WED, 12PM ET
JUV2
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV0
MON1

Defending Krishnaiyer, We Do Have A Problem

200px MLS Logo.svg Defending Krishnaiyer, We Do Have A Problem

Let’s sit down and discuss this situation like grown adults here. I understand what everyone wants and what everyone is looking for. But to be frank and it’s very true what Kartik says, just because there is great football across the Atlantic doesn’t mean we have to ignore our league or leagues here in the United States. It doesn’t mean that if we change the way our game is played to all the things that Europe does that everyone will all of a sudden sign on to MLS or the USL.

We have been very critical of the structure of MLS in all of their dealings as well as their stingy salary cap and how players are acquired, etc. etc. etc. but it doesn’t mean we have to ignore it like it doesn’t exist. I have a good feeling you do know it’s here and you just simply don’t want to be apart of it. It’s too easy to support a Euro side than not to support an MLS or a USL side. Do you think everyone in Europe only cares about their National Team and not their own league? Of course not, but sadly over here there is a problem and that is something that can’t & shouldn’t happen.

It’s not about being a communist if you support only a Euro side and not an MLS or a USL side that you have no right to comment on things inside US Soccer, but to be fair it’s not supporting the sport here in the States that gets people like Kartik upset. A long time ago someone said MLS should shut down completely and all the good American players should move to Europe. Well how would that be possible if the scouts from Europe never come here finding the top players in the league to play in. So many times we have heard comments from this website or comments from other websites simply cutting down our leagues, saying what’s not true to the facts where some people don’t want to hear the facts at all.

But being from the New York City area it’s not just hearing this argument as well, there is another side to the story that no one knows. It’s the story about people still hoping for the return of that NASL powerhouse of the New York Cosmos. Bringing back the name of that great side that had the likes of Pele, Beckenbauer, Chignalia, Roth, Messing & so on. With their recent play in MLS Red Bull NY has looked horrible & disgustingly bad. Ever since they bought the MetroStars some of the supporters all of a sudden assumes the owner of the club doesn’t care about this MLS side and only cares about using it as advertising for their product. While I’m not happy with the way the club has performed, I won’t join the mob of miss-information that they assume the people in Salzberg doesn’t care about the club here in the New York City Area. There is a football stadium being built in Harrison, NJ and it’s not for their trick bikers, skateboards or there flutag events. What if the name Cosmos did come back to MLS, don’t expect them to sign all the top players of Europe and have them come over. Those people who remember the glory days will be gone in a heartbeat.

So finishing this report I have to say that there is still work to be done to make our respective leagues become great. That means supporting your respective sides from whatever city or state you live in. I won’t try to tell you that it’s equal to the leagues in Europe, because it’s not. But still it doesn’t hurt to support both a Euro club side and an MLS or USL side because it’s a win-win situation. But if both leagues fall, then our National Team program falls and everything goes back to square one and that will be joyous news for the anti-football supporters inside the USA as well as the Anti-USA Supporters from outside the country.

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Major League Soccer. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Defending Krishnaiyer, We Do Have A Problem

1. remember dasiam says:

I should be an MLS fan. I grew up playing suburban youth soccer in one of the so called American hotbeds of the game, and I speak Spanish. Plus I’m a high income, Europhile Obama yuppie who will probably be deported when the Red State baseball/football demographic returns to power.

But the problem is the Internet. It’s too easy to read about the Euro powers and follow their tournaments, plus it’s also just more fun to be following events which are followed passionately all over the world. (From an Indian friend in Mumbai’s twitter feed, during the Champion’s final: “Messi, Gooooal!”)

Query: Does anyone in India care about the Fire’s 2-1 win over the Rapids? Does anyone in Chicago?

Moreover, there’s the problem of the actual product on the field. I’ve tried watching some MLS games this season and it’s just like, “Put me in coach.” I would never think that I could sub into, for example, an NBA game, so why should I pay to watch such forgettable talent?

And come to think of it, why is it so important to develop a world class soccer league here? Who would care if Norway or Denmark canceled their first league? They’d all just watch Serie A on satellite anyhow, as should we.

So whatever the reason, I just can’t get excited about MLS, and I look forward to it becoming as marginalized as the National Lacrosse League and the XFL.

2. adambchildress says:

Great artical. I do follow MLS and support Seattle Sounders and Charleston Battery of the USL though I am in Detroit. However what I do not like is the slinging of the term Eurosnob. I prefer almost every aspect of English Football and fandom. Im not racist, my wife is chinese, and I have alot of different frends….in person the cowbells and drums arnt to annoying but on tv when your trying to draw in new people, it seems childish. Second, though I follow the leagues here, I cant fault people who have at lkeast tried to watch MLS but have sided against supporting the league because to be honest alot of the games are hard to watch not only for the trumpets and drums, but because of the many errant passes, constant longball turnovers, and little individual efforts. I support the league because its our own and I hope to one day have a team here in Detroit, but if we are about growth and garnering new fans we need to change the way we do things. The flares in the stands and things like that to me detract from the game and the game should be the most importent thing going on.

3. Berlin says:

I’m with you Feuerstein, I don’t get the animosity towards MLS. I get that MLS isn’t top-tier football, but it’s ours. I followed soccer before the Dynamo came to town, but I didn’t ravenously scour the internet everyday for football updates until I had a team to call my own. It’s one thing to pick a team and root for them a thousand miles away, it’s something else entirely to have group of guys that you’ve met, watched week in and week out fight for YOUR hometown. The Euro leagues have a 100 years on MLS. Give it some time, give it a chance, and don’t root for the home side to fail. Who does that? If you don’t like it, don’t watch. How does it help the sport in America or abroad to actively seek the demise of the one league that actually gives a sh’t about us and not just our dollars.

That said, I enjoy seeing Red Bull NY in pain. It’s Karma burning them for torching us last post-season. On the other hand, Newcastle being relegated for the first time in 20yrs…don’t really care because it doesn’t affect me.

4. I think kartik is always on the ball, minus some back and forth he sometimes tends to have, but this site is my main news for anything soccer related to america and the concacaf. that being said yes mls is not top euro quality but if people came out and actually vested some interest and teams actually made money from games and lets be honest the league is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be, stop pretending as if its the lowest of the low. If teams made money the cap might be raised, and then you might stop complaining but thats on everyone that doesn’t follow the sport here.

5. eplnfl says:

Good for you for standing up Dan. You make the best of points by reminding everyone that without MLS beating Spain would be a dream for the national team and putting players on the big Euro teams would bring a laugh.

MLS has a lot of growing up to do and economic hard times hurt development but it’s here to stay. Yes, we want more quality, more payroll, more exposure but that will come in time.

I do disagree that the internet, 24 hour soccer channels, and massive coverage of the World Cup and Euro tournament has hurt development on the domestic side. I believe that while it may create more Eurosnobs in the short run , long term it will and has increased demand for the local product. Being American’s we will want that product to be the worlds best. That may take some time but MLS could be a 10 ten league sooner then people think.

Kartik’s most important work in my opinion has been in his supporting of Concacaf football as a whole. There is a lot of good football here on this side of the pond and north of the canal. The world soccer media still manages to forget that point. By looking at the Mexican league, the Gold Cup. MLS, USL, etc., Kartik does a service to all fans and players in the region.

Sign me up for the fight.

6. Jimbo says:

U.S. citizens: please support your league…i am not in the states and i bet that i follow more MLS games than you do…if you follow your own league then i am sure it will grow in quality and quantity..you can also follow the epl or la liga if you want but please at least see the mls games on tv…by the way i am a rabid fan of houston dynamo because i lived there a few years ago and when the mls was first starting i was a Dallas fan because it was a texas team and Hugo Sanchez played there…

7. Jimbo says:

Also with your experience in having great leagues like NFL (big houston texans fan here), NBA, MLB and the like i am surprised that MLS has not grow more…

8. BC says:

Of course MLS has problems, but it is our league, I firmly believe we should support it 100%, so I firmly agree with those assessments. However, I think that the constant “Eurosnob” v MLS fan debate is getting old. The author is right on the money. We all need a dose of common sense here.

We should respect fans who want to watch the top-level of the sport (EPL, La Liga ,etc) and follow those leagues while not taking the time to follow MLS. Some folks just want to see the best, period.

I only began to follow MLS and my local side here in Columbus after being turned on to the game by following Liverpool and the EPL. I first became a fan of soccer there, then started watching MLS. Do I think the Crew can beat Liverpool? Of course not. But do I turn my nose at Columbus because they can’t win the Euro Champions League? Certainly no.

However, at the same time, needlessly bashing MLS for a lack of quality is foolish. Of course MLS isn’t a top league, it won’t be for a good number of years. But that doesn’t mean fans can’t appreciate watching it. I must say I laugh at commenters who have to bash MLS here. This is like me getting on a British Basketball League site and continuously criticizing the league. That would be quite petty and foolish wouldn’t it?

I would like to see debates on practical matters about improving our league, (besides putting a team in South Florida, which seems to be the answer to everything). How can we better MLS’s infrastructure? How does the league go about improving tactics/coaching quality? How do we get better players from abroad and keep the best Americans here? Is the league expanding too fast for its own good?

I think I and many others would welcome these discussions about our league and the game in the states instead of having to hear more about “Eurosnobs”.

9. eplnfl says:

Well said BC.

10. Daniel Feuerstein says:

BC. You are correct. We should be concentrating on topics that should help MLS become a better league. Something with the schedule, the current negotiations of the new C.B.A. between the league & the players union and hoping to raise the salary cap from where it is and somewhere it should be.

And of course discussing about which tournaments are important for MLS to be apart of and which ones they should get out of. But sometimes unfortunatly we still have to discuss these issues, because no matter who is coming on to comment on these sites, the typical childish excuse to bash our league still comes up & those people have to be informed of what they don’t know.

11. park bolivar says:

Out of curiosity, I hear a lot of people talk of the decline of MLS from 1999 to present. To what do you all attribute that? I mean, there’s more money, and more teams playing, and definitely a pretty good uptick in attendance (aside from the 2007-era Beckham-orgy). Has there been a decade-long decline in quality of play, or is it just lack of easy television access?

12. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Park Bolivar: Some believe the quality of play has dipped here and there since MLS began & a bit after the introduction of the Designated Player Rule. I think there are times it has, but most of the time it hasn’t.

A lot of armchair GM’s out there want to be proven right, but I believe that’s not the case.

13. Vnice says:

Maybe because I’m a punk…I hate following these rich boy crybabies in EPL and La Liga. MLS is *mine*…it’s *ours*.

The only foreign clubs I follow are Celtic and FC St. Pauli, partially for what they have come to stand for…anti-facist, anti-racist, left wing. I don’t follow clubs for whether or not they win.

And by the way…I have watched lots of soccer. Lower level EPL is equally as painful as anything MLS has to offer…or worse.

14. Vnice says:

BTW…

One player on Chelsea makes more than the entire Sounders payroll.

Trust me, no one said MLS would be on par with EPL. That said, I just want to know what makes watching MLS so “painful”. I see long balls in EPL, Serie A, La Liga and Bundasliga all the time.

15. LOVE FC St Pauli also, for the same reason Vnice.

16. Vnice says:

Dude, I am so buying the Celtic/St. Pauli split scarf. Plus, my wife, son, and I are all obsessed with skulls, pirates, day of the dead, just generally rockin’ imagery, so St. Pauli’s supports group is the bees knees.

17. soccer goals says:

I just wish that the salary cap was higher so we could increase the talent level.

18. Daniel Feuerstein says:

To Soccer Goals: That is the hope of the new C.B.A. Both the owners and the players want to raise it to a competitive level.

19. doug mulliken says:

vnice – what makes MLS so painful for me is not the long ball play, it’s the general lack of skill – horrible first touches, horrendous finishing, bad decision making on the ball, bad decision making when trying to win the ball back – combined with an entire league that values athleticism over ability.

additionally, every team in the league plays a 4-4-2 or 5-3-1 (or 3-5-1, depending on how you classify those two outside players… i find they tend to be wing backs as opposed to wing forwards). that’s because it works, of course, as chivas and their failed 4-3-3 in 2005 proved, but at the same time, it would be refreshing to see a team have the resources to play 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3… but the cap means no team can. that sucks.

obviously every player in MLS is a million times better than i ever will be. but compared to most other leagues in the world, the decision making and generally pathetic first touch of most players means that i am constantly saying to myself “you have got to be kidding me” when i watch MLS. the problem is the league places such a premium on athleticism that you can survive, indeed even thrive, in MLS with poor technique because you invariably end up sprinting after the ball and crashing into the opposing player… and the terrible referees don’t call the foul. don’t even get me started on the refs…

20. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Doug Mulliken: I honestly believe our Refs are horrible from the start. Sadly our football refs are Hockey refs, waiting for the make-up call or just a bunch of hot headed shmucks. I wish Pierluigi Colina would come over and teach them to be better, but sadly it’s not going to happen.

21. eplnfl says:

Maybe we can reach this conclusion and so will MLS and the networks. High level soccer sells in the US. The very fact that you saw such a rights battle over the Champions League rights, that the EPL rights are a hotly contested item, that big name Euro clubs draw large crowds here for friendlies means that American’s want top quality soccer. Tie that in with the great following of the Mexican League in the US, that the Honduran national team can bring 40,000 people to Soldier Field for a game, that the Gold Cup draws audience in the stands throughout the US and you have it figured out that the time has arrived for soccer.

22. Alejandro RUiz says:

I don’t understand, I see every game Barcelona plays. Plus a smattering of EPL and every Champions league game. Not to mention Copa Libertadores and Argentine league games.

But I have season tickets for the Fire and I keep tabs on the rest of the league. Trust me, it’s watchable. If you understand and love the sport, theres enough meat on the MLS bones to be satisfied. Sure it’s not tenderloin, but shortribs are just as tasty sometimes. Especially when theres no fucking overlap between those two whatsoever.
    That’s where the “snob” label comes from. It’s a prissy put on, to pretend you’re above it all. Like people who say they could play in the league. They wouldn’t last 10 minutes before having to be carried off a stretcher or puking their guts out.

I’ve seen a couple of Coca-Cola Championship games on Setanta, MLS is about the same quality. Perhaps you should head over to Brighton or Bristol and tell all their tens of thousands of fans than they’re wasting their time. They should only cheer the best and that means Arsenal, Chelsea, Man U and Liverpool. See what sort of reaction you get.

23. Actually I don’t think you saw much a right battle over the Champions League and I do not know if we’ll see one over the PL. ESPN spent a lot of cash on the BCS and wasn’t in the position to do anything but lowball for the UEFA CL rights. They lowballed and got beat.

The Premier League isn’t even worth talking about. With 5-7 unattractive clubs that can not compete it doesn’t make for good TV- who wants to see Hull play Stoke? Wigan play Bolton? MLS if marketed correctly could be much more useful than the PL on TV overall. Having all these bottom feeders in the PL while the traditionally strong teams like Leeds, Newcastle, Forrest, Debry, Southamption and others wallow in a division or two below makes English football less attractive than ever. The need for so many small teams to play negative football also hurts.

La Liga is where the action is for the next few years. La Liga has accumulated all the stars and not surprisingly is now on ESPN2 and ESPN 360 for English language audiences.

Keep an eye on the Bundesliga. It’s a more open and exciting league than England’s and GOL TV got the rights for a song. The league has been fiscally prudent not taking on much debt- don’t be shocked if it re-emerges as a force on TV and in world football.

24. Phil says:

First, let me begin by commenting on your endpoint. There is nothing more vital to the success of US Soccer, and even bringing European soccer to America, than the success of the MLS and USL. I love both leagues and feel pride in having my two domestic leagues. It’s hard for me to even imagine the pre-MLS days as I was born during the NASL’s death and became knowledgeable boy around the time of Nico Caricola’s own goal. However, a decade and a half later, Jozy Altidore is being loaned out by Spanish giants Villareal to Greek giants Olympiankos. Michael Bradley is being rumored to go to Everton. And Tim Howard is being heralded as one of the best of his craft. If you haven’t already realized this, all three are shining graduates of the MetroBulls and are remembered in a higher light than anything of Caricola. To sum up, MLS has grown so much over the years with major highlights from the league’s most embarrassing franchise (on and off the field).

While we need the MLS and USL, Red Bull New York has to go. I am one of the few that call for the New York Cosmos, or any name change for that matter. No, I do not want an influx or Europeans (in fact, if they signed C. Ronaldo and Kaka, I would still have a grudge against RBNY for their identity theft and major conscious crisis). Leeds, Derby, Newcastle and Forrest are all being brought up for how big they once were and where they are presently. However, all receive continual support regardless of their struggles. Over the years, the identity and loyalty of the clubs have bred loyalty amongst the fans. If I didn’t feel that Red Bull unethically stole a club from me, focused on the bottomline (the drink sales) and tried to build a stadium for their X-games events, I would be a season-ticket holder with ESC suffering through the pain I see on the field. Most said they were willing to sell their Metro identity for success on the field. How much would it be to buy it back?

Apparently Pepe Pinton is giving the Cosmos away for free…

25. remember dasiam says:

One more point is that I think “quality” as a sort of vague noun is being overused on this site, as in “…showing a lot of quality in the midfield.” I kinda know what it means, but it sounds like some kind of affected Britishism. If we’re gonna develop an American game, lets create our own American way of talking about it. At least try borrowing from Mexican commentators, not English.

26. eplnfl says:

Kartik, well made point that La Liga is pulling ahead of the EPL in general audience interest. ESPN went with the most attractive soccer option in bringing La Liga to it’s American audience. EPL take note and get your shop in order.

As many say above I fully agree that if MLS markets itself right and brings in a few names and most of those names should be American( also Latin-American) names, the league will be a very hot TV property for American networks.

27. Kevin_amold says:

Remember Dasiam- Enough already with linking conservatives to hating soccer. It’s tiresome, and boring.

28. ERT09 says:

Agreed- La Liga is it for now. At least for the next 2-3 years it’s the world superstar league and is much more open and less negative than the EPL anyhow.

29. Vnice says:

Hmmm…Red Bull NY. I am not convinced that they can’t succeed without another name. Although…they could change the name to Cosmos, and STILL keep the stadium name and a similar shirt. Just have a Cosmos crest on the chest, and the Red Bull shirt could be the corporate sponsorship type thing. New York Cosmos by Red Bull or something to that effect.

Anyway…

As for MLS being unwatchable. I am glad I don’t find it unwatchable. I am glad I am not so discerning in my tastes that MLS is unacceptable to me. It would make soccer so boring for me. So…yeah, I’m cool with being an uncultured slob here…hehe.

30. doug mulliken says:

i never said MLS was unwatchable… it’s just maddening at times.

as for RBNY – i quite like the name – “red bull new york” sounds good to me… yes, it’s commercialism at its best/worst, but at the same time, in europe you have teams like bayer leverkusen and psv that have the corporate owner’s name in the team, and nobody has a problem with it – i mean, you never hear anyone say “i hate bayer leverkusen because they have the bayer corporation in their name…”

and then there are names like CSKA, which stands for “central sports club of the army,” throughout the slavic-speaking world. that seems way worse than a corporate name…

anyway, i think red bull new york is 1000 times better than metrostars, and you can’t deny the fact that red bull is putting their money where their mouth is – thank god they bought out AEG on the stadium – i hate it when mls games are postponed at HDC because a concert or xgames or something.

31. Adam Edg says:

MLS is highly watchable and entertaining – most of the time. I would argue that the average MLS game is much more entertaining than the average match between lower-tier EPL teams any day of the week.
    Some MLS games can even be great because of the little rivaries finally popping up (NY vs LA being a good one these days). No matter how crappy some teams **cough, Red Bull, cough** have been lately, when they step up against certain teams they put on a good performance. Houston and Toronto is another great rivalry that has sprung up; DeRo’s move up north just makes it that much more intense. Superclasico is always a great time. Fire vs Crew usually stacks up there as well. When Seattle gets some company in the NW, get ready for some real intensity. Drew Carrey called it the “triangle of death,” hopefully the past rivalries carry over…
    As far as Red Bull’s name, they are named after their owners. Nothing wrong with that. Renaming them (again) would cheapen the team as a whole. If the Cosmos name was used, then it completely devalues that name as well. I still think Cosmos should be used if/when a second MLS team is granted. They have to wear green and gold, just like the NASL days. I always figured the Galaxy changed their colors b/c a new Cosmos team was in the works…

32. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Phil: I understand why everyone is screaming about with the guys in the ESC and on the Big Soccer Boards. I think it’s too late to bring the name back. At the same time if you bring the name back it’s not going to change what’s on the field now, or forever. When this club was called MetroStars (After Stubotnic’s Metromedia which was also a corporation) I didn’t mind a name change for Cosmos if it happened. I’m more concerned about those old time fans like my Uncle who keeps talking about the Cosmos might not return to another game if it’s not going to be like it was back in the NASL days.

I know Pepe Pinton who use to coach Ramapo College’s Men’s soccer team. Right now his son D.J. is the head coach. If he is saying he is willing to give up the name for free, I don’t believe that’s the case. I think he is saying it to enter negotiations with anyone who wants to start a club in the area. He held Cosmos Camps at Ramapo College during the Spring & Summer semesters. He knows how valueable that name is, he is just saying it to get some form of negotiations and then he will give his asking price.

How did Red Bull steal the club? Because of a name change? They paid alot of money for it and they have done alot more for this club then what the last two owners did. I understand this is a crap season, I understand that they should fire Jeff Agoos & Juan Carlos Osorio. Stubotnic did nothing for the club, the only thing that AEG did good for the club was to keep it afloat during the bad years of MLS with only three owners running all 10 sides. When Sakewicz was screaming for 60 to 90 days on that stadium in Harrison, NJ it was a running joke till it became a sad sight of a promise gone bad.

If you and everyone assumes that stadium in Harrison is for their trick bikers, Skateboarders, parachute team & air races but not for football, then you and everyone else is making alot of excuses on why this season has been complete crap. No I’m not following the corporate montra with Red Bull. I’m not in their pocket. I see these things very clearly. I believe not changing the coach is the wrong thing to do. I believe someone else should come in there and shake things up because the only thing that is left for saving this season is the CONCACAF Champions League and defeating W.Connection in the Qualifying Round to get it started. I think it’s time for Richie Williams to get a second bite of the apple.

Like I said, everyone is right to be angry and frustrated, but I’m not going to say that Red Bull is the problem. I’m not going to blindly join the rest of the guys on their soap boxes and say the company is the problem. One disgustingly crap season every ten years doesn’t mean it’s the owners fault.

33. Vnice says:

Aren’t Red Bull Salzburg the champions of the Austrian Bundasliga? Seems like they try and do stuff right to me.

New stadium, Juan Pablo Angel (who is a class guy and a good player), and other things that RBNY are doing right.

34. Phil says:

Thanks Daniel. That was a nice and thorough response. I also have a little skeptism about changing the name to the Cosmos. The Cosmos would unite the city like it did in the past, but there is no way they can live up to lucrative spending habits. However, I will always think that the Red Bull name has to change. If not to the Cosmos, maybe the Empire Soccer Club, the club’s initial thought for naming the team. The fact that this is still in debate almost four years after the RB takeover is proof that something isn’t working out.

Of course, this is a very bad year. But overall, RBNY has truly never had a good year. And if you dare reference last year’s MLS Cup, ask why every club’s fanbase wanted RB to lose. Not for the name, or the hatred to the ownership, but because it would’ve embarrassed the league allowing a team that didn’t have a winning record to sneak-in and steal the Cup. Referencing last year is simply referencing a poor playoff structure.

For people like me, we sold out our club for success on the field, not just a superficial stadium. And four years later, I feel that I got the short-end of the bargain. Because if this was the Metrostars, my loyalty would’ve never been stronger. There was an identity then.

35. Adam Edg says:

Phil, I cheered against RBNY because they are in New York : ) All sports teams in NY/NJ get no love from me (except the three in Long Island – Dragons b/c they were in Des Moines first; Islanders b/c Okposo played for DM Bucs; Lizards just b/c) because they are evil!!! Having a team named after corporation in New York makes perfect sense. Just like having LA sponsored by a questionable weight loss suplement makes sense (they’re shallow!).
    Aside from that little bit, I believe Red Bull really is trying to make things better. They bought AEG’s share of the stadium to remove the stage in order to emphasise that association football is the primary, if not exclusive, focus of the new stadium. They have tried a couple of different coaches. They brought Angel – who is one of the best overall in the MLS – ever. Didn’t they also bring a guy from the Austrian club to support the back line recently ? A coaching change is definitely in order and you had better believe they will try something unlike anything they’ve done so far and will continue to do so until the team wins. They invest at least $150 million (not including salaries) in the team and stadium by now; don’t think they are giving up.
    As far as the Cosmos name, it needs to go to a new team dressed in green and gold. Period. Get a new team with that name & those colors, find a way to get Pele involved & sign a marquee American name like Adu and then watch the fanbase explode…