Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

John Carver The Whiny Quitter

John Carver The Whiny Quitter
There he is ladies and gentleman the whiny quitter known as John Carver. As usual here is another wonderful mind coming to North America trying to install his tactics & emotion into a club that wants to be the best in Major League Soccer and of course being the best pro Canadian side to take out Montreal & Vancouver in the Nutralite Canadian Championships for their spot in the CONCACAF Champions League.

I understand very clearly that he is a passionate man on the sport of football and it doesn’t matter where he was going to land. Mo Johnston brought him in and sadly he told Mo that he was on his way out and let’s be truthful about this shall we? When Alan Shearer of Newcastle was named as the new manager of the club that he has played for these so many years, he needed an old friend to help him move the club along and right now it looks like it’s going to start in the Championship League for next year as Newcastle is going to be relegated.

Now Let me say that I enjoy a head coach showing passion on the sidelines wanting & willing his club to win and perform the game plan to perfection, yet when he did go over the top, sadly MLS did tell him to tone it down. That was mistake number one from the top brass of the league, yet what Carver should’ve done was to let that little problem roll down his back and ignore it. Keep his fire up and continue to will his side to win matches.

But every time or whenever he had a problem with the league or the officials from US Soccer & I bet he had some problems with the Canadian officials as well with how they call matches, those problems festered and I bet he was wishing he was back in England and in calm waters. Well once he got a call from Alan Shearer to come home, that’s when he made his little comments at FC Dallas on that suspect hand ball. Any little excuse he needed to bust the door down to return to England and to Newcastle was all he needed to say goodbye.

Isn’t that the typical way of an Englishman? The need to leave our league in a lerch and head back home or at least back to the continent crying or demanding of first team football that was David Beckham and now Carver. In all honesty if you want to see which players & coaches in MLS from the United Kingdom has done a fantastic job of showing loyalty to the league as well as being in North America are Steve Nicol from New England, Terry Cooke of Colorado and currently on the TFC roster, Danny Dichio, Rohan Ricketts & Carl Robinson. Listen I never said MLS is a World Class League, but it’s our league and we as supporters of it either in the USA or Canada need to have someone who commits to it to be in it for the long haul of their contract. All we ask is for a fair shot from these people either as a coach or a player & when they are whining and whimpering they want out, well as you have already seen it in two separate cases but are linked together they want out right away because it’s not like England or like Europe.

NO FREAKING KIDDING! I’VE HEARD THAT SO MANY TIMES IT’S LIKE A BROKEN RECORD ALREADY!

Do us all a favor and don’t come over. Don’t waste our time if you feel the game in North America is inferior to the level of play in Europe. This league is still growing and to be honest there is still plenty more left to fix these things and when they are fixed Major League Soccer will be on par with the rest of the leagues in the world. I know for a fact that MLS is still behind in many things, but once they are fixed it’s basically on and the hammer will come down.

So Mr. Carver you went back to England with your old buddy Shearer, then do us all a favor and to all the Toronto FC supporters that you’ve abandoned. Tell the truth and write an apology to all those die hard supporters that fill up BMO Field on match day that pour their hearts out. That includes the Mayor of the city as well. Send him a basket of fruit as well as a case of his favorite beer or ale. What you did was the Beckham way out, or sadly the typical English way out.

This entry was posted in John Carver, Leagues: Major League Soccer, Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to John Carver The Whiny Quitter

1. henry says:

They say it is for his health and until I see him at St James’s Park I’ll choose to believe that.
    He’s done a great job at TFC and as for whiney Englishmen, the only one whining here is you.

2. JOSE SILVA says:

You people do not understand football, you call it soccer lolo. MlS is a joke and so are you.

3. Lars says:

I’m an MLS fan overall. That being said, I generally take your posts cheerleading the MLS with a grain of salt. However, no amount of salt changes the fact that this is ridiculous.

Stop defending MLS when it has no right to be defended.

Carver was right. The officiating is TERRIBLE and consistently biased against TFC due to its Canadian status. The FC Dallas incident was the tip of the iceberg. You objectively watch a TFC game and you will consistently see calls against them which are absolutely mind boggling and then see no favours in return visited upon the other team.

You say TFC fans deserved better, but guess what? TFC fans loved and still do love Carver. He was the type of man the league needed, somebody to point out the flaws so action could be taken and not be a yes man, like yourself. Carver called bullshit on the bullshit officiating, and was fined for it. Quite frankly, the only person who should have quit or been fired is the director of officiating for USSF.

4. Lars says:

Oh and for all of Carver’s “Wanting Out” he said he was going to stick around in Canada for a bit. Yeah, he really is heading home to take over Newcastle…

I hope the CSA selects him to rebuild the entire Canadian program…

5. eplnfl says:

Guys go over to EPL Talk and read the numerous comments on bad calls ruining games in the Prem. Same stuff different league. A better opportunity was out there and Carver bolted. It happens in England all the time why change if your coaching in MLS.

Dan I feel like you do that MLS is our league and we have to stand up for it. It’s a fact of life that many of the outside talent either on the field or off will only be here for the money and will jump when the cash calls. I believe that we are big enough now to survive. Thanks in large part to fans in places like Toronto and Seattle.

6. Jason says:

Jose, you’re a world-class moron.

7. EnglishAndProud says:

You might very well be correct with your title – although it’s still unclear what health issues JC has so we don’t really know for sure do we? And the MLS officiating and what appears to be a bias against TFC maybe even gives JC the right to say something.

After the title though, you really show what a bigoted idiot you are.

8. to1105 says:

Whinny = sound that a horse makes. If you are going to knock John Carver, at least show him the respect of a grammar, spelling and punctuation check.

9. lovesmyirish says:

during the chivas game last week carver went up to the press box to watch the game (for whatever reason) and he liked it so much he desided to stay up there. then the league came down and said no you have to coach from the sidelines.

heres the question, why would you stay in a league that doesnt let you manage the way you want and then fine you when you when you point out its obvious flaws? (refs)

i usually support the MLS no matter what, but when you step in and tell a coach how to manage a team it makes the league look mickey mouse.

10. Liverpool Football Club says:

Jose Silva is right. You guys do not understand football and you have to stop calling football what you call it. You mickeymouse the game of football when you call it that. No wonder your league is a joke.

Jason, YOU are the moron.

11. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Jose Silva: If that’s the best insult you can come up with, I’m not impressed. Try alot harder next time if you can.

Lars: If you watched Duane Rollins on his That’s Football show he’s not a happy camper either, he thinks this is bogus as well. Also Lars, he is going to help Alan. He’s not taking over the club. At least I pay attention to Canadians that are reporting on the sport up there. Lars one more thing please. Just because I’m not Canadian doesn’t mean I have no right to comment on what’s going on with TFC. They are Canadian Soccer, but they are MLS so it counts. Just because you think the Leafs are the center of the universe in the NHL, doesn’t mean I can’t talk about them down here in the States.

English & Proud: Good for you to be English and proud, but please keep these absurd opinions to yourself. I am not bigoted against the English. I have plenty of friends who live here in the States that are English and we have a good friendship going. What I am against are people who don’t want to give this league a chance. Yes my league in North America is MLS. This is MLS talk isn’t it?

Understand something here please. If Mr. Carver would’ve stood up and told everyone that he is heading back to England and helping Shearer with Newcastle I wouldn’t have a problem with it if he told the truth. Everyone in the American Soccer Media knows what’s going on. It’s not that hard to see it. Like I said also that I do blame MLS for nit picking on him which they shouldn’t have done, but Mr. Carver is also a big boy & should’ve ignored them at the same time. If you would have read the post match comments from him after the away match at Dallas, he said he was having problems with the TFC FO & everyone was shocked to hear that. Mo Johnston knows what’s going on as well and he allowed it to happen.

I agree that the officiating in this league both with US Soccer & the CSA are terrible, they need to be improved by someone from Europe to help them out, sadly these soccer refs are Hockey refs. They will make bad calls out of the blue, or the ever popular “Make Up Call” during a match.

If it was really health reasons then by all means there should’ve been earlier reports on it. But let’s be realistic here it’s not. The only real bigots English & proud are the reporters & commenters from England who already assume “DON’T YOU DARE CRITISIZE ONE OF OUR OWN!” & of course the ever popular “YOU DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL!” comments. It’s all been said and guess what, it stops now. Just because I’m an American doesn’t mean I don’t know about the game. Those times are changing.

Didn’t I name some positive players & coaches from England and Scotland? Or you think Steve Nicol doesn’t count. If so, then look who’s being the bigot now. It’s just to damn easy to point the finger of blame and hard to just admit what’s really going on. Maybe it’s the norm in England, but guess what it’s wrong over here.

12. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Liverpool Football Club: Let me say first and formost, my sympathy to those that died on that horrible day.

Second: On your comment. As I have said to Jose, try harder next time on your insults about MLS. You & Jose are boring me.

13. Lars says:

Obviously you haven’t read all of our papers Daniel, because if you did, you would have seen straight out that he said he’s staying in Canada for the next little while. My bet is you probably read the Toronto Sun article blasting Carver and then assumed we all are a bunch of right wing nazi bigots who read that paper. We don’t. We have real media up here. TorStar, CBC, Globe and Mail among others. The three national news organizations do a lot of reporting on TFC, and I read everything that is put out, thanks to my specialized Google News Page.

Second of all, Never call me a Leafs fan, thank you very much. I cheer for a team that can actually make playoffs.

Third of all, I never said you couldn’t comment on Canadian soccer. Stop accusing me of things I never said. Of course, this follows a pattern that you have with anybody who criticizes your work. You accuse them of something they didn’t do, and then build up an attack on that.

What I actually said was stop defending the MLS when it has no right to be defended. The Officiating is balls, and quite frankly, you still haven’t come up with an adequate reply to that, because deep down you know it’s true. All you’ve done is create an imaginary argument that I supposedly made, which I didn’t, and ignored the thrust of my actual argument.

But this is what I expect from a fanboy cheerleader of the MLS. You’re worse than a Nintendo Wii fanboy, because at least they have something to cheer about (sales of units). MLS is deeply flawed, despite my hope that it succeeds, and cheerleading it for making mistakes doesn’t make it better.

14. senevada says:

odd that no one’s bothering to discuss what sort of manager Carver was…Toronto played boring punt-and-foul footie and Carver needed to go, irregardless of any other “factor” or non factor. It is no coincidence that the moment Carver handed the reigns to Chris Cummins, Toronto immediately won 2 straight and now sits atop the Eastern division, albeit likely briefly as a couple of sides have multiple games in hand.

But no it has to be about the “MLS is mickey mouse” folks vs the “piss off eurotrash” folks.

Yawn.

15. Daniel Feuerstein says:

senevada: I honestly thought John Carver showed plenty of passion on the field for his club & whenever I saw a TFC match either against Red Bull NY or on the Direct Kick Package that he was great for them.

I do wish the MLS Front Office people didn’t have to interfere with what he was trying to do. But as I have said he is a big boy and sometimes he has to ignore those idiots. He should’ve had a conference call with himself and the League. I know that Mo Johnston is going to support him, but like I said people were surprised with those comments he made after the road match in Dallas that he had a problem with the TFC FO.

16. Skinn says:

Uniformed. You’re and idiot.

17. switchblade says:

wow, what a horribly written blog. and nice pandering to the lfc comment by mentioning hillsborough for no apparent reason. you’re shit, go back to listening tommy smyth and fellating landon donovan.

18. Jonathan says:

Daniel, you hurt your argument when you began to rant about the English. You’ve been doing that since Beckham’s “loan”.

19. The Great Attila says:

Ummm, the sport is technically called association football. And “soccer” comes from association, and its a British term to boot. Last time I checked, Brian Glanville wrote a column for World Soccer magazine.

20. duhhhh says:

I wish I was a dickheaded know-it-all scouser too

21. Kevin says:

To the English and speakers of the queens englishwho insist that we poor Americans call soccer football I have one question to ask: WHY THE HELL DID YOU INVINT THE WORD “SOCCER”? Yes football make more sense than soccer but like it or not we already have a football. Also, I would like to know if you bitch at all the Italians for calling it “calico”? Finally why was this even brought up when he was writing about Carver leaving.

22. Kevin says:

And what The Great Attila and duhhhh said too!

23. Liverpool Football Club says:

Daniel: I’m not here to entertain you, I’m here to give you people input about the culture of football. I have lived and breathed the game since I was a wee lad. Trust me, you lot insult the rest of us with your mickey mouse term for football. In this day and age, you should know better.

Switchblade was spot on.

attila: The word is used infrequently and is not the official name for the sport. But it appears to be in the USA. That’s where the problem lies.

Kevin: It was invented because in the 1800s, people would come up with goofy slang terms. It’s 2009 now, in case you haven’t noticed. get with the program. Also, the Italians call it CALCIO, not calico. A calico is a cat, you stupid moron. And the Italians speak italian, so obviously it will be different. You lot speak English. In English, it’s FOOTBALL.

Jose Silva brought it up and he’s probably a fervent football supporter who knows much more about the game than you do.

Hey Lars, I thought all Torontonians were fans of the maple leaves What ice hockey club do u support then?

24. Lars says:

I’m not from Toronto. Where I’m from the closest NHL team is 8 hours away and is the Calgary Flames. But I don’t support them either. I’m a Vancouver Canucks fan, because my first memory of a Canadian team in NHL Playoffs is that of the 1994 Canucks playing the New York Rangers. Went to Game 7 in the final, where New York won 3-2. Heartbreaking, but they’re my favourite team. There is a WHL team (Junior Hockey, about 20% of the current NHL players played in the WHL at one point) where I live, and I go and watch them as well, but it’s not the same.

I cheer for TFC because they’re the only Canadian MLS team. And after Vancouver joins, I won’t be switching sides because I think that’s tacky.

25. Kevin says:

Liverpool Football Club: So so sorry I switched the “i” and “c” around you scummy Eurotrash twat. It must be so great to know that you’re better and have never ever made a spelling error in your life. Now, you mean to tell me that in Italian there’s no word for foot and ball. For example in German it’s Fussball. (Did it upset you that I didn’t put the s set up there and used the double s? I know you demand perfection from posters and call them morons when said demand is not met but I really don’t want to search for the unicode and don’t know if it would show up here.) Another point I’d like to address: I’m well aware that it’s 2009 are you? I’m mean are you one of those Brits going around saying English football is the best? I hope not because 1966 is a long long time ago. Yes, USA has never won the World Cup, then again we don’t go around saying we’re the best. We know CONCACAF is weak and we know there is a long way to go, but we’re working on it.

26. Kevin says:

Liverpool Football Club- Just came back and noticed something else. There are two types of English as there are two types of Spanish, Portugeuse, French and probably others that I haven’t thought of. In British English it’s football. In American English it’s soccer. Once again I would also like to state the the British term for the sport makes better sense but oh well. Sorry for any spelling errors again, I know how that upsets you.

27. Lars says:

There’s more than two types of english. There’s at least two dialects in the US alone. Canada has about three or four dialects of English. The UK has more dialects than people can count. And we haven’t even gotten to the other colonies…

28. Liverpool Football Club says:

Lars: you should support your local club, which would be the Flames. You traveled all the way to Madison Square Garden for game 7 that year? That series was probably rigged because the Rangers were the sentimental favourites since they hadn’t won in 54 years up till that point. I think the American media probably fixes matches so that certain teams can be known as sympathetic losers, thus gaining fan support. Like that rounders team they have, the cubs i believe they are called.

Kevin: Fuck you. You only talk tough because you’re behind a keyboard. If you said that to my face, you’d get stomped.

Well, I hope team USA fails to qualify. Unfortunately, they will probably get thru. If they do, may they be drawn together with the 3 Lions. We will destroy you like never before.

If you agree that football makes more sense, then why don’t you follow suit? Do you enjoy your sport being degraded by having its name stolen from it? Have some balls, man! Defend football!!!

29. art says:

“The word is used infrequently and is not the official name for the sport. But it appears to be in the USA. That’s where the problem lies.”

Well now THAT’s our problem, we call it “soccer” instead of “football”. Jeez thanks massa Englishman for straightening us silly yanks out.

Does it just piss you off that we play “your” game or something?

30. Kevin says:

Liverpool Football Club- Aren’t you behind a keyboard too? Really, this is getting stupid. Fuck you too asshole. Go to a pub, drink yourself to death, and do the world a favor, or is it favour. I’v supported my position and you resorted to proposed violence. Real good. And to think, I liked Liverpool F.C. until I had the misfortune of reading your posts. Meh.

31. Liverpool Football Club says:

fart: Stay away from our game until you can learn to respect it. That is all.

Kevin: We don’t need you as a fan. You probably support one of those mickey mouse USA teams anyway. The Dallas burn! the Cleveland force! the new york zoom zoom!

32. Kevin says:

Liverpool Football Club- Actually I tend to support the underdog team like Hull ,for example. Support is too strong a word, more like “hope to see win” is better. It depends on who’s playing. For instance just recently there was the ManUSA v. Spurs. I like neither so I just want to see a good game, which it was. However, if it was WestHam v. ManUSA, Hammers all the way. As for the names of teams in the US you have a good point, I’ll concede, but having names like that is a tradition here so there you have it. However, we usually don’t say the whole name, just the town unless there’s more than one i.e. Yankees, Mets. I would like to point out that although not official, I think, England has nick names to don’t they. Reds, Toffees, Red Devils, Black Cats, Spurs, Hammers, Magpies… Oh yeah, by the way it’s Chicago that I support.

33. art says:

dearwst Licerpool Football Fan:

No, I won’t.

THAT is all. Now please piss off.

34. Eric says:

Daniel, perhaps you shouldn’t over generalize like when you said Carver took the ‘typical English way out’. This negates your numerous examples of British players and managers who have come here and settled in just fine, which, consequentially, all but eliminates the validity of your argument.

The bottom line is that it comes down to the individual and how open-minded he is. John Carver is clearly a very narrow-minded man, but the players you mentioned are enjoying their time spent here, as is Steve Nicol, so it all comes down to the attitude and outlook of the person.

I know it’s easy to generalize and claim that one of the reasons he left is because he’s English, but earnestly his nationality has absolutely nothing to do with it. Hope you’ll recognize that.

Cheers

35. Paul Sturrock says:

I just came on here to see what John Carver is like because he’s just been appointed as Head Coach Paul Mariner’s assistant at Plymouth Argyle in the South West of England.

It sounds like he’s something of a firey character, and from what I’m reading a better coach/assistant than a manager. I’m hoping he works out well for us as we need all the help we can get to stay in the Coca Cola Championship rather than League One.

I can’t help notice there’s a bit of a to do going on between Liverpool FC and some other chap. And it seems to me that Liverpool FC is a bit of a cock. As the US has it’s own culture and version of the English language, it’s perfectly fine for them to call what we refer to as football as whatever they choose to. Soccer is a perfectly legitimate way to describe association football – and as some have pointed out is in fact an English word. Can I ask, Liverpool FC, have you written to the English sports broadcaster Sky Sports to complain that the have two programmes ‘Soccer AM’ and ‘Soccer Saturday’? How dare they use that term to describe the beautiful game.

Now be a poppet, Liverpool FC, stop winding up our American cousins and wind your neck in. You must have more important things to worry about such as your recent qualification for the Europa League, winning the FA Cup and clawing your way up from sixth into a qualifying spot for next season’s Europa League or Champions League.

I’m off to worry about Plymouth’s Championship survival and whether this Carver chap and Paul Mariner can work together to turn around the fortunes of little and relatively successful Plymouth Argyle.