MON, 3PM ET
BAR
AJA
TUES, 2:45PM ET
SCH
SPC

Happy 4th of July To EPL Talk Readers

happy fourth of july Happy 4th of July To EPL Talk ReadersOn behalf of EPL Talk, I’d like to wish our readers in America a happy independence day on this fourth of July. I hope you and your family have a safe and wonderful holiday.It’s ironic when you think about it because sometimes we forget that when the United States celebrates its independence, it’s celebrating its independence from Britain. Nowadays American culture is such a part of UK life while British sport and music are such a part of America. EPL Talk is a perfect example of this.Here’s a true story. When I moved from Wales to the U.S. in 1984, my schoolmates in high school would run up to me and playfully proclaim “Ha ha, we beat you in the war” as well as “We beat you at the tea party!”Honestly, I had no idea what they were talking about.Growing up in the UK and going to school there until the age of 14, the subject of the American war of independence was never mentioned. It wasn’t in the history books. It wasn’t mentioned in school or in typical conversations. In fact, I ended up emigrating for the States one year before my last year in secondary school but I did study for my O level in World History one year before leaving and passed with flying colors. Even in a very comprehensive and grueling exam such as World History, the subject of the American independence from Great Britain was never mentioned. So much of the curriculum was on World War I and II and the Battle Of Hastings.Presumably most Americans learn about the history and stories of the war for independence during elementary school or middle school. So by the time I emigrated to the States and immediately entered school in ninth grade, the topic of America’s Declaration of Independence was already common knowledge for American kids. I, on the other hand, was clueless and was trying to figure out why the American kids kept on talking about tea parties and how “we beat you, ha ha.” My fellow classmates must have wondered why I looked bewildered when they tried to provoke a reaction out of me.It wasn’t until many years later that I finally learned about the Boston Tea Party and the independence from the British thanks to the helpful book, Don’t Know Much About History by Kenneth C. Davis.As is traditional, I’ll be spending the afternoon celebrating the 4th of July with my extended family at a barbecue while watching the local fireworks display. Thanks for your loyalty and have a wonderful day.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Happy 4th of July To EPL Talk Readers

1. Chad says:

Good story…haha we beat you at the tea party.

jk jk

2. Kartik says:

The American Revolution wasn’t mentioned in history books because the victors write history and for years until war of 1812 truly liberated us, Independence was political not commercial with the Brits seizing our ships, maintaining forts on our land and continuing a treacherous alliance with the native peoples (indians) to harass. Alexander Hamilton for all his greatness saw to it that the new US remained partially under the thumb of the “mother country.” Thomas Jefferson one of the greatest thinkers ever saw it differently and was close to the French government and the French people. Americans were divided about equally between franco-philes and anglo-philes and only after the War of 1812 did we find our own voice and identity.

I’ve always found how the French Revolution and Napoleon are characterized in British written books to be dishonest and worrying. The French Revolution was probably to this point in time the most important event in human history. Feudalism died with it and Absolute Monarchies in the West were put on notice they would not last for ever. Yet British textbooks focus almost exclusively on the violence of the movement and the flaws of Napoleon. Focus is lost on the rights of man being promoted, a new fairer legal code, the end of much family based promotions within the civil service and the training of talented administrators from the middle and lower classes something that had never been tolerated in the west before.

Good piece. It’s great to celebrate this day and our nation but recall that our real independence came when Andy Jackson defeated the British in New Orleans with a rag tag group of locals, runaway slaves, pirates and poorly trained soldiers. The American way and the feeling we could accomplish anything began that day in January 1815.

3. Kartik says:

I wouldn’t be doing my (volunteer) job if I didn’t mention Miami FC will be on FSC tonight at 8 pm ET hosting the Islanders.

MLS on HDNet at the same time: KC v FCD

4. Iced T says:

now that the owner of this site has been revealed to be an American, can i ask why we don’t have more american content?

why no superliga or copa libertadoras coverage?

why no mls or la liga or serie a coverage.

most american soccer fans do not watch the premier league. some advice. you can increase you scope in america by covering more.

5. eplnfl says:

Thanks for the piece Chris, and thanks for helping make America. American’s now a days forget how this country was made by people who took the chance on America and left things behind to come here and build something better. I do not forget that my entire family left the old world and came to the new world for something better. It is those people who left things behind for the promise that America held, that helped make America great.

While we have fun on this site with the fans from the UK and elsewhere, the ties that bind all of us, ie: freedom loving and respect for positive ideas, make this world a better place. This site in it’s own way is bringing people together much more than people may think and that is greatly appreciated.

So I hope you had a great 4th of July, I did for sure. I hope everyone else here enjoys the holiday weekend, and I will hope every gets to see the Fire v. Crew game on FSC tonight and the Fire win one!

6. The Gaffer says:

Iced T,

It’s EPL Talk (i.e. English Premier League Talk). If you’re looking for MLS or Superliga or Copa Libertadoras, you’ve come to the wrong place.

MLS and Superliga coverage can be found on the other site on my network, http://www.majorleaguesoccertalk.com

7. Kartik says:

Yeah Iced T. Please check out MLS Talk. We’re doing alot of Superliga coverage and would love your contributions if you are so inclined.

8. Johnny says:

MLS Talk very rarely if ever features news. It features commentary. Is their a place where I can get regularly updated MLS news?

For a league whose quality is so high it is vastly under covered in the American press.

9. Kartik says:

Johnny,

MLS Talk is largely commentary based site. That’s what it is. I suggest for daily MLS news you visit one of a few different sites: (google all of these to get the URL)

The Orlando Sentinel Other Football, which I contribute to a few times a week with news updates.

Soccer by Ives

Steve Goff’s Soccer Insider

Yahoo! Sports World Soccer
    my mate Martin Rogers is a superb writer and covers MLS and PL like no one else around.

or listen to my show at csrnusa.com,

The American Soccer Show (you can get the link from clicking on my name). We go through all the news in American Soccer, be it MLS, USL, NCAA, Americans abroad or the National Teams twice a week.

10. Gaffer – You’re recollections are amazingly similar to mine!

I came over here at 22 years old and an O-Level History under my belt. A small mitigation is that the O-Level course was geared toward 20th century history, but presumably before that I was exposed to a more general curriculum.

I must say I don’t remember much from History apart from the world wars, which we seemed to cover in miniscule detail. I can tell you all about the Schladming Plan and Operation Market Garden and the Dardenelles, but I don’t recall much of anything else.

So I was also ribbed by my new collegues in the US about the War of Independence – I even ended up buying that exact same book you mention!

It wasn’t until too late that I figured out that US think the WW2 started in ’41! I see this as an American trend – after all, a baseball stadium doesn’t start filling up until the 3rd inning.

But I definitely get the sense that “we don’t like to mention that” when it comes to Britain and the War of Independence.