THURS, 1PM ET
VIL
MON
THURS, 3PM ET
CEL
SAL

You Want A Better Coach Then Bob Bradley For The Nats? Here Is My Choice

capt.photo 1252606625964 1 0 You Want A Better Coach Then Bob Bradley For The Nats? Here Is My Choice

Yes the USA is very close to qualifying for the 2010 World Cup for next summer and this coming October there will be two more matches remaining for the Nats when they visit Honduras on the 10th & home against Costa Rica on the 14th. Once the official word comes from FIFA that our boys have qualified for South Africa then we can watch the World Cup Draw this coming December 4th. Bob Bradley will be leading the boys whether most of us care or not.

If everyone listened to the latest podcast hosted by Kartik Krishnaiyer, once again a healthy discussion about the game here in the United States and how can the people inside soccer house have a real brain in hiring the right coach to lead our players to a better performance on the field. Well I can tell all of you who are demanding a better coach from Europe and of course are going to tell me that it should be Wenger, Sir Alex, Benitez, Mourinho, Hiddink and so on that they are from the top clubs or a top European side won’t be coming here. After the debacle of trying to sign Jurgen Klinsmann to lead our players by Sunil Gulati I can guarantee you they won’t be coming over here since all US Soccer does care about is the power.

While most of you are still screaming for Bradley getting axed and can’t give me a name outside of the fantasy realm to lead our National Team, I have found someone who has had some success in Europe and some success in CONCACAF. Yes he is Dutch and he just recently was let go by the Polish FA, but I believe he can help turn the fortunes of US Soccer around for the future. He is the former head coach of Real Madrid, Ajax & Feyenoord Leo Beenhakker.

This man that led a Trinidad & Tobago side into the last World Cup after going thru a goal aggregate playoff against Bahrain and winning it to advance. They were drawn into group B playing against Sweden, were down a man when Avery John was shown a second yellow card for red in the 46th minute and earned a scoreless draw. They held off England scoreless till an 83rd minute goal by Peter Crouch & sadly an own goal in the 25th minute allowing Paraguay to have a lead and the win but both sides were already eliminated during group play.

But here is my other belief that Beenhakker is a strong candidate to replace Bradley as the head coach, he actually praised Major League Soccer as a strong league. While coaching the Polish National Team he told one of his players to come to MLS and try to get fit. This man also knows the in’s & out’s of CONCACAF as he has seen plenty of matches for the Soca Warriors both in the 2005 Gold Cup tournament and the remaining World Cup Qualifiers they had to perform in.

Right away I can name you his assistant coach that can help him out with training, scouting & other issues that will plague Beenhakker as he gets use to his new surroundings. Current US U-20 National Team coach Thomas Rongen who has plenty of experience in MLS as the head coach of the former Tampa Bay Mutiny, DC United & a short stint with Chivas-USA. Before he got into coaching Rongen was a former Ajax player and then came over to the USA in 1979. He played with clubs in the NASL like the Washington Diplomats, Los Angeles Aztecs & Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. Rongen can still keep his U-20 coaching job and help the youth players advance towards the senior side with Beenhakker’s formations & tactics.

The main question if Beenhakker does decide to take the job and if US Soccer doesn’t botch it up is the length of stay for the Dutchman. I honestly believe a cycle for him is not enough to get his message across. The brass at US Soccer must give him two cycles to make sure that our boys are prepared and ready to fight on the field. At the same time he has to be the man in charge to tell a player that is looking lazy on the field or in training that he has no time for their shenanigans. While I don’t mind Bradley defending some of his players from the press for a bad match, sometimes he hasn’t put his foot down hard enough.

This in my view is the man to take over the Bob Bradley era after the 2010 World Cup. If some of you good folks have a better man to take over the job then go ahead and list them, but let’s not bring up the ones that everyone dreams about, because those men are to high for US Soccer to reach and will never leave their cushy jobs to come here.

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Uncategorized, US National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

28 Responses to You Want A Better Coach Then Bob Bradley For The Nats? Here Is My Choice

1. Shawn Hill says:

Shawn Hill from Longview, Texas thinks Coach Bob Bradley is doing great things for the U.S. Men’s National Soccer Team. I do think he should give Jose Francisco Torres some more playing time. I’ve played with this kid and he’s got the skill set and talent to make an impact in the central midfield. Congratulations to Jose Torres from Longview,TX for making his dream of becomming a professional soccer player and member of the U.S. Men’s Nationl Soccer Team come true!

2. Bad First Touch says:

Read two sentences. They didn’t make sense. Stopped reading. Is English your first language? I cry for the state of the American educational system, and wonder who decided to let you spew your imbecile-level nonsense here.

3. gmonsoon43 says:

Great post. It is great to see an actual argument made with points that are thought through. I am not the biggest fan of Bradley and rate him as an average coach, but I am sick of the argument “Bradley sucks hire a European” without people actually flushing out points about potential candidates. And can everyone stop with the Klinsmann thing, he isn’t that good of a coach(he may be in the future but hes still pretty young). He couldn’t make it to the WC finals at home with Germany and prior to the WC he was almost fired during. And it has come out since that Loew was more the key to their success. And then his stint at Bayern was disastrous.

4. Hal says:

We know that Bradley is locked in for WC2010. But just look across the Atlantic and see what a difference Fabio Capello has made for England. Not just in the results, especially considering the group they’re in, but in the discipline and attitude that Capello has instilled in those players, who under Sven and Steve had not enough of the former and too much of the latter.

Within 18 months, Capello has totally turned them around. I think the right manager can do a similar job with the US that Bradley cannot.

5. alex says:

sounds like a good candidate to me. i remember t & t’s inspiring performance in the last world cup and was rooting for them. plus i love the dutch approach to the game. in the meantime, october’s gonna be an interesting month

6. Good one Daniel! Beenhaker is a tactical maestro. Poland breezed thru Euro qualifying and his work with T&T alone (compared with pre and post form from the Soca Warriors) justifies his hiring.

Of course, we’re not hiring a non American coach so the point is moot. I think, truthfully, their is at least an even money chance Bradley is the coach through 2014. Their is no one else on the horizon (don’t say Dom Kinnear or Sigi Schmid, because both wouldn’t fit the culture at US Soccer) who can do the job as required currently by US Soccer’s masters and meet the criteria or being American and understanding the American player.

Of course today’s American player is less motivated, more lazy and more selfish than ten years ago as Bradley has sadly found out.

• timmyg says:

Kartik, the thought of Bradley through 2014 gave me a momentary heart attack.

There’s no way we’ll get seeded, so we’re def going to get a top ranked, seeded European and African nation (the latter of which we’ve never beaten in WC). The third team is a crap-shoot.

So will US Soccer not pull the plug after three losses and one goal?

7. Brian-Indy says:

Great article and I completely agree, he would be a good choice for the US! What I am really wondering though is why people think its necessary to post what they think about your writing style. The guy above is an idiot…

8. Vnice says:

Bad First Touch: Read your comment. Didn’t make sense. Stopped reading.

Hehe.

But seriously…don’t call people out when your own grammar is so pitiful that you don’t even use complete sentences.

9. francesco says:

Daniel despite being a Red Bull Supporter you penned a great article (you’ll forgive me for despising your side given that my beloved RSL has NEVER beat them). I keep hearing Jamie Trecker talk about how bad the USSF/USMNT is but never does he suggest who or what would be necessary to improve our national side. Obviously the Hiddinks and Mourinhos of the world are out of the question. I even wonder if someone like Steve Nichol could do a job for the USMNT. Hopefully we’ll see a Beenhakker or someone of his like sometime soon, but certainly not before WC 2010 and if Bradley gets us out of the group he could very well maintain the reins until 2014.

10. soccer goals says:

Good points. He did a great job for T&T.

11. Andy says:

Thanks for actually suggesting a solution to the coaching dilemma. I think a Dutch youth and national team managing combo without too many attachments and biases towards any players would be a great idea. Our players would take games like last Wednesday’s at T&T more seriously if they had to battle each game for their starting spots. I want an assertive personality to point out bad calls against our guys, and also whine to the press about the USSF cronies when the situation calls for it. The manager must know how to organize a youth system that promotes people based on quality players developed, NOT WINS AND LOSSES.

We have to be able to have 2 gameplans, a plan to break down bunkering Concacaf and weaker sides and an organized defense with quick counterattacking to beat European and South American powers. Bob only seams capable of getting our guys to play the second style. If we don’t have the horses to possess the ball against Brazil that’s fine, I just want to be able to kill a game off without a heart attack against the improving Concacaf sides. I believe getting jozy, davies, torres, bradley, etc. into a defined system they have comfort with could pay off huge in 2014. We might make it out of the group and shock a big team in 2010, but as everyone saw in the Confederations Cup Final collapse our current style is too physically demanding in a tournament with only three days between games to win anything. Even if we make a run in 2010 we’ll be out of gas by the quarters.

I’m afraid the Confederations Cup may have done more harm than good in the long run, winning two and losing three isn’t getting you anywhere in the World Cup. All that said, a poor 2010 and resulting negative press after ESPN’s hype machine is exposed could force the USSF to make changes to remain relevant. America doesn’t like losing on the biggest stage in the world, even if it’s in a sport we don’t pay much attention to.

12. eplnfl says:

Please let me quote from an earlier post I made:

Think about this, the majority of the panel wants to fire a coach that has won a Gold Cup, finished second with a C team in another, finished second in the Confed. Cup, and has the US LEADING IT’S GROUP WITH 2 GAMES LEFT AND QUALIFICATON ALMOST ASSURED!

If the US wins the group which some people claim is impossible, yes I know Mexico has an easy schedule, then would you still want to fire the coach?

• Andy says:

I should have pointed out in my post that it’s definitely Bradley in 2010. You make good points in your posts and I agree this is Bradley’s team to lead in South Africa. It’s 2014 I’m concerned about, we could have an experienced, talented team to take to Brazil and the climate won’t be favorable to our current style compared to the South African winter in 2010. We hire someone as a director to get familiar with MLS and American talent with the understanding that they’ll take over after Bob’s guys hopefully make us proud in 2010. It’s the future we should be planning for, short term (Confederations Cup, Gold Cup) doesn’t matter as much if we can’t build on it.

13. fetch says:

I’m sold. Although I don’t necessarily agree with replacing Bradley so late in the cycle.

14. Mr_A says:

I like the argument, and if you need to talk about replacing the coach, that’s the right approach. But I agree with the (apparent minority of the) people that Bradley is doing a good job. Perhaps not stellar, but pretty good. And as anyone watching Argentina knows, star power can fade fast, and it’s a big bet. In between the games there’s a lot of getting players to give up team games, getting other players to be happy on the sidelines, and getting others to try out even when they miss, and relating to a bunch of Americans in the front and back office that may not be easy: all it takes is for the coach to be too homesick, or to get indigestion from foreign food at the wrong time, for the behind-the-scenes stuff to fall apart. I’ll take pretty good in the hand before chasing two stellars in the bush. But if Bradley gets hit by a bus or trapped in a crowd of Aztecas, your position is a good one.

15. Daniel Feuerstein says:

I’m here to inform everyone that I don’t believe Bob Bradley is going to be fired now. As I wrote in my first paragraph he will lead the Nats into next summers World Cup once they qualify. But no matter how the team does good or bad, my belief is that Beenhakker should be brought in to start 2011 and beyond.

If he can get a struggling T&T side to qualify for the World Cup after the Final Round and that goal aggregate playoff with Bahrain, then I think he will do a fantastic job with the Nats and I believe he has to stay longer than the usual four years.

16. Angel says:

@ Daniel Feuerstein
    Wow you got a right guy for the USNMT and I’m glad that you give us his Bio where he been before “Real Madrid, Ajax & Feyenoord” as he know Europe and Concacaf but you forgot one thing about Leo Beenhakker and that is that he knows very well the Mexican league and he know how to play at the Azteca. you may ask how does he knows all this well he was once Coach of the Mexican national team and he was coach of two big clubs in Mexico “America and Chivas of Guadalajara”. Plus he loves the league, he like America and the USA, and he know to spot good talent. I think he can bring the New European Style of playing here ala “Spain, Portugal, Holland & England with capello style.” all this team have a style that they can play with the ball on the ground, can control the ball and play defend with a good counter attack. I think he can get the U17 coach Wilmir Cabrera to be his assistant cause he can input a south American style with Leo Beenhakker style. But I think another one who come to mind are Two coaches that can help the USNMT but one problem is the language barrier. Those two are Beckerman and Lavolpe.

17. Rafael says:

I like Beenhaker, he’s a great coach, but my only concern is that he did not do much for Poland in this WC cycle and they are in a bad position.

18. 3VIL L33T says:

f**k that noise, Dominic Kinnear for USA MNT Coach after SA 2010

19. ELAC says:

Any coach that will give Jose Frnacisco Torres and other Latinos in this country a FAIR CHANCE, Im good with that.
    In the meantime, I will continue to pledge my support for bob Bradley. (gulp)

20. ELAC says:

I meant ALL LATINOS and ALL AMERICANS getting a fair chance.
    Not just ex-fire or Chivas USA players.

21. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Rafael: In all honesty what has Poland done that they are a strong side in Europe? The answer is none. Beenhakker if he is ever asked by US Soccer to take the job after 2010 will definetly make our players better and stronger. The Dutch connection with him & Rongen will be so much better.

Angel: I read the info from the FIFA site when he was sacked by the Polish FA. Unfortunatly they never mentioned him coaching in the Mexican league or for the Mexican FA, so that’s FIFA’s fault on their site. I also agree with you that Wilmer Cabrera could also be an assistant and the three can have a session discussing tactics and formations. It would really help boost the programs and at the same time US Soccer won’t have to worry about the power they would so badly miss.

22. Two Cents says:

Dick Advocaat would have been a fine choice — if Sunil had moved earlier in the summer.

23. Kevin says:

Kartik why do you say Kinear would not fit the culture of US Soccer? (Just wondering). I figure a bigger issue with him is non having international experience.

[Here's my reckless prediction: If Dom isn't the USMNT coach in 2013 then he'll be managing the Sounders in Seattle. When Sigi is done Paul Allen will write a 'no salary cap to worry about' fat check to get Dom (who has a ton of Seattle connections)... IMHO the only think stopping it is Dom getting the MNT gig.]

24. KG in KC says:

OK, let’s assume Bob Bradley is no longer the USMNT after WC2010. There still remains issues in USSF that would plague any successor. Does Bradley get ‘promoted’ to continue the reforms at the home office? Or does he find a better deal with another team? This would be a big jump from coaching to administration. What would be the effect of the team if USSF ever overhauled itself? Thanks for the article. Great points to consider.

25. Daniel Feuerstein says:

KG in KC: I am assuming Bob will take a vacation and then he will see if there are going to be any coaching jobs available.

26. Automoney says:

As for me, I really like Beenhaker as he’s great.