TUES, 2:45PM ET
MAL0
TUES, 2:45PM ET
BEN0
ZEN2

Red Bull Arena Is At The Half Way Point In Construction

newwebcam Red Bull Arena Is At The Half Way Point In Construction

This past Tuesday on April 14th was the topping off of the steel construction of Red Bull Arena and even though the authentic natural turf hasn’t been installed yet, it doesn’t really matter to be honest, because you can see the beauty of the stadium and you can dream right away of how it will shine in the day, night, overcast or sun.

New Jersey Politicians came to Harrison, NJ to join in on the fun with the ceremonies. Harrison Mayor Raymond McDonough, Hudson County Executive Thomas A. DeGise. U.S. Senators Frank R. Lautenberg & Robert Menendez, New Jersey Senate President Richard J. Codey & from the Governor’s office of economic growth Chief Jerry Zaro joined in on the fun with members of the Red Bulls front office and coaching staff with MLS Commishioner Don Garber in Attendance.

Watching the video on the Red Bulls official site of the final piece of steel being connected to one of two giant screens on the north & south sides of the stadium was such a wonderful moment in my eyes. Ever since Lamar Hunt got behind Major League Soccer like he did back in the glory days of the NASL as we all know created the very first Soccer Specific Stadium that is Columbus Crew Stadium. The only home that we in this area have ever known for soccer either in NASL, MLS & the US National Team was at Giants Stadium. Well now that the Red Bull Arena is at the halfway point and will be completed before the 2010 MLS Season this is the official final season of Giants Stadium. This will be the last season to play on the field turf, the last season to see the NFL grid lines during both the Giants & the Jets seasons, the last time a ball will be bouncing so hard and high. No more interference and no more hooligan stadium security guards runed by the NJSEA who hates the sport and the fans with a passion. Sure they want to make the money if the USA wins a World Cup Tournament either in 2018 or 2022, but they still hate the sport.

The next phase of construction is to add the rows in the upper deck, add the seats, finish building the main offices, locker rooms, TV & Radio Studios and the suites. There has been three different events at that site in Harrison, NJ. The groundbreaking ceremony late 2006 MLS Season, the First piece of Steel erected towards the middle of the 2008 season & now the topping off ceremony of steel construction this past Tuesday. The next great ceremony will be one of two dates. If the Red Bulls right their ship and have a successful CONCACAF Champions League campaign they could host a Quarterfinal match in early 2010, or if they flop early in the Qualifying Round or in the Group Stage, it will be the start of the 2010 MLS Season.

There has been plenty of delays before this project finally got off the ground. If it wasn’t for all the stupid and silly red tape of typical NJ Government politics or the former President of the NJSEA George Zoffinger going against A.E.G. when they owned the Metros and nearly 3/4ths of the league five years ago. Finally the NYC/Northern NJ area has a place to go to see their club play (Not ignoring the USL-1st Expansion side FC New York, but right now they have shown no plans or designs of building their own stadium. But I do know they do want to build one.) exciting football and finally calling Red Bull Arena home.

As I have said so many times, this is the proper way of making our league and US Soccer better. Building our own stadiums & stop paying rent to play in facilities that the pro sides can’t control both in MLS & USL. Finally the greatest city in the world will have the ability to use public transit with the PATH Station that is directly across the street & NJ Transit Train Station to get into the Harrison/Newark area as well as Amtrak for visiting supporters like DC United, the Revolution and 2010 expansion side Philadelphia. It’s a glorious day to be an American Soccer fan, it’s a fantastic time to be a Red Bull Supporter.

Red Bull Arena Webcam http://www.earthcam.com/clients/redbullarena/

This entry was posted in Leagues: Major League Soccer, Red Bull New York. Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Red Bull Arena Is At The Half Way Point In Construction

1. Cavan says:

It’s good to be a fan of the game in our country too. I never had a reason to visit to see a Red Bulls game. This stadium will be an excellent reason to make a weekend trip of it.

It’s great that the Red Bulls will finally play in a place with a great atmosphere. Red Bull fans deserve it after sticking it out at Giants Stadium all these years. The Red Bulls also deserve a professional-grade grass field to call home.

2. Fan says:

They are way past the halfway point since they started in late 2006.

3. LI Matt says:

… it’s a fantastic time to be a Red Bull Supporter.

It would be an even more fantastic time if the team scored some goals….

4. eplnfl says:

NY fans should look forward to a great experience once they have a SSS of their own. There is no doubt that the recent success at the gate by my hometown Chicago Fire is in part due to the opening of Toyota Park. The giant stadiums while in some cases very good for soccer such as Soldier’s Field in Chicago make the game a more remote experience even when it is packed. Let me say I have had the experience to be in Soldier’s Field for a USA v. Mexico game that was packed but it is nowhere near the feeling that the much smaller Toyota Park brings to the fan.

Few give the MLS credit for it but every SSS that opens for it’s teams is another foundation for the league itself.

5. kyle says:

I know this is off topic, but is anybody else worried that we will play Italy in 2 months with Pearce at LB and Hejduk at RB due to Cherundolo having hip Surgery.

6. Kevin says:

Looks real nice. I’m jealous. Damn shame about the team though.

7. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Kyle, it’s off topic. But honestly Cherundolo has been slipping up so in a way there will be better players getting a chance like Jonathan Bornstein. Now is their an on topic comment you would like to add?

8. kyle says:

As for Redbull Arena, It is a great move for the team as having your own stadium adds revenue and stability. Also I think having this stadium allows the Red Bulls to have a true home field advantage. It sounds like this new stadium will be more accesible by local transport which is a bonus.

9. Lars says:

Soccer specific stadiums are a great thing for teams. They bring in additional revenue, give an authentic feel to the game and reduce rents for teams.

10. Dude says:

While having your own stadium is financially essential, it is not the reason why I watch the “beautiful game,” and ultimately not the the reason why I don’t support Red Bull New York (well 100% support – I cheer for them here and there).

Having to deal with the Energy Drink to get the soccer stadium seems like a dishonest compromise when I see RSL, Philly, TFC and others build their stadium without baring the commercial baggage Red Bull requires.

Red Bull is not Football, and it surely isn’t beautiful.

11. Cavan says:

um, ask us DC United supporters about how we feel about having a large corporate sponsor as it relates to a stadium. That stadium is going to be nice, and transit-accessible too. What’s not to like?

If you don’t like it, we’ll take it.

12. Dude says:

Cavan,

No one was talking about a stadium or jersey sponsors. Would you support Ocean Spray Washington after the years under DCU?

I feel you DC fans. It would be a huge disservice to the league if DC moves. Why not knock down RFK? Is it landmarked?

13. Cavan says:

RFK was built in 1960. That was before the District of Columbia had home rule. Therefore, the stadium and all land underneath it are owned by the federal government. Since home rule was instituted, the city has been tasked with managing it. However, the legislation is such that once the stadium ceases to be occupied, it shall be torn down and all land reverts to the federal government, specifically the National Park Service.

As we’re seeing with Poplar Point, it takes years to get Congress to turn land over to the local DC government. Quite simply, a bunch of representatives from other places really don’t care about local DC (and surrounding regional) issues. After all, that’s why home rule was instituted during the Nixon Administration. The elected officials from other places don’t want to spend time on local issues when they are there to work on federal matters.

There are also rumors of the current mayor (the one who backstabbed DC United at Poplar Point, even though the land hasn’t been turned over to the DC Government yet) making deals with Redskins owner Dan Snyder to construct a 100k seat MegaDome with retractable roof. However, those matters are all rumor and are a distant second to the fact the land that’s under RFK is tied up in years if not decades of Congressional red tape.

14. Cavan says:

You have a fair point about the name thing. I don’t know how I’d react if United’s name was changed but other than that, they were the same team with the same history. I can see how it could damper enthusiasm a bit.

15. Cavan says:

… although VW United is slightly catchy if not mildly distasteful.

16. Pyro says:

Dude – your comments do not take into consideration that RB purchased the team when MLS was looking to divest and and found a strong business partner in RedBull. Now you can quibble with the “pride” one take in rooting for an energy branded Football team, but recoginze this: RBNY is football and they are your local club, so get off your butt and support them. Many football fans around this country would kill to have an MLS team in their backyard.

(Although as a FIRE fan, I agree, your team is not beautiful)

17. Dude says:

That’s terrible Cavan. DC in both politics and “sports tug-a-wars” gets taken advantage of. DCU disbanding would truly be a sad day in American soccer, and one that would make me question MLS as a fan-dedicated league.

To Pyro,

I supported the Metrostars and, for a year-and-a-half, I supported the Red Bulls in some form of American soccer denial. After years of denying the embarrassment of supporting a team called Red Bull New York, I realized that I have ideals and principles that, by supporting RBNY, I compromised. Letting a company (non-American at that) clear the history of MY club, and further using it as marketing devalues who I am and is something I will never support. I take offense to anyone who says that I am lazy, because I still remember my pre-college dream of one day becoming a season-ticket holder. Unfortunately, when I graduated, my team had already died.

Most people claim some statement like this, “Well we wouldn’t have gotten the stadium without Red Bull.” Is a team identity, history, and pride really worth the price of a stadium? How much does your club cost to you?

And any person who claims that the product on the field has increased is truly a person that cannot face the facts (DCU and Fire fans know this very well). I want an MLS team in my backyard, just not one that makes me look like the Stupid “Soccer” American.

18. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Dude, to be honest here. Did you think having Anschutze running the club was going to get us that stadium? You do know that his Qwest business was involved with something illegal or somewhere it was reported that it was. George Zoffinger who was running the Meadowlands at that time said on Mike & Mad Dog about the Meadowlands Xanadu project the MetroStars should leave Giants Stadium to build their own stadium, but was part of the lynch mob to stop the club from building it, because A.E.G. was carrying them & 6 others.

So yes Dude, Red Bull did bring the stadium. They were the ones who broke the political red tape and all that baggage crap that Anschutz had with all those delays. Also they never erased the history of the club. Clint Mathis is still the all time goal scoring leader with 45 goals in all competitions. Giovanni Savarese is stil has the record for most goals scored in the regular season & Juan Pablo Angel has the record for scoring the most goals in a single season with 19 passing Adolpho Valencia.

Now if you feel that Red Bull is just promoting themselves and you think they don’t care about the soccer, then that’s your belief and I’m not going to get in your way. If you attended the ESC meeting with RBNY at Nevada Smith’s before the USA/Sweden Friendly, you would’ve liked to hear that Red Bull wants the Salary Cap raised to a competabale level, not at the low 2.3 Million that it’s on right now and hopefully during the C.B.A. Negotiations that will be fixed as these new investors coming in wants to have a competitive league to bid on players.

Are you angry that Metro is gone? In your eyes I understand. It’s not about being the “Stupid Soccer American”. It’s about having this league move forward and this club in the New York City area having success as well. You have to remember that everyone in NYC even though there are pubs that show Euro football didn’t want to be associated with the league. No one wanted Metro to build a stadium in the 5 boroughs & care for the US National Team till that performence in 2002. Since then it all blew up and the positives have been coming. Granted it’s been slow, and there have been years where the level of play has stalled a bit, but neither Metromedia or A.E.G. cared about Metro & Red Bull came in did.

Fine they took away the colors and slapped their brand on the front, but you wouldn’t be saying all this if they did keep the colors & badge of Metro and slap their brand on the front of the shirts. You would be joining in with the many that would say “Finally my jersey looks like it does in Europe”.

You feel your club is dead, fine. My club is alive but under a new shield since 2006. But if for some reason you want to come back, I will open the door, shake your hand and tell you to come on in. If not, then I understand. After all Metro never got to a CONCACAF Champions Cup in 10 years while Red Bull NY got us in the CONCACAF Champions League in it’s first three years.

19. Dude says:

“You feel your club is dead, fine. My club is alive but under a new shield since 2006. But if for some reason you want to come back, I will open the door, shake your hand and tell you to come on in.”

Cheers. I was hoping that those Red Bull sale rumors were true. And a part of me will always think they are.

20. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Here is something I forgot to mention. Are Leverkusen supporters upset that Bayer Asperin has their name and the tablet as apart of their shield since 1904?

Or the P in PSV stands for the Philips Electronics company at Eindhoven in dutch? Wolfsberg is owned by Volkswagon, and their company shield is slapped on the front of their shirts.

Dude, if these supporters can accept and support their clubs that are owned and advertised by these corporations, then I don’t mind having Red Bull show their logos within the shield.

21. Jorge Maradona says:

I am a philadephia Union Fan and my family of 5 are planning to go to the Red Bulls to watch this great match and to see the NJ Red Bulls SSS Stadium for the first time.

PS: It is true that I can catch a PATH train from Philadelphia into Harrison and the REd Bulls SSS Stadium is located within walking distance of 3 to 5 minutes from the Harrsion stop?