SAT, 7AM ET
NEW
CRY
SAT, 10AM ET
QPR
SUN

In Retrospect, Bayern’s Performance Wasn’t as Embarassing as Chelsea’s

Yes, the first half of Bayern’s match against Barcelona at the Camp Nou was embarrassing for the Bavarians. Sure it could have been worse had Barca not taken their foot off the gas in the second half of that game. And no, we can’t know what the outcome would have been back at the Allianz without the the K2 like obstacle. However, all is not lost.

No, I am not at a Bayern supporter, but neither am a hater. I am quite ambivalent about them though. And while funner to watch, they rate on the Bochum level to me. So with that out of the way, when it comes to Europe, I am obviously a Bayern fan. And I was embarrassed after the first leg tie with Barcelona. It was a spectacle to behold, the way the Cules cut through Germany’s largest club; unfortunately, the spectacle was embarrassing for a Bundesliga supporter.

Then I watched last night when Chelsea visited Camp Nou and played a brand of football that Rangers would brand as dull and lifeless. I then revisited last year’s trip to Catalonia that eventual champion’s Manchester United made to the cathedral of attacking football. It was possibly more insipid than Chelsea’s performance, but a year has made us forget. And after watching the pathetic, inept and incredulous displays of football by two of the big four team’s of football’s homeland, I am proud that Bayern tried to play. Sure nil-nil looks better, but when it comes to football, I will always take style over substance. Better to lose by trying to play your game, even with a loss by a significant amount, than ever win with anti-football: what is fast becoming British-football. They may have money and success right now, but with teams that succeed utilizing football that would make 1989 Wimbeldon seem like November’s Hoffenheim, England is bound for a huge fall.

The are sustained by television revenue, and that will dry up when people begin to realize that our league and La Liga are much funner to watch. So, while I empathize with Bayern fans over the loss and it’s severity and I bemoan the lost coefficient points, I would still rather be a team/fan that lost with vision than one that won with flaccidity. And let’s hope that Barca score at Stamford Bridge.

This entry was posted in European Competition, FC Bayern München, Leagues: Bundesliga and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to In Retrospect, Bayern’s Performance Wasn’t as Embarassing as Chelsea’s

1. allan says:

YEA, SO MUCH FOR YOUR PREFERRED STYLE THAT YOUR GOT MAULED SO BADLY THAT YOU’D WISH YOU HAD PLAYED LIKE MANU U OR CHELSEA.

IN ANY MATCH, IT’S ALL ABOUT STRATEGY. IN A BOXING MATCH AND YOU’RE FIGHTING A CHAP A FOOT TALLER THAN YOU, WOULD YOU FIGHT HIM FROM A DISTANCE?

2. Socrates says:

“Anti-football”?
    True, if you consider football as just a part of the entertaiment industry you’re getting fed with.
    False, if you consider football to be something more than that.

3. J D Smith says:

The only reason Chelsea played the way they did was to escape a hiding like
    Bayern got. They did the right thing in smothering the Barca attack.
    I didn’t enjoy the spectacle either but it was the only way to fight another day. With a huge crowd baying for their blood it took courage and plenty of concentration to survive. Do not group the way they played with their everyday style. If you watched the Liverpool v Chelsea matches in the quarter final you saw Chelsea and Liverpool play some great football between them. I often watch German football and it is nearest to English way of playing. I also watch Barca v Bayern and it was so onesided and Chelsea
    knew if they played and attacked Barca at Barca then they were in for a beating. Now, however they have a chance to get a result at home.

4. joe smith says:

first of all, asshole, funner is not a word. this article is pathetic. “anti-football”?? you’re a disgrace. you wish bayern had a shot in the 2nd leg at Allianz Arena, but you know why they didnt? because they got their asses handed to them by the best attacking team in the world in the first leg. chelsea could have done that, dont get me wrong they would have gotten a lot better of a result than 4-0, but they are too smart for that. this recent criticism is laughable and its pathetic that you want to remove all strategy from the game. What do you want to see? all out attacking up and down the field? the only strategy is to score more than your opponent. you are clueless

5. santosh says:

No ways! The premiership is a far more competitive league than the rest of Europe. The league doesn’t just solely depend upon the television revenue, the quality of the game in England has gone up by leaps and bounds. Also, the foreign cntingent is increasing by the day and I think the English dominance is here to stay!

6. temi says:

you obviously do not really know much about football. it is not just about passing and dribbling it is about strategy. chelsea was well aware of barcelona’s attack and her own makeshift defense line. the best line of attack from barcelona is messi and unfortunatly for chelsea the man to mark him doesn’t even use the left leg. if you watchd the match you will realise that bosingwa could not even make a kick with his left leg. chelsea knew this and adopted the defensive strategy. i did not enjoy d match but chelsea did a great job.
    n nobody should give me d stuff about messi being just one man, that guy is damn good as three players. he scores the most and makes the most assists for his team. so marking him out was really important.

7. J.R. says:

I agree with Allan, Joe Smith, pretty much everyone. Just another American turned somewhat football fan that has no idea and is trying to make a name for himself. You obviously don’t know strategy. Go back to coaching your step daughter’s U-9 team…easier for you to understand and “funner” for you.

8. Double Pivot says:

Delightfully Hilarious. You guys sound like the 12 year old fan girl that overheard me call Twighlight “dull”. Keep it coming.

And funner is used colloquially. This is a blog, not the Guardian.

9. Football expert says:

Rubbish article. If you want to enjoy action try WWF. Champions League is a contest not drama.

10. Double Pivot says:

WWF? World Wildlife Foundation? That is just the most bizarre attempt at a put down. But I guess they do good work, so there’s something to be said for this Chelsea fan’s approach to my criticism.

Also, not an article…..it’s an opinion piece. I wouldn’t expect free speech to be highly valued by people who support an ex-Communista and Robber Baron.