WED, 3PM ET
STO
LEI
SAT, 10AM ET
SUN
TOT

Arsene Wenger Sent Off Against Man United: Video

It was one of the most bizarre scenes you’ll see in a football match — if not comical. After Arsenal scored an equalizer in the game against Manchester United, the goal was called back because of William Gallas being in an offside position. Wenger then kicked a water bottle along the touchline in frustration. The fourth official got involved and referee Mike Dean sent Arsene Wenger off. However, Wenger got disoriented and ended up going the wrong way — only to end up in the crowd next to Man United supporters.

Be sure to watch the video here (above) before the authorities remove the video.

In addition to Wenger getting sent off, six Arsenal players received yellow cards in the match despite the fact that the game wasn’t rough. Instead, Mike Dean was rather card-happy.

What’s your opinion about Man United’s 2-1 win against Arsenal? In my opinion, Manchester United were lucky — very, very lucky. Arsenal completely outplayed Manchester United in the first half and could have easily been 2-0 or 3-0 up instead of the one wonder goal from Arshavin. Arsenal also started the second half better, but Man United lucked out by getting a penalty decision and an own goal from Diaby. That said, Manchester United never gave up and it was their persistent hard work which paid off in the end.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to Arsene Wenger Sent Off Against Man United: Video

1. Fletcher says:

Arsenal did not totally dominate but they did create many more chances and played very well together. Man U looked a bit disjointed and I would be a little worried if I beat a very talented, if young, team with a penalty and an own goal. Not the end of the story for sure… I think the reason that the Gunners will end up ahead of Man U at the end of the season is because of the way they play together. They look quick, efficient, and lethal and I think they may not lose again… maybe!

Man U, however, has a lot to fix. Giggs and Nani are good but once they start playing three matches a week, will they hold up? Also I think the absence of Michael Owen hurts Man U. While I’m not a huge Red Devils fan, I think he plays with far more passion than Berbatov ever could. I would count on Owen to seal the deal after the 60th minute any day of the week–not Berba.

Either way, the return match at The Emirates will be great!

2. Reds69 says:

Arsenal completely bossed the match. United needed a dive and an own goal to even be in it.

• Brandon says:

coming from the team that had someone go down without the goalie even touching him. The contact was there and Ive seen worse dives but that one could have gone either way. Yea we needed to sketchy penalty call and a own goal but if it was the other way around its all fair.

3. Simon Burke says:

Disappointed with the result – considering that was an away game, Arsenal played very well and Foster’s save was what may have won it.
    i didnt think its a pen, its a daft rule but surely there is a footnote that says if you belt it miles past the keeper its not a pen.. I dont know – there should be.

I wouldnt have given the Arshavin one either.

All in all I dont think the result was fair and the nonsense of card-happy Dean sending of Wenger about summed it up. He couldnt just let it go. ONly yellow that was really worthy was Eboue’s. Wenger was peeved as were all the fans – he booted a bottle. Big deal, at least Mike dean made it one.

On to City …

4. Brandon says:

it was obvious that Arsenal out played United but like you said United never gave up and continued push the match in the second half. The only thing I think will be Arsenals downfall will be how fast they play. The looked whipped at the end of the match and couldn’t keep the ball or deal with the continued driving by United. If it was tied I think any good team will get a couple really good chances to win it because of how tired there players are. Berbatov was utter crap when he came on….it should have ended 3-1. Rooney would have sealed that, drogba, anelka, torres, any quality striker would have put the fork in them given that chance. Berbatov’s lack of motivation really gets under my skin being a United fan because he just looks like crap and we paid way to much for him.

5. TFoAV says:

It’s really simple. Even though Arsenal dominated the game, Man U took advantage of the chances that they were given. Even though the Rooney penalty was debatable, he still could’ve missed. And Arsenal has nobody to blame but themselves for the 2nd goal, Diaby did the worst thing you could possibly do in that position. I do agree that the card-happy ref did take away some of the luster from the game, but I suppose it was a fair result considering how many opportunities that Wenger’s boys failed to capitalize upon. United did what they could to get the result, and Arsenal didn’t. It’s that simple.

The return match is going to be great, though. Arsenal will likely get their revenge then.

6. jleau says:

Don’t really follow the line of thought that United “took their chances”? How had is it to convert a questionable PK and an own goal? What team doesn’t take advantage of an OG, and this one was about as bad as they get. Diaby wasn’t even under pressure.

United were never really a threat until they were ahead and Arsenal threw everbody forward. Outside of the nice pass to Rooney, Giggs looked very old and slow, I think Song made up 10 yards on him to run him down in the first half.

Arsenal should feel good about the way they played but this was a big opportunity lost.

The penalty was a bad call but I don’t think it was a dive. The ball was over the touch before Almunia made contact but there was contact.

7. Tyson says:

Manchester United were leagues ahead of Arsenal.

Manchester United are without Van Der Sar and Rio Ferdinand yet they are capable of defending against Arsenal so well the only goal Arsenal actually put at the back of the net is the one that Arshavin slammed in frustration with little to no idea it would end up in the back of the net.

On the other hand Manchester United play with only one man in front of the net yet the only reason they are kept out of the net is because of 6 yellow carders.

Arsenal might as well have been playing rugby they simply were fouling anybody that went close to the net. It got to the point where United might as well given up trying to score because as soon as a player got a touch he got fouled.

6 yellow cards says it all about how great Arsenal tackled and defended when under pressure.

If a damaged Manchester United with so many regular players missing is doing this well then Arsenal really have something to be worried about.

They beat us last year 2-1 when we were weak at the beginning of the season and this year we have even more first team players out yet they fail to beat us.

• Jake says:

What are you talking about? Arsenal were without Fabregas and Walcott, and Arshavin is admittedly not 100% . United were fouling just as much, that ref is known to be card-happy. Arsenal’s back four plus Denilson and Song played stellar defense the entire game. Arsenal clearly had better chances to score. You cannot seriously say that a game won on a penalty and an own goal was deserved. If you want your opinion to be respected, you can’t sound like a biased fanboy and have some subjectivity.

• Eric T says:

wow tyson that was probably the most bias match analysis i’ve ever seen

• Angry Warri Boy says:

Are you blind? Did you watch the match or just read about it or just see the match stats?
      I don’t know what to say.
      ARE YOU BLIND?

8. jm says:

Odd sort of thing. Arsenal were clearly the better side, but it was their own mistakes that cost them the match. So, I’m hard pressed to say they *deserved* it, but I can certainly see the argument.

The officiating was embarrassing, though I do not think ultimately decisive. Rather, it merely served to mar an otherwise entertaining match.

9. DP says:

A misjudged decision in the field might be forgiven, but adding a non sense sent off to Wenger was overly poor decision by the official, but i like the way Wenger ‘accepted’ it

10. Brandon says:

Being a United Fan I can honestly say we were lucky to win this one and Foster and our Defense kept us in this one. No one can say our Defense was a patch work defense because everyone of those players are defenders and would start on almost any team along with anybody else on that pitch for both teams. Arsenal made some mistakes that cost them and Diaby almost made it equal seconds after his own goal but scuffed the shot wide. What would anyone say if Berbatov would have done what every other striker would have done and sunk that one on one with the keeper or nani would have had a second earlier to sink the rebound from his first shot or RVP’s goal wasnt called off because Gallas wasnt offsides. People cry or say something was dodgy when they control most of the match but still lose….i know cause Ive done it but I think everyone should try to look at a match from a neutral stand point before coming on here and whining about it.

Tyson- I guess you watched the match from last year not today.

• Jake says:

Thank you Brandon, if you’re commenting on a serious article you have to be neutral. You can’t come in here ranting like a drunken fan.

11. wllmhll says:

cheeky man that wenger.

12. Brian Chicago says:

I have to agree that united were lucky to get three points
    out of this. I’m a big united fan so it’s hard to admit but the passing was awful. I’m not sure what happened to carrick this year but he was not making any difference as the holding midfielder he is. Rooney is still on form but had little of the ball. I did think fletcher was good helping on defense though.

13. gooner4life says:

I pride myself, despite being a Gooner, in being able to be objective, fair, and thoughtful about EPL results. I find that difficult today. I spent half the week listening to people lambaste Eduardo then watch Rooney go down like he was shot. He immediately “appealed” (if you can call throwing your arms in the air and screaming at the ref like a petulant, foul-mouthed child) for a penalty and it was duly given. I expect that at this point at Old Trafford. Mike Riley gave one like that years ago, except in that case there was literally no contact made between Sol Campbell and Wayne Rooney.
    What I’d like to know is: why when a foreigner like Eduardo goes down in the box it’s diving and we need to talk about it for weeks and months (and give him a 2 match ban even though in a game it’d be a yellow card???!!!??), but when Rooney does something not too different, it’s considered fair play? WHY???? When he dove in four years ago to end our Invincible run, it NEVER got publicized. No complaints, no calls for a ban, nothing.
    Disgraceful.

14. Duncan says:

But Eduardo wasn’t even touched.

15. gooner4life says:

Go watch the Rooney penalty highlight again. Please. I just did, 10 times. Rooney goes down before he was even touched. Eventually, as he was falling, he was in fact touched, so I’ll give you that. But, please, look again. Rooney was looking for the penalty, and fell before he was touched. That, in my book, is a form of diving, and I’d just like people to stand up and be objective, rather than just blaming foreigners. I read a while again on a UK paper that Rooney couldn’t have dived because “that wasn’t his character.”
    HUH?? I guess people have short memories.

16. SirKev says:

As a United fan, United were extremely lucky today. Their passing was sub-par with too many giveaways and poor decisions. However, Aresnal couldn’t covert their possession or chances into goals and they lost. Based on how United’s goals scored, Arsenal deserved to lose. Both goals came due to poor decision making and execution. Almunia made a bad decision to come out because the ball was going to fast for Rooney to control. Despite that it was a penalty because he made contact with Rooney and took him down. Almunia was committed to the tackle and made no effort to avoid Rooney.

As to the cards, I thought that they were justified. Deane handed out cards to rash or reckless challenges. The reason that United did not get as many cards was that most of their fouls were of the tugging or blocking variety. Typically, a ref will allow 3 or 4 of those before booking someone. Plus, I believe that 2 of Arsenal’s cards were for dissent or non-contact fouls.

Arsenal are a very good side and can win the title this year, this performance convinced me. The questions they must answer are the typical Arsenal questions of performance in the cold and toughness. Remember that United only took 5/18 pts from the Big 4 last year. If Arsenal can take care of business against the smaller clubs, they could lift the trophy in May.

Conversely, United are still a work in progress. Ferdinand coming back will not solve the offensive issues I saw today. Carrick seems to have regressed and Anderson continues to sit. They need to find consistency on the wings. I am a Berbatov fan, but his substitute performance was shocking and he needs to have a good rebound performance in the next match. United have worked through issues before, but without CR and the apparent strength of Chelsea, ManC, Spurs, and Arsenal it will be a difficult feat. If Sir Alex pulls this one off, this will be his greatest managerial performance.

17. Byungsoo says:

Man Utd was really really lucky today. I watched the whole match and Arsenal bossed today until Diaby’s own goal. I don’t think Man Utd will survive in UEFA CL. We will see…. Anyway, I love Arsenal’s Away shirts. :)

18. Ringo says:

Piss poor Freddie Flintoff impression.

19. jleau says:

Almunia did not take Rooney down. If you watch the replay, his knee is on the ground before Almunia touches him. Plus the ball is over the touchline prior to contact. Poor penalty and a poor decision for the keeper to even come off his line.

20. bigdavestar says:

Wenger is a legend, so funny there! And to think that’s coming from a manager. Haha.

21. Sam Gooner says:

Wenger sending off was classical he owns every united fans as of now all United fans are Wengers little b!tches funny that