SAT, 8:45AM ET
SOU
SAT, 11AM ET
STO
WHU

ESPN Announces Coverage Plans for World Cup 2010

espn logo1 300x225 ESPN Announces Coverage Plans for World Cup 2010

In a press release sent out within the past hour, ESPN has detailed it’s plans for World Cup 2010 coverage.The most refreshing piece of news is that all coverage will be provided on air from South Africa. Bob Ley who was ESPN and ABC’s lead US National Team play by play announcer for many years returns to studio duty for this World Cup and Chris Fowler of College Gameday fame joins the team.

While on the whole a major upgrade over the coverage for World Cup 2006, the dropping of Rece Davis who has been the studio host for the last three major International Football Tournaments on ESPN or ABC in favor of Mike Tirico is a bitter pill to swallow for a true football fans. Tirico is a professional having done a credible job on ABC’s Golf Coverage when he replaced Roger Twibell years ago in addition to his work on American team sports. But Davis is also a consumate professional and has demonstrated his quality on air with his work in previous major football tournaments.

ESPN will show all 64 matches of the tournament live and in HD oneither ABC, ESPN or ESPN 2.

Here are ESPN’s Coverage Plans:

* SportsCenter at the FIFA World Cup;
* World Cup Live – the daily, 30-minute news, highlights and analysis program (30 episodes) aired each night of the tournament on ESPN or ESPN2;
* Live 30-minute pre-match, halftime (15 min.) and post-match shows on ABC, ESPN and ESPN2;
* World Cup segments on ESPNEWS, First Take on ESPN2, and Outside the Lines.
Also from the ESPN Press Release:

In the United States, ESPN, ESPN2 and ABC will combine to present high definition coverage of all 64 matches of the 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa June 11 – July 11, 2010. Beyond its English-language exclusive coverage in the U.S., ESPN Inc. is a World Cup rights-holder in Brazil (ESPN Brazil) and in the ESPN Star Sports (ESS) territories of India, Pakistan, The Maldives, Bhutan, Sri Lanka, Bangladesh, Nepal and the Middle East.

About Kartik Krishnaiyer

View all posts by Kartik Krishnaiyer →

23 Responses to ESPN Announces Coverage Plans for World Cup 2010

1. Juan-John says:

FWIW, the WaPo’s Goff Soccer Insider calls ESPN’s Sunday Confed Cup final broadcast “what is believed to be its largest audience for a non-World Cup men’s soccer game ever.”

2. Juan-John says:

And Goff is now reporting that Sunday’s game garnered a preliminary 2.7 rating:

3. I got a text that we got a 2.8 overnight. The truth is 2.7 is probably right. As these ratings are adjusted they tend to go down.

4. Juan-John says:

Which would make it around 3 million actual viewers, right?

So when I think of soccer’s position in the USA, and see that the UEFA Champions League Final (on a weekday) got a million and change, that’s gotta be good, right…?

5. Juan-John says:

Whoops — apparently that doesn’t include Univision’s numbers, which coulda been a lot higher.

6. Yeah, waiting for the Univision numbers. According to Goff, on ESPN, Miami/Ft Lauderdale was the top market. I’m guessing on Univision it will be LA.

7. Lars says:

Not bad actually, for a sport that’s even less visible in the US than hockey at the professional level, it nearly matched the NHL Stanley Cup Finals on English TV alone. Once the spanish coverage is included, it will surpass it. I think that’s success.

8. Tirico isn’t a soccer guy, I think Rece Davis would be a better choice.

9. eplnfl says:

Sounds to me that ESPN is bringing some of it’s heavy hitters. Tirico is a professional and ESPN’s go to guy. Having him on board the WC coverage means the ESPN is serious about it’s coverage and expects a large audience.

Same words for Fowler. This is all good news.

10. George H says:

I agree on Davis. His work on this tournament and the Euros was very good. He was a much needed upgrade over Steve Bunin who they tried to use that first day of the Euros.

11. Fire Bob Bradley says:

Mike Tirico? Are you joking?

12. HJAORM says:

All games called from on site. WOO HOO!

13. Potomitan says:

Great news! ESPN brings out all the heavy guns

14. David says:

Let’s hope that they don’t use those American commentators with their poor commentary!

15. Andy says:

Please tell me they aren’t going to have Brent Mussberger doing coverage at the World Cup again. He is completely clueless.

16. JC says:

Any idea if ESPN will be showing any replays of the Cup matches each day? Some of us have to work.

• The Gaffer says:

JC, no official news yet, but I can guarantee they’ll replay the games each night on one or more of the ESPN networks.

17. Lars Brennan says:

Hey, I’ll be in USA when the world cup is being broadcast. I see all 64 games will be available on TV stations – but is this national coverage? I have a comcast system with quite a few channels; I’m worried my version of ABC is a localised one that won’t show the games!

18. Rich says:

The whole World can’t wait and is really looking forward to the World Cup to Start in South Africa!
    That’s the good news, the bad news is in the USA the TV Network ESPN (English Soccer Propaganda Network) will be covering the whole world cup with only non-American Commentators.
    ESPN has fired and replaced all their AMERICAN Commentators with the very crude American hating English. which means that all the opportunities which come to every country with the World Cup will not be given to any Americans in America. ITS VERY SHAMEFUL!
    So I suggest we BOYCOTT ALL ESPN like they are boycotting all the Americans in America and we should watch the whole World Cup on Univision, which is a free channel on UHF.
    Please inform ALL your friend and Family to “BOYCOTT ESPN!” for Racism against ALL Americans!

• Gordon McDougall says:

I will be in my condominium in Panama City, Panama for the duration of the World Cup. Can you advise if I will receive English language commentary on CableOnda cable service which I have at my appartment.
      I receive two ESPN chanels but other than football from England, I think they are in Spanish.
      Any help you can give about how to be sure of reception would be great.
      I do not mind paying for any service I can get.

Thankyou

19. We all MUST Boycott ESPN says:

Yet again, in the USA . in a USA Game, we all had to put up with very crude British accent and all their Propaganda and non-stop brainwashing, even thou the brits had nothing at all do with anything in this game, we are forced to hear the following crap in everygame: Liverpool, Stoke, Liverpool, Chelsea, United, blag blag blag, how arrogant of the British morons to keep trying to brainwash the whole US soccer fans with crap., Its all very sick!

We must Boycott ESPN like they are Boycotting American commentators!
    What a SHAME that the very biased and Crude British/Australian 100% run FUX Network, The FUX Soccer Channel, and all Soccer on ESPN (English Soccer Propaganda Network).

ESPN has laid-off all their American commentator for the World Cup in June 2010 in South Africa and REPLACED them ALL with the very Crude SCABS from the UK.
    I guess we will have to watch all the games on univision.
    (Its high Time to BOYCOTT ESPN).

Think about it, USA will be playing in the World Cup and all the media JOB Opportunities have been given to the dead last in football, the British.

With all the Daily British Brainwashing Crap (BBC) and all their daily British Propaganda on SKY, FUX Soccer, Yahoo and ESPN: SO just how long ago did England win anything, well over 44 years ago in 1966, but even in 1966, it was a very disputed world cup, lots of cheating with refs for England and even in the Final, England got a goal which NEVER cross the goal line.

Here is the list of Championships ENGLAND has NEVER EVER, let me repeat,
    NEVER EVER WON:

European Nations Championships.
    FIFA Confederations Cup.
    FIFA U-20 World Cup,
    FIFA U-19 World Cup,
    FIFA U-17 World Cup,
    Olympics Football,
    FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup.
    Futsal World Cup.

I could go on, but you get the point.
    WOW all the daily propaganda and nothing to show for it for over 44 years.

PS: Again the only time England has ever played the USA in the world Cup. USA WON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Just so no one forgets, In the World Cup, USA has a 100% winning record against England. YES 100%.
    Can’t get better then that. And even if England get lucky against the US, the record will still be 1-1. LOL!
    I rest my Case.

• Marcus says:

@ We all MUST Boycott ESPN……………..I checked out this site because I was interested in seeing how football is viewed in the US…However, as usual, all I can see is someone ranting on about English football. Thats the beauty of football over all other sports!!!!!! So what if you beat us in the fifties… Thats the beauty of football over all other sports!!!!!! Did you progress to the knockout stage…errrr…no. Have you ever since 1930, nope. Have you ever won the World Cup…No….Have the USA ever won ANY footballing competion of note…No. The reality is that the MLS is no better than the Second Division in England…Fact. Your best players play in the Premiership….Fact. The following competions you have quoted (FIFA Beach Soccer World Cup & Futsal World Cup) we simply do not play, so why enter? As for the the Olympics, unlike the Argentinians who I believe recently won it by fielding professionals (I also believe your winning Womens team were professional)…England have always followed the Olympic ideals and fielded non-professionals.

English teams regularly win the Uefa Cup & Champions League and England has won the World Cup. So I am struggling to see your point. As for the commentators, arguably the most viewed club football is played in the Premiership so why not cross reference the related teams?…They’re good points of reference. At least with English commentators the points they make have some validity in as far as important aspects of the game are concerned, you won’t have to listen to some halfwit get excited because someone booted the ball 50 yards..and U.S viewers do not have to listen to the commentators embarrassing themselves remarking on how great ‘Micheal (yes Micheal!!!) Beckham’ is…, as in the last world cup….(amusing to say the least).
      Your comments just seem to descend into outright contrived bigotry…just to make your valid point. As for the accents…not everybody speaks like the queen, just as not everyone speaks like your President. Granted Brazil, Argentina and Germany have better World Cup pedigree, but I would hazard a guess and say that commentators speaking Portugese, Spanish or German would alienate the vast majority of viewers. However, I do understand your wanting a localised voice commentating, but from what I’ve heard when I watch MLS as I do from time to time (I watch football from EVERYWHERE) the commentators you currently have are only good for comedy value. Localised or not…viewed in reverse I simply would not want to hear an English commentator talking, for example about Baseball. He simply wouldn’t know what he was on about just because he’d read the rule book!!!!!

Football is a world game, in a way that your more popular home sports will never be (I’m not denouncing them!!). I would hazard a guess and say that the rest of the world is happy the U.S is progressing well in this World Cup…I for one throughly enjoyed watching your game against Algeria toady. The quality was lacking but team mentality won through. You’ve been missing out for far too long…Congratulations on winning the group. I hope you win your knockout grudge game against Ghana and progress (thats what football is about). It can only be good for the game in general. Lond Live the ‘beautiful’ game.

P.S The ‘dubious’ goal you mentioned in the 1966 World Cup is irrelevant as England won 4-2 :)