WED, 2:45PM ET
SAT, 10AM ET
LIV
WBA
SAT, 10AM ET
SWA
NEW

Michael Owen To Leave Newcastle On A Free Transfer?

Michael Owen Picapp 63105 Michael Owen To Leave Newcastle On A Free Transfer?

This morning the News of the World printed a story that will strike fear through most Newcastle United fan’s hearts; their most expensive player, Michael Owen, could be leaving them for £16 million less than he cost. Owen, believed to be earning £120, 000 per week, is refusing to renew his contract with Newcastle, because they will not continue to pay him his current salary. Owen is thought to be happy to stay with the magpies, his only qualm being his salary.

As the News of the World correctly said, if a new deal has not been signed by January other teams will be free to court the Newcastle striker, and provide more than enough money to keep Owen happy. Newcastle do have the option to form a damage limitation strategy and sell him off cheaply before next summer comes around, but even then they will still have made substantial losses.

Many would argue that salary should not be an issue if you’re earning over £30, 000 per week, so is Michael Owen being selfish and unreasonable to expect a six figure payment every week? The Newcastle captain will see other club talismans being paid a stupid amount and expect the same himself; Ronaldo is also believed to be earning £120,000 per week.

If Michael Owen were to leave on a free transfer it would be a huge blow to Newcastle’s morale. The Toon accepted him from the off and he has been treated as one of their own. The fact that Keegan decided to make him captain would be the straw that broke the camel’s back in terms of the Newcastle contingent feeling as if Owen’s departure was a personal betrayal of their trust. Owen would, and perhaps will turn into a hate figure whenever he visited St James Park.

If Owen does leave, where will he go? Being a former Liverpool player it seems unlikely that Manchester United will go for him, so perhaps Liverpool will treat Owen as a prodigal son and welcome him back with open arms. It seems likely to me though, that it will not be a top four club who would take Owen on, because of him being prone to injury, but perhaps a club challenging for a UEFA cup spot, such as Blackburn, or Man City.

There seems to be a good chance of this going either way, but if you pushed me I would say that I think that there is a bigger chance of Owen staying than going, only because I think that Newcastle will buckle to his wage demands as they do not want to lose their prize asset.

8 Responses to Michael Owen To Leave Newcastle On A Free Transfer?

1. lameduck says:

The story is typical of most English Red Top tabloids – there has been no official comment made by either NUFC or Michael Owen so of course they have to speculate in order to create a story. As usual they qualify this by using the time old – a source close to – this source probably being the reporting journalists granny.

In fact if all speculation were outlawed and papers were only allowed to report those stories for which they had hard facts then the sports pages in Englandwould be confined to 3 columns and a couple of pictures.

Shame really beacuse it does try hard to become a self-fulfilling prophecy, and given the nature of sport and money, it quite often does.

2. Bob says:

So what you’re actually saying is that the transfer rules haven’t changed from last year. We all know how it works, if he doesn’t sign he’s free to negotiate away in January. What is news here exactly? Nothing that Newcastle fans didn’t know already.
    Pointless article

3. azza says:

Dominic Mather you just made your job safe for another day ? a SOURCE has told me scumderland want kaka print it tomoro

4. Bob says:

In fact you’re about as believable as your adverts. Good grief what an awful site. I would urge all NUFC fans to avoid this place. They earn rewards based on hits and adverts clicked. One good piece advice I heard is to complain to the advertisers – soon gets them thinking

5. Steve Darlo says:

Complete and utter rubbish poorly reseached and based on hearsay. This so called reporter will working for a red top taboild soon as print rubbish like this. ps Kaka is going to sign for the toon on wednesday for 70m LOL

6. Davies says:

Stories like this are only “sensational” or “exclusive” if you are the first to print them. This is plain old fashioned recycled boring reactionary crap. Well done, have a doughnut.

7. Kevin says:

wow tough crowd in here, regardless this is good news, and good news for Obafemi Martins who wasn’t utilized properly under Big Disappearing Sam last season. With Mark Viduka currently not featuring into the Newcastle offense the spotlight is finally positioned solely upon the Nigerian striker dynamo

8. rob says:

MAKE $50000 IN A MONTH!!! Take 5 minutes to read

Take five minutes to read this and it WILL change your life.

I just read an article in an internet newsgroup describing how to make
    $50,000.00 in only one month from a $5.00 investment.
    Of course I thought this was ridiculous, or some type of pyramid. I
    talked it over with my family, an attorney, and my friends, and they
    all agreed it was some sort of scam. I hate scams because usually
    someone gets burned, and I didn't want it to be me! I blew it off for
    a few weeks then saw another one in a newsgroup I go a lot and
    thought, ” maybe this is legitimate”, besides whats $5.00 , I spend
    more than that in the morning on my way to work on coffee and cigs for
    the day!
    Well, two weeks later, I began receiving money in the mail!, I
    couldn't believe it!
    Not just a little, I mean big bucks!!. At first only a few hundred
    dollars, then a week later a couple of thousand, then BOOM., By the
    end of the fourth week, I had received nearly $47,000.00. It came from
    all over the world. And every bit of it perfectly legal and on the up
    and up. I've been able to pay off all my bills and still had enough
    left over for a nice vacation for me and my family.
    Not only does it work for me, it works for other folks as well. Marcus
    Valppu says he made $57,883 in four weeks, Dave Manning claims he made
    $53,664 in the same amount of time. Dan Shepstone says it was only
    $17,000.00 for him. Do I know these
    Folks?. No, but when I read how they say they did it, it made sense to
    me. Enough sense that I'm taking a similar chance with $5 of my own
    money. Not a big chance, I admit-but one with incredible potential,
    because $5 is all anyone ever invests in this system. Period. That's
    all Markus, Dave or Dan invested, yet their $5 netted them tens of
    thousands of dollars each, in a safe, legal and completely legitimate
    way. Here's how it works in 3 easy steps:

STEP 1.

Invest your $5 by writing your name and address on five separate
    pieces of paper along with the words, ” PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR MAILING
    LIST”.
    (In this way, you're not just sending a dollar to someone; you're
    paying for a legitimate service). Fold a $1 dollar bill, money order,
    or bank note inside each paper, and mail them by standard U.S. Mail to
    the following five addressees:

309 E Rand Rd 302
    Arlington Heights IL 60004

5) Robert del Rosario
    3313 Ashby Field Avenue
    North Las Vegas, Nevada 89031

Step 2.
    Now remove the top name from the list, and move the other names up.
    This way , #5 becomes #4 and so on. Put your name in as the fifth one
    on the list.

Step 3.
    Post the article to at least 200 newsgroups. There are at least 17000
    newsgroups at any given moment in time. Try posting to as many
    newsgroups as you can. Remember the more groups you post to, the more
    people will see your article and send you cash!

Step 4.
    You are now in business for yourself, and should start seeing returns
    within 7 to 14 days!!. Remember, the internet is new and huge!. There
    is no way you can loose.

Now here is how and why this system works:

Out of every block of 200 posts I made, I got back 5 responces.
    Yes, that's right. Only 5. You make $5.00 in cash, not checks or money
    orders, but real cash with your name at #5.
    Each additional person who sent you $1.00 now also makes 200
    additional postings with your name at #4, 1000 postings. On average
    then, 50 people will send you $1.00 with your name at #4, … $50.00 in
    your pocket!!

Now these 50 new people will make 200 postings with your name at #3 or
    10,000 postings. Average return, 500 people = $500., they make 200
    postings with your name at #2 = 100,00 postings = 5000 returns at
    $1.00 each that's
    $5,000.00 in cash!!

Finally, 5,000 people make 200 postings each with your name at #1 and
    you get a return of $50,000 before your name drops off the list. And
    that's only
    If everyone down the line makes only 200 postings each! Your total
    income for this one cycle is $55,000.00

>From time to time when you see your name is no longer on the list, you

take the latest posting you can find and start all over again.

So that's it. Pretty simple sounding stuff, huh? But believe me it
    works!
    There are millions of people surfing the net everyday, all day, all
    over the world. And 100,000 new people get on the net every day. You
    know it, you've seen the stories in the papers. So, my friend, read
    and follow the simple instructions and play fair. That's the key, and
    that's all there is to it.
    Print this out right now so you can refer back to this article easily.
    Try to keep an eye on all the postings you made to make sure everyone
    is playing fairly. You know where your name should be.

Note: Keep in mind that this has been circulating for over a year, so do not be surprised if some of the addresses are outdated…It won’t matter, because you KNOW your address is correct and since you are starting the process again, all the addresses added by the others will be fresh !!

REMEMBER…. HONESTY IS THE BEST POLICY. YOU DON'T NEED TO CHEAT THE BASIC IDEA TO MAKE MONEY!
    GOOD LUCK TO ALL, AND PLEASE PLAY FAIR AND YOU WILL WIN
    AND MAKE SOME REAL INSTANT FREE CASH!!

Remember “What Goes Around, Comes Around”