WED, 2:45PM ET
ATL
MAL
WED, 2:45PM ET
LEV
ZEN

Tell Us What's Missing In Your Soccer Experience

Because you’re someone who lives and breathes the beautiful game, I want to tap your knowledge for a couple of minutes to find out what are the obstacles and/or pains you encounter when trying to watch or follow the Premier League on a weekly basis.

Sure, HD broadcasts of games would be wonderful, but what – for you – are the things that are missing that you find cause you the most aggravation or consume the most amount of wasted time? Think of a typical week following the Premier League on the Internet or on TV.

Your time is valuable, so I want to thank you in advance for sharing your feedback below by clicking the comments link.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

21 Responses to Tell Us What's Missing In Your Soccer Experience

1. Demons says:

Don't know if this falls directly under your question, but from a fantasy soccer perspective, I find it difficult to find starting line-up information.

Also, it seems that when airing a game, it's difficult to get other scores around the league. Maybe that's the ESPN training of the scores running at the bottom of the screen, but at least more frequent scoreboard updates in the corner would be nice.

2. RIP says:

I think we need something like “NFL Season Ticket” or “MLB Extra Innings”. It seems silly that someone can't see their favorite team. An internet package with every game would be nice as well.

3. Kevin says:

I think to many channels, with to many ways to watch. For example, I have FSC and Setanta by broadband because unfortunatly Comcast doesn't provide Setanta. In addition to actually finding out which games are available on which channel and when (which is a chore in and of itself)I am shuffling between my TV where I can DVR games and my computer where I can't. Even more annoying is when you ad the champions league/uefa cup to the mix where schedules do not seem to be set until a few days before the game.

I agree with the above post that an “NFL Season Ticket” like type programming would be excellent. And of course the HD broadcast would be great too.

4. Pandamonium says:

I'd simply love to have more games on TV …

5. whats missing in my experience is Keeley Hazel wearing an arsenal kit. just google keeley hazel arsenal for the pic

6. Patrick says:

What's missing is insightful posts on this blog.

end of

7. Dave says:

I miss the pre match/half time/full time analysis in a calm and balanced manner on FSC
    I miss a 15 or 30 minute build up to the match with the teamsheets posted and the variables of the game presented for discussion and thought.
    I miss proper highlights at the end of the game that include the WHOLE game rather than the last 45 minutes.
    I miss a panel of ex players/coaches that KNOW the game…They might be full of shit and I might not agree with their opinions (see shearer BBC) but i miss listening to what they have to say
    I miss a panel breaking down a few key moments in each half and showing specific turning points in the game (NOTE TO FSC… Key moments are NOT ALWAYS goals scored)
    I miss a Presenter/panel that can sit back in a chair and give us a calm and well thought opinion rather than someone SHOUTING OUT AT THE VIEWER ALL THE TIME ABOUT THE GUINNESS/HARP/BASS PLAY OF THE DAY AND TALKING AS FAST AND AS LOUD AS HE CAN BECAUSE THEY ONLY HAVE 30 SECONDS TO FIT EVERYTHING IN BEFORE WE GO FOR YET ANOTHER BLOODY AD BREAK
    I miss the presenters actually BEING at the game and watching the supporters file out behind them as they finish their analysis

FSC is all we have and I am glad for it but there is nothing that compares to a panel that lives and breathes the game…and I miss that
    Warren Barton looks like a cardboard cutout on Saturdays…loosen up and spend some money on pre production FSC….PLEASE!

Anyway….that's what I miss

8. Stephen says:

I think we're pretty well served in the US, to be honest. If you subscribe to FSC and Setanta, you have access to 6 or 7 live EPL games a week, as well as live games from other competitions and countries. With ESPN showing the Euros and Champions League, Sky Sports news on FSC, Setanta Sports news and the internet, I certainly have enough available to keep me entertained and informed.

As Dave said in his post, what is missing is the build-up and informed post match discussion. You sometimes get it on Setanta, if they are showing one of their own broadcasts from the UK (rather than relaying a Sky Sports feed), but it doesn't happen often enough.

FSC's EPL presentation starts at the kick-off and ends with the final whistle. The Super Sunday + show doesn't cut it. They could do a much better job of wrapping the Saturday and Sunday EPL games around a pre- and post-match review show. Make it one long show that starts an hour or 30 mins before the first live game and ends an hour after the last live game. Give us half-time and full-time reports from the other games, team news, interviews with players and coaches, give us a taste of the atmosphere inside the ground as the stadium fills up and during half-time.

In short, I want to feel involved in what's happening. FSC's presentation makes me feel like I'm just observing.

9. Ryan says:

My problem is, mostly, regional in that I have to get up at the crack of dawn to catch the weekend games.

I'd love a nice replay schedule in the afternoons so I wouldn't have to deprive myself of sleep after a long night of work.

Maybe I should just move to Europe.

10. cftv37 says:

Here is a story from the WSJ about the NHL and their new website and how they are taking it to the next level with online streaming. You can get a package for 169 dollars a season for all of the NHL Games on your computer.

11. SSReporters says:

I'm missing competent American commentators, and FSC has to stop showing Newcastle or West Ham…….if that is supposedly the cream of the crop then FSC has given up its soul to Setanta.

12. The Gaffer says:

Demons,

Good observations, thanks.

The reason why the scores aren't mentioned during games is because a lot of people watch matches on DVR. So the last thing they want are mad soccer fans finding out what the score is for a different game they haven't had a chance to watch yet.

13. The Gaffer says:

Patrick,

Let me know if you're interested in writing insightful articles for EPL Talk. Seriously. Otherwise, please be patient. It's not easy coming up with insightful posts every day : )

14. The Gaffer says:

Thanks everyone for your excellent ideas and suggestions. But instead of ways to improve your experience on TV, what are your biggest frustrations about watching/following/reading about the Premier League online?

15. Patrick says:

So you make a slanderous post filled with half truths to fill the gap?

sorry but my opinion of this blog is gone.

16. I have to admit, when I read comments like this last once Patrick, it makes me ask a simple question…why continue to come back?

The last time I checked you could go to any blog you wanted to, yet you continue to come back?

So to that I say thank you for your readership and your continued readership.

17. The Gaffer says:

Come on Patrick. There was no slander or half truths.

18. TokyoToffee says:

I hate it when Radio FiveLive commentaries of matches by the likes of Alan G get blocked out to non-UK just as kick-off time approaches. David Pleat never gets blocked out in those discussion type progs.

19. Stephen says:

Tokyo

Try using a proxy service like worldproxy202.com. From there you can enter the URL for the commentary and you will be able to listen online.

I used it the other night to listen to the West Ham/Watford game on BBC Radio London. Works great!

20. Weston says:

My biggest frustration is just the way British media conducts itself. It seems very tabloid-esque and over-dramatized, much like Didier Drogba anywhere within 10 yards of the goal.

21. i8msft says:

I miss Football Focus, MOTD and as already noted meaningful pre and post analysis. More and longer highlights instead of every game being live or not available at all.

I miss an actual newspaper with football coverage I can read on the bus, the potty or where ever. And the time lag from the west coast and my inability to get up real early due to kids and other things really sucks.

Cheers!