Spurs Update: Highlights

new spurs kits Spurs Update: Highlights

It was a treat to watch Spurs dismantle Borussia Dortmund in the Feyenoord Jubilee tournament. What was really awesome about the performance was that Juande Ramos seems to have established a balanced squad amidst the frantic ins and outs at White Hart Lane with the onus on attack.

Darren Bent scored again.. He seems to have hit form at just the right time and it would be impossible to not give him a starting spot for the start of the season. Whoever comes in to replace Keane must play second fiddle to him at least for a month into the season. Just watching him and Dos Santos score their goals makes me feel this could be Tottenham’s year. This could be their best chance to break into the top four. Do they need another forward?? that is a matter of perspective.. I think Arshavin would be a good buy if he can alternate on the left flank and forward positions. But I feel it more important to find a quality replacement for the departing Kaboul. I was surprised to not see Tottenham bid for Tal-Ben Haim. Defense has always been their Achilles heel and having just one more fullback in that squad could do wonders for them.

What was remarkable was to see so many new players play together seamlessly with a winning mentality. Aaron Lennon seems to have rediscovered the spark that he used so devastatingly in the past that catapulted him to the heights of a possible starting spot in the English football team. He made a mazzy run through the middle before laying it off for the final goal.

One thing that I did read about in many forums was the worryingly thin and injury prone defense. I agree to a certain extent that long term injuries will definitely rattle the spurs charge, but come on.. anyone who sees the spurs play in their preseason would know that Ramos has a clear emphasis on fitness and that must decrease the numbers in the treatment room. This might be just me, but the indiscipline under Jol was, I believe, one of the main reasons behind the high causality and slow recovery rates at White Hart lane.

The initial look at Spurs and their pre-season performances and the imminent arrival of more world class stars just gives me a glimmer of hope that the big 4 monopoly could be broken this season.. But hey, this is Tottenham we are talking about.. They have flattered to deceive too many times for anyone to consider them to be genuine contenders for anything..

Let us wait and watch what happens this season. I hope they finally add up to the sum of all their parts.. It all looks so promising.. watch this guys, this is how good they are now..

[display_podcast]

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

12 Responses to Spurs Update: Highlights

1. Weston says:

Agreed, they look good and they are giving this american Yiddo a lot of confidence going into the season. Ramos said right when he took the job that he wanted the squad to play with ‘panache,’ and they certainly seem to be playing some sexy football at the moment.

I am more worried about lack of depth at striker, one more capable striker is needed, but I would love to see Tomas Pekhart get some minutes as he looks like the next big thing to come out of our academy.

2. Karthik Balasubramanian says:

Yiddo?? :) anyways.. Bent, Santos, Arshavin?? and from what I ve seen, Berbatov is not moving anywhere yet, though the speculation is rife that he is on the move..

I think they have enough cover over there.. one more defensive signing is what they need.. if and its not a very unlikely if, King and Woodgate are both sidelined.. their defense will stutter like last season.. There is no point in scoring so many goals if u are going to concede the same amount..

3. this blog’s pro spurs and anti arsenal stance is becoming more apparent with every passing day.

4. Karthik Balasubramanian says:

ha ha.. come now my friend.. I saw the Arsenal vs Madrid game too.. one goal from a penalty.. that wilshire kid is showing some serious promise.. looks like u guys dont need walcott after all..

The difference I see between the spurs and the gunners as a neutral here is that the spurs are going through an upheaval.. Arsenal are not.. believe me.. I will be the first person to write about it if Samir Nasri scores a killer goal..

5. Weston says:

Ah, remember Arshavin hasn’t signed yet and it looks less likely as time goes on. Santos does show promise, but thats still only two attacking players (three if Berbatov stays), spurs need guys on the bench to fill in for UEFA cup duty. Last year we had four quality options, this year not so much and I hope that changes quickly.

I see your point about the back line though, Dawson is a capable fill-in, but apparently only when paired with King, and the only other true CB – Gardner, is gone on loan.

6. Karthik Balasubramanian says:

I thought they could have nicked Podolski.. he would have come cheaper.. he is younger and more powerful than Arshavin and Keane. During the Euros he showed that he is versatile by playing out on the left. He is a little unsettled at Bayern..

I have not seen Pekhart play.. but if spurs need to mount a serious challenge on the top 4, they need a superstar, not a burgeoning talent..

The reason I thought Spurs were kinda sufficient in attack now was because spurs have enough midfield options to play a 4-5-1 if its needed.. this is a perfect ploy for away games in the UEFA cup. with Bentley and Lennon playing in advanced positions on both flanks supporting a striker.. let us see if they can sign one or more superstars..

7. cruyff_turn says:

Yeah, Spurs are gonna need to be on the way up after finishing about 37 points behind Arsenal in the league last season, give me frickin’ break. You want to give me some odds on Walcott making the Yids look foolish this season.

8. Weston says:

^No one is arguing except the gooners here…I dont see anything being said about Spurs being better than Arsenal, so I dont know where you guys come in with this stuff…

9. Jimineycricket says:

Surely Taarabt should be given his chance to prove he is a worthy understudy to bent and berbatov at the front? he showed promise in the games he played and with more first team experiance he could develop into a quality player

10. Jimineycricket says:

also if ledley king is fit for next season he is good enough to handle all the defensive positions by himself so we dont need any more defenders in my opinion

11. Weston says:

Karthik, interesting article on soccernet.com today…sounds like the both of us were right.

“Nonetheless, there is a risk of a shortage of personnel in two key positions, in attack – where an injury to Bent would be problematic – and at centre-back, where Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate are prone to lengthy absences. Both departments may have been neglected with the focus on midfield, but it may prove telling that pre-season has featured the versatile pair of Zokora and Huddlestone taking their turns in defence.”

full story http://soccernet.espn.go.com/columns/story?id=559960&sec=england&root=england&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1&cc=5901

12. Karthik Balasubramanian says:

yeah I read that one.. There was also the mention of Chris Gunter coming up the ranks in defence.. I am not sure of Corluka is the answer.. In my opinion, they should go for Coloccini who newcastle are trying to get..