, 7:45AM ET
SAT, 12PM ET
REAL3
BARCA1
SAT, 12:30PM ET
SWA2
LEI0

Should Adebayor Be Banned for Life?

Emmanuel Adebayor has committed the ultimate sin. Leaving a big four club for a side with ambition to join the elite clubs in England. For this, and his actions on the pitch in Saturday’s 4-2 City win at Eastlands, he must be banned for life from English football.  Arsenal fans deserve justice.

Never mind the chippy nature of the Arsenal players all day towards Adebayor. Never mind the taunting of the Arsenal fans. Never mind that some of the same Arsenal fans called out Tottenham supporters not long ago when Sol Campbell rightly took the money and left lowly Spurs for mighty Arsenal. After all, why would any player with ambition stay with Spurs when he could play for Arsenal?

Similarly, why should any player leave Arsenal to join a club outside the established elite in English football? Campbell did the right thing, and the Spurs fans were wrong to taunt him. But Adebayor did the wrong thing and Arsenal fans and players rightly took him task.

The FA must take swift action and ban Adebayor for life. Leaving an entitled club and joining one that hasn’t won a trophy in thirty three years is cause enough. Now Adebayor’s actions, this weekend means he should never see a football pitch again, at least in England. Perhaps Arsenal can appeal to UEFA and FIFA who like to slap around  non-entitled English clubs anyhow to have Adebayor banned for life from the sport.

For that matter, how dare one of the best supported club in England solicit and sell to wealthy owners who are determined to penetrate and disrupt the established order of English football? Like Chelsea, Manchester City must be punished for being a big club in a big city that attracted foreign investment.  Like Chelsea, who through no fault of their supporters became a hated club throughout Britain and Europe, City’s fans must now be taught the same lesson.

Obviously, my above comments and tinged with sarcasm. But the point is that some Arsenal fans are showing rampant hypocrisy in the last 36 hours with their rants on Adebayor. It’s okay for them if a player leaves a North London rival or some other “small” English club to join a side that is entitled to top four finishes every year. But if a player goes the other way, scorn, and envy tinged with anger is the result.

The lesson is clear: either stay in your perceived place in English Football or face an incredible amount of anger from opposing fans.  Chelsea went through it, and now it is City’s time to suffer the same hatred from opposing fans.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

About Kartik Krishnaiyer

View all posts by Kartik Krishnaiyer →

96 Responses to Should Adebayor Be Banned for Life?

1. leeboy says:

er, NO. the fans overreacted as badly as he did. its football, it gets emotional, deal with it. 3 to 4 match ban I reckon.
    Lee, Manchester, England

2. money says:

the writer of this article should get their facts straight before trying to cleverly use them in a sarcastic manner

• money says:

meaning: “It’s okay for them if a player leaves a North London rival or some other “small” English club to join a side that is entitled to top four finishes every year. But if a player goes the other way, scorn, and envy tinged with anger is the result.” is a false premise.

• TXGun says:

Good one Money. this author is a fcking tool!

3. Matt says:

Don’t bring Sol Campbell into this.

Completely different, if you know anything about the subject.

4. Huh says:

You have got to be havin a laugh.

I say we should hang Ade and burn his body afterwards and then piss on his ashes then feed it 2 a pig. What he did has never happened at least 8 times a season before so at the very least he needs to be banned for ever and have his feet chopped off

‘entitled club’ What the hell is that you are not real Kartik you surely are not real!!! Is this the Gaffer’s way of havin a joke? If not this man needs certifying now!!!

This was wrote after only reading the beginning of the article ya had me goin there

5. uh? says:

kartik you are a disgrace to your indian heritage

6. camdoug1 says:

that was funny, very good

7. Huh says:

You are a disgrace to you alphabetic roots yh, uh and wxyz.

8. bart says:

wow way off the mark…quite disappointing write up.

9. brn442 says:

As someone that’s visited Highbury and almost fell asleep. The most shocking thing to see was Arsenal “Fans” actually giving a sh…..

10. AJ says:

Adebayor should be worshipped thorughout England bacause he made sure we would remember the match that started Arsenal’s decent from the Top 4 and City’s Ascent into it. I don’t like him as a player really but I applaud what he did. I have to be honest, the apology was fake which made this even better. I would do the same in that situation.

ADEBAYOR FOR WORLD FOOTBALLER OF THE YEAR!

11. Joe in Indianapolis says:

This was almost a halfway funny article until you “revealed” your sarcasm. FAIL

12. Tyson says:

What a pile of smoking bs. Lets hope this author never gets to type another article this is the worse one I’ve ever seen on here. You guys don’t have to resort to trying to piss people off to get traffic you know you have enough quality on this site to keep us coming back. The whole “OMG lets write a controversial article because people will notice it” approach is not going to hold up well in the long term so quality please.

To make matters worse you have to tell everybody you were being sarcastic like we couldn’t tell from the first paragraph you were writing in what some parallel universe may have been an entertaining or funny post.

I’m hoping you don’t get to write another article on this website to be honest haven’t seen a bad one from EPLtalk in god knows how long but you ruined that.

13. jm says:

This is really quite stunning – parody requires at least some semblance of an understanding of the issue that you are parodying. Instead, Kartik has failed to satire Arsenal fans, and has instead given us nothing but a satire of the thoughtful articles I expect to find at EPL Talk.

The entire assault hinges on this claim that Arsenal fans are mad at Adebayor because (a) he left Arsenal and (b) he went to a “lowly” team (read, not Big Four). A quick survey of the major Arsenal blogs reveals that this is simply false. Indeed, a counter-example is easy to provide – the departure of Kolo Toure. Did I see Arsenal fans berating Kolo? Do I see calls for Kolo to be banned? No. In fact, I see a counter-example to everything Kartik has just written here.

If we are to understand the animosity of Arsenal fans (which spilled over into some awful chants filled with racism), we need to include an additional factor. Is it leaving to a non-big-four club? Of course not, because the same applies to Toure. So, again, the counter-example stands.

Instead, if you ask any Arsenal fan, the reasons are clear. Adebayor was loathed by Arsenal fans for three reasons: (a) his attempt to maneuver a move away from Arsenal last season ending with such clumsy stories that he never wanted to leave, (b) his poor effort throughout the entirety of last season’s campaign and (c) his recent comments about Arsenal fans. He insulted Arsenal fans quite directly just the day before the match. There was a lot of ground for animosity before this match began.

Instead, Kartik is using this article to push a point about the top four which has no evidence whatsoever. It is embarrassing. He is sitting back for some a priori speculation about the mindset of Arsenal fans while ignoring a plethora of evidence which supports an alternative conclusion. He sits idly by while Kolo Toure’s warm place in Arsenal fans hearts stands as a stunningly obvious counter-example.

While often critical of posts written here, it is always with great respect that I offer my objections. Pieces like this, with such flagrant disregard and (worse) disinterest in evidence mar everything which folks like the Gaffer have worked hard to build here.

• Max says:

I’m with jm. And I’d reckon that Kartik is quite eager, judging by the tone taken in this week’s podcast, to defend his face-stamping sky blue striker. To me, it shows a lack of objectivity on his part as a sports writer. I knew he was a Man City supporter but the fact that he hardly acknowledged the classless showing of his own player when asked to talk about the incident shows a bit too much bias for my liking.

• Jose says:

Well said jm.

• TrAnE says:

Great example of Kolo. Well said mate!

14. Bright says:

That post was just poor.

15. Cam says:

It’s typical for Arsenal to whinge and complain when things don’t go their way and I’m starting to become a little tired of the same old crap coming from Arsenal and the supporters! 3 examples from this year would be the Eduardo case, losing to United and now losing against City. Players rarely slam their own club unless a) they have been treated badly and/or b) they want more money. Adebayor seems to be intersted in the latter (as most new City players seem to be!) although from his own comments he didn’t seem like he wanted to play for them from last year.

16. Bear says:

Manchester police blame Adebayor for the crowd trouble. Official Fact.

Players should be above it all, emotions are just excuses.
    There’s a picture of Toure and Bellamy holding their arms up apologizing to the Arsenal fans. Toure is a true professional and Bellamy, a man who hit his own teammate with a golf club is more professional than Adebayor.
    Know the facts.

17. Adam says:

This is just deplorable journalism, if you can even call it that.

You paint yourself as a long suffering “real” fan because you support City, good for you. Just because your team has been relegated doesn’t mean you’re more of a fan than anyone else. Good for you, you chose to follow a team that wasn’t a big club that was constantly, people choose to follow teams for many different reasons.

I’m sure you’re not going to find many Bengals or Lions fans among NFL fans in England either simply because it’s hard to latch onto a team that isn’t in the picture when you have next to no regional or emotional ties to them.

Here you’re saying it’s wrong to not support a team that could face relegation. Why? Is it somehow less authentic to support a team that wins things? If we’re going by this imaginary rule, perhaps you should pick a new team to follow then.

Personally I was happy to see Villa break into the top four last season and hoped that they would continue that push, even if it was at the expense of Arsenal because it meant more quality sides and that means more potentially good sides each week. I’d rather see a big 6 or big 8 over a big 4 because it gives more matches more meaning and it shakes things up more than seeing the same 4 teams finish at the top again and again.

As for Adebayor, he’s a cunt. If City had played Villa at Villa Park this weekend and Richard Dunne scored a goal and pulled the same crap running over to the travelling City supporters, this article would be about how Richard Dunne is classless.

You don’t see anyone talking about Kolo in the same manner as you do Adebayor, simply because he’s not being whiny about anything. He’s left the club, moved on and that’s that. Adebayor has continually fired shots at Arsenal ever since he left and I don’t think any of this talk about him would be happening if he hadn’t spoken first.

Your team in effect won the lottery, and had the situation been different your ownership could have easily purchased a different club. Act with a little humility and class about it, we’re 5 games into a long season and a lot can happen in that time.

• Huh says:

Richard Dunne was never booed and goaded by his own fans your point on this is crap and even if he did we wouldn’t punch they’re stewards about and trash the place. Not only did the Arsenal fans boo they’re own player, the national press and every other anti city nob (because they could now pose a threat) who jumped on the band wagon and called him agreedy deceitful bastard (that’ll endear ya former club to you won’t it,) and apparently that he couldn’t give a fuck about football only money because he signed for CITY! If he had gone to AC Milan he’s not greedy anymore but just wants successes! Can not you see how hypocritical this is! How proud his family must have felt to read this verbal diarrhoea and how that would make a man feel. What the hell is wrong with people on here, THERE ARE ALWAYS TWO SIDES TO A STORY IGNORING 1 IS ONLY EVER WRONG!

I wonder if the Monaco fans and French media called him a greedy fucker after he moved to the big money at Arsenal ,after all he was very unlikely to win anything there (lot more chance at Monaco).

Nugget, THE TOP 4 SIDES WIN THE ONLY LOTTERY YEAR AFTER YEAR WHEN THEY TAKE ALL THE MONEY THE OTHERS CAN’T, PUTTING THEM FURTHER APART EVERY YEAR THEY DON’T PAY THE MONEY TO 6 OR 8 surely you can see this you buffoon! You are the kind of person that keeps the EPL shit in one respect, you will never again see Everton, Nott’s Forest, Aston Villa, Preston North End and many others win the league again, or a Wimbledon Win the Cup It doesn’t matter if you live in Preston and your family supported them all their lives fuck that! Support one of the top teams because they are the only one who will win anything!!!! THESE KINDS OF FANS ARE PARISITES TO THE GAME glory hunting bastards just so they can say we won, we’re the best.

Villa did not get into the top 4 you raving idiot. I’m afraid you are the only CUNT with NO CLASS here.

• Adam says:

I used Richard Dunne as an example, you can’t tell me with a straight face that you wouldn’t be pissed if one of your former players did the exact same thing.

“and apparently that he couldn’t give a fuck about football only money because he signed for CITY! If he had gone to AC Milan ”

Partially yes, because City have yet to win any trophies, AC Milan have won hundreds of trophies. Yes I realize City are trying to build a team to win trophies, but you really can’t say that it’s not about the money at all for guys at City when players were being given huge contracts to come to City. Not that I really have a problem with that, I’d leave my job in a second for a new startup if they were promising to pay me a lot more than I currently got, but if you think players went to City soley based upon a chance to win trophies you’re naieve.

if Adebayor had went to AC Milan this season and pulled this same shit against Arsenal, I would have been as pissed if he pulled the same stunt, probably more so because he’d be at an even bigger club acting like a cunt.

Yes I realize that every big 4 team gets more and more each season, effectively winning the lottery and the gulf grows bigger each year, and your squad won the mega billions this past season, yet you try and deflect that comment with some raving comment about how none of the small clubs are ever going to win a trophy again. Well guess what, your team is part of that reason! You’re now a supporter of a massive club and when you win your first trophy it’s not going to be because you’re a small team that won with guts and guile, no its because you’re a big team that won with money.

I’m well aware that Villa didn’t get into the top 4 last season, and I realize my comment could be read like they did, but you can obviously also tell what I meant from that statement.

• Huh says:

1,Many of our former players have over celebrated a goal or victory even show the v’s that’s simply life you just get on with not go ballistic!!!! And attack people!!! and trash the ground!!!

2, Why did Rosiscy sign for Arsenal? because he was getting more, hmmm what to add here sunshine in London? Maybe he always love the when growing up? or indeed Ashavin who was prostituting himself all over Europe and threatening to go on strike if not allowed to leave, Hmmm I wonder why he wanted to move. So surely you see that the top players always go where the money is same as your lot. You getting the point here or do I have to go on?
          If you are a player money is the main reason for moving it’s their job nothing more, those days are long gone! Especially when you are shown rivers of gold, Palaces and untold wealth and the people showing u this tell u that they mean to make ur new club the biggest and the best with endless resources to back this up. What would u do? surely u would believe them? Oh and don’t worry about Ade’s trophies they on the way in the next few years!! and I’ll guarantee he’ll win more with City than he would of with Arsenal because next year your lot will be booing fabrgass for flirting with Barca and bye bye to him as well. Then who will be next? and I will make no bones about the fact my club won because of money just like Arsenal, Chelsea, United and Liverpool! Its a shame most of these fans are not so graceful!!!

3, My team is not part of that reason my team is Manchester City and will surpass its owners and me! They will still be there when all these greedy little club owners and scum bags like Platini and Blatter have no more troughs to put there disgusting little snouts in!! I do not care if I’m watching Barry Conlan in the third tier of English football or the best money can buy in the Champions League! As long as I’m Watching City

4, I hope for the collapse of football Leagues all over the world with there greedy monopolies because the teams will survive no problem. Money has not made the game it has totally ruined it, and yes in your life time you will not see the EPL won by teams outside the top whatever (where the big money is) only if football collapses and every team is on an level playing field! will you see this once again. I live in hope

6, If you are well aware that Villa didn’t finish in the to 4 why do you write ‘Personally I was happy to see Villa break into the top four last season’ when the didn’t, strange one that.

18. SS says:

Adebayor should be banned, not so much for his celebrations but for this: http://i27.tinypic.com/1ruomd.gif

• Huh says:

Why have you purposely removed RVP’s illegal to footed leg breaking tackle from the video? If any body wishes to see an unbiased video watch it on you tube see how poor little RVP grabs Ade’s arm to hold him steady while he swings all his weight on his studs showing two footed challange to snap his ankle that ade manages to lift out of the way at the very last second. Oh and here’s just how RVP go’s about his business! the idiotic Arsenal fans may have chose to forget some of his other nasty tackles! I’ll just remind them.

Now thats how to kick someone in the face properly!

Or how about his assault on the stoke goal keeper last year!

People in glass houses eh?

Oh you can also see Henry trying to break a Everton player’s leg or Gallas kicking out at Nani or even Aboue’s great tackle on Gio of barca! The list is endless, oh by the way most of these crazy tackles only received a yellow card I wonder if the Arsenal fans were screaming for them to be banned afterwards? Being the fair chaps they obviously are?

You can also see Henry running the entire length of the pitch to celebrate in front of the spurs fans in an FA cup match or Gallas goading them after he scored a penalty in another, But this was all only in fun and games after all it’s only cheeky little Arsenal its fine, and guess what was done? Did the spurs fans riot?

• thickarsenalfan says:

I wonder if Van Persie posted a statement on the Arsenal website about how unprofessional these two players he knocked into totally by accident were? they needed to be sent of for diving. I mean look at Eduardo he got a two match ban for nothing! even after the event! Wenger said it right when asked about these dives by other players against Van Persie, 5 weeks later he said “I didn’t see these incidents yet, but my players are good boys and wouldn’t harm a fly. I’ll have to look a the replay somtime in the next millennium”

• Huh says:

Turns out he didn’t get a ban after all thickarsenalfan, it seems that The Arsenal told UEFA to fX+k off or they’ll sue the shit out of them. Nice can’t stand Uefa

• TrAnE says:

@Huh
            I wonder … if you had been speaking like this…all over, if City lost and the incidents happened as they were. You would jumped onto City forums and thrown abuse on Abebayour for celebrating the way he did, when City might be losing. I wish that incident should have happened to show all the people in the world, what a cunt Bloodybayour is!

• Huh says:

I can’ t make head nor tail out of what ur saying? (I don’t understand, ur making no sense to me sorry)

19. Tim says:

As an American Arsenal supporter, I’ll be calling for all North American Arsenal supporters (and supporters of other clubs) to unsubscribe from EPL Talk for choosing to post an article which openly denigrates our support.

Bad move Gaffer.

• Huh says:

And I’ll take my ball home as well as spit my dummy out how dare you try to put sides to the argument forward. Grow up.

• Tim says:

I have no problem with the amateurish journalism in the article, if the Gaffer wants to print articles in which the author throws all the toys out of the pram, that’s his call. I am simply tired of xenophobia disguised as “support” that is on display when the author calls American supporters, specifically, plastic fans.

That type of stuff has no place in the global football community.

• The Gaffer says:

Tim,

1) The article was sarcasm. 2) Throughout the entire season, you’ll see a ton of articles here that are in support of Arsenal, and a ton that are criticizing the team. 3) I didn’t choose to post the article, but the writers of EPL Talk have full creative license to post articles on topics that they’re interested in. There’s no censorship from me. 4) Sometimes you’ll agree with the articles. Sometimes you won’t.

One more thing. EPL Talk has been a big supporter of Arsenal America, the official supporters club in the United States.

• SLO-Gunner says:

This is indeed true. He did some interviews at the Arsenal Tavern if I recall correctly.

• jm says:

TheGaffer,

It is laudable for you to defend your writers (while “full creative license” does not entail no editorial standards, those are private matters from your perspective).

Nevertheless, “it was sarcasm” is no defense for this article. The sarcasm is only meaningful if it mocks something real – but Kartik is mocking an attitude which does not exist. Thus, all it serves to do is implicate that Arsenal supporters dislike Adebayor for these reasons. As any linguistic analysis of sarcasm will show, it is used to communicate a serious point. Kartik’s sarcasm here extends on what he takes to be the attitude of Arsenal supporters to an outrageous point (sarcasm via reductio ad absurdum) so as to show the absurdity of that attitude.

The problem is not that he misidentified the attitude. That would call for a simple, straightforward criticism. The problem is that the author shows no interest or willingness to consult actual evidence on the matter. If there is any standard for responsible intellectual conduct, it is that one must consult and respect the evidence (either cite it or explain it away). The sarcasm merely serves to exacerbate this unfortunate attitude, since it adds a mocking tone to a poor argument. This attitude may be acceptable when the underlying point has at least some support behind it, but without even an interest in providing that support, the attitude is particularly insulting.

• Tim says:

“Never mind that City supporters like myself have faced countless relegation and promotion battles through the years and generally have a deeper attachment to our club than many of the international (ie. North American) contingent that choose to support Arsenal simply because they were winning and because they had Dennis Bergkamp, or perhaps dare I say, Sol Campbell. Today, I find myself constantly having to defend my support of City to fans that have never experienced relegation and would never support a side that could perhaps be relegated. To me that is just plain wrong.”

This passage is not sarcasm and is simply a xenophobic attack on the Americans who read your blog regardless the team they support.

20. Huh says:

Dummy = pacifier

• Tim says:

Pram = baby carriage

• Huh says:

No it pram in England to!

Tim

The writer is putting his opinion which surely he’s allowed to do. There are other writers on here with separate and opposite opinions but the key is they’re ONLY OPINIONS you agree with your own he agrees with his so an so fourth. No point in getting pissed with it, that’s just the way it is. How boring would it be if everyone had the same viewpoint, the site would be made redundent! People will take from your opinions and you should take from theirs.

• Huh says:

Oh the plastic fan thing or whatever you mentioned this cannot really count for people outside the UK because you don’t have a local side. Therefore u have a choice (bit like me saying I’m a Redskins fan its my choice even though I’ve never even been near Washington) , this only counts for tossers who say for instance a Utd fan from Bristol when he should be helping his local side in their struggle for survival, he takes the easy route and supports a club the other side of the country so he can say “I’m a winner” when the reality is he’s wanker who is helping destroy football from the bottom up! not to mention his home side he should be putting his pennies into.

• Tim says:

uhhh, I know, I was throwing it back in your face that you felt you needed to define dummie for me.

Are you really this thick?

Thick = stupid.

• Huh says:

Most Americans don’t know what a dummy is and as they may get it confused with you I though better safe than sorry. Awfully nice but dim tim, hmm suits you sir. Your not related to Tyson by any chance are u?

• ovalball says:

Thank you, Huh. Didn’t know that one and I appreciate all such elucidation. How else can we follow you guys?

Now “Wanker” I understand and particularly enjoy using it on my friends. They’re not quite sure what I’ve called them, but are pretty certain it isn’t anything good. Sweet.

• Huh says:

I didn’t now what a pacifier was till the film!! and when this subject came up one time when an American friend was asked to pass my wife the dummy he didn’t know what she was talking about!

21. iib says:

…How can such an article find a publishing platform at EPLTalk? Once in a while, unfortunately, this site posts articles of no journalistic quality, that use sarcasm as a means to either liberate the writer’s anger or be humorous. However, sarcasm works when you get both your premise and facts straight. When you don’t (which is clearly the case here) you look foolish – and EPLTalk loses more of its hard-earned credibility.

22. Gaz says:

Here’s my disclosure: I don’t give a damn if Arsenal or City are in the top four. In fact, I don’t really care if both of them are.

I’d have to agree with some of the comments. This was a poor article that loses the point. This has nothing to do with who or who is not a top four club. It has to do with professionalism.

Arsenal fans are upset because Adebayor is a dick. Not because he left them for another club. If he were able to be the professional that he is supposed to be this would be a non-issue.

The tackle to Van Persie’s face was ridiculous… however, that kind of thing happens sometimes. Especially considering Van Persie’s tackle was hard too… nothing like a kick to the face but still hard. :)

This IS about Adebayor being unprofessional and just plain douchey. All the taunting and whatnot (see jm’s comments above) topped off by him running the ENTIRE LENGTH OF THE FIELD in order to be a dick.

Think 5 years on from now when he leaves City for… let’s say Fulham. He has been a player that has been part of your club for 5 years and you’ve celebrated and cheered him on all along the way. Then when you play Fulham he scores a goal and runs the entire length of the field in order to taunt you. Are you upset because he left you for a lower club? No. Are you upset because he’s classless? Yes. I wouldn’t agree with that either.

Surely some sort of repercussion should occur for the unprofessionalism.

• Rebecca Jill says:

I completely agree this post.

• Rebecca Jill says:

And I’ve been a fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers for live forever, so with 14 years of losing seasons we had, I fully understand how to fully follow a team, winning or losing. Granted, the NFL doesn’t have relegation, but some of those seasons, we certainly deserved to be relegated.

So, I’m sorry I didn’t choose an EPL team when I studied in England in college in the fall of 1994, when I learned who a lot of the teams were. I had known of some but all of them. I just enjoyed watching and didn’t get attached to any one team. So, I knew who Arsenal were. I can’t help that Nick Hornby is an Arsenal fan, and wrote about it in “Fever Pitch.” I read it post-college, and his enthusiasm for the team just got me attached to Arsenal. I’m sorry they were winning at the time I became a fan, because of the book and not them winning, and have been successful with winning seasons and top 4 finishes ever since.

I’m sorry I read Hornby’s book before I saw the movie “Goal” and fell in love with the landscape and city of Newcastle and St. James Park and the enthusiasm for their team, which would have probably made me a Newcastle fan if I wasn’t already an Arsenal fan. I would be experiencing the “my team was relegated” feeling this season. Would I then be a more “legitimate” fan?

I guess I wrote this just to illustrate that we’re the fans of the teams we’re fans of for all different reasons, and we all became fans of the teams we root for under different circumstances and experiences.

I’m a Tampa Bay Bucs fan, because I’m from Tampa and my parents have been season ticket holders since day one in 1976, when I was two. I’m an Arsenal fan, because I happen to love the game of soccer, didn’t have an EPL team I cheered for, read Nick Hornby’s book “Fever Pitch,” which happens to be about his love for Arsenal and got taken in.

I can only speak for me, but if Arsenal were to fall out of the top four or happen to be relegated whenever, I’d still be a fan.

• DaveMo says:

Nice comment. I read High Fidelity and saw a lot of myself in it, and so went out of my way to buy and read more N. Hornby. But the Arsenal in Fever Pitch has no resemblance to the Arsenal you found when you started to support them. Hornby’s tale is about how twisted and unsatisfying it was to support a side that scores few goals and kills off games. Wenger’s Arsenal is a beauty to behold – a bit on the unrealistic side, the way they don’t expect to get pushed off the ball – but when they’re permitted to play their way, it’s a beautiful game. If Hornby had written about THAT, I might be an Arsenal fan. I chose United, and KK hates me and all my ilk for it, but he’s a prat.

• Rebecca Jill says:

I fully realize the Arsenal Hornby wrote about, and the Arsenal that existed when I read the book are different. I am often amused about the differences.

I related to him as a fan in the book due to growing up a Tampa Bay Buccaneers fan, and the frustrations entailed with that. By the time I read the book, not only was Arsenal different, but the Buccaneers had also made it back to the NFL playoffs, had different uniforms and had transformed to something different, as well, in the late 90s.

• Huh says:

I agree with your point that Ade is a bit of a dick without doubt there is something about him, but then again I don’t know him and am making judgement based on listening to a few hundred words or so.

He was there since 2006 not 5 yrs (3yrs) and you would have had to of boo him for a third of his time there rather than cheer and celebrate with him along the way, as you say! but for him to do to us what he did in his celebration to the Arsenal fans (which by the way actually happens a lot to some degree, a lot of players who left their old club with bad feelings love to stick it back to them) We would need to hate him as well as him us but what ever kind of person you may think he is if I was is his position after being called rotten by fans, lets not forget the racist chants regarding his Mother and Father in the game as well as the rough treatment from his old team mates and the whole British media (don’t forget this man is a hero to his family and people both) who have been constantly calling him a greedy money grabber in the headlines (as well as Tevez) because they didn‘t sign for another so called ‘big‘ team, I would have put my professionalism away and dance a jig in front of these moronic fans, he is human not stone! This unprofessionalism has happened may times before and will many time again until we make robots able to play football. Returning players and players in derby games (where will it stop?) will have to be very careful how they celebrate if they score because if the fans decide they didn’t like it they could always start a mini riot a get the player banned with no consequences to themselves. Nice

23. The Great Attila says:

Uhh, no!

Adebayor may have decided to mock the Arsenal fans that were there, but the fans should not have tried to look like they wanted to lynch the guy. He probably did it to denigrate them and to have people talking about him the next day. This action by Adebayor seems more like a show to me rather than genuine mocking.

• Gaz says:

You’re right. Those fans were idiots. Throwing crap is just plain stupid and I heard there were racist comments too.

This shouldn’t, however, take us away from the focus on the article: Adebayor.

As far as your comments on his reasons regarding it. It doesn’t matter WHY he did it! If it was for a show or genuine mocking – both are unprofessional and shouldn’t be tolerated.

Again, will you defend Dunn if he scores against you and runs the ENTIRE length of the field to put on a “show”?

• Huh says:

He wouldn’t, there is only good feeling between this player and the fans, but on the other hand I think Spurs will buy Petrov (great player and will be sorry to see him go) in Jan and if he scores against City will fly over to or manager going nuts and fair play if he does!

• TrAnE says:

Tell me one thing Attila, is it easier to control one person’s emotions or a thousand’s? Not that a person’s emotions should be controlled by others.

Blaming it on Arsenal fans was plain stupid.

24. David says:

I think so many of you commenting are such babies about this that it’s hilarious. You’re as bad as the low-grade “fans” that throw things at a player. He deserved it you say? Fine, but him celebrating in front of you like that is not worse than you throwing things at him. It’s great too, because throughout the match you goat him, and while he’s the professional, he cares so much and it’s that important for him.

It’s funny, the same players many of you defend (Van Persie, Eduardo, Fabregas etc) will do you the same that Adebayor has done, and leave the club that would rather sell away its talent that it creates, than keep it happy and win something again. How will you treat them then?

• Gaz says:

I don’t think anyone ever defended the idiots that threw things.

You hit it right on the nail, though. He IS the professional and he does have to do himself and his club proud.

If any of the other Arsenal players leave, I doubt they would be as unprofessional when faced with a match against their former team. If they were, I (as a non-Arsenal fan, by the way) would feel the same way about them.

By the way, what if Dunn scores and runs the entire length of the field to taunt City fans? Will you defend him?

• TrAnE says:

Why are you so obsessed with Dunn scoring?

• Gaz says:

It just makes a good argument. People are not upset about Adebayor moving to a new team (like Dunn did). They are upset about how he unprofessional he was (like the Dunn example – that would never happen, by the way, I keep bringing up).

25. Tony H says:

While this article may be a failed attempt at humor, Arsenal fans to this point replying seem to have avoided the key subject at hand.

As a Spurs fan, I am delighted by this piece. For so many Gunners it was perfectly fine for Sol Campbell to jump ship from the club that brought him through Academy and into the England squad because he was going to what was considered a bigger club.

Spurs fans were mocked, called yids and all sorts of things worse that should not be repeated in a public forum. We’re told Campbell had ambition to be the best even though he blatantly LIED to us.

Now when the shoe is on the other foot, we see the Gunners acting like spoiled brats who are the only ones entitled to play. Arsenal fans are the worst breed of football supporter. They are self righteous to a fault and if you point out some of their hypocrisy, they flip out.

Job well done to this author for pointing out the obvious hypocrisy of the Arsenal fans.

26. K Desan says:

Amazing the short sightedness of Arsenal fans.

It is okay to throw things on the pitch, shout racist slogans and obscenities, because a player left your club. But it is not okay when they come to your club and get the same treatment from opposing fans.

I actually liked this article. It is classic satire. Arsenal fans in particular have been on bad behavior with Chelsea, out of spite and jealously and now exhibit the same with City. After all they are Arsenal. They are pre-ordained to be champions. Never mind the fact they have not won anything in FOUR SEASONS.

Arsenal is a big club and Chelsea is a small one. Or so goes the Gunner mantra……

• jm says:

I’ve lodged my objections to the satire in other posts (it’s wanton disregard for the evidence), but I do think one clarification is in order.

Other than a minority, most Arsenal fans are not justifying throwing things, shouting racist chants, or rushing the pitch. These are clearly wrong behaviors, and those who engaged in them bear responsibility for their actions. Adebayor also bears responsibility as well. It’s not an either/or type thing, it is a matter of joint responsibility.

The point is that the dislike of Adebayor is based on far more than his move to a supposed “lesser” club. Nobody was treating Kolo Toure in the same way. If the Sol Campbell analogy holds for Adebayor, then why not for Toure? It is because of peculiarities and differences with Adebayor’s situation.

• TrAnE says:

STOP JUDGING Arsenal fans based on what you have seen. They are just a few of them who went to watch the match and couldn’t control their anger.

If a Liverpool fan went to jail, could I call all Pool fans as Criminals? You are rubbish and why do you care if Arsenal did not win any trophies in 4 years? Are you one of those so called “plastic” fans?

27. K Desan says:

I should also mention EPL Talk is a commentary site. When the commentary favors Arsenal and Liverpool we see favorable reviews, but when it is sarcastic or honest or advocates a point of view outside the top four, look out. The natives become restless.

• Gaz says:

I think we all have some sort of bias towards a particular club (guilty here… though it is definitely not up-the-Arse) but I’m not sure that there are many of us that are bias towards the entire top four.

That just doesn’t make sense.

28. randomsausage says:

All the Goonering invective on Adebayor (a first class tool, it has to be said) is just distracting from the fact they got their asses whipped. They were playing way too high up the field after they went 2-1 down……was ugly to see ManC break so quickly and effectively.

Back to defending basics on the training field this week chaps.

29. David says:

Good point Desan. I suppose the big four bandwagon has plenty of room and supporters to throw around their weight when someone objects “their” loving club.

30. Spurs Support says:

It’s about f#$$#!@ time someone held the Gunner fans feet to the fire over Sol Campbell!

Hypocrites and liars = Gunners

Enjoy the Europa League next year, punks!

• Cam says:

GOLD!!!

What happened on the weekend was disgusting, both from Adebayor and the Arsenal Fans. What kind of precedent are we setting for our kids who see this kind of stupidity happen??? Those specific Arsenal fans who were racially abusive, throwing missiles onto the ground and eventually hurting a steward who was only trying to do his job, need to have their heads examined! Adebayor needs to be reprimanded for his stomping antics but as for his celebration, it only got out of hand once the classless and scum-like Arsenal supporters got involved.

31. John M says:

I actually found this piece hilarious!

Good job at finding a funny way to point out what sore losers the Scientology adherents are!

(Old Cohen/WSD joke)

32. Adebayor says:

why should adebayor be ban, for leaving a team how come nobody is saying nothing about kolo toure he left to.

33. Victor says:

What are we talking about here?
    This is all about racism.
    Where were you guys when the fans were saying rubbish and booing Adebayor?
    What did the FA do?
    Van Persie tackle is equally bad. Watch the replay.

34. ange says:

this decision about adebayor is just exagerated he shouldn’t be banned from the english premier league do you even know what it’s like to be booed after you did a lot of things for a club i guess no so shut up

35. Evan says:

love the article!

36. anton says:

i liked city. until the current batch of arrogance. it’s not the team, it’s the blantant arrogance.

37. Arsenal14 says:

Ade did nothing wrong with the celebration! We had stupid fans and stupid human beings chanting raciest comments at him..ontop of that we booed him time after time last year to the point where he just didnt want to try anymore and he showed the Stupider Arsenal fans what he can do when he is shown love.We dont boo Cesc everyweek when he openly courts a move to Spain do we ? no..Ade never said anything about wanting to leave when he was with us,he just kept quiet so he could get more money which at the time he deserved..was he the best player on our team? no ..did he deserve more money after the 30 goal season compared to what other players were getting? yes….give me a break, he stuck it to some of our fans and they deserved it. TO THE SPURS MORONS..Have fun trying to qualify for the Europa League for the next 25 seasons and have fun trying to win the only trophy you’ll ever win ..THE CARLING CUP..you know the 1 WE PLAY OUR KIDS IN.

• Huh says:

An Arsenal fan who thinks about what actually happened instead of just repeating their mantra. Ya bang on the money 14, Hallelujah! Arsenal lost a superb player who didn’t want to leave but was forced out by fans. I have a feeling that more will follow because most the fans don’t see it like u.

38. IanWright says:

Football as a game, don’t need players like Adebayor. He only thinks about himself, what he can gain and what he can get away with. Running the full length of the pitch, to celebrate in front of away fans was going out-of-his-way, making an effort to incite a response. If say Ronaldo played against ManU(away) and did the same kind of celebration infront them, i think you would see the same kind of response. The man has no intelligence or morals. He deserves eveything he gets.

• Huh says:

The game doesn’t need nasty little buggers like RVP either, who ran over to the City fans when he scored his own goal when his fans were 10ft the other way and went off the field of play in the opposite direction to his fans screaming towards City fans screaming fxxk you, fxxk you, fxxk you. Lucky the fans were not as bigger wankers as those Arsenal fans eh, other wise this little punk would be looking at a ban himself!!! With his little unprofessional post on his teams website, and this after going in to injure an opposition player gets it himself and runs to the headmaster crying. HE’S A LITTLE WEASEL!!!

39. Alek Safarian says:

Arsenal fans don’t hate Adebayor because he left to go to City. We couldn’t stand the guy and were happy to see the back of him. He can’t help himself, he just happens to be an ungrateful, arrogant, two faced, self-important, money grabbing idiot. And as I’m sure you’ll find out, he’s frustratingly inconsistent. He’s simply nowhere near as good as he thinks he is, or the last 4 weeks might’ve implied he is. Tevez or Robinho are head and shoulders above Ade. But above all, his antics on Saturday deserve a lengthy ban. No amount of insincere idiotic apology will make up for it. Who does Hughes think he’s kidding with his defence (“he apologised”) … as if that makes it alright. Used to think Sparky was smart, not when he tries to defend the indefensible.

• Huh says:

Your only happy to see the back of him after you booed him continually after he signed a 5 yr contract and pledged allegiance. Then he chucked his toys out the pram, but before he did this he was the best thing since sliced bread! Of this as he himself said “If Porto, for example, wants Adebayor it is not Adebayor’s fault. Why boo me?” but the morons continue, all he ever said was “something special” on the interest from AC look at what Ronaldo Said for yrs regarding Madrid or what Robinho has said about Barca or Lampard with AC these clubs fans didn’t boo and jeer them because they have the sense to know that the press will take things out of perspective and that there can be certain problems under standing someone not fully fluent in English also that its quite flattering for a huge club to want you as this obviously means you are at the top of your game, and all this after he signed a new contract what a dumb bunch of idiots. You lost a top class player because your prawn sandwich fans don’t understand the modern footballer and are clearly after Saturday’s riots and racism part Neanderthal. Ur loss our gain!!!

40. Ben says:

Try not to think about Alice Childress

41. TrAnE says:

I am an Indian and I am absolutely ashamed of what this guy wrote here. Most people from around here think they know better by watching the the games on TV. They do not know what’s going on behind the scenes. And the panelists are absolutely disgraceful. The people believe whatever they say. But, if you are an Arsenal supporter or any person who really follows EPL, you will know the magnitude of the act performed by Adebayour.

• Huh says:

Your uh aren’t you, what has him being Indian got to do with anything? doe’s the fact that he may be Indian mean that he must follow Arsenal and because he doesn’t agree with you means he’s a ‘disgrace to his heratge’? Because if you are uh you are the only disgrace here!

42. Dangerous_Dave says:

“The FA must take swift action and ban Adebayor for life. Leaving an entitled club and joining one that hasn’t won a trophy in thirty three years is cause enough. Now Adebayor’s actions, this weekend means he should never see a football pitch again, at least in England.”

Er .. What?

Why on earth should would or could FIFA/UEFA ban a player for legally leaving one club for another club? This is the stupidest thing I’ve ever read.

43. McLovin says:

I am a huge Man City fan and I say big ups for getting Adebayor…if Liverpool keeps playin the way they have Torres is next…go City!!! The racism in soccer is getting out of hand I think they need to institute some rule to get it out, don’t know what but something.