MON, 4PM ET
BRI
THURS, 3:45PM ET
VER
LAZ

Steven Cohen Interview

cohen Steven Cohen Interview

World Soccer Daily and Fox Football Fone In co-host Steven Cohen joins MLS Talk host Kartik Krishnaiyer to discuss a variety of topic related to football in the United States. We discuss FOX acquisition of Champions League rights, Freddy Adu, Jozy Altidore, Landon Donovan, the international calender, and the CONCACAF Champions League. We also receive a clarification of Steven’s controversial remarks of last week regarding the commemoration of Hillsborough disaster.

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Podcast. Bookmark the permalink.

About Kartik Krishnaiyer

View all posts by Kartik Krishnaiyer →

61 Responses to Steven Cohen Interview

1. Shell says:

Thanks for getting to the point with Mr. Cohen on Hillsboro. Much needed. He’s got really good points.

2. eplnfl says:

Kartik, so well done, a real pro job of an interview. Steve Cohen presented to the public pure and simple and able to explain his opinions to the audience in a rational manner. A real benefit to Steve Cohen and your audience.

3. PZ says:

Excellent interview Kartik. Some great discussion.

4. Tom says:

Nice interview. But ugh… whose phone kept zonking out like that? Those audio glitches were really tough to endure, I have to be honest.

5. Joe says:

Steven

You are entitled to your opinion. If anyone has made threats to you I presume you are handing that information over to the Police. If that is true it is reprehensible.

All you have just said is

1) You have the right to your opinion
    2) Liverpool fans did not set out with murder in their hearts
    3) It has to be logical that since there were thousands of fans there they should share some of the blame.

To see out your argument to it’s conclusion, you must therefore also conclude that any person present at any disaster anywhere, necessarily has to share some of the blame. Do you not see that your statement that there were 6-8000 “ticketless fans hell bent on getting into the ground” shows that you were speaking from ignorance. Why no mention of that?

Here are the logical conclusions from your argument…

1) People inside the twin towers on 9/11 by default must share some of the blame.
    2) They didn’t set out with murder in their hearts.
    3) The above statement may be false, and I may not know what I’m talking about, but hey – this is America. I have the first amendment and I’m entitled to my opinion.

6. Tom says:

Joe, your post is one of the lousiest arguments I’ve encountered in quite awhile.

No offense and stuff.

7. Joe says:

Tom

Good argument with well thought out points

cheers

8. Tom says:

Why do I need to write out an argument? The argument has already been made. It starts around the 46-minute mark in the posted audio. The speaker is Steven Cohen.

There’s nothing I can add to it. I’m not Cohen. I can’t speak for him.

I’m merely in the role of onlooker here. A virtual debate judge, if you will. I heard two arguments — one by Cohen, one by you — and offered an observation.

I don’t have a dog in this fight. I’m not a Liverpool partisan, and I’m not a Cohen partisan. I’m just some dude listening to a podcast and reading blog comments and posting my response.

9. Joe says:

Tom

If someone accuses someone else of manslaughter they need to back it up with evidence.

There is no debate over whether Cohen has a right to his opinion. That is an entirely separate point. Having freedom of speech doesn’t make him correct. Do you see how he is changing the debate? He’s now making it about free speech. Steven Cohen has every right in the world to his ill-informed, wrong and ignorant opinions.

Fans (with tickets) at Hillsborough were erroneously directed by police and stewards into an overcrowded central pen when when there were two side pens that were empty. Fans did not know that it was overcrowded and once they were inside they could not get out. Only fans at the front knew it was overcrowded and were trying to scream this information to the police. Once people were freed from the terracing people scrambled and desperately did everything they could to save lives.

It isn’t legitimate to say “I’m entitled to my opinion” and just leave it at that.

If you want to pass muster on my argument, please explain why I am wrong. Stand up , be a man and state your case.

10. Tom says:

All right, here’s a major fault in your argument:

“However, using the first amendment of the United States is perhaps the worst argument I have ever heard. How is that a basis for saying that your opinion is correct? Saying “I have a right to my opinion” is the last resort of someone who cannot back up their argument.”

Indeed, Cohen said precisely that, noting that EPL Talk had criticized him for refusing to apologize: “Well, I don’t think I have anything to apologize for. I’m entitled to my opinion.”

He didn’t say: “Accuracy is irrelevant. I’m entitled to my opinion.” He said (my words): “There is no moral imperative to apologize for expressing a given opinion, because I am entitled to hold one.”

Demanding he apologize is to beg the question. It presumes that the argument is won, and so the opponent is morally obligated to apologize. Thus it begs the question that’s at issue in the first place. Cohen had not conceded the argument. Demanding that he apologize implies there is only one stance to be held, and that Cohen is not allowed to hold his — i.e., that he is not entitled to an opinion. He is merely contesting that.

He then goes on to outline threats he has received, and says: “This is the United States of America. We’re protected by the First Amendment … I recognize that this is a senstive issue. That doesn’t (mean) I shouldn’t be able to talk about it.”

And so that’s why, when you write …

“There is no debate over whether Cohen has a right to his opinion. That is an entirely separate point. Having freedom of speech doesn’t make him correct. Do you see how he is changing the debate? He’s now making it about free speech.”

… you’re misattributing the nature of his remarks. He didn’t claim that “freedom of speech (makes) him correct.” He merely claimed that freedom of speech makes him free to speak — and that it’s thus wrong to physically threaten him or demand he publicly express shame for something he said. After all, if Cohen has been threatened, clearly there IS a “debate over whether Cohen has a right to his opinion.”

This is a major fault in your argument.

11. Joe says:

Tom

“You’ve created a strawman. Cohen raised the point about his rights NOT as a defense of his argument’s substance, but as a response to those who were (A) threatening him for expressing an opinion; and (B) insisting he apologize for expressing an opinion.”

Cohen did raise the point about his rights as a defence of his argument. He certainly doesn’t put anything else across that could be construed as defending his arguments substance. It’s called misdirection. Changing the subject. Look at the question that was posed. He wasn’t asked whether he has free speech. He was asked, and I quote, “to clarify his opinions on Hilsborough”. You should change your sentence from this…

“Cohen raised the point about his rights NOT as a defense of his argument’s substance”

to this…

“Cohen raising the point about his rights IS NOT as a defense of his argument”

People want him to apologise for stating a falsehood and making accusations of criminality without any evidence. Not for having an opinion.

The interviewer asked him to clarify his thoughts on the Hillsborough disaster. He responded by saying that he lives in America and has a right to free speech. I’m happy to agree with you that he offered no substance to back up his argument once again. He is however guilty of a whopping non sequitur. If he is asked about his opinions on Hillsborough, why does he state that he has freedom of speech? We know that.

We seem to agree that someone having a right to their opinion and their opinion carrying any weight are two entirely different things. I was hoping to hear Cohen either retract his remarks or provide some evidence. What I heard was that he has freedom of speech. It’s a dodge. Besides which, that freedom does not extend to slander without evidence.

“You’re castigating Cohen’s free-speech remarks when you’re not even properly grasping the premise behind them. He did not make them to be dismissive of criticism. He made them to be dismissive of threats and demands.”

Tom – if Cohen’s arguments had any substance, he would not be mentioning the issue of freedom of speech. The reason why referring to freedom of speech sticks out like a smoking gun is because he hasn’t backed up his arguments with any substance. You say he isn’t using freedom of speech specifically to back up his argument. I say more fool you. If you can’t spot deliberate misdirection and obfustication when you see it then fine. He was asked about Hillsborough, he responded by saying that he has freedom of speech.

“This is a major fault in your argument.”

Who cares if my argument is flawed right? This is America. We have the first amendment. I can say what I like.

12. eplnfl says:

Let me once again express that Kartik did a professional job in interviewing Steve Cohen when it easily could of been a complete carnival.

Now as to Cohen’s comments regarding Chris Harris and the EPL Talk blog post, no credible evidence appears to support Cohen’s position. Chris has citied in his post the credible sources which have reviewed the tragedy and find no support for the idea suggested by Steve Cohen. The verdict of history is in. Yes, some people believe the US government was behind Pearl Harbor and 9-11. Fools will always be with us.

No matter how outlandish one may think Cohen’s idea’s are,threats of any kind are criminal and should be prosecuted. Cohen need not hide behind the 1st Amendment which does not apply as he may think since it is a restriction on government and not individual comment. For Cohen to then blame Chris Harris is unjustified. To point out the irresponsible comments of another is exactly what free speech is designed to promote. I fear the day that comment can not be made fair or unfair.

13. Mike says:

Cohen’s point is that Harris’ post about Hillsborough has incited the responses of Liverpool fans, many of whom seem to be threatening violence in order to keep Cohen from expressing what he has always described as a personal opinion. It all seems a little crazy to me that fans think that they have to shut up anyone who doesn’t share their opinion on this tragedy.

Are we right to assume that Liverpool fans want to murder Jose Mourinho because he has repeatedly stated his belief that Luis Garcia’s goal in the ’05 Champions League semi-final was never over the line?

14. Zach says:

I would like to say that any threats to Steven Cohen or his family wrong and very misguided. However, I know many people who have emailed Steve without hate and simply with facts.

With that said, he has backed off his original comments that he first said. He stated that the ROOT CAUSE was that 6,000-8,000 ticketless fans entered the ground. This is false and has been proven to be false. The cause of death was not from ticketless fans but by the lack of crowd control. The police failed to direct fans to the 2 side pens which were NOT FULL. Here is a quote from the taylor report.
    “The police witnesses who most impressed me did not consider the number of ticketless fans to be inordinately large. This accords with two other sources of evidence,” (I would cite something better but it would be rather long) If he said what he leads you to believe from this interview there would not have been this much of an outcry. (even though I believe that this is wrong)

But with that said, He made a false claim two days before a city held a memorial for 96 people who died, no fault of their own. That is disrespectful and plain wrong. That is the main reason I emailed him and his sponsor’s a complaint.
    If you would like to learn the truth about this disaster visit http://www.hfdinfo.com/

Zach
    Gainsville, Florida

15. Joe says:

Mike

How absurd!

Why on earth is it the fault of this Chris Harris guy for posting what Steven Cohen said? That is staggeringly ludicrous. Steven Cohen said what he said. It is there both in black and white and in an audio file. For the love of God man – he reposted an audio file. And you are blaming him!

“It makes no difference if Cohen thinks an elephant stampede was responsible for Hillsborough, all he has is an opinion. I fail to see what is so threatening about such an opinion.”

Excuse me, sir. It matters profoundly whether Steven Cohen thinks an elephant stampede was responsible for Hillsborough. If he has the right an “opinion”, we have the right to make people aware of the facts.

“Are we right to assume that Liverpool fans want to murder Jose Mourinho because he has repeatedly stated his belief that Luis Garcia’s goal in the ‘05 Champions League semi-final was never over the line?”

If anyone wants to murder anyone, that is repulsive and should be dealt with by the law. Luis Garcia’s goal, which we all know did not cross the line, did not result in anyone being injured, let alone dead.

Oh and while we’re at it, there is another subtle difference with this example. Jose Mourinho could bring along a video tape of the ball crossing the line in that game. I believe the word is “evidence”.

Steven Cohen made outrageously ill-informed claims, then totally changed his story to something extremely vague which still does not make sense and is still wrong. All the while he has provided precisely zero – ZERO, evidence or substance top back up anything he has said.

16. JD says:

More Sponsor will follow suit shortly and and more MLS clubs are in the process of being contacted.

Let’s see how your show gets on without any support Steve.

17. EastLAChiva says:

Steven Cohen shows more integrity for asking Mr. Harris to join him on his show.

Both Harris and cohen are entitled to their opinions, but Harris seems to be hiding behind his blog.

Gracias, Kartik

18. Jerry says:

“NOTE: World Soccer Daily debuts on XM Satellitte radio channel 102 next Monday. You can also listen everyday on Sirius 125.”

Time to write to XM too.

19. The Gaffer says:

EastLAChiva,

I’m by no means hiding behind my blog. I’ve mentioned this several times on EPL Talk, but I will not be willing to go on World Soccer Daily until after Cohen admits he was wrong, retracts his statements and makes an apology to his listeners and Liverpool supporters.

20. Jeph says:

JD: “Four Four Two Magazine and Heineken have withdrawn all sponsorship from Cohens shows and Steve Nicol and the New England Patriots will no long participate in any show hosted by or featuring Cohen.

Let’s see how your show gets on without any support Steve.”
    —————————–
    Heineken are still advertising on the website and are co-sponsoring Steven and Kenny doing remotes at various locations for the Champions League still…

21. Bob says:

Hey Joe & Mr. Harris,

You’re bunch of wankers!

Bob

22. JD says:

Heineken have confirmed in an exchange of emails that they are just running down their current contract and have informed Cohen no further support will be offered when it has expired.

A few more sponsors are currently looking at their options and reviewing their position at present. We expect some of them to also withdraw support in the very near future. Cohen confirmed on his show that FourFourTwo and New England Pats are to have no more involvement with him.

We will continue speaking to Sponsors and Clubs. Being associated with this Man is becoming increasingly bad for business and companies don’t want to be associated with his warped views. I doubt he ever imagined we would take it this far but he has overstepped the mark far too often and it seem the only way of getting to him is to financially affect his show.

23. Eric says:

Pardon my ignorance, as I’m not a regular on this website, but I can’t help but notice that Kartik Krishnaiyer has got a quality radio/announcing voice and sounds exceptionally knowledgeable about the game. I’m not sure if this has been brought up before, but I am inclined to believe that he would do a fine job as an MLS color-commentator, correspondent, or the like. I could easily see myself listening to him call a game or provide analysis. After hearing him conduct this interview I can already say that, for me, it would be wonderful if he’d replace some of the morons who currently pollute the air during MLS and US National Team broadcasts. Anybody else agree? He has just got one of those voices, and I don’t know much about him, but I’m going to assume his love for the game is incredibly strong.

American football could use a genuine radio/television personality, and I’m not sure if I’m alone on this, but Kartik Krishnaiyer could be that person!!

24. Jeph says:

Its just my opinion however I feel the reaction from a certain section of Liverpool fans somewhat proves Cohen’s point — the threats are inexcusable, and they haven’t been defended here, but no wonder Steven thinks what he does about their fans.

The interview was great and it let him lay out his points – all of which are valid. Painting with a broad brush isn’t wise but when yourself and those you love are threatened not because you caused harm to anyone but rather because you espoused an opinion there is no excuse. This isn’t the first time he’s been threatened because of his opinion and he’s opined strongly on other issues as well. Why is it that he only seems to get threats when he talks about Liverpool?

They treat this the same as the Don Imus affair a few years ago. Cohen corrected what he said on last Monday’s show and reaffirmed what he believed in the interview with Kartikk yet this battle goes on and it seems more about spite and jealousy than anything else.

To put it plainly, if you don’t like what he says then don’t listen. They’ve always said on that show they aren’t journalists — they’re fans, all FANS have opinion. The show would suck if they ran it as pure news. Others have run that way and failed miserably.

WSD will continue to get sponsors as the top soccer show in the USA and one of the top sports podcasts in the world. I doubt they worry much that the New England REVOLUTION (not Patriots) will no longer participate in their programming. I always wondered why Nicol went on there as much as he did anyway.

We’re beyond the point in this country that we always need to be united as a soccer movement. As much as I disagree with the reaction to what he’s said, I’m also happy to see that the constituency in this country is broad and knowledgeable.

25. Paddy Coughlan says:

Facts:

Mr Cohen has accused liverpool supporters on apr 19 1989 in hillsborough, sheffield, uk, of manslaughter on a public platform.

Fact:
    An ongoing quest for justice for the supporters who died that day is hampered by the crap that Cohen is spouting to the american public.

Fact:
    Taylor report exonerates all blame from supporters on that day and firmly places it in the hands of Mr Duckenfield and the south yorkshire police

Fact:
    The family of Jon-Paul Gilhooley, a boy aged 10 who died from “crush asphyxia” on that day do not need to hear that a nobody like Steven Cohen accuses their son/brother of manslaughter.

Fact:
    Steven Cohen has been requested to apologise for his ill informed comments and to date has not made the full apology and retraction required.
    This is not acceptable.

Fact:

I, for one, will not rest until Cohen either apologises to the letter of the rquest of decency, or is removed from his position at fox.

That, is a promise.

Joe,

I fully support your standpoint,

America,

You were hoodwinked by a dictator in your previous president, do not let this excuse of a human being (Cohen) do the same.

Kind Regards to all,

Paddy Coughlan,

Friend of the 96

You’ll Never Walk Alone

26. Paddy Coughlan says:

And Jeph,

Your point, or lack of, is laughable.

Read through it again with a straight face.
    You are taking Cohen’s words as gospel.
    Are you that naive?
    For someone who can assemble such articulate jibberish, i’m assuming you have some sort of education.
    Did daddy never tell you not to believe everything you hear?

Simple fact, to break it down for you.

Chen believes liverpool supporters were responsible (in some way) for the deaths of other liverpool supporters in hillsborough.

Read the facts.

This is untrue.

He is entitled to opinion, nobody doubts or questions that.
    He is not, however, entitled to blacken the names of my family, who were entirely innocent.
    He is not entitled to absolve himself from ridicule, and examination of his statement in a moral and decent society.
    He is entitled to live freely, and safe, free from any threats, which are in no way supported by anyone i know, who is supporting the case against him.
    I find it disgusting that people would resort to that.

If a member of your family, went to a football match, and through no fault of their own,or their fellow supporters were killed, by crushing, because the authorities refused to open an overflow pen, would you want answers?
    Would you allow someone accuse that family member of manslaughter?

I leave that with you.

Think about it.

27. Abe says:

I think this is oviously a huge tragedy for Liverpool fans, how could it not be, awful.

Was it insensitive for Steve to talk about the root causes; probably for those most closely involved, even after twenty years.

Do talk shows and news programs discuss tragedies and root causes. All of the time.

Could Steve have a point. Possibly.

The reaction to Steve’s opinion by these fans has been an eye opener for the fans of the beautiful game in the US. I imagine there will be cross petitions the way this is going with the bars and sponsors.

Mr. Harris, have your say in a public forum on his show. Don’t argue the point, but have the integrity to make your point on air, and leave it there, agree to disagree.

28. stevenm says:

Steven Cohen obviously disagrees with certain parts of the Taylor Report. His clarification states that he believes that fans should bear some shared responsibility. He has backed down from his erroneous facts as to number and ‘root cause’.

The Taylor Report is not gospel and people have a right to disagree with it. Any report that gives an opinion as to ‘fault’ can by definition be disagreed with, and I don’t see any problem with that at all.

Was Steven out of line espousing untruths? Yes he was, and sensible debate has served to somewhat educate him to stick to offering opinion and not misleading information disguised as ‘facts’. This has been the positive side of all this, the chance for Steven to re-analyse his comments and put forward his opinion without the hysterics and hyperbole that is particularly hurtful to those close to the tragedy. Many people have had the chance to educate Steven by communicating honestly and openly. I often listen to his show and while I wouldn’t call myself a ‘fan’, I know that he has now softened his stance on this tragedy (much in the way he has softened his stance on MLS).

Unfortunately the negative side has been all too plain to see, with so many ridiculous inflammatory comments from all involved that have caused death threats and the like. I’m sad to say that I find the Gaffer’s stance also a little extreme. This is a perfect chance to contribute positively to the situation, but to say that you would be happy to speak to him but not until he ‘apologises to his listeners’ is, to me, something that precludes ever speaking to him. It’s like saying to someone you disagree with: ‘I’d like to discuss this with you to help you understand my point of view, but firstly I’d like you to admit that you are wrong’. I would readily understand the Gaffer not wanting to speak to Cohen at all, but to couch it in so many preconditions seems only designed to take the high ground. Some of them makes sense, but to apologise to his listeners in general seems too far, and is something that even I wouldn’t do.

In any case this will all blow over and Steven Cohen will definitely think twice before mixing opinion and fact like he did.

29. Fuuzball says:

Stevenm,

Taking your characterization for granted, your basic point is that he is wrong in his factual data. That is the point of his whole show! He puts out his very strong take on all subjects soccer related to be debated, put down, supported and disdained by the community.

The anonymous bullying and jeopardizing of his show has been an eye opener. It is wrong. Steve takes on tough subjects which is to be congratulated. If the idea is that Steve should not speak forth unless he is correct does not make sense, and as many have said, everyone has the opportunity to prove him wrong or right in a his public forum.

Most people here don’t like the way free speech is being treated by some. Yiur last sentence appears to tell Steve he should censor himself “before mixing opinion and fact”. According to whose opinions and whose facts. Even in this country, people freely argue the 9-11 conspiracy’s and many more about the current POTUS. Many think they are out of order, but they defend it letting it sink or swim in the court of public opinion, without any type od personal threat, bullying or back-room treachery.

30. stevenm says:

Fuuzball

I basically agree with you. The Gaffer’s point was that some facts were misrepresented and Steven Cohen has agreed as much, revising his figure of 6 to 8000 fans, and amending ‘root cause’ to some degree of shared blame, however small. When apportioning ‘blame’ across a variety of parties, naturally opinion comes into it, and the criticism of Steven’s opinion has been out of order in its scope.

Steven is very big on getting the facts right and to be honest, he doesn’t like it when other people base opinions on falsehoods. My point in the last paragraph was simply that I know that he will be more careful in the future to do this. I, like you, hope that he and anyone else has the right to interpret facts as they wish, and is able to voice that opinion without fear of death threats.

31. Fuuzball says:

Stevenm,

I basically agree with what you said except for:

“The Gaffer’s point was that some facts were misrepresented and Steven Cohen has agreed as much, revising his figure of 6 to 8000 fans, and amending ‘root cause’ to some degree of shared blame, however small.”

My point is that if Steve ias wrong, that is OK. That is why the opportunity exists for ANYONE to go on his show and correct him. If that was not the case, then he would have to be censored because the opportunity for a counter-view does not exist. But Steve’s entire program is about counterviews, and it is why soccer fans listen.

Steve and all of us are educable, but you have to go in and make the case. If censorship is where you want to start then you are attacking the American way of things, and we are the losers for it. I hope US fans and other global followers counter the actions of the people we are talking about.

I am glad I know more about Hillsborough, by the way, and I thank Steve for that.

I do realize that this is a painful subject, but it does not make some actions correct.

Cheers mate.

32. m d says:

Well said paddy lad, tom you fucking dick id love to arrange a meet with me you and mr cohen at any point in the future. Steve Cohen (who, by the way?) obviously knows fuck all about the what happened on 15/04/89, which is clear from his recent rants, hit the prick in the pocket, petition his advertisers etc as has been happening recently, get the beaut sacked from his station, theres no place for the shit he comes out with and hopefully fellow reds over the pond will do as much damage to the cunt commercially as possible, and other type of damage…… (i do not legally condone etc etc etc :))

33. sp says:

md, get a life you idiot. There are other clubs other than liverpool in the world. were you even there on the day hilsbrough happened. You along with all the other idiots attacking WSD should move on and take chill pill and GROW UP. md i dont see you calling WSD to talk to steven but all you are md is a coward. Liverpool fans were part of the reasons that caused the disaster, liverpool fans stop being so bloody precious.

34. ps says:

The Gaffer,

It is clear that you are a liverpool fan, and do us a favour from separating yourself from them. It is clear that you have a hidden agenda here. The only people he has apparently offended are liverpool fans and are hiding behind this website. You want to get rid of him and take his sponsors. Christopher Harris, you are a coward and a fake who hides behind words

35. Fuuzball says:

Here is the Liverpool supporters letter apparently:

Dear advertiser with World Soccer Daily:

As you are probably aware Mr. Steven Cohen has made unsubstantiated remarks on his radio program about the Hillsborough Disaster of April 15th, 1989. I will try to keep this email as brief as possible.

This subject goes back a couple years when Fox Soccer Channel and Sirius Satellite had Mr. Cohen make on air apologies for past remarks. Obviously those were hollow. He offered to debate at the time and one of our US supporters took charge to debate him. Mr. Cohen went on holiday to Australia and when he came back the debate never happened as he made multiple excuses.

Now a few years later after being pressed to substantiate authoritatively his remarks he instead wants another debate. He won’t get one. The time for debate is over. The facts are known that counters what he claims.

What is left is for Mr. Cohen either to produce the authoritative facts surrounding his remarks which have been asked repeatedly of him or for him to explain to his listeners his version of events is an opinion which has been fabricated without authoritative facts of the tragedy and that he will never again fabricate and lie about the Hillsborough tragedy. And further he will have the apology posted on the World Soccer Daily website and the WSD message board as a permanent link. There is a time limit for this request.

If he does not or can not apologize about the lies he has made then the North American Liverpool supporters groups will take action and call for a boycott of all advertisers of his programs on radio and television.

We did this two years ago and that lead to his apparent “forced” on air apology. So we do carry some clout in this matter.

This is not a free speech issue. Mr. Cohen has every right to say what he wants on air within FCC regulations. However he has crossed the line as far as we are concerned. So he is free to say whatever he wants but with free speech one also needs to understand there are consequences to ones action. The potential boycott is one of those consequences.

Now as advertisers, the marketing departments of Sirius and Fox Soccer channel can give you demographics. Your products fit those demographics that is why you choose to be there. However what you may not be able to quantify is what will a boycott by Liverpool supporters actually mean to you. Let me help you.

Here is a link to the Official Website of Liverpool Football Club and the official branches in North America. You can click on the links for the USA and Canada. There are also sub branches in other cities throughout North America besides the main branches listed:

Liverpoolfc.tv: AIB

Whereas the last boycott was then called off when Mr. Cohen apologized on air, although some members to this day still boycott on their own, this time we will have the capacity for a coordinated effort through the various branch email lists besides the usual message boards on multiple supporter websites and the official website for those who are not members.

Again to quantify what this means to your company, Liverpool Football Club and Manchester United are the two best supported clubs worldwide from the Premier League. This extends to North America as well. The official website of LFC gets more hits than any other club website in the UK.

If you are not selling a similar amount of Liverpool related gear as to what you do with Manchester United that is in part due to those in the USA and Canada who already boycott the advertisers. However this time there will be a permanent boycott put in place if Mr. Cohen does not comply with our request above or if at any time in the future he slips up again as it appears he is likely to do based on recent actions. New advertisers will also be made aware of this policy. Further as this season is winding to an end, we will send out a reminder in August when the new season kicks off and membership dues are collected if the boycott is put in place.

Sincerely,
    The North American Liverpool Supporters

(name withheld)
    Acting Representative.

CC:
    North American Branches
    Fox Soccer Channel
    Sirius Satellite
    World Soccer Daily

36. ynwa says:

Hes a shithouse plain and simple he sits in the states spouting the 1st ammendment. Come to liverpool and talk in the city centre about your opinions. He wont cos he knows he can say what he wants from across the pond. Pure coward.

37. Paddy Coughlan says:

SP,

You are a clown….

End Of.

Paddy

38. Paddy Coughlan says:

PS,

You are a clown,

but i cant leave it there,

hide behind this website?

Chris Harris a coward?

Because he stands up for what is right?

You really didn’t spend two years in the same class for nothing did you?

Idiot.

39. PeeDub says:

Ha! It’s laughable! You can honestly look at the above posts and tell which are made by LFC supporters by the amount of violence and profanity in them. Stay classy, scousers.

40. anton says:

“Free speech has consequences.” When reading these words together in the full context of what has transpired over these last few weeks, please understand that there is not one attorney in America who wouldn’t have a field day over its implications. God forbid that some politically motivated District Attorney gets a grasp on the death threats, whispers of implied violence … never mind the civil damages, which according to the anti-WSD crowd appear to be true. If you dismiss this as lawyer-speak, think again: because the US First Amendment includes protection from imminent or potential violence against particular persons (restrictions on Hate speech or fighting words) on the basis of opinion or legally protected status. No other legal system on Earth affords such protection – even if, at times, it protects the rights of even the most vile people on the planet (racists, anti-semites, pornographers, etc).

Sure, the tragedy in question is terrible. Nobody in their right mind could debate this point: such a horrible disaster, to be sure. But threats in response to an opinion – which this has become at its darkest tip of the spear – does nobody any favour.

So ask yourselves this: even though you have the protected right to organize against WSD’s sponsors and may have been successful with a corporation or two, what do you think will happen once these same corporate entities catch wind of the illegal activity surrounding the threats? Yes, threats themselves are a crime and District Attorneys also consider use of the Internet to inflict personal harm as a crime, even though the Supreme Court declared the Internet a “free speech zone” (Reno v ACLU: 1996).

So what will a corporation do under these conditions? Cease ALL sponsorship with every football-related form of media, because that’s the path of least resistance. What you’ll be left with is bland corporate schlock and opinions so sanitized by lawyers that it tastes like dust. Have fun slapping each other on the back for going after an opinion show, when there really is something much bigger at stake … perhaps your own criminal record.

41. Paddy Coughlan says:

Anton,

Please provide evidence of these threats of violence.
    Please provide these in qoutes,and how you perceive them as violent threats.

You should be proud of your comments….very articulate, but unfortunately, irrelevant.

The mission to right this wrong will carry on.
    You are quite entitled to your opinion, just make sure you can stand by it.

I, for one, am proud of my contribution to this cause.

And yes, i am a liverpool supporter,

What of it?

If Cohen made remarks about 9/11 and called all people in both towers and aboard aircraft responsible for their own deaths, would you allow him that?

I thought not.

Kind Regards

Paddy

42. anton says:

Paddy,

Back to your beer, mate! Comparing a stadium tragedy to a terrorist attack is beyond bizarre … I’ve seen enough over the internet in any number of places (you may have seen some of them) to believe that it’s going on.

Bottom line: whether the guy’s opinion is right or wrong, nothing has been learned from such a terrible event (see: recent events in the Ivory Coast). Those among the fallen and their families certainly have my sympathy and have the right to pursue what they feel is just (against those who perpetrated the event, no matter who they are).

I would only hope that the same level of industry could be leveled against FIFA and the CAF, perhaps in the name of those Liverpool fans who have paid the highest price. I just don’t see how pursuing a show’s sponsors really amounts to anything at the end of the day.

Say your successful, which I doubt you will be when all is said and done, dimming the light on a footballing opinion really amounts to something far too shallow given such a human tragedy. Perhaps a noble soul such as yourself could agree with that, perhaps others would unite against the sport’s governing bodies to improve ALL football stadiums so that more Ivory Coast’s don’t happen again.

We are learning nothing from barking at one another, because in the end we all recognize the events of 15-04-1989 as a needless and outrageous tragedy.

Cheers and peace!

43. anton says:

PS – Because you were kind enough to volunteer that Liverpool is your club; I’m a diehard Rossoneri .. Red and Black, through and through. So far be it for me to lecture any club supporter in the realm of sporting decency. Italian football has enough ghosts to go around, from the Ultras to matchfixing to straight out violence around the stadiums … you name it.

Q: (from one Ultra to another) Who’s favoured in this game?
    A: Only the ref and the bookies know for sure.

Regards.

44. S Lee says:

……..think of it this way……. Your father is in a bar after work where he has his usual single beer before heading home to his family. He leaves the bar and on the way home he is involved in a fatal crash where he dies. “Newspaper next day reports – “Drunken man kills himself in collision.”
    What would you ,his son, say to that.
    Is the paper right in saying that, just because its their “opinion” on what happened?
    Like hell it is, just like that Chelsea fool is wrong with his views on Hillsborough. This man is supposed to be a professional sports presenter on a major US network. It doesn’t say much for American tv when the man can rant on about what he THINKS happened 20yrs ago. Where are his FACTS to back up his opinion!?
    Unprofessional and so ignorant!

45. Paddy Coughlan says:

Anton,

I appreciate your decent tone in your reply.
    My likeness between the two events is bizarre and was meant to be.

It is bizarre that cohen should make his comments.

Comments which are wrong.

THat is the crux of this.

He is wrong!!!

It is time he admits this.
    We will pursue his sponsors and believe me, from information gained today, and more comments made by cohen today, our case is strengthened.

We merely aim to put wrong, right.

Kindest regards

Paddy.

Ps, i do like a beer.

46. Bob says:

He never claims to be a professional, just a FAN! He’s entitled to his opinion, right or wrong. You are entitled to agree or disagree, not go after the livelihood of anyone you disagree with. With all that’s going on in the world today, you need to stop living in the past. Move on! Move on scousers!

47. Bob says:

Hey Paddy!

I think you are wrong and should take a hit to the wallet and be forced to apologize even though you don’t want to.

How do you like them apples!

48. Bob says:

Paddy…Intenet tough guy, thug, bully, loser, etc, etc, etc….

49. Emma says:

I’m a Liverpool fan. I don’t think its on that he’s recieved death threats that is quite clearly wrong.
    But what I must make clear to people is that Steve Cohen states that the fans must take some responsibility. I think listening to fans who lived that day that they do feel a certain sense of guilt.
    The Facts of the day are this a number of complaints had been made to the FA from Division 1(Premiership) clubs including Liverpool and Tottenham, about the Hillsborough ground, prior to the game being held there.
    Liverpool despite having a much larger fan base were given the smaller end of the ground.
    Major Roadworks delayed the fans getting there on time which both the South Yorkshire police and the FA were aware of and could as they have done in the past delayed the start of the match.
    Once outside the ground there was no trouble but a large crowd trying to enter through the limited turnstiles. An officer on a horse got caught up in the crowd and began to panick, people in the crowd were being hurt by the horse. This officer requested that a gate be opened, which Chief Inspector Duckenfield who was overseeing the police operation that Day then granted the request. It had not been forced as early reports on the tradgedy had suggested.
    It was also suggested that many were ticketless this was found to be false after an enquirey into the tradgedy. Which Steve Cohen still seems to hint at.
    Duckenfield had very limited experience of such big events and in many peoples opinions should never have been given that role that day.
    On entering Liverpool fans not knowing the ground and having police either side felt that the only place to go was down a tunnel, into the Leppings Lane end.
    They went into an already overcrowded pen The police could of easily closed the tunnel and redirected the fans to other parts of the Leppings Lane end. Remembering that the majority of the fans did not know the Ground.
    There was a penning system in place which divided the Leppings Lane into three,the two pens either side where virtually empty. Had there not been a penning system fans would of automaticly fanned out.
    The fans being crushed begged the police for help but Duckenfield and other officers thought it was crowd trouble. People trying to escape the crush by climbing out of the pens were beaten back by police. Bruce Grobbler our Goalkeeper at the time begged a female officer to do something to open the gate but she couldn’t because at this point Duckenfield Froze.
    Liverpool Fans took matters into there own hands they were helping fans over the pens and from the upper tier lifting fans to safety.
    When the police did help it was to late many people had already been killed. It was later reported that the radios on that day were not working this is also false. As many of the Liverpool fans said officers were on the radios asking for help but were being denied by Duckenfield.
    Many Liverpool fans had risked there own lives helping others and so did some officers. Only one ambulance was allowed to attend to see the to injured and dying. Many fans and police officers were having to do all the medical care on the pitch. Duckenfield still refused to let more ambulances in still siteing crowd trouble. Many people died because of that descision.
    What was initially said about the Liverpool fans that day was done to cover the police and the FAs failures.
    I would like anyone who doesn’t know the facts of Hillsborough to first research the tradgedy before coming to his aid. I do not agree with the fact anyone has threatened him but I do agree that his sponsors should be approached as he said he has freedom of speech and so do we.

50. Paddy Coughlan says:

Bob,

Can you supply me with any of the below:

Audiofiles containing any information that i have provided personally that is wrong.
    (i can give you cohen’s audioscript and file relating to his comments, blackening the names of 96 dead liverpool supporters)

Statements i have made, without any official grounding from inquiries made (taylor Report) pertaining to the Hillsborough tragedy or about Steven Cohen.
    (i can give you many statements made by Cohen, that as such, are inflammatory)

Can you provide me any evidence of my thug nature?
    Or that i am a loser?
    Your attack on me, means nothing.

it does not matter wether or not cohen claims to be professional or not.
    He is using a vast public platform to spout his unsubstantiated lies.

You obviously are not aware of the facts and are bored.

Should you require information regarding this issue, i would be glad to provide it.

Cohen will be hit in the wallet as you put it as long as he continues to spout his, for want of a better word “crap”.

51. Craig Earley says:

What sort of individual on 20th Anniversary of the tragic Death of 96 Fellow Soccer Supporterrs would allow themselves to take advantage of such a terrible time to try and increase their fame? What sort of company could continue to empoy a person who has such a disgusting and irreverent attitude towards people? Opinion is one thing but ill informed opinion is another thing. A British Judge (Lord Taylor) completed a long investigation into Hillsborough and none of what Cohen writes is true. It is defamatory and inflamatory in teh extreme. EPL followers may be interested to know that only now, 20 years later, the turth of Hillsborough is finally getting out with the release of doctored Police records etc. Cohen should hang his head in shame, he is not to be taken seriously or respected.

52. Fuuzball says:

Emma,

Thanks for the write-up. Steven’s point is that, as fans we have to restrain ourselves. By definition we are fanatics, and we can see the effects many times a year. There are tragedies that happen at football grounds all of the time. A tragedy is terrible because lives are lost. Why are the police nervous, or the senior officer nervous? Steve makes a difficult observation, controversial. People act as agroup quite differently than they would individually. You do not have to accept it or like it given that it is your personal tragedy.

People listen to his show precisely because he has the bollocks to take a stand, often wrong in many people’s eyes. Since you can use the internet to anonymously go after him and is sponsors, I am sure you can pressure him and his sponsors. IF you succeed in silencing him or making him play it safe, then you are going to have a lot of people in this country against your actions.

There is no good outcome for all out of this, and it is the price of free speech. We will see if it matters to most.

53. Paddy Coughlan says:

Fuzzball,

This is not a question of free speech.

Understand that.
    You have been hoodwinked by presidents in your country who have hidden behind such walls and amendments.
    You now live in not the united states, but the nation of fear.
    I do not wish to offend americans by that statement, but hey, i can say what i like without backing anything up with facts eh fuzzball?

Who are ya hve pulled out of sponsorship with Cohen.

Next Please!!!!

54. Emma says:

Dear Fuzzball
    I accept that he has his opinion. What worries me is that he talks about Hillsborough tradgedy then specifically says going back to the last subject (Hillsborough). Talks about Hooliganism and Ticketless fans.
    It has long been accepted that the Hillsborough Disaster had nothing to do with either of the above.
    Directly after the disaster the British Press called us murderers, said that the fans had urinated on the dead and dying, Beaten policemen and women who were trying to help. And pickpocketed the dead and dying.
    This suited the Government, Police and the FA because they could just say it was all the fans fault for years we had to live with that.
    We knew the truth, but the police had a major cover up video evidence went missing, Statements were changed etc.
    Then after a few years the Taylor report came out, which I urge you to read before coming to his defence. Taylor had no loyalty to Liverpool or to the police he found that very few of the fans had been drinking, that there were very few ticketless fans. Basicly there was very little the fans could change that would of stopped the disaster. It could of happened to any fans of any team that day.
    Mr Cohen has been very nicey nicey on the show but having read several of his emails you realise that his views are much stronger than he talks about there. He basicly thinks that me, my children, my whole family are scum. In one e-mail he said we are all bad apples and the American press will tell the world that we are. This horrifies me as I said I have children and do I want them growing up in a world were they are seen as bad apples, no certainly not.
    His audience is largely in the US who won’t have as much knowledge about the disaster as the UK. There is a lot potential in a America for the game and him talking about Liverpool fans the way he does, I don’t think is good for the club or the fans.
    He talks about death threats and I do not, nor does anyone I know who would condone this behavior. But to put this in Perspective the referee who, refereed the Champions League semi fianl between his beloved Chelsea and Barcelona. Recieved death threats from Chelsea fans because they lost a football match. So much so that he had to be escorted by police out the country and now has police outside his home on gaurd. But I haven’t heard his response to that behaviour yet.
    The Chelsea team captain John Terry was in trouble in 2001 for upsetting american tourists, by openly mocking the twin towers disaster. Does he talk about that something that I’m sure the American soccer fans would find appalling.
    Every team in Europe has had trouble in the past none of them are exempt, so why act like Liverpool fans are the cause of everything that is bad in the game.

55. Fuuzball says:

Emma,

You do realize that his show’s partner, co-owner and former co-host is Nick Geber, a life-long LFC supporter!

He routinely calls out shocking behaviour by anyone!! He is teased by quite a few people for being a “softie” on these issues, and he is far from a blind supporter of Chelsea football club — he spefically condemmed the behaviour of Chelsea players after the Barcelona club.

You and several other fans sound in a paranoid, incredible world. You are apparently relying on someone that demonizes Steven, but I have been a listen of his for years, and you are making a mountain of a molehill. In the US, we expect people to freely criticize and allege all of the time. If you don’t like it, you are free to change the channel; you do not go an on a personal crusade to silence him.

Paddy,

You can allege or make any point you want. I will choose if I want to believe your conspiracy theories, but I support your right to make them.

Steve was still promoting Who Are You designs on Friday’s show, but if he decides to join your lot, he will kiss a good section of his USA customer base goodbye.

This is your tragedy, but how can you on the face of it imagine that an incident of fans squeezing other fans would have no contribution by the fans themselves. Sure the authorities can do everything wrong, but people also have to have personal responsibility. Even if your stand is that no fault at all exists, why can not others raise the possibility that their was some fault?

56. Paddy Coughlan says:

Fuzzball,

Here’s my usual reply.

Read the facts.

Until then you are ignorant to this issue.

Liverpool fan’s (and this pains me very much, both to remember, and type), crushed each other.
    In the physical sense of how they died, it was “crush asphyxia”.
    Reasons for this:

The supporters were herded into the smallest section of the ground and overflow pens were not opened by the Police Officer in charge, causing the crush.

Liverpool supporters were entitled to a duty of care from the SYP, this was not provided.
    Instead, the great city of liverpool, the football club, the supporters and most importantly, the 96 who died have had their names dragged through the mud by The Sun Rag and the likes of Steven Cohen.

You sir, do not understand the facts as you quite obviously have not read them.

57. Emma says:

Fuzzball

Respectfully, You couldn’t possibly understand the emotions of this issue. As Cohen and yourself state he has a right to free speech, So do we and if I or any other person wish to air my right to free speech towards this man or his sponsors that is up to me.

58. Fuuzball says:

As I posted elsewhere,

This is too emotional of a topic for many is the main point.

The LFC supporters here are paranoid that Steven’s comment will be used to exonerate the authorities somehow. Even when his stance is that the authorities did everything wrong, but some of the fans were not blameless (please I am not trying to re-examine the fine points of the case).

Steven’s listeners on the main see Steve’s point as a fair point to be counterd and weighed, and see the benefit of asking these questions of our game which is a very tribal game.

Although no one will say it, the real fault it seems to me is that Steve talked about an extremely emotional topic (understandable).

The wise thing to do is to not even talk about it. On the other hand, the reason Steven has gained the place he has for his listeners base is because he constantlly does talk about the taboo subjects with no niceties. BTW, on a smaller scale, he recieved lower level ire because people were angry how he disrespected MLS, how he disresoected la Liga, how he favored Ronaldo over Messi. Many even at cetain points complained over their respective topic of interest.

Hopefully, things will calm down for reasonable approach by all.

59. Fuuzball says:

And I am sorry for your loss, and the 96 innocent souls.

60. Fuuzball says:

My sense, and I have been educated by all of your resposnses, is that it is 20 years too early to have this discussion.

61. Paddy Coughlan says:

Fuzzball,

You are correct sir…..it is always too early to talk about this issue.
    Cohen has made many suggestions other than his comments about “shared responsibility”.

“Drunken Hooligans”, liverpool’s history is apparently blackened by series of hooligan activity.

He puts hillsborough in the mould of a hooligan tragedy which my friend, is wrong.

He continues to antagonise and we will not have it.

Respectfully sir, i have enjoyed debating this with you and my heart is indeed warmed by your gentle backdown and my heart is saddened by emma’s dialogue.
    (i mean saddened in a sympathetic way Emma, and you have held your own here with great dignity)

My liverpool shirt will never be emblazened with 39 coffins like Cohen suggests, but will always bear the name of Jon-Paul Gilhooley, a 10 year old boy who died that horrible day and was the same age as me in 1989.

Indeed, i will close with this,

Justice For The 96

That is what this is about…

we will not have their names blackened,

Mr Cohen, you should be ashamed of yourself and you have the entire responsibility for this issue.

Peace and love to all of those who have been involved here objectively and civil.

Paddy