SUN, 8:30AM ET
ALM
SUN, 8:30PM ET
LAG
SEA

News Update: Steven Gerrard Cleared Of Affray Charges

News Update: Steven Gerrard Cleared Of Affray Charges

Steven Gerrard was cleared of affray today when the jury at the Liverpool Crown Court delivered a verdict of not guilty. Gerrard insisted he had been acting in self-defense when he punched Marcus McGee at the Lounge Inn in Southport after an argument over the music in the club’s CD player.

Gerrard apologized about the incident, admiting he was mistaken in believing McGee was coming after him, not realizing one of his friends had already elbowed McGee in the face. Gerrard had been drinking with his friends after Liverpool’s 5-1 win over Newcastle.

Five of Gerrard’s friends admitted to affray. Another admitted to threatening behavior.

Judge Henry Globe said to Gerrard: “The verdict is a credible verdict on the full facts of this case, and you walk away from this court with your reputation intact.”

Rafael Benitez issued his relief on Liverpool’s official site. “We are really pleased,” said Benitez. “He is very important for us and he can now focus just on football.”

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

38 Responses to News Update: Steven Gerrard Cleared Of Affray Charges

1. Ethan Armstrong says:

What does everyone think about this outcome? I’m having trouble separating myself as the Liverpool/Gerrard supporter from the guy who thinks celebrities often get away with far too much.

2. mickey says:

How can 5 people stood with him get found guilty of affray and he gets nothing? especially as he was caught on video punching the bloke 3 times. He had mistaken his friend elbowing him in the face in front of his face a few seconds before…righto.

Fair play to Gerrard he got a result. I did less and got a lot worse.

money talks and bullshit walks.

• leady says:

coulnt agree more,what goes on there,are his 5 mates gattin a back hander of him or what

• T-Bull says:

His mates admitted guilt, they were not on trail, not Stevies fault they could not afford the Legal “A” team. Just don’t think a jury found those 6 guilty but not Steve, only SG was on trial here.

It still seems unfair…

3. Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to court systems. Gerrard could have received nothing, sent up the river for a few, or something in between. There doesn’t seem to be any rhyme, reason or logic to it all.

4. John says:

If he had acted like that on the football field he would have been sent off and suspended for a long period. His fame and money would not have been able to bail him out.
    Justice system? Injustice system more like.

5. Vince says:

From what I gather this verdict is a joke. They have been reporting all afternoon on Talk Sport that Gerrard has admitted punching the victim but did it in “self defence”, mistakenly thinking that he was about to be attacked by the victim. So, does that mean that we can all go and give someone a good hiding if we just “think” that they may be about to attack us? I have no axe to grind with Steven Gerrard but in my opinion, this verdict is a sham. He was quite clearly seen on CCTV punching the victim right after his mate elbowed the man in the face. The victim was on his way down after the elbow, so how did Gerrard perceive he was about to be attacked? This is nonsense. Any ordinary bloke would have been found guilty in this case, but Gerrard has got away with it, presumably because of whom he is and the fact that he can afford some fancy lawyers. I appreciate that footballers are targeted by morons who want to cause trouble nowadays but this incident was captured on CCTV and it looked pretty obvious to me that Gerrard was the aggressor. So much for British justice!

6. Lyle says:

What a joke. Hope he feels good about himself. His friends plead guilty and he gets off, and he was the main belligerent.

Priceless classism. Hope football fans across England give Mr. Gerrard a piece of their mind this season.

7. vinnie says:

“I’m having trouble separating myself as the Liverpool/Gerrard supporter from the guy who thinks celebrities often get away with far too much.”

I agree with Ethan but i sincerely think that Stevie is not guilty. I seriously believe that no one was aware that John threw the first punch, not even Marcus. If Marcus knew it was John, why would he walk up to Stevie instead of John? I wouldn’t blame Marcus either, if anything, it was John who thought he was a big shot hanging out with a celeb footballer.

This case sounds pretty similar to my mates’ case, except he pleaded guilty for public nuisance, there’s no case to fight. From the sound of it, all entities in Lounge Inn would have got charged of public nuisance according to the law here in Queensland regardless if it was self-defence but I’m pretty sure any celebs would have got away too

• Lyle says:

Nonsense. He clearly punched the guy and not in self defense. If Steven Gerrard was a man he would have plead guilty and done some time or paid a really hefty fine. Instead he got off because Jesus of Merseyside. Sad day for him and all concerned.

Probably just a prelude to Liverpool failing to win the EPL again. That guy doesn’t deserve it at all. Liverpool might, but not Steven “Punches Like a Boxer” Gerrard.

8. leady says:

i allways thought that self defence was when somebody punched you first and then you struck back not in gerrards case

9. Ben Mercer says:

you hold a jury trial in a city where Gerrard is pretty much universally adored (excluding Evertonians here) – what do you expect.

it’s ridiculous. How can six people do it and be convicted, and one not? he’s admitted he was drunk, and yet claims he acted in self defence…defence from what? the guy you and you’re mates are beating seven shades of sh** out of? did Mr. McGee even attempt to land a blow?

Gerrard also claims he didn’t see the initial elbowing from one of his accomplices…he, who was standing literally next to the man in question, did not see it, and yet a CCTV camera the other side of the bar with a partially obscured view clearly shows the incident, and (what looks to be) Gerrard looking directly at the action.

it seemed blatently obvious from the first time i saw the footage that all concerned were guilty, and yet sadly, there was always huge doubt that Gerrard would be convicted, despite the fact that he was equally as complicit as his friends.

i hope that this incident does not reflect Gerrard’s true character, and i’m sure he regrets hat he did – but so do a lot of people sitting in a prison cell as i type this. Justice has not been done, largely because he was tried in front of the very people who he plies his trade to please.

10. T-Bull says:

It was a bar fight, he is a scouser what would you expect, and the other six were not” found guilty” so much as they admitted guilt, its not like they said you 6 are guilty but not Stevie. Stevie G was the only one being tried here.

If a jury can find OJ not Guilty………………..

Steve did it and got off, thanks to a crack legal team, he is not the first, nor will he be the last.

BTW the arrest last year was for me when the hope of the EPL title started to fade for LFC. I believe it disrupted the clubs momentum to that time..

11. Pat says:

This verdict stinks. As most others have said, any ordinary person, viz a viz Gerrards ‘friends’ who were with him, would have been found guilty, as they all were. It shows the ‘justice system’ to be the joke that it is. I think they should have a thorough investigation into this ‘trial’ because I think any confidence I had in british justice just evaporated. where did they get the jury from by the way?? Liverpool FC supporters club?? Or ‘Steven Gerrard’ fan club??

12. george says:

Oh yes, another case of LFC fans/players are “INNOCENT”.I don’t know why anyone is surprised.After all it goes back many years some examples of which are:
    No one responsible for 39 italian deaths and ALL English clubs banned-FACT.
    Every fan who went to Hillsborough had a match ticket and did not force their way in- “FACT”.
    No one dropped a paving stone on a Bulgarian waiter who is now brain damaged.Whilst LFC fans scream “SHIELDS IS INNOCENT”-”FACT”

It wasn’t LFC fans who riped the seats out and started fighting at Millwall in the away end.Oh no, Millwall were fined for that.-FACT.
    What we can’t work out is how so many people seem to like this abhorent club.Maybe this will change now

• Kautzie says:

That’s spot on george, couldn’t have said it any better.

• JB123 says:

Shut up, George. A typical comment from a typical idiot. Things like Hillsborough have nothing to do with the corrupt legal system and this case. I’m not defending Gerrard, he shouldn’t of got off with it. But by your logic any bar fight should result in a jail sentence should it? Ridiculous, I suppose you’ve never done anything wrong have you? People fight in bars all the time, not just scousers. Bringing up tradgedies like hillsborough is uncalled for. Supporters from your club have never committed a crime have they? Idiotic bitter football fan.

13. Jack says:

‘Stevie’ Gerrard was as guilty as sin. He initiates the confrontation with Marcus, who was cornered; his friend viciously elbows Marcus in the face, and then as Marcus reeled back from the blow ‘Stevie’, like a pussy, repeatedly batters him about the head with help from his mates. Everyone but ‘Stevie’ guilty of affray (when clearly the charge should have been one of aggravated assault resulting in actual bodily harm) or at least intimidating behaviour due to the jury’s non-existent impartiality; judge verbally fellates ‘Stevie’ while trying really hard to convince the gallery (and himself) that the verdict is ‘credibl’e.

• T-Bull says:

“The whole thing is disgusting, and I hope Gerrard has one of his legs destroyed in a sliding tackle gone wrong.”-Jack

My God man, it was a bar fight, not rape or murder, he didn’t bugger anyone, it was 2 am and everyone was lit, these things happen.

Try to keep some perspective

• JB123 says:

Well said T-Bull, people act as if they’ve never been in a fight before. A jail sentence would have been harsh but I do believe he should of got community service or something.

• Lyle says:

Most people haven’t been in fights before. Most people realize you will go to jail if you beat up someone. Getting in fights at bars is not the norm for most people, only for belligerent drunks.

Gerrard should have been a man and plead guilty along with his “pals”.

• T-Bull says:

I agree that Gerrard should have just admitted guilt. He was guilty in most peoples eyes , myself included. I just don’t see how an obviously biased jury equates to hoping the guy walks with a limp the rest of his life.
            These people perform incredible physical feats for our pleasure, but if they make a mistake of the pitch, you call for his head.

There was not a tenth of this outcry in the states when Donte Stallworth ( a NFL player) struck and KILLED a man while driving drunk earlier this year (There should have been).

I am led to believe people who want see Gerrard to crucified , dead , and buried over this, have been at the stinging end of a late Gerrard winner.

Its just a game, He is only human.

If you are perfect , then please sit in Judgement of us all !

14. Kautzie says:

I’m not saying the FA should suspend him or anything but if Joey Barton did something like this you would have all these idiots in the media wanting to ban him from the game but Gerrard does it and nobody says anything. It’s definitely a double standard.

15. JB123 says:

He’s a very lucky man, I guess you can’t underestimate the power of reputation and the corrupt legal system. Glad he got off it anyway, only because I’m a Liverpool fan

16. T-Bull says:

I would have so much more respect for Steve Gerrard (or any notable who gets into trouble) if he would have said ” I did it, bad judgement on my part, I regret this incident even happened” than for him to plead innocence.

I have two Steve G jerseys hanging in my closet, and I will wear them with pride because he is a great footballer. He is not a role model of my kids, I am the role model.

Professional atheletes live in a self-inflicted bubble, they have no knowledge of the real world. Has he had to put off buying a new car cuase his kid needs braces (do they even have orthodontist in England? ) ,I think not.

Footballers are people who generally have no idea what its like to exist in the “real ” world, but that is our fault for putting them up on that pedastal to begin with. It is not fair to expect one to behave outside of their nature just because they are in the public eye.

Still , everyone would be more sympathetic had he admitted his mistake (like his cohorts) and paid the fine and performed 20 hours of community service.

We all know he did it, we just would like him to stand up and admit it.

Maybe I am cynical , but I am not surprised when a story like this comes along , and a celebrity just wont admit that they “screwed the pooch”.

If you are angered by this story here is what you do : Live your life to a higher standard, and we all make mistakes, so lets admit to our own, and forgive others for their mistakes.

Beacause he his a world famous footballer, we should’t hold him to a higher standard, but its ok to be a little dissapointed he did not handle this with the class of a “stand up ” guy.

His reputation will take a hit for this, maybe people will see he is not a role model , but a footballer who can make mistakes like the rest of us.

I will still cheer his heroics on the pitch, as long as he wears the Red shirt.

Just admit your mistake next time Stevie.

YNWA

17. Pip says:

The same thing happens in every town centre every Saturday night and nothing happens.
    As usual the media has blown this out of all proportion.

18. george says:

You would like everyone to shut up WOULD YOU JB123.Your kind are always looking for justice and “the truth” but the truth obviously hurts you and your corrupt football club.

19. ITFC1st says:

Once more we have been reminded that British justice is the best in the world. God save the Queen and all that. Huh!!

20. Pat the rat says:

Trial should have been held in Norwich

21. Gaz says:

I’m not going to comment on if he is guilty or not. I think we all can basically agree he probably is.

But like someone said above, let’s put this in perspective.

He got in a bar fight. Just a bar fight. Something that happens all the time to ordinary people.

If you’re mate got in a bar fight, would you expect him to go to jail for years (as some suggest) or losing his job for getting in a bar fight? No… you’d expect a hefty fine and / or community service (maybe a night in the cell for good measure).

I don’t want to hold him above the law at all. However, he also shouldn’t be punished more than one of us would if we were in his shoes.

22. Disgusted says:

Gerrard is typical football celeb, needs his boyfriends to help fight his battles and he only steps in to land some woossy punches when the bloke is almost down…….what a chicken_ _ _t coward!
    Some role model….money talk regarding verdict.

23. Mark says:

It’s disgusting that he got off. The evidence is there for all to see. I really don’t understand the law in the country. If anything, stars like him should be punished more to set an example but instead they have just shown every young soccer fan you can go around hitting people and get away with it.

Gerrard went over to him, Gerrard hit him. How can he not be guilty when the evidence is all there? Were all the jury Liverpool fans? It disgusts me