MON, 3PM ET
TUES, 2:45PM ET
BAR
AJA
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SCH
SPC

Davies5 282x300 US Squad: Adu, Wynne, Pearce, Califf, Kljestan, Beasley Dropped: Holden, Marshall Retained from Gold Cup

• Chad Marshall’s performance in the Gold Cup has earned him a spot on the US squad for the trip to Azteca. Interestingly, this puts Marshall past foreign based players Michael Parkhurst, and Danny Califf. Consider this a major victory for MLS, and proof that the league is comparable in quality at its top level to any European league.
  • Freddy Adu is probably out of the national team mix for the rest of the 2010 cycle: Jose Torres is essentially the same player and I think it is clear Torres, left footed, small and creative has beaten him out. Playing at Pachuca, a North American super club beats not playing at all anywhere.
  • Stuart Holden’s inclusion is not a surprise but count me absolutely shocked by Conor Casey’s continued run in the first team for the United States. Perhaps a good start to Kenny Cooper’s 1860 Munich career can change this.
  • Bob Bradley is taking no chances dropping out of form Sacha Kljestan and perennially injured DaMarcus Beasley. Good moves on both counts.
  • DuNord’s Bruce McGuire and I had just finished taping our preview show for the game when this squad came out: so sadly, the show which will be released this weekend will not include squad analysis but general themes related to US-Mexico.
  • ESPN 2 will have extensive coverage of the match despite not broadcasting it. Bob Ley who called USMNT and USWNT matches in the 1990s on ABC returns to Soccer for the first time in almost a decade hosting a pregame and post-game show live from Azteca. Mun2 and Telemundo will show the matches with Phil Schoen and Marcelo Balboa handling the English language play by play while Andreas Cantor handles the Spanish language play by play.
  • The USMNT will gather in Miami early on Monday to train both Monday and Tuesday before traveling to Mexico City. As always, expect full coverage here at MLS Talk.

GOALKEEPERS (2): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa: 5/3 SO), Tim Howard (Everton FC: 11/7 SO)
DEFENDERS (7): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes: 21/3), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA, 2/0), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover: 18/0), Jay DeMerit (Watford: 2/0), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew: 0/0), Oguchi Onyewu (AC Milan: 16/1), Jonathan Spector (West Ham: 2/0)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach: 10/4), Ricardo Clark (Houston Dynamo: 5/0), Clint Dempsey (Fulham FC: 17/4), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus: 1/0), Stuart Holden (Houston Dynamo: 0/0), José Francisco Torres (Pachuca: 5/0)
FORWARDS (5): Jozy Altidore (Villarreal: 8/5), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids: 5/0), Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo: 15/6), Charlie Davies (FC Sochaux: 2/1), Landon Donovan (Los Angeles Galaxy: 30/11)
*numbers indicate all-time World Cup Qualifying caps/goals

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, US National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

About Kartik Krishnaiyer

View all posts by Kartik Krishnaiyer →

43 Responses to US Squad: Adu, Wynne, Pearce, Califf, Kljestan, Beasley Dropped: Holden, Marshall Retained from Gold Cup

1. I’m ok with this roster, except Casey. Bob is on Conor’s nuts pretty hard.

2. LOL, Jason. As I said also Casey is the one that really throws me for a loop. I think actually it’s got 99% of us wonder, WTF? Maybe he is there just for training purposes- let’s hope that’s the case!

3. park bolivar says:

You know, Conor Casey just worked his ass off in the MLS All-Star Game, and I was forced to change my opinion of him. Problem was, he just couldn’t make anything happen.

• DrJonS says:

*ding* I agree 100%, the guy looked dangerous against Everton, but weak in the Confederations Cup. I don’t see him playing much, but we will see who shows up.

4. Berlin says:

Makes sense to me, Casey is a lot like Ching. Big, strong, good in the air and so that makes him a likely fit for the US tandem of speed and setup forwards. We have two of each. I think this line-up is basically what all us critics have been asking for, now we’ll see if we’re right.

5. C Webb says:

In regards to Casey, you’re essentially talking about a 4th string forward. Those players usually don’t see the field.

Ching, Altidore and Davies are locks to play, but who starts and who subs in are unknown.

The ONLY role I see from Casey is if by some miracle the US is leading or tied late in the match, he actually comes in to help defend from the forward position (i.e, defend on free kicks, corners, etc…)

There is no realistic situation where he comes in with the US trailing, even if we’re swarming forward and lumping balls into the box. I would think Ching and Altidore would take care of that. Come to think of it, Chad Marshall is a better late game sub in terms of set pieces than Casey is.

This roster looks great from what I can see…

6. Steve A says:

So whats the Starting 11 here guys? 4-4-2 with Howard, Bocanegra,Onyewu,Demerit,Spector, Donavan,Bradley,Clark,Dempsey, Davies&Ching?

7. I say

Spector-DeMerit-Gooch-Bocanegra
    ——–Clark————Bradley—-
    Dempsey—————-Donovan—-
    Ching—————Davies———–

Yeah, Steve A has the same lineup!

8. Wow, Kartik, for once, we’re in perfect agreement. Mark your calendar. And I agree with Park about how hard Casey works, but his MLS success will never transfer to the national team. He has Jason Kreis disease. I hope Bradley uses Torres.

9. Jose says:

I too hope that Torres gets some playing time, and I’m glad to see that Holden was picked.

10. EastLAChiva says:

Conor is no Drogba, but he doesn’t seem to be shy in front of the net. No Sacha or Beas is a positive sign that Bob opening his eyes a bit. 105k fans will be bedlam.

I pray that we win (which I’m sure we will) and I pray that JF Torres gets either an assist or the winning goal.

From this Mexican-American’s standpoint, it would be like celebrating 4th of July all over again.

Go Yanks!

11. Arena never gave Kreis much of a chance YH, but yeah, you’re basically right!

12. NJ says:

Altidore, most likely gets the start vs Davies. Granted Davies has performed great recently, but Bobby has some love for Jozy, and Davies has proven he can perform well coming off the bench.

I also would prefer someone else in Ricardo’s spot in your line up Kartik, but I’m sure the US plays a more defensive game in crazy Azteca and he is perfect for that role.

13. NJ- maybe Benny slides in front of Bradley? Could work, if Benny can go 90 minutes. I think Torres probably comes on for Clark if we are down a goal and slides to left pushing Landon up.

14. Rex says:

Starters:
    Spector-DeMerit-Gooch-Bocanegra
    ——–Clark————Bradley—-
    Dempsey—————-Donovan—-
    Ching—————Davies———–

If we are tied at half we move to:
    Spector-DeMerit-Gooch-Bocanegra
    ——–Clark————Bradley—-
    Torres/Feilhaber—————-Donovan—-
    Ching—————Dempsey———–

Losing at half we move to:
    Spector-DeMerit-Gooch-Bocanegra
    ——————Bradley—
    Dempsey—————Torres
    ————Donovan
    Altidore—————Davies———

15. Lee says:

Take it easy folks… Casey won’t make the bench, and was only called in to give Cooper a chance to settle in with his new club.

16. soccer goals says:

I agree with your starting Xl, but I think that Altidore will start up top with Ching exploiting the Salcido/Magallon pairing, while Davies has proven valuable as a spark off the bench.

17. Jason says:

The sad thing about Casey is that all of these unproductive call-ups hurt the nice form he had for Colorado at the beginning of the year.

No Pearce or Beasley guarentees a Bocanegra start at LB. Can’t imagine Bornstein getting that start. I would actually prefer to see Bornstein dropped and use Spector as the second LB. (Spector starts at RB and slides over if injury and ‘Dolo comes on). Casey is clear second choice to be dropped, with the ability of Donovan and Dempsey to move forward.

18. kyle says:

Will you be releasing a post game podcast like you did for the Confederations Cup?

19. Greg says:

“Chad Marshall’s performance in the Gold Cup has earned him a spot on the US squad for the trip to Azteca. Interestingly, this puts Marshall past foreign based players Michael Parkhurst, and Danny Califf. Consider this a major victory for MLS, and proof that the league is comparable in quality at its top level to any European league.”

Not to be a jerk or anything, but how exactly does this “prove” that? Your logic is extremely flawed in a myriad of ways. For instance, both these players are in the Danish league, which is clearly not a top European league.

No matter how much you may want it to be, even the highest echelon of MLS is not yet comparable to ‘any top European league’. And even if it was, this particular tidbit would be no great proof of that at all.

Sorry to be so contrary, but… no.

20. Music says:

Adu was left off this roster so he can find a club team. If he had been called up he probably would have refused. Maybe that’s what happened. Considering Torres wasn’t even called up for the Gold Cup, Adu is still ahead of him, and once Adu signs with a club he will be right back in the mix for the starting XI

Both Adu and Torres should be on the WC roster.

21. Casey says:

Very pleased with the roster.
    1.Glad to see Bradley has put his biased opinions on Beasley and Kljestan aside.
    2.Holden definetely desired to be on the squad
    3. Why is Casey getting another chance when he has consistently underperformed.
    4. Hopefully Cooper gets a chance to play with the big boys and gets the opportunity to show what he can bring to the team. No question that he has far more talent than Casey

22. Brandon says:

I really like this squad. I don’t know why most people are down on Bornstein. He had some good performances in the Confed Cup. Not a starter, but I like him as a bench player because of his ability to come in for a midfielder to provide extra defense if we find ourself ahead. Spector provides additional coverage at left back if needed. The allows roster space for a versatile player like Bornstein. Barring injury, Casey won’t make the World Cup squad; Edu or Jones will take his spot when available.

23. Greg says:

Why hasnt maurice edu been selected?
    = European based
    =Plays regularly for a top team.

24. Brandon says:

Correction:

This allows…

25. layla says:

hey! what’s up? I was surfing the net and I found this website, so I would like to take the opportunity to leave a recommendation. Check http://www.ScanMessenger2.com and you will see that you could find free emoticons about soccer. You could download those and other funny emoticons for free. Check http://scanmessenger2.com/en/s/free-emoticons/ get the best free emoticons and have fun chating with your MSN Messenger friends!

xoxo!

26. DrJonS says:

I’d like to see something like this

Spector-DeMerit-Gooch-Bocanegra
    —————–Clark——————
    –Holden———————–Dempsey
    ——————Bradley————–
    ——–Donovan———————-
    —————Altidore—————-

If necessary you can move Dempsey up, pull Rico out, and place Torres on the left. This for added offense. Or, go pure speed and play Donovan/Davies from the start.

27. Kevin says:

Andreas Cantor? Oh god no. I don’t know Spanish but I can’t stand him. Seeing that I might be able to watch the game in Spanish I’m going to overuse the mute button.

28. Jake says:

Count me in on the idea of leaving out Kljestan and Beasley. It drives me crazy, some of the decisions we have seen from Bradley this summer. I am guessing he will do what he did towards the end of the Confederations cup and have the same line up. But now he will either have Ching start or have him sub in for Jozy or Charlie and I bet pull the same move of putting Demps up top if he needs to sub Benny in, or maybe Torres. I am betting that this team started to gel and believe in themselves by the Confed Cup final and Bradley won’t want to change that dynamic.

29. Glubber says:

I don’t get why everyone is so down on Casey. No, he’s not great, but he’s been more productive than Cooper by and large over the last year+. And who else is there? Casey’s inclusion merely points to the fact that our forward pool is painfully shallow.

30. Jason says:

Music,
    Your assumption about Adu being ahead of Torres just because Adu was called into the Gold Cup squad is totally off-base. Unlike Adu, Torres plays weekly for Pachuca, not just in the FMF regular season and playoffs, but also in competitions like the FIFA World Club Cup and the Copa Lib.

Torres return to Pachuca was pre-arranged (like that of the other US “A” Team players that play regularly for their clubs), so he could garner some rest and be ready for the Pachuca preseason. You will find Torres on the 2010 roster, but likely not Adu, unless his club situation makes a miraculous turn around.

31. dude says:

There is no way in Hell Ching should start.

“Well, I’m glad we finally got our offense to work by pairing Davies and Jozy together. With Davies’ counter and Jozy’s scoring threat, we almost won a fifa final.

“Now let’s bring in the one person we know canNOT score, having demonstrated his lack of ability for several years, to ensure we don’t get a result in the smog filled cauldron of Azteca!”

WE GOT AS FAR AS WE DID BECAUSE HE WAS NOT IN THE STARTING… eleven. He gums up fluidity, he has no speed, no real talent for finishing. him and Casey get plenty of time and space in MLS to line up a shot, but don’t at the international level, and they are simply useless. Cooper can actually finish. Why not add your support to him?

What is wrong with you people?

• I tend to agree with you about Ching. But I’m not sold on Cooper, either. Who says we need a hulking forward in the starting 11 anyway? I’d like to see this line-up:
      Spector-DeMerit-Bocanegra-Bornstein
      —————–Bradley——————
      Dempsey———————–Torres
      ——————Donovan————–
      Davies———-———————-
      —————Altidore—————-
      With Davies given the freedom to switch and play out wide to stretch the shaky Mexican backline. It’s kind of a small squad, but it’s a quick one. Holden as first sub.

• Rex says:

Yankeehooligan, i like your lineup and it is probably my preferred, but in Mexico City i would like to have Clark in the midfield. He is too good at disrupting Mexico’s rhythm.

32. If Eddie Johnson continues to feature for Fulham, he’ll be back very soon. Bradley likes him- in my prodding of US Soccer over the last two years about Bradley liking or disliking players, the only answers I have EVER gotten about players have been that Bradley dislikes Bobby Convey and he likes Eddie Johnson in both cases because of their work rate in training. (Convey doesn’t work hard, EJ does.)

33. Florida Goal says:

Eddie is back in the team for the next qualifier. I think Bradley left him at Fulham this time so he could keep impressing Hodgson with the opener around the corner.

34. Tony H says:

Marshall and Casey are for training purposes only. I’d expect to see Donovan start up top with Jozy and then look at Torres on the left side.

35. Larry says:

I am disappointed Pearce isn’t getting a look.

When will Castillo be cleared for the USA?

36. ERT 145 says:

Ching is so terrible. Casey also. EJ coming back would nice and also it may be time to look Jemel Johnson or Jerimiah White. White after all plays on the same team as Feilhaber. Marcus Tracy also.

37. Nate says:

Hull City is the best we can do for our star striker?

We are in worse shape than I thought!

38. soccer goals says:

Adu could head to Denmark.