SAT, 7AM ET
CRY
SAT, 10AM ET
QPR
SUN

MLS True Champion & Defender in Europe, Ivan Gazidis

gazidis 139994t MLS True Champion & Defender in Europe, Ivan Gazidis

Every time there has been an article about David Beckham wanting to leave Major League Soccer on the footballing side or those cronies in the English press trying to knock down our league and American supporters that they have no idea about real football, here is a man that will stand up on top of a soap box and tells the media in England & all of Europe what’s the real truth about our league. That man is apart of the board at Arsenal Football Club in England and his name is Ivan Gazidis.

For the first time in the fourteen years of existence of America’s first division league, Commissioner Don Garber will be missing his true right hand man. While Don Garber is considered the facial leader of MLS, Ivan truly was the man setting up the rules and regulations of keeping the league on the straight and narrow in the financial & player acquiring department. For the first time when Don Garber took over for Doug Logan as Commissioner of the League he will be looking for an opinion from a person that will be considered Ivan’s replacement. But I wouldn’t be surprised if Don did make a couple of phone calls once in a while for some advice.

From the BBC Sport site here is an video interview with Ivan Gazidis discussing David Beckham, MLS, and if the sport has made an impact inside the USA. Click the link and after watching it please continue with my story.

With regards to the city of Seattle Gazidis is correct. Not only was it big to see 20,000 season tickets being sold, but to be honest the city of Seattle has always been football mad either during the old years of the NASL, the A-League/USL-1st Division chapters and this coming season going into MLS. There is plenty of history with the sport in Seattle and they have won a couple of USL-1st Division titles. Twice they were a goal away or a penalty kick shootout goal away from reaching the US Open Cup Final. This wasn’t done by David Beckham’s popularity joining MLS, Seattle has had this all along.

Why do you think the supporters of the Portland Timbers were marching in the city? It wasn’t for their health of course, but their desire to get their club promoted to the first division of American Soccer. Once again this wasn’t David Beckham’s doing. The people of Portland, Oregon wanted this to happen.

This is what the people and the press in England has to understand and why Ivan Gazidis is a firm believer that MLS will stay and survive before and after Beckham leaves the league. He knows that the support of the game will flourish here in the states and because of the internet and those special cable TV or satillite channels for football will make it even better & so far it has. Without the internet we wouldn’t be having these sites, blogs dedicated to the world’s favorite game & MLS Talk and all of it’s other sites wouldn’t be here either without the creation of the internet.

I am hoping that Ivan will have a successful tenure over at Arsenal and at the same time continue to sing the praises of MLS. Obviously this was a dream come true for him as he wanted to join one of England’s storied clubs and work in their boardroom. But as he was weeping a bit leaving MLS, I wouldn’t be surprised that one day he will get that phone call from MLS HQ in NYC and Don Garber will step down and ask Ivan too take over as Commissioner of our league. I would like to think that this could happen in the future.

13 Responses to MLS True Champion & Defender in Europe, Ivan Gazidis

1. The Battery says:

Found this site recently. Is this just another pro MLS site that spews nothing critical of the league?

2. Ian Brooks says:

Ummm, Im a eurpean and know all abour mls. Please don’t make blanket generalizations.

3. The Battery says:

By the way all of 150 people marched in Portland.

After the NASL, MLS is truly bush league. I look forward to downloading that show advertised here on the NASL.

If you like soccer watch the Battery this season on Friday Nights on FSC. We play an engaging attacking style and are very successful.

Also, watch the only team from the United States in the CONCACAF Champions League semifinals. They don’t play in MLS but in USL!

4. Lars says:

Actually, Battery, Daniel is very pro-MLS, but the site is generally mixed. Lots of criticisms of both USL and MLS. The leagues both need improvement.

5. Daniel Feuerstein says:

The Battery: Instead of posting and saying I don’t care about the USL, first of all why don’t you look back a couple of pages and see my Pro/Rel argument. In fact I am pro USL as well as pro MLS. I am more Pro MLS, pro USL, than that fake Steven Cohen.

I wish some of you guys would stop assuming I hate USL and try to look at the facts. In fact I am going to write a USL piece next. But since “The Battery” had to act like a jerk & thought I was anti-USL I don’t know now.

I guess I’ll still write it since The Battery doesn’t speak for every single USL fan out there.

6. JOHAS says:

Daniel, the majority of the recent articles in the English press have been favorable, even arguably sympathetic to MLS and the Galaxy.

I suggest you read recent articles in the Times, the Independent, the Telegraph and the Guardian before shooting off your mouth.

As far as USL, what argument to be made? MLS can continue to develop creative marketing and well thoughts out, maybe even poll driven excuses from a bunch of lawyers and suits, but Montreal had more points in the group stage than all of MLS combined and Puerto Rico has advanced further in the tournament than any MLS team.

I for one am not surprised. USL is a minor league based on facilities and money but the technical coaching has always been better in USL. As someone whose gone to games in both leagues, I’ve always found the USL football more entertaining and more in sync with the European game than MLS.

Look if you are going to be like MLS with all these strange rules and such then go at aggressively play on the world stage like the NASL did. The American player wasn’t very good then, but no one can ever convince me MLS produces the kind of football the NASL did. Honestly, it is not even worth debating.

7. Lars says:

Slightly unrelated, this regards expansion. From Canada’s Largest National Newspaper, the Grope and Flail.

8. Daniel Feuerstein says:

Johas. Why are even debating the difference between the NASL & MLS? I know what the difference was back then to now. MLS is only 14 years old starting Thursday, March 19th when you had footballers all over the world coming here with no salary cap and no rules on how to acquire players. The only reason these rules were put in for MLS was to not lose the league in a short period of time. To allow it to grow and stay viable for a longer period of time than what the NASL was.

When MLS was created the only thing that was a difference between America & everywhere else, we did not have our own grounds/stadiums that were made for the game. That’s why our clubs played in NFL & American College Football Stadiums. If Lamar Hunt didn’t create Columbus Crew Stadium, this league would still be in those NFL & American College Football Stadiums.

But now that the contract between the League & the Players Union is about to end, MLS understands that they have to make changes so player transfers inside the league & out must be changed as well as raising the ammout on the salary cap. But still in England clubs don’tpay rent for the grounds they play in, they own them, while that’s not the case here in the states at the moment for MLS & USL.

9. Lars says:

Yes, there will be clear changes to the way the salaries are structured. Look to the MLS to withdraw the ownership of the players, as players salaries are kept depressed by this. Salary cap will remain in place, but will be increased by a small amount. The tight restrictions in MLS are what keep Kansas and other small market teams in play.

If St. Louis gets the eastern franchise during the expansion, Kansas will be able to move from small to medium sized market with a new SSS being built. Vancouver and St. Louis will likely get the 2011 franchises.

10. USA in 2010 says:

Daniel- I appreciate your enthusiasm but why must you get so worked up about anyone who disagrees with you. Any criticism here you try and bite the other people’s heads off.

Other people’s opinions are legitimate. Your behavior on the podcast the other week was embarrassing. Your writing smacks of self riotousness. Kartik, who I typically like was disgraceful too in not restraining you that day. Thankfully his last two guests have been top class and have restored his credibility.

Take a deep breathe, inhale and get that damn chip off your shoulder.

We’ll all be better for it.

11. Daniel Feuerstein says:

First of all USA in 2010, I wasn’t angry on that last comment. I was explaing the situation that I hope will change. About Beckham, aren’t you angry that our league was being treated like this? Weren’t you angry that he had to say so much that wasn’t true by him? Someone had to speak the truth & if it was in an angry tone then guess what, it had to be done.

Listen to me please. It happened back in 2000 when Lothar Matthaus didn’t respect our league when he played for the MetroStars and was caught with his girlfriend in the beaches of France after the Euro cup tournament. Now Beckham behind the Galaxy’s back orchastrated this whole debacle. Sooner or later one of these big Euro Stars has to be taught a lesson for the way they treated our league and one of our clubs.

If I can’t speak for the fans that supports MLS, USL & all of US Soccer, then I’m just another guy posting a comment. When is it enough to have smoke blown up your backside? But I promise you, I’m not angry. Annoyed. But not Angry. The next time I do a podcast with Kartik, I promise you and everyone else, I’ll be alot calmer. :-D

12. USA in 2010: Thanks for your concerns but it’s not my nature or my style to restrain or censor guests. Daniel had a clear point of view on the Beckham matter articulated through many posts and quite frankly had I wanted to restrain his point of view we never would have recorded that show.

You are more than welcome to come on yourself to discuss your point of view which appears to be different. Email me at kkfla737@yahoo.com.

13. thomask says:

One thing which would very much help perceptions of soccer in NAmerica is to get away from the polarizing effects of ‘major’ and ‘minor’ league designations.

Fifa’s div i, ii, iii etc designations allow for many more degrees of quality and the pyramidic structure ensures that each level can be measured according to merit.

Once this is widely accepted then the confusion in the minds of potential supprters is immediately dispelled and commentators can refocus attention back to playing matters – which is what true fans really care about.