FRI, 2:30PM ET
SWA1
SAT, 12:30PM ET
ARS
MUFC

Altidore to Join Hull City on One-Year Loan

jozyhulltweet Altidore to Join Hull City on One Year Loan

American striker Jozy Altidore has confirmed that he will be playing for Hull City this season, and that a press conference to announce the deal will take place on Thursday afternoon.

ESPN is reporting that move is not a transfer, but rather a one-year loan designed to get Altidore more playing time against top competition. As I wrote here yesterday, Altidore was most likely to get more playing time with the Tigers, who are thin up front, than with Fulham or Everton. Hull’s current group of forwards — Daniel Cousin, Craig Fagan, Caleb Folan, Nicky Featherstone and Ryan Kendall — combined for only 8 goals in 64 Premier League appearances last season. Marlon King, who was on loan from Wigan Athletic for half of last season, added 5 goals in 19 league starts, good enough for second in team scoring behind Geovanni, who scored 8 goals.

Hull City is also expected to announce the signing of Nigerian midfielder Seyi Olofinjana from Stoke City in tomorrow’s press conference. The Tigers’ first match is away to Chelsea on August 15, which will air in the USA at 7:45 AM Eastern Time on Setanta Sports. American soccer fans will either be getting up very early or setting their DVRs to see a few battles between Altidore and John Terry.

14 Responses to Altidore to Join Hull City on One-Year Loan

1. Rob says:

Smart and Solid move, lets hope it pays off for Jozy and the USMNT. Hull might end up being my Premiership team after all.

2. thedoc says:

cant wait to see what jozy does here. hopefully he gives them enough goals to stay clear of a relegation battle

3. Les says:

I am absolutely delighted about this.

Woooooo! C’mon you ‘Ull.

4. Provided Jozy plays on the 15th. He’ll be in the U.S. camp for Mexico as will the other EPL based players. I have my doubts Clint will play versus Portsmouth as well.

5. Chris says:

Dang… i wish this was on on FSC lol

6. GarethChelsea says:

Not been impressed by what I’ve seen of him so far but I’m reserving judgement on him until i have seen him play in the prem.

7. Jay says:

Setanta US just posted their EPL schedule for Aug 5th. No early Saturday fixture (7:45AM ET), so that means no Chelsea v Hull City on Setanta or FSC. I wonder if Setanta lost the rights to the early Saturday fixture. Last season they had that one. Between Setanta and FSC I count a total of 8 fixtures airing during the weekend (out of 10).

• Jay,

As of this second, it’s not even listed on FSC’s website to air live or delayed. The only airing is the Chelsea TV Match Replay that will air Tuesday at 6:30 am. I’ve sent a message to Setanta and have not gotten a reply.

I hope this is a ‘slight’ oversight on Setanta’s part and they correct their schedule (they’ve updated their schedule a few times already). While I enjoy a good game from the RPL, don’t do it to spite the EPL (and with full disclosure, the team I support in Chelsea).

8. wllmhll says:

he had a good confederations cup i thought, he’ll do well. was secretly hoping he would join fulham and follow mcbride’s.

9. RaiderRich says:

Thank God, he’s out of Spain. He was never going to get a real shot there because he’s black.

10. Evan says:

totally right RaiderRich

11. FredZ says:

As an American I hope he’ll score 20 goals but I still want Hull to be relegated. Their idiot orange skinned manager needs to disappear from the Prem. I have no faith that he’ll get the best out of Altidore either since he wasted some decent players in last season’s long winless streak.

12. HullfanZ says:

as an american i’ve been waiting to see altidore play in the premier leauge and i figure out that its not airing on FSC. this is bs. im just happy hes out of spain.but theres a whole season ahead of hull. so will see some games.hopefully altidore represents America like Clint Dempsey