WED, 2:45PM ET
ATL5
MAL0
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV2
ZEN0

Strikers For Sale?

45757514 tevez466x282getty Strikers For Sale?

Tevez - listening to offers?

Well another week has meant another win for the top two, another bad week for Arsenal and of course another week of transfer rumours.

For months now specualtion has never really gone away that Manchester United will not stump up the reported £30 Million or so that Media Sports Investments want for him.  Carlos Tevez has become something of a fan-favourite on the Stretford End since making a two year loan move to United in August 2007. The Argentine’s first season at Old Trafford was a successful one, bagging 14 goals in 34 games as well as gaining Premier League and Champions League winners medals with the club.

This season however things haven’t been so rosey. So far Tevez has helped himself to 13 goals in 48 games giving a strike ratio of just 0.27 goals per game.  In his defence though, considering how much of the season he appears to spend warming the bench this is not too surprising. Tevez has seen competitions for places further increase at Old Trafford, mainly by the arrival of Dimitar Berbatov and now the emergence of young Frederico Macheda.

Tevez has become so popular because of his work rate, his attitude on the pitch and his determination. Chants at Sundays game of “Fergie snap him up!” were justified after a brilliant performance by the Argentina striker. For the sake of seeing things from the other side though, put yourself in the shoes of someone at boardroom level. United have an abundance in striking talent without Tevez, so £30 million on a man who is not starting weekend doesn’t seem like the best business does it? Especially when they don’t seem to have missed him on the pitch as far as success in competitions goes.

Another striker yet again surrounded by speculation is Didier Drogba. Speculation it has to be said, for quite the opposite reasons to Tevez. Unlike his Argentine counterpart, Drogba has something of an attitude problem which may have finally riled Chelsea to the point that they wish to offload him.

His incredible outburst after Chelsea’s exit from the Champions League has again thrown his Chelsea career into doubt.  The Ivorian is hardly a stranger to controversy, whether it is throwing a coin back into a crowd, diving or feigning injury -  Drogba has become something of a villain to opposition fans. What frustrates me personally, is that he is a truly gifted player with strength of an ox. In spite of being like a tank, he hits the deck the moment anyone breathes on him then feigns injury in a quite ridiculous manner. On his day the Chelsea number 11 is the complete centre forward but too often he’s too busy rolling around on the deck.

Chelsea’s failures this season have been blamed in some part, on Drogba and Anelka’s lack of compatibility as a front two.  Anelka, who signed in January 2008 is comfortably the clubs leading marksman with 18 goals and second top scorer in the Premier League.  Should Chelsea wish to cash in on a striker it seems logical (if we are to believe the rumours) that it will be Drogba to head for the door.

Speculation in the game is always rife – particularly with the intense media coverage of football comined with the current format of the transfer ‘window’. However if both stories above are to be believed, Chelsea should get their hand in their pocket and sign Tevez under Fergies nose.

7 Responses to Strikers For Sale?

1. RaiderRich says:

Well, whatever happens, Tevez is going to have to have a contract. He can’t be “on loan” from his agent forever.

2. Tyson says:

Tevez’s agent is an idiot trying to hold United to ransom and that won’t work but otherwise I think Tevez will still be playing for United come next season.

Drogba on the other hand I dislike because he’s a Chelsea player and I’m a united fan but I’ve never understood people who dislike him because of things unrelated to his football.

As football fans it’s natural we dislike our allies because they pose a threat to our own teams trophy challenges but singling out a player because you dislike his attitude doesn’t make a lot of sense.

I suppose I should also dislike Paul Scholes because of his haircolour. I’ve never cared for it so rather than judge him on his football I’ll pick apart his idiosynchrasies and put his career and what hes achieved on the back burner when speaking about him.

This is not a soap opera this is football if you want to judge a football player as an observer of football judge him for the game he plays.

3. Thomas says:

Um, I’m pretty sure he has judged Drogba for incidents that occurred on the pitch. Diving and faking injury are two things that have very much to do with how he plays.

I still don’t think Chelsea are nearly as good with Anelka, who doesn’t really play as the lone striker. Drogba is much more effective in the air, and his ability to hold up the ball to allow players like Lampard and Ballack to really join the attack are what make Chelsea so lethal.

I don’t think Man U will shell out 30mil for Tevez either…though if Ronaldo were to leave, there would be a much higher probability of Tevez playing at United next year.

4. JLay says:

Good comments Thomas – I think you’re right on all counts.

I will be sad if Tevez goes, but I understand it. His work rate and desire are inspiring but he wastes as many chances as he creates.

What I don’t understand is why we’ll get rid of Tevez instead of Berbatov. While I “get” that Fergie wants a true striker up top, the proof is in the pudding – we were a better attacking team last year with Rooney and Tevez on the pitch at the same time. It’s unconventional to play two “off” strikers together, but it worked for us. Their collective workrate also allowed Ronaldo to roam more freely than he does with Berba on the pitch.

Berbatov is not doing what he was brought in to do. He is too lazy to defend (which I could forgive if he had poached 25 goals), wastes chances just as badly as Tevez does, and completely disappears in at least half of the games he plays in.

I just hope that Tevez doesn’t land at Chelsea!

5. Morgan says:

Bring this man to Arsenal. Show Adebayor how to work harder and RvP how to finish. Pussies.

6. mike says:

we’ll take Drogba at Man City, we’ll put him to work right away as a french transater for Benzema, we would have to pad all the concrete at Eastlands though…don’t want him to hurt himself

7. mike says:

I think Fergi’s pompus ego wont let him sell Berbatov, he just bought him last summer and he would have to admite he made a mistake if he cut his losses on him.

Don’t get me wrong I dispise Furguson. I hate almost everything about him.
    but as a City supporter even I will admit that he is a great manager.
    just stupid, and ugly, and pompus, and a annoying, and he’s got bad breath…