I was fortunate to be invited on a conference call with FOX Sports International and Setanta Sports to discuss the new UEFA Champions League packages for the US market beginning next season. FOX takes over as the primary package from ESPN and Setanta has acquired a separate package which includes exclusive broadband rights.
Here are some quick points about the deal.
- Fox Sports Net will air 16 Tuesday matches from the qualifying rounds in August until the semifinal. Areas without an FSN owned station will probably see the matches on an FSN affiliate like CSN or Sun Sports, for example.
- Fox Soccer Channel will show two live games per week and three games on tape delay during the group stages.
- Setanta will have two live games each week during the group stages.
- FOX is looking into the possibility of using on site commentators from the international feed.
- FSC will have live pre and post game shows as well as a daily 30 minute wrap up show.
- The final for each of the three seasons of this package will be shown on Fx in HD. Fx is in as many homes nationally than ESPN 2
- Setanta will be re-launching its broadband product next month with enhanced video quality.
I’m curious to gauge the view of our readers as to whether or not you feel this package is satisfactory and also whether or not you will miss ESPN’s coverage of the event?