WED, 12PM ET
JUV2
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV0
MON1

How Bayern Can Beat Barca

UEFA Champions League logo 2 svg How Bayern Can Beat Barca

Following this weekend’s drubbing at the hands of Wolfsburg, Bayern come into the hardest tie of the quarter finals of the Champion’s League on a low. Can they overcome the humiliation at the VW to get a result at Camp Nou against arguably the best team in Europe? Yes, they can.

Here’s how.

First, they need to shore up the defense which was picked apart by Misimovic, Dzeko and Grafite. First they need to revert to a 4-2-3-1. Padding their defense with a double-six would protect the weakest part of the team; however, Van Bommel and Ze Roberto are not strong enough to do that job, seeing as how they couldn’t handle Josue and Misimovic. I think Klinsmann would be better suited to slotting Ottl next to Van Bommel as the two players to sit in front of Breno and Dimichelis.

A three man attacking midfield would do a couple of things. First it would keep Podolksi off the pitch and would allow Sosa a chance to show his mettle on the biggest stage. He’s ready to break out and this could be the catalyst. Next, a four man attack of Toni and the three mids will allow the FB’s to sit back and defend, which is crucial for Lahm as he will be facing the twin attack of Messi and Alves. Finally, Ribery comes into this game knowing that he will be facing off to a worldwide audience with one of his few contemporaries: Lionel Messi. Give Franck freedom and he’s going to be ready to put on the show, especially if they can use Ottl and Van Bommel to absorb pressure and give him the outlet to run at Barca on the counter. Ribery is selling himself this series. We can act like he’s not leaving, but he probably will and another performance to match his double for les Blues and he can put him self into Torres and Berbatov transfer range.

Remember these two teams are very similar: they like possession, they have a variety of players who can do the incredible and they have shaky defenses and shakier keepers. So, Bayern has to play this game for the moment of inspiration, when someone creates a moment of beauty. With Schwiensteiger, Sosa, Toni and Ribery on the pitch, it gives them four potential candidates.

Yes Bayern had a bad weekend, but they had it against a very good side. But also a side with supreme confidence. If they can match Wolfsburg’s confidence as they visit Barcelona, they can dust themselves off after the 16 minute fiasco this weekend and come away with at least a draw and a goal, but only if they scrap the 4-4-2 and make some changes to the personnel.

Also, if they see someone back-heel the ball towards the net – SLOWLY – they might want to think of putting a foot to the ball.

8 Responses to How Bayern Can Beat Barca

1. Andrew says:

I like the idea of playing 4-2-3-1 as it has proved effective against Barca. However, I am less than fond of having Ze Roberto, Poldi and Borowski on the bench. I think Ottl is capable of starting, but I am not sure how I feel about giving Sosa such a big role in a vital match.

2. Muh says:

Judging from the latest performances I can see the point of not wanting to have Podolski on the bench, he would probably extremly underperform even there. 4 – 2 – 3 – 1 with Sousa for a starter sounds good if you ask me. He maybe is a top or flop decision and if it is flop he could always be subed at half time. The biggest hope would be a Ribery show par excellence but then Barcelona is aware of that too so they might just kill him. Which then could open up spaces which Sousa seems most likely to be able to make good use of at this point. I’m not a fan of Schweinsteiger but he has been having his best matches against Portugal and other Southern European/South American teams I guess.

If they stick with 2 up front the thought occured that it sounds like a good idea to give that 19year old hopeful a chance, Mueller I think is his name. Adds some surprise up front and not even very risky as his performance would have to be compared to a potential Podolski no-show.

3. Poldi says:

Totally agree with the 4-2-3-1. Poldi is useless for Bayern at the moment (ignore my handle, I’m a Cologne fan). Toni is enough to bind two defenders, so Schweinsteiger and Ribery can try to get to the goal. I am not sure about Sosa, where would you play him? Central midfield? I think that’s a little too much. I’d play Ottl and van Bommel as double six and Ze Roberto in central midfield. Schweini right, Franck left.
    I also agree with Muh that Müller is definitely a good surprise move, maybe as a sub for Schweinsteiger later in the game. Bayern’s bench is terrible, anyway. (Borowski? Oddo? Anyone else?)
    Bayern’s problem is defense, imho. Van Buyten gone, Lucio injured, that leaves Demichelis and Breno as central defenders and Lell (!) on the right side, maybe Oddo. Not exactly frightening for Eto’o, Henry, Messi et al.
    Well, maybe Rensing (who is an excellent keeper, I think) has his breakout.
    Looking forward to tonight.

4. Poldi says:

Well, Lahm injured, Butt plays instead of Rensing (says the “Kicker”). Bayern will be lucky to keep it in single digits. At least Altintop is back on the bench.

5. diana says:

‘If they stick with 2 up front the thought occured that it sounds like a good idea to give that 19year old hopeful a chance, Mueller I think is his name.’
    Muh, are you referring to Thomas Mueller? He is the only person I can think of playing at Bayern at the moment. Not to be confused with his famous namesake in Der Bomber.

‘Well, Lahm injured, Butt plays instead of Rensing (says the “Kicker”).’
    In fact, even the online version of Bild reported it too. In regards to Rensing not in goal but Butt instead. We shall see what happens then, even with Lahm out now.

6. Double Pivot says:

Anyone think that Rensing’s injury might not be an injury?

7. diana says:

DP, he has an injury? What’s going on? Anyhow, the confirmed line-ups are in. Via Reuters which has also being confirmed from the UEFA website…Butt is definitely in goal with Rensing on the bench.

News agency SID quoted from Bild’s website that Klinsmann had said that this was not an easy decision for him. Given of Butt being part of Bayer Leverkusen in the 2002 CL final and the fact that they are playing Barcelona at the moment, he gets the nod. Butt’s experience on such occasions has swung into favour of him. From what I read (given my German is bad and I am actually depending on Google Translate), this is not a snub to Rensing.

8. Muh says:

@Diana, yes, thats the one I mean, I think he didnt even go a long to Barcelona though and is officially still in the second team, maybe next time, if Bayern ever gets into CL again

Taking out Rensing sure was a surprise move, not that it did them much good. Just got to hurt Rensing though, his standing will be even harder now. Not a very wise long term decision if u ask me.