This Wednesday’s Champions League Final will be a mix of emotions both on and off the pitch. Reason being is that it’ll be ESPN’s last coverage of the Champions League before they hand the “keys” over to Fox Soccer Channel and Setanta Sports for next season. After broadcasting the Champions League for 15 years, I for one will definitely miss ESPN’s coverage.
ESPN has plenty in store for soccer fans. Here’s the scoop:
- ESPN’s team will feature commentator Derek Rae, analyst Tommy Smyth and reporter Dave Roberts. All three will be in Rome for the game,
- TV coverage of the game begins at 2:25pm ET on ESPN, not ESPN2, on Wednesday, May 27, 2009
- ESPN2 will broadcast a Champions League Final Preview Show on Tuesday, May 26, 2009 at 7:30pm ET on ESPN2. The show will feature presenter Adrian Healey discussing the final with pundits Janusz Michallik, Shaka Hislop and Robbie Mustoe as well as reports from Rome.
- The match will be shown in high-definition on ESPN,
- SportsCenter, leading into the match, will feature segments on the Champions League from Noon to 3pm ET
- First Take (ESPN2, 10am-Noon ET) will feature Champions League Final-related segments including interviews with Tommy Smyth in Rome on Tuesday and Wednesday,
- ESPN Classic will re-air the UEFA Champions League Final on Wednesday between 5:30-8pm ET,
- The latest issue of ESPN: The Magazine features Lionel Messi on the cover with a cover story inside.