Throughout the years, American soccer fans have had to endure the snide remarks and abuse from the English football press and public towards America. We’ve all heard the cheap jokes at the expense of our “Mickey Mouse” league, the tiresome jibes about the term soccer and how Americans mispronounce it. As well as the jabs that the English press and football fans aim at the U.S. men’s national team and how “inferior” they are to European opposition.
Yet despite many Englishmen criticizing America, droves of them visit the States each year and then return to a country, England, that becomes more like the United States each year, consuming large quantities of American television, movies, fashion, music, food, expressions and lifestyle.
And it’s not just the English media or football supporters who land on American shores each year. Plenty of Premier League footballers, managers and executives make the trek each year for their rest and relaxation.
For example, here are just a few highlights:
- David Moyes is currently in Florida on vacation,
- Michael Ballack and his wife were snapped on the sands of Miami Beach this week,
- Cristiano Ronaldo has been partying it up in Los Angeles,
- Wes Brown, Danny Simpson and Jermaine Pennant were spotted in The Palms Casino in Las Vegas last weekend,
- Djibril Cisse and Samir Nasri have been galavanting on the sand of Miami Beach,
- Tom Huddlestone and Aaron Lennon are vacationing on Miami Beach,
- Frank Lampard has been sunning it up in Las Vegas, and
- Cesc Fabregas was in New York City.
And these are just the footballers we know about. I can guarantee that there are countless others roaming the streets of New York, Miami, Las Vegas and Los Angeles without us even knowing it.
In previous years, Thierry Henry – when he played for Arsenal – frequently visited Miami and New York on vacation. And former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein has also visited Miami.
Sadly, for many of us in the United States, myself included, the closest we’ll get to seeing a Premier League footballer up-close on our home turf is when they’re partying and relaxing on vacation in this country.