Powered by
JUL 12 4PM ET
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

What Football Shirts Are Hiding In Your Closet?

umbro football shirt archives What Football Shirts Are Hiding In Your Closet?

There’s something beautiful about a football shirt. It’s not just the fabric, how it looks on you or what it represents. To me, it means so much more. It’s all about memories.

When you wear a new one for the first time, such as any of the new football shirts for the 2009-2010 Premier League season, it’s all about the material and the identity of your club. But after that has worn off, the shirt becomes an open book as the new season begins. The shirt absorbs the visual memories of what happens that season.

Years later when you look at that shirt in your closet, you’ll remember your memories of that season and your favorite players scoring wonderful goals in it, the agony of defeat and the ecstasy of winning three points against your arch-rivals, and hopefully the joy of celebrating when your club wins silverware.

I only have a handful of football shirts in my closet. I got rid of most of the ones I had to help finance the down-payment for the house where I’m now living in, so I’m not too sad that I no longer have them. The ones I still have, though, are my travel-team shirt from my high school days, a couple of horrible Swansea City shirts from the early 90s that are very scratchy and uncomfortable to wear, an England away shirt from the 2006 World Cup when I got caught up in the hype and thought that was going to be “their tournament,” a Miami Fusion shirt from the 2000 season which is the most sentimental shirt for me because it was the one I wore when I proposed to my now-wife on the pitch during half-time of a Fusion game, and a couple of shirts sent to me by football retailers as gifts (a Barca shirt from last season, and the new England jersey, which looks very snazzy when accompanied by a pair of blue jeans).

So, what football shirts are hiding in your closet, and what are the memories that you have attached to them? Click the comments link below and share your stories.

If you’re interested in creating your own new memories, go ahead and browse through the new Premier League jerseys from all 20 clubs. EPL Talk offers the widest selection of shirts for Premier League clubs in the US of A and overseas.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

14 Responses to What Football Shirts Are Hiding In Your Closet?

1. Shane says:

Football shirts are what it’s about for me. I have tons.

In my closet at my apartment I have 20. At my parents house there about 20 more. Ebay is a nasty thing. Anyway, the list:

Two current England away: Beckham (l/s) and Rooney
    2007/08 Holland Away: Van Der Vaart
    2008/09 AC Milan Home: Beckham
    2008 LA Galaxy Home: Beckham

and the best two:

2008/09 Leicester City Home
    2008/09 Leicester City Away

That post got me real excited! Love my footy shirts.

2. edgar says:

Wow! What a great article! I get excited about football shirts as well! Here’s my list:

Manchester United CL 40yr annivesary Ferdinand – Blue
    Manchester United Home 07/09
    Manchester United Away 07/08? – Black
    Manchester United Third 06/07? – Blue
    Manchester United Home 06/07 Cristiano Ronaldo. signed: Kenny Cooper
    Necaxa Home
    England National Team Home 07/08?
    Fc Dallas Away 06/07? Grey. Signed: various
    Tigeres UNL
    Aston Villa Home 06/07

Two most prized shirts:
    LA Galaxy MLS Cup winners Home 2005. Signed Landon Donovan
    England National Team Away 05/06? Red. Signed: Darren Huckerby

3. brn442 says:

There was no internet then, no shop in America sold shirts – that meant cutting out forms of little sportshops in the back of Shoot and Match magazines and sending bank drafts all over England. Adidas shirts were 23 pounds, Umbro’s were 27. Back then Subside sports was just a father and son operation, I used to spend hours on the phone. Calling from America at 5 in the morning, getting those shirts in the mail, the rush I would get when I opened the packages for the first time – those were the halcyon days.

I had over 200 unworn shirts since I started collecting 19 years ago, then I got a girlfriend, she needed the closet space for shoes, bags and anything that makes her look good so sold the lot on ebay a year ago.

I still held on to my Liverpool collection:

All Liverpool unworn replica shirts from 89-96 in their original bags

86 Kenny Dalglish home player shirt – the gem of my collection
    90 Rush Home player shirt
    89 Rush Away player shirt
    88 Barnes Home player shirt signed by the squad
    88 player home shirt signed by the squad
    90 player home shirt signed by squad
    A few 80′s rare adidas prototypes
    and a few Villa home shirts that I didn’t sell.
    The first shirts I ever bought was an Aston Villa 89 home shirt from a shop right here in Brooklyn, Manchester United 90 – sharp adidas and Juventus 90 Kappa UPIM home, the last I can’t remember – they are just not fun to collect anymore.

4. Shakira says:

US Home Shirt 2008
    Derby County Away Shirt 2006
    Derby County Home Shirt 2007 -I however will never wear it again as to remember the season from hell it represents
    Manchester United 2002
    Hibernian 2007

5. Dave G says:

Ireland Euro 88 Home and Away
    USSR Euro 88 Red with CCCP on front
    Holland Euro 88
    Germany Euro 88
    Ireland WC 94 #7 Andy Townsend
    loads of Man Utd replicas from the 90′s
    Celtic 2004/05 signed by the team including Juninhio

6. Bojangles says:

robbie keane #7 liverpool

bahhhhhhhhhhhh

feel like taking it out and burning it

7. deckylees says:

2001-02 Celtic away
    2003-05 Chelsea home
    2004 Republic Of Ireland home
    2005-06 Chelsea home
    2006-08 Chelsea home
    2006-07 Chelsea away
    2006-07 Celtic away
    2006-07 Real Madrid away (Beckham)
    2007-08 Chelsea away & 3rd
    2007-08 Celtic home, away
    2008-09 Chelsea home, away & 3rd
    2009- Republic Of Ireland away

8. Gaz says:

Jesus you people have a lot of shirts!

England home 2003, England home 2006, and the new home one (that is, by the way, the best footy shirt ever).

Liverpool home 1992, home 1988, 3rd / Euro 2007, current home, and I just got the current 3rd.

9. edgar says:

I would love to update one of my shirts in my closet that has to go in my most valuable collection: Aston Villa home shirt: Signed by Juan Pablo Angel. I had the fortune of having my Aston Villa shirt signed by Angel this weekend at the FC Dallas game! FC Dallas won 2-1! The one goal from NY Red Bulls by Juan Pablo Angel.

10. jon-jon says:

yeah i got ride of a few but the ones i have left are

94 jamaica
    94 england away
    94 man utd away blue/white strip
    01 england home
    03 man utd home
    06 england home
    06 southend home
    08 england home
    09 man utd home

11. martin says:

Hi people. I have more of a question than anyting. I have a Liverpool away shirt from the 1998-2000 season signed by 16 members of the squad, which i will be selling soon. would anyone be interested or could anyone recomend a good site for me to try and sell it. I have tried e-bay but to no avail, would really appreciate some help!

12. Sewelly says:

Newcastle 07/09 Home Shirt
    Newcastle 04/07 Home Shirt
    Newcastle 04/05 Away Shirt
    Newcastle 95/96 Home Shirt
    Hartlepool Home 05/07
    Hartlepool Home 08/09
    Man City Home 04/06
    Celtic Home 04/06
    Celtic Home 07/08
    Rangers Home 07/08
    Hearts Home 08/09
    Inter Home 03/04
    Roma Away 07/08 (80th Anniversary)
    Napoli Home 08/09
    Fiorentina Home 08/09
    Real Mallorca Home 04/05
    Las Palmas Home 04/05
    Barcelona Away 05/06
    Sparta Prague Home 04/05
    England Home 05/07
    Netherlands Away 04/05
    San Marino Home
    Croatia Home 08/10
    Finland Home 08/09 (Litmanen #10)
    Denmark Away 08/09
    Switzerland Home 08/09 (Barnetta #16)
    Latvia Home 08/09
    Czech Republic Home 08/09
    Austria Home 08/09
    FC Barcelona home 08/09 (Ibrahimovic #9)

13. madschester United says: