What Premier League Club Should You Support?

ESPN columnist Bill Simmons wrote a now famous article a couple of years ago entitled “Choosing My EPL Team.” At the time, it caused quite a stir. Many Brits were shocked and surprised to learn that there were people out there picking a Premier League team for the first time. But, for many people newly introduced to the sport and league, how else was someone supposed to choose a team?

Now, thanks to the website Hunch.com, they have a widget that helps you pick your team. Answer the series of questions below to find out which team you’re best suited for.

What major football/soccer club should I support? – make thousands more decisions on Hunch.com

Me? I answered all of the questions truthfully and expected to be told that I should support my favorite team, Swansea City. But the bloody widget picked Arsenal for me.

Which team did it pick for you and did you agree or disagree with the result? Click the comments link below and share your thoughts.

Thanks to Kent Nevitt for the story tip.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

20 Responses to What Premier League Club Should You Support?

1. Funnily enough, I ended up with Man United, when I’m actually a Man City fan!

2. NHFC says:

People who are new to the sport need to start watching football, and follow at least one football show a week, or follow skysports/BBC online. The drama/story behind the sport should be just as important when you make a life-long commitment.

This hunch dot com business is a disgrace! It’s a pathetic gimmick and a joke for ANY subject matter let alone the sacred one at hand!

I’m a united fan since the age of 10 and it suggested ARSEnal :/
    that’s not even the worst, it’s the questions … It looked like they were put together by a person who hasn’t the slightest clue about football.

As a joke it’s fine, but of anyone takes this seriously I’d have to question their intelligence :/

• jm says:

On the other hand – do people need good reason to support their club? Most of us support teams simply by happenstance – region we live, team our parents followed, the first one we saw on tv as kids, the one friends got us into, etc. For most sports fans (of any sport), supporting one’s team is not a matter of rational choice. That’s why we refuse to change teams come hell or high water! (Keep in mind, the rational thing to do would be to change teams so that we always support the best team, but that’s against the ethos of being a fan.)

Something like this is clearly a diversion – and at best meant for people who are not currently fans. I don’t think there is the presumption that established fans will change their teams. But if someone is new and they need to pick a a team? Well, I think pretty much any reason at all is fine (including hunch.com). After all, the reason is not important – sticking with the team is.

3. United Amanda says:

It looks like they don’t really know too much about the sport – but I’ve been a Man United fan for years and that’s what it gave me. Although when answering the silly questions I did try to figure out what answer would be what club.

Deciding what club to support is a lifelong commitment and you can’t really make that without watching them play.

4. Kevin says:

See I think what Amanda said is dead wrong. I don’t think you should decide what club to support after watching them play. By then you know if the team is good, the players, and anything said about them in match commentary including their position in the standings. When I became a fan of the game, I had never seen an EPL match.

I picked a team with nearly no knowledge of who teams were. Except for not picking ManU because they are my vision of the Yankees, I had no clue what the big 4 was, knew relegation existed but didn’t know the teams in danger of it, and had little to no idea of history. I think picking a team is important if you want to follow the game, but doing so after watching the games means you are going to pick the favorites.

5. Joao says:

Simmons’ system was a lot better. The person choosing an EPL team for the first time is one who is basically new to the sport. They are not going to know (or be able to discern) what style of game they like to watch. They are going to choose a team based on the factors that Simmons laid out, almost all of which are aesthetic, not technical: history/tradition of the team, winning records (for most people, they have to pick a team that is neither the Yankees or the Royals, meaning, not dominant nor completely hopeless), coolness of the kits, attractiveness of the city the team plays in, etc. Those are more important to the new fan than whether the team plays an attacking style.

6. Raatze says:

I got drawn in after the last WC.

I ruled out only two clubs to start – Man. U. and Chelsea. Both seemed to me to be too similar to the teams that I had learned to despise as a Philly sports fan and UNC alum (Yankees/Braves/Cowboys/Duke).

I read and Youtubed everything about the other clubs that I could get my hands on and watched the ’06-07 season (other than Man. U. and Chelsea matches) as a neutral.

By January my list was down to 6: Liverpool (history, every game seemingly a nailbiter), Arsenal (style of play), Everton (scrappy, seemingly overperforming small budget club), Villa (ditto), Wigan (ditto, only cubed), and Fulhamerica! (obvious reasons)

I made my (well-documented) choice at the end of the year, but retain a soft spot for the others as well as for the two seemingly biggest underdog clubs, Hull and Burnley.

7. Joao says:

Kevin,

I don’t think you are wrong, excatly, but not entirely right either. See, true fan passion is often hard to generate (it is for me). You can pick a team and decide to follow them, but for some reason, the spark never develops and maybe you keep following, but by rote, not by genuine interest. It happened to me with teams from EPL and the Brazilian league (where I currently live). I picked a team, and then for one reason or another, didn’t develop true affection for that team, and eventually gravited to another team. The way it happened in the EPL was, I picked Blackburn, decided to follow them, etc. My first year, they showed them on my cable system like 4 times (and I had to miss two of those). So right off, I couldn’t really get into them because I only saw them twice. But I was able to watch Newcastle a few more times and for some reason started developing a greater interest in them and in the end I came to accept that I was a fan of Newcastle and not Blackburn. In the Brazilian leakgue I had chosen Cruzeiro. I liked their jersey, I liked their name, and even though Belo Horizonte is nothing to write home about, one of my favorite places in the world is one hour away, the little town of Ouro Preto, so I knew I had to pick a team from BH. One time I was in BH for business on the weekend of the Classico Mineiro, Cruzeiro-Atletico Mineiro. I found a bar to watch the game and the place was packed with Cruzeiro fans. Well, Cruzeiro won something like 6-0, it was one of the worst defeats in Atletico’s history and the Cruzeiro fans at the bar were overjoyed, arrogant, bombastic (as they had every right to be). I felt bad for Atletico. So naturally, I switched sides on the spot. It was like love at first sigh. I guess I can’t help myself, I fall for the hardcases. The next day I stopped by the team store and bought a jersey and have since bought another and follow the team with a passion. In a few other leagues picking a team beforehand has worked and those teams have stuck (Racing Club in Argentina, Atletico Madrid in La Liga). But my point is, sometimes picking a team beforehand works and sometimes it doesn’t and you have to be open to switching sides, particularly if its early in your league-following career.

8. özer says:

Arsenal
    Barça
    Liverpool

9. thomas says:

My adventure in English football began early 2003 when i heard about Championship Manager on some TV show on addicting video games. I obtained myself a copy of CM4 soon after and once i sorted out the general idea behind it I searched for a club in the Third Division that had a fancy stadium and player to speed up the climb to the top. That club of course was Hull City. City became, through CM, my club. Of course, besides looking at BBC sports for lower league scores, my interested couldn’t find much to grasp on to and I kept my eye on Chelsea who I could watch on TV. Then they got the boring boring money and i became impartial to the Prem. Until last summer when the playoff results made me smile uncontrollably for a week. Now i can watch my team and had a good few months being able to brag. Hopefully next season won’t end with me sitting on the floor, rocking, pulling my hair, and reducing myself to listening intently to the crowd in the stadium for a collective groan.

10. Victoria says:

Which UK Premiership Team Should I Support? <– better quiz. Mostly due to the fact that it only deals with the EPL teams

But for the other quiz I got Arsenal.
    Nope. Rejected.

11. Harry says:

It’s easy – you should support the club you were born closest to. Here’s a handy little map tool to help you find out the answer -just enter your postcode and press the button: http://www.footyroots.co.uk

12. Duncan says:

I got arsenal and ive supported them 4 ages! c’mon!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Bunton says:

Randomly I got
    1 – Galatasaray S.K. a turkish team
    2 – Santos (Brazil)
    3 – Arsenal the only EPL team

As a recent fan of the EPL from America I can’t bring myself to root for any of the big 4. I guess I naturally root for Everton and Fulham (with their obvious US ties). I like Everton better even though LD could be gone from the team soon. Though we will see about the MLS soon enough.

14. Jonathon says:

Real madrid. No. SWANSEA ARE AWESOME! :D
    as well as
    CAMBRIDGE UNITED
    WEST BROM
    manchester united somtimes
    BARCELONA

15. Mike Austin says:

I am currently “picking” an EPL team, and have been leaning towards Arsenal.
    The widget gave me:
    Arsenal
    F.C. Girondins de Bordeaux
    São Paulo FC

I’ll likely follow and support Arsenal this season, and see if the team sticks with me. I agree with a poster above that sometimes a spark develops and sometimes it doesn’t, so we’ll see what happens.

16. Robert Staggers (aka Captain Spyro) says:

When I first started following European football, I followed Liverpool because of one of the owners; George Gillett. I followed him after he bought controlling of the NASCAR team formerly known as Evernham Motorsports and as a result, became a big fan of both football and hockey (he owned the Habs at that time as well). I followed the team well enough, but there were some things that turned me off. The fans were one, but I can’t blame them. As one editor said, the team is just too personal and one really can’t just casually be a fan of them.

Saying that, after last year I went soul searching. I watched the Champions League final between Inter Milan and Bayern Munich and found myself attracted to the style played by the German giants. Even though they fell to the counter-attacking style of Jose Mourinho’s side, Bayern seemed a lot more controlling. That isn’t what always wins big games, but you don’t have to be a big winner to be attractive. That’s one reason why I follow the Seattle Sounders of the MLS. When they play a great game, you KNOW it.

I became a Bayern fan after that game, and after some research. One other thing that attracts me is their financial standing. Without a big sugar daddy (Chelsea, Man City, Real Madrid) and without going into huge debt (Man United, Liverpool, Barcelona), Bayern are still a force in Europe AND are in fantastic financial setting. They play great football and know how to control their finances without going overboard. Those two are key factors that I look at.

And while I know all football clubs splash a bit of arrogance here and there, Bayern seem to be one of those with some class. To see the opposite, look at Real and Barca.

After following Liverpool at first and even contemplating Man City, Arsenal just might be the team I am looking for. They won’t be displacing Bayern, but I can’t justify NOT having an ENglish side to cheer for.

One more thing: On almost every test I took, Arsenal was always the top English club.

PS: I had the same experience in hockey. I went in a fan of the Habs, but have now became a fan of the Ducks and Penguins. Fancy that!

17. twin says:

Funny…the widget picked Real Madrid, Tottenham Hotspur and some other non-EPL team.

The funny part (to me) is I’m a Spurs supporter