WED, 2:45PM ET
WBA
SAT, 10AM ET
SWA
NEW

Chicago 2-0 Everton: Photos And Match Report

chicago everton friendly Chicago 2 0 Everton: Photos And Match Report

EPL Talk reader EPLNFL was at last night’s friendly between Chicago Fire and Everton at Toyota Park. Here’s his mini-report from the game:

“As a Fire fan I had a great time with a 2-0 Chicago victory. As a EPL fan I was disappointed in Everton and the quality of play. They were extremely cautious with the ball during the first half moving the ball more backwards then forward at times. In the second half, they came out more aggressive and tried to break the ball up the middle — with no results however.

Clearly Everton is training and weary from the US Tour, but the Fire was without Blanco and McBride which leaves them with no offense. David Moyes is a favorite of mine and, of course Tim Howard I follow with great interest, but if Everton keeps up this form it’s the bottom half of the table this season!

There were about 250 people in the American supporters group for Everton and an additional group of English fans on the US tour. The American supporters seemed to be a very good group and no trouble was seen by me. The tour group seemed to be on the verge of a beer too many but gave no trouble.”

To view more photographs from the game, visit the EPL Talk photos section.

Thanks to EPLNFL (aka Lou Bruno) for providing the photos and mini-match report. A more detailed match report will be published tomorrow.

Editor’s note: To be fair, this was not Everton’s first team squad. Several players got a run-out for the Toffees including new faces Jose Baxter, Dan Gosling and Jack Rodwell.

14 Responses to Chicago 2-0 Everton: Photos And Match Report

1. Mike says:

I was at this game aswell and I thought it was alright overall but lacked in several areas. Cahill and some other Everton players were sorely missed as they didnt have much going forward. Yakubu didn’t do much and Vaughn came on way to late (and ended up getting sent off). I thought the Fire were much better in the first half, but there were a few stand outs in the second half including Banner.

The best part of the game though which got people out of their seats was when a couple of Everton fans ran out on the pitch from the Everton section and ran right through the play. They ended up going a whole lap around the field until they were eventually hauled off by security. I got a few pictures but the quality isn’t that great considering the camera couldn’t zoom in very far.

I didn’t expect much going into the game, but I was somewhat dissappointed at the way that both teams approached the game. Everton didn’t seem to care too much and some players seemed disinterested at times, and the Fire players didn’t get enough time (two different teams in each half) to really make an impression.

2. Gaz says:

Pre-season is about fitness. Pre-season results are not and never have been indicative of the following season’s performance.

3. wp says:

I agree gaz.the fact we had a few teenagers in the starting line up,blending them in for how the 1st team prepare etc is way more important than the result.Once our fitness improves by another 20%,and a few more players return,ie cahill etc we will be a force again this season.Fire are already underway in their season,and they were dissappointing considering their fitness levels,and against a very young reserve team.We all know,a fully fit,best starting 11 for everton would challenge anyone in the premiership,and on our day we can beat anyone.It would be interesting to find out how much the mls fans actually know about efc,and how good we actually are and how much the medias big 4 find us a threat.
    I also watched the mls 11 and whufc game and was very,very impressed with the quality,but again west hams fitness levels were very obvious.

4. wp says:

One of the problems that American fans have is that we have a chance to watch in person the EPL teams we watch every weekend come August to May and expect more from their American pre-season appearance then we should rightfully expect. The MLS/Fire actually raises ticket prices for these games and so the fans expect more. This is a problem for MLS not the EPL team, which is clearly training.

Good comments by Mike. As I said certain Everton fans were on the verge of one too many beers! WP, I follow Everton more than other EPL teams since they have Tim Howard and as I said I think highly of David Moyes and hope they can crack the Big 4, after last night, I have a big doubt in my mind, but know they will show better come August 16.

5. eplnfl says:

That last comment was mine. EPLNFL.

6. Kartik says:

Blanco did not play, and the pole with no goals scored. Nice win for the Fire but pinch me if I don’t believe in them until they score two goals in a game that counts against a team not in town to take in the sights. Right now the Fire is going nowhere real fast. Maybe this game will jump start them but we won’t know until their trip to LA this weekend.

On another note, I am not amused that this match was played the same night as the Superliga semifinals. Obviously much of Chicagoland felt like me since the attendance was the lowest for a Fire home match at Toyota Park this year. Besides Everton isn’t exactly a draw in the states. Now West Ham, for whatever earthly reason that is a different matter.

7. Sunny says:

I used to respect Kartik’s point of view but the above post illustrates what has become a problem with him. He’s simply a windup. When MLS teams lose to Mexican teams if you read MLS Talk it is because of the “superiority” of Mexican Football. When MLS sides win it’s because of the refs. When English sides beat MLS sides in friendlies it’s because MLS has no quality and the game was an important symbol of MLS’ ineptitude. When they win like this game, the game means nothing. Then he whines that MLS is getting enough respect in England and in Mexico when he’s the one helping to trash the league here.

How many Mexican sides left in Superliga, Kartik? None, yet your posts all blame the officials saying the calls have been one sided even though the refs assigned were scored the top ones by CONCACAF. So in other words you don’t support MLS. You are just a windup. You like Mexican Football and English Football better than your own football. I don’t care if you’d lose an organ for the national team because in this day and age the club game is what matters. Do you think anyone outside of soccer die hards actually cases about the Olympics or even the World Cup now? The club game and the Champions League is where it is at.
    You may protest otherwise but your posts demonstrate a lack of consideration for MLS when it comes down to it. Who cares if they aren’t developing American national team players at the rate you’d like? Somehow nothing is ever the USSF’s fault either with you. The USSF and US Soccer are perfect. Are you on their payroll?

8. Jack the Ripper says:

Yanks knowing nothing about football is proven if it is true that West Ham draws more than Everton in the states. You Yanks are having a laugh! West Ham! A glorified championship club, ha ha ha.

9. Kartik says:

Sunny,

My record of advocating a US point of view speaks for itself. Simply because I am critical at times and am not drinking the MLS/SUM kool aid doesn’t make me a Mexi-phile or Anglo-phile as you seem to claim.

Oh and the Champions League IS NOT NOW AND NEVER WILL BE bigger than the World Cup. Obviously you are the one with the Euro snobbery problem, not me because in the saying something of the sort would have you laughed out of a room.

As I said good for the Fire. I’m happy for them and the league. I never said West Ham’s victory over Columbus proved a darn things by the way. You are quoting someone else and mixing it up with me. I tend to ignore these matches. The only one I paid close attention to was when DC United beat Spurs at White Hart Lane in our preseason years ago. That was more meaningful. Oh and the Rapids beating the snot out of Norwich last year in Norwich in the MLS preseason.

10. Kartik says:

Moyes is a stand up guy unlike a lot of Prem managers. He’s blaming his team for a poor effort , and for some unsporting play as well. He’s also credited the Fire as being a very good side. The players and coaches from the FMF can learn a thing or two from Moyes about class and humility.

An all MLS Superliga final. Contrary to what some posters on here say about me, I am proud that we are seeing this, although the MLS is becoming more like the Prem everyday with the same two teams always competing for honors.

11. eplnfl says:

The lack of attendance last night had much to do with bad timing by the MLS and The Fire. Not only was Superliga on TV but Barcelona is playing in Chicago over the weekend as well as the Fire with a league game. Very noticeable last night was the lack of many of The Fire’s great Mexican-American supporters at the game. Also, the ticket prices for the game were raised! Stupid beyond belief!

Yes, Everton lack some players but the Fire lacked Blanco and McBride and made a wholesale substitution at the start of the 2nd half. The deliberate style of play so frequently seen in the EPL was ineffective in the first half.
    Moyes to his credit switched to a more open attack in the 2nd half. A friendly it was but Everton could not be happy with the effort in Chicago.

12. How did Banner look for the Fire? Did Nyarko play?

13. Mike says:

Banner looked pretty decent for the Fire; he only featured in the second half but he did well to get up the left flank and get some crosses in.

Nyarko played the first half. He did alright, holding up the ball and distributing it well but he never really got a good shot off.