SAT, 8:45AM ET
SOU
SAT, 11AM ET
STO
WHU

Honduras 0-2 USA: Young Yanks Headed to Final

012813675968200 300x164 Honduras 0 2 USA: Young Yanks Headed to Final

Clarence Goodson has become a monster on set pieces since leaving MLS to go to Scandinavia a year and a half ago. Had Bruce Arena still been coaching the US, he may not have noticed this. But Bob Bradley has, and Goodson’s strength and accuracy on Stuart Holden’s late first half corner kick turned an even game into a USA rout.

Stuart Holden was brilliant playing a freer #10 role than Bob Bradley has allowed him to play thus far in this tournament. In the first 30 minutes,  it seemed the Hondurans may have the advantage tonight. But the US eventually took control.

The next two matches will define the progress for the United States to this point. Despite playing a hodgepodge squad of second tier players, Mexico, the likely US final opponent is playing with a similarly young and inexperienced team.

Of the Mexican Gold Cup roster, only Gio Dos Santos, and Gerrado Torrado can be considered sure fire first teamers. With Rafa Marquez injured it is possible the US will see Jonny Magallon twice in the next few weeks. Magallon scored twice against the US last year in Houston both in the air on set pieces.

Mexico’s first team has fallen far below the US and perhaps even Honduras at the top of CONCACAF. (I believe Costa Rica is 4th or even 5th in the pecking order but boasts an amazing home field advantage at Saprissa.) But Mexico’s depth should still be better than the USA’s. When two “B” teams play, El Tri should be the favorite.

Then next month the US goes to Azteca. That will be the biggest test of all. In the unlikely event that Costa Rica wins tonight, the USA will be overwhelming favorites in the final.

You can also check out our live blog for updates on Mexico-Costa Rica.

PLAYER RATINGS

Perkins 8

Heaps 6

Marshall 6

Goodson 7

Pearce 8

Rogers 6

Beckerman 5

Pause 5

Holden 8

Ching 5

Arnuad 5

Quaranta 6

Cooper 7

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, US National Team. Bookmark the permalink.

About Kartik Krishnaiyer

View all posts by Kartik Krishnaiyer →

11 Responses to Honduras 0-2 USA: Young Yanks Headed to Final

1. Lars says:

Hah, ‘Mexico, the likely US opponent.’

Should be written as:
    Mexico, the team that could give up three goals in the first half and would come back on four penalty calls/blatently offisde goals to make it into the US-Mexico Final.

2. Lars, I wrote that counting on Costa Rica to be down to 8 men like the last time they played Mexico in the Gold Cup! Remember that?

3. eplnfl says:

Back from the game and going to watch the Mexico game but want to say two things now. Of all the US games I have now seen in person this left me the most satisfied. To see a group of players, who will never make the “A” team, except for maybe three or four, play like they did was extremely satisfying. They played with great teamwork and spirit. Bob Bradley great work.

My best moment was that after the game I went over to FSC broadcast booth which I was seated close to. Christopher Sullivan was signing autographs in breaks he had during the post game show. Most of the fans in front of me where asking him to sign Mexican team jerseys. When he saw my Team USA hat he made a special effort to take the hat and signed it for me. Chris your my man! I did apologize to the guy in front of me. More later.

4. Mexican Football says:

epl, why didn’t you stay for the Mexico game? It was a slobberknocker.

Where did the US fans go during the Mexico game? It seems they were replaced by Mexican fans in Sam’s Army’s section. I thought 1 ticket was for both games.

5. LI Matt says:

So who’s joining me in the Swamp on Sunday?

6. Joey Clams says:

Beckerman still impressed, though. Some of his turns were outstanding. By the way, he is the player who, through his strides and posture and way of looking to the sides- not through his hair and rattiness, most reminds me of Valderrama.

7. eplnfl says:

Mexican Football, my guess is that many of the Sam’s Army people came from a distance and headed out early and Mexican fans took their seats. Chicago as you may know is famous for it’s various ethnic groups. Last night there were a good number of couples in the stands who were split between the US and Mexico. I have never seen so many Mexico fans also cheer on the USA team as I did last night. Thats a great thing. Every final should be USA v. Mexico and played in Chicago. lol!

As for me, having to wake up at 5:00am to get to the gym and then the office makes me go home early. With the one hour wait between games it allows me to get home to see most the second game which was a great one. Some great games in Chicago yesterday, as many people will know a perfect game on the South Side.

8. Rex says:

I know im a homer, but have you ever rated Ching higher than a 5 or 6? I will admit that I only was able to casually watch the game so I didn’t see everything, but I did see Ching get his 3rd ‘hockey assist’ of the tournament.

9. Fire Bob Bradley says:

If I were doing the ratings, Ching wouldn’t even get a 5 or 6. He’s a total waste of space. Totally useless. How Bradley can justify starting him over Cooper or Davies is just flat out sickening and makes you wonder if BB is still simply a glorified MLS coach with no tactical sense and no clue how to select players without playing favorites.

10. Berlin says:

FBB, that’s ridiculous. Were you watching another game? As Rex pointed out Ching was pivotal on that second goal and threatened in the air all night. Not to mention the fact that his hold up play is the reason that Arnaud, Cooper, Davies, Holden and everyone else has room to move up front. Keep saying fire BB even after the results we’ve just had. Do you complain for the sake of it or do you just hate winning?

11. soccer goals says: