Lopez set for Swansea as Scotland departure is confirmed
Swansea City’s busy summer is showing little sign of slowing down after Spanish midfielder Jordi Lopez agreed a two-year deal with the Championship club.
The 28 year old will be new manager Paulo Sousa’s first signing and joins on a free transfer, after former club Queens Park Rangers failed to meet his wage demands. Lopez was originally brought to QPR by Paulo Sousa and has also played for a number of La Liga clubs including Barcelona, Real Madrid and Sevilla.
Lopez is in Swansea today to complete a medical and should sign in time to take part in the club’s week long pre-season tour of Spain which gets underway on Tuesday. Not taking part in the tour is Jason Scotland, after the 30 year old striker received international clearance for his move to Wigan. Scotland finished as the Swans’ top scorer for the last two seasons but has followed former manager Roberto Martinez to the JJB Stadium, after the two sides agreed a £2million deal.
The Trinidad and Tobago international scored 53 goals in just 91 starts at Swansea and could prove difficult to replace, however Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins told the club website that the money from the transfer will be reinvested.
“Obviously we are disappointed to lose Scotland” said Jenkins.
“I can assure our fans that all the funds received from the sale of Jason will be reinvested into the club. We will endeavour to do that before the season starts.”
Swansea are said to be closing in on a new striker but Sousa says he is just as concerned about trimming his squad.
“Many new faces? No,” Sousa said last week. “Of course we are looking for some new players to come and help us, but not so many.
“We don’t need that many. Like I said, I want to reduce the squad. I don’t want a big squad, but I want to increase the intensity of my training.”