Powered by
bra0
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Benitez Burns His Bridges

rafa benitez Benitez Burns His BridgesLiverpool seem to have decided on a new transfer policy this summer which makes the same impact as Real Madrid’s lovelorn chase for Ronaldo. Liverpool seem to be using their local paper, The Echo, to release transfer target information into the public domain to unsettle players at other clubs. Gareth Barry became the first and now it seems that Liverpool are targeting Tottenham’s Robbie Keane in the same way. Whilst I know this kind of thing has gone on for years, Manchester United have been accused 19 times in the last 10 years of tapping up players, Liverpool seem determined to lose any face they have in British football by simply announcing which players they covet and seek to recruit them in this way.

What makes this situation worse is that Liverpool seem to be a little hard up and this new policy seems designed to get their targets to request to leave rather than match clubs valuations of players they desire. Stories began to be circulated yesterday that Keane had requested a transfer, which Tottenham and the players agent quickly denied.

Gareth20Barry20villa20and Benitez Burns His BridgesGareth Barry meanwhile has been fined and told to stay away from Villa Park  after criticising Martin O’Neill and Aston Villa in an unauthorised interview.Barry is desperate to join Liverpool but I’d understood it more two years ago, Villa are in the best shape they’ve been for ages. If anything, Villa have more chance of winning the Premiership than Liverpool do at this current time, financially they’re far more robust and have a chairman that cannot put a foot wrong for me coupled with an exciting squad that has bags of potential.

The Barry saga hasn’t done the player’s reputation any favours though and I think it’s a shame that a lad who has spent his entire career at a club and rose to club captain at an early age should treat the fans who adore him like this. I think it’s a real shame, Villa have certainly made him feel special and given him everything he wanted but it’s still not enough.

Barry was quoted as saying“There’s no going back, it’s time for me to move on, I’m desperate to play Champions League football and that’s why I have to leave Villa. Villa kept saying they wanted me to stay but I have not heard from the manager for weeks. It’s seven weeks now since the season finished but while the gaffer’s found time to be a pundit at Euro 2008, he hasn’t found the time to speak to me. Have Villa offered me anything to try to persuade me my future is at Villa Park, not Anfield? Not a thing.”

Do we believe that? Can you see Randy Lerner and Martin O’Neill being like that and ignoring this stituation. No-one believes that at all. Why can’t Barry be honest with the Villa fans who used to idolise him? Why not simply say “I want to play with my best mate Stevie G, earn more money and go out with a clothes horse”? because everyone knows Gerrard will have played a major role in negotiations to get Barry to jump ship, it’s a fact that they are best mates and have been for nearly 10 years. Honestly, do we think they’ve not talked about it at all? O’ Neill, to his credit, has said Barry can leave as long as Liverpool pay the price tage they’ve set and not a penny more.

Good luck to Villa though, I hope they hold out for every last penny of the £18 million they’ve set as his price, Liverpool need to realise it’s not 1988, they’re not the best club in England and haven’t been for 18 seasons, teams can’t be bullied by them anymore and it bothers me far more than the Madrid/Ronaldo/United love triangle that they seem determined to destroy any good will opposing fans have for them. As for Keane, I’ll take Torres or £25 million, other than Rafa, you’re wasting your breath.

152 Responses to Benitez Burns His Bridges

1. Matt says:

Congratulations on writing an incorrect article — it was proved earlier that the initial bid was actually leaked to the Midlands newspaper, not the Echo. If you bothered to find the facts you’d know that and wouldn’t have wasted your time on this pathetic article which is purely aimed at having a dig at Liverpool.

Furthermore, why not criticise Villa for their ridiculously high valuation of Barry, or for their behaviour in the saga (O’Neill happy to spout his shit live on BBC). Even the player hasn’t been impressed by the club he has played and captained for years.

Villa are basing their 18m on Mascherano – who is 4 years younger than Barry. Clever shits.

This is what you get why you buy English — you can’t blame managers for looking abroad.

2. Anonymous says:

Hey won’t don’t you just say it you hate Liverpool. Every team does it but hey pick on Liverpool

3. Sean says:

Villa have a better chance of winning the Prem than Liverpool. All credibility you had has now gone. Have utd stated many times they want Berbatov? Chelsea similar with Gerrard and Torres? And Matt is right re the Midlands paper leaking the story. Do you feel a little stupid ?

4. Gomez says:

There is only one team conducting this transfer in the media, and that is Aston Villa. I see they’ve made another official announcement via there website today.

If Martin O’Neill hadn’t have gone public with this in the first, then it all would have died down like the thousands of other rumoured transfers reported in the press.

5. Mark says:

Well that was three minutes of my life I won’t get back.

The Liverpool Echo only reported about Barry’s proposed transfer to Liverpool when the Reds made their first bid.

The Echo has yet to print a word about Robbie Keane.

I should know, I work there.

6. bob says:

Laursen on Crouch:

“This is a club who are going places. We have a lot of good young players here, so an England striker like Peter Crouch should be interested in coming to Aston Villa.”

Young on Crouch:

“I’d love to see him here because he’s such a clever player,” Young, who is the record signing for Villa, said in the Mirror.

“He’s gangly and awkward-looking but he’s got incredible feet and he knows where the goal is.

“It seems to be only talk but if he came here in the January transfer window it would be great because you can never have too many good strikers.

“We’ve got quick players like Gabriel Agbonlahor and Luke Moore but Crouchy is something different again.”

The last time I looked Crouch is a Liverpool player. Pot calling the kettle black perhaps?

7. Jack says:

Villa have a better chance of winning the Prem than Liverpool?

Lets see, we have Torres, you have Marlon Harewood

We have Steven Gerrard, you have Stilian Petrov.

I think perhaps ‘Sean’ should be the one worried about feeling stupid

8. Anonymous says:

I hope Liverpool walk away from a deal. Let Villa deal with an unhappy player that will struggle to be motivated for Villa and especially MON. Liverpool are right not to go anywhere near Villa’s ridiculous evaluation.

9. Anonymous says:

I think Jack should read comments properly……

10. tony smith says:

your are a knob, villa better chance than liverpool to win the premiership !!!!!

nough said!!!!

11. KSC says:

“Villa have more of chance of winning the premiership” be real! I know it hurts when your best players want to leave for greener pastures but come on. You must be a Spurs fan and this Keane to Liverpool affair must be grinding you inside. Liverpool didn’t “leak” the Barry story, it was announced by Villa that they’d rejected a bid and didn’t want to sell.. Torres or 25million for Keane! We’ll see about that, you mark my words

12. Xib says:

Poor arguments in my opinion.

“If anything, Villa have more chance of winning the Premiership than Liverpool do at this current time”— I think that the league table speaks for itself, the head to head record as well and the quality of the players when compared head to head in their respective position, Liverpool players are generally much better.

“Villa have certainly made him feel special and given him everything he wanted but it’s still not enough.”— Of course it isn’t enough, not even a taste of champions league football which is the main reason he wants to leave. He said it himself.

And about hoping Aston Villa get the full 18ml because that was how much Mascherano costed us… He is 4 years younger and is internationally capped much more than Barry which automatically makes the price higher.

You stated only half the truth in this article, please state it all. :)

13. reikirebel says:

I believe these so called writers are no more then a group of drunk teenagers smoking pot in there dads shed, writing make-believe stories … and just in case you didn’t get the message from the other educated readers, fact we can debate, ficton is for sad individuals with no life or at least not a real one …. Its clear these stories are NOT unbiased and are no better then verbal Hooliganism and helps NO_ONE!!!

I do agree, this whole thing is a sorry mess and the transfer process should be tightened for ALL teams …

great season ahead guys

reikirebel :-)
    (LFC)

14. Jack Malone says:

In a world full of gossip this simply cannot be 100% true. Liverpool Echo does NOT represent Rafael Benitez and Liverpool Football Club. They are an independent newspaper who are just like any other story-seeking newspaper trying to sell their paper with any means necessary. It is NOT Liverpool FC´s fault if some newspapers unsettle players in the manner they have and it is NOT the player´s fault to have an ambition to go higher in the football ladder. I really am gobsmacked of all the poppyc*ck in the modern world in general and find it HIGHLY ludicrous to write such garbage as you have just written, Mr. Bestall. It is NOT LFC´s fault if players want to play for them. It is about DAMN time Gareth Barry changed into the Liverpool colours…and while we are at it let´s add Robbie Keane to the equation too.

15. Sean says:

Jack read my comments properly….I apologise for a missed question mark…..but seems you are the only one who has missed the point

16. YNWA says:

Villa have more chance of winning the Premiership than Liverpool do at this current time???….which planet have you been kicked from?……cause SILLY aliens who know NOTHING about football !!!! should stay on there own little planet!!…….Happy landing!

17. Dave says:

Paul Bestall, what can I say, you clearly should stick to what your good at, Scratching your brown eye as you haven’t the first iota what you are taking about.

If I remember clearly and which I do didn’t a brummie paper leak this?????

Now let me see again how you made a cock out of yourself….

The Echo, which I am actually reading now and have been for longer than I care to remember have not printed one word about Keane coming to Liverpool.

I hope you realise what a cock you have made of yourself.

Villa better chance than Liverpool to win the league, tell you what son, even with Barry we will still be miles ahead of them, fancy a grand on it because i’m game if you are knobhead.

18. Carlo says:

HA HA HA HA HA HA

What a load of tosh!!!

Did your fevered brain take long to come up with that fantasy that you put forward as “journalism”???

You totally lost me when you got your facts all screwed up and then – spouted your delusions about AV.

Mate, if you had any cojones put a bet on that Villa will finish above Liverpool in the next decade or so… you’ll get great odds!!!

and you can go to bed dreaming of what you’ll do with your winnings HA HA HA HA HA

In the meantime don’t waste our time with your poorly written drivel.

19. RafaTheRed says:

What a terrible article!!!! Agree with Mark! ‘that was three minutes of my life I won’t get back.’

Garath Barry has given Villa 11 years service and this is the way you treat him? Martin O’Neil and Randy Learner have been at the club for only 18 months and hold sway with the Villa fans?

No wonder he wants to leave!

Villa are now a top 10 Premier League side and next season it will be harder to finish 6th! Remember you need to replace a few of your main starters with the same quality before you can even get a little bit better! Stop looking at the top 4 and concentrate on finishing above Everton, Man City, Blackburn, Newcastle, Portsmouth and Spurs.

20. reikirebel says:

And just so we are clear … all teams have a right to offer to buy a player … its the waste of time sites with negative words that make the whole process nasty …. well done, you are the one dissing LFC and there fans, you are the one with no respect or understanding and you have the cheek to suggest its us with a problem …. I will not be reading comments on this site for some-time as verbal bullying is NOT acceptable behavour!

Reikirebel :-)

21. Brenton says:

Get your facts straight before you write such nonsense.
    Everyone now knows that the leak about Barry came from Villa sources not Liverpool.
    O’Neill can whinge all he wants about Rafa – Villa have handled the situation poorly and will suffer accordingly.

22. dantata says:

===

This has to be the worst article ever :) If Aston Villa ever finish above Liverpool I would be surprised. :)

23. toyeflo says:

you talking absolute bollocks,arrant shit………..get with it.he is leaving.end of story!

24. cj says:

However wrote this article is an idiot, the current saga involving Robbie Keane was begun by the national media, and by the sounds of it although Keane has not requested a transfer he does want to join his boyhood club, the Barry saga was begun by the midlands papers and by the way the worst offender of this kind is a certain Harry Redknapp. He preaches to his local paper “Oh Crouch is too expensive (at only £9 million) I fancy buying Benayoun instead, oh no changed me mind! I want Nicky Shorey instead, he’s the sort of player this club needs”

25. Brian says:

I must agree with previous comments. Liverpool have the right people in the right places to win, they just haven’t done it yet. Check out this article, it highlights Liverpool’s main problem: http://www.premiershiptalk.com/2008/07/why-liverpool-wont-win-premier-league.html

26. Hank says:

I think this post should be retitled “Paul Bestall has a moan about liverpool”

27. Tom says:

As sure as this person on this article is a pratt, barry at the reds, next year nailed on.

28. magnumopus says:

What a piss poor article with false information.

29. Dave says:

Hank I couldn’t agree with you more mate

30. Jack says:

Oh. Oops. Sorry Sean.

I’d like to find anyone willing to put some money on Villa finishing above Liverpool – I could do with some easy money!

31. Tes says:

So Paul Bestall, you’ve managed to miss the numerous occasions Harry Redknapp has been telling any media outlet who will listen about his transfer targets, yet you’ve managed to trump up false claims about Benitez. Like you say, if clubs want players they meet the selling club’s valuation, not continue to unsettle them via the media or do your standards only apply to certain clubs? Harry Redknapp knows the price Liverpool want so either stump up or shut up. As for you Paul Bestall, stick to writing in the local Church parish freebie mag.

32. Paul Bestall says:

Well, if I supported Villa I’d be offended but I don’t and If I hated Liverpool, i’d be offended too.

33. Mark D says:

Have to agree, Liverpool are well out of order.

34. MancRed says:

About time someone told the truth about Liverpool. One lucky champions league in 4 seasons and they think there the best in the world. It’s a long time since 1990! Probably finish 10th next season

MUFC!!!!

35. FergieisGod says:

Where do all these scousers live? Dreamland. Benitez to be sacked by Xmas and more crying scousers blocking up the internet.

36. onbeyondzebra says:

sour grapes

37. kay says:

I like Barry and I am glad he wants to join the best in Britain. Of course I mean Liverpool, but with his inflated price tag I would suggest we go for David Silva and pay for £22 million. He would give other options in midfield and in attack

38. redmasch says:

Oh dear me a pretend jurno with no real talent spouting press crap, hey we all read the papers it’s just that some of us choose not to believe 3/4 of the shite thats printed but you , seem to have taken all the shite and bent,twisted and manipulated it all into some almost cockney anti Liverpool shit!!! As for MON…….ha ha hahahaha should stick to shit punditry, he plainly is a shit man manager, I hope Liverpool pull the plug and leave him up shit creek with no paddle and a boat filling up with shit….All the best arsehole……

39. seedyjim says:

Why can’t I rate this as a 5? Liverpool are a joke club, with joke fans.

40. redmasch says:

Is that right seedytwat, I see you don’t mention which club you support you fuckin glory hunter, get a life and fuck off!!!!

41. Andy says:

Xib, you hit it spot on, Barry isn’t half the player Mascherano is. I’m only “ok” with this deal because I think Barry is a better premiership performer than Alonso. If Barry was being signed to replace Mascherano i’d be protesting outside Rafa’s house!

If Mascherano is worth £18m (you could make the arguement is any player..) then Barry is worth £14m AT THE MOST. He’s a squad player for England and Mascherano will probably be the next argentina captain – and hopefully Liverpool’s.

42. farz says:

i think the guy who wrote this article is mad!!!

43. Chris Walker says:

Lets face it, Liverpool at this current time will not win the title because 1) The manager drops Torres. Torres and Gerrad CARRY Liverpool quite frankly. 2) The problems at board level leave every level below unsettled. 3) Financially they just arent in the same league as other clubs though they did splash the cash on Torres but with a new stadium to be built and the owners at loggerheads and reportedly trying to shift the club on to dubai capial dont expect heavy investment in the playing side. 4) Rafa under fire, surely this is just a matter of time before he goes whether he leaves or is sacked for being too far off the pace we will wait and see.

Villa on the other hand have a solid base of players, great manager in o’neill, fantastic chairman who will invest. granted the squad is a way off liverpools as they dont have 2 world class players but if the reason they want to keep hold of barry is to build a great side. Fair play to villa

44. Redmasch says:

Barry aint even half the player Mascherano is 18 mill my arse Rafa had it right at 10 tops mind you if fookin idiots will pay 16 mill for Darren Bent etc etc well is it any surprise these prices get inflated!

45. Redmasch says:

When was the last time Randy bastard invested 50 mill for new players fuck off you tool! When you compete in Europe on a regular basis come back and talk dick head….

46. Chris Walker says:

As for where do the scousers live, dreamland? No its spelled IRELAND (or most places outside merseyside) man u have a lot of glory supporters but i think liverpool easily rival it in the UK. Barry is hardly a squad player for england now is he?!?

Come liverpool ‘fans’ face facts you fluked the champions league though you deserved to win the year that milan beat you 2-1. But you are miles off the pace every year in the premier league. Maybe 2 world classs players are not enough to win the prem league. Dont think youve will sign anyone on the level of gerrard/torres this summer either. Only a matter of time before ‘fernando’ gets bored of living in a dirty city with a team that cant win the title. He’ll be off to sunny spain…. in the next year or two. Everybody sing….were off to snnny Spain…VIVA ESPANA!!!

47. Anonymous says:

You Manc Supporter…..We haven’t won the league in 18 years but we are still the most successful club in ENGLAND…..certainly Villa aren’t and never will

48. rotter82 says:

Redmasch-thanks for being you. Without your incisive thoughtful input and diplomatic comment Villa fans would almost feel vindicated in their disappointment at the actions of liverpool, Barry and his agent. You should be a sun journalist, truly.

49. Redmasch says:

Fluked the champs league what sort of inbred ill informed twat are you….Thats three times in four years idiot Villa aint been in the top six three times in four you sad prick fuck off and get a life arsehole!!!

50. Chris Walker says:

look where that 40 million got you, 4th place, and out of the FA cup at anfield courtesy of championship relegation battlers barnsley. hahaha. Still, its funy watching you get wound up and resort to name calling.

51. Redmasch says:

Wot a fackin rotter…………

52. Chris Walker says:

because you DID FLUKE IT YOU BERK. and lerner hasnt been there 4 years has he you tool! Only a biased fool like yourself could honestly think you deserve the champions leage the year you won. Even in the final you were hammered off the park for all but 15 mins out of 120.

53. Redmasch says:

Is that chris wanker…….calling me names oh do fuck off you thick brummie twat

54. Cark says:

Villa with a better chance of winning the premiership. this is absolutely hilarious.. can i know what this tube is having

55. Chris Walker says:

still though, enjoy your liverpool DVD’s because i have a sneaky feeling that shiny disc is probably the closest you even get to anfield

56. Pingback: Garry Barry - Page 59 - The Liverpool Way

57. Chris Walker says:

WHERE DID YOU GET BRUMMIE FROM YOU FOOL? WRONG COUNTY FOR A START!

58. redmasch says:

He’s probably avin Chris Wanker right now…….

59. Chris Walker says:

im totally neutral to liverpool and villa and i also think the thing that vuilla have a better chance of winning the league this year a tad overkill but the sentiment of the article is spot on for me.

60. rotter82 says:

Mods- for deleting comments that remotely carry any unacceptable language from Villa fans while still letting Redmasch carry on as he is i would just like to say FUK OFF you dirty evil scouse bastards. Have a nice evening…

61. redmasch says:

Very sorry Chris Wanker wrong county was it oh well heres a regional news flash FUCK OFF PRICK

62. Chris Walker says:

how old are you mate 12? and why do you type in a cockney accent?

63. Chris Walker says:

hahahhahahahahahahahahahahahaha. you really are total imbasill redmasch.

64. Chris Walker says:

and imbasill is in the dictionary if you need a defintion, in fact put it in google.

65. Squirrel says:

Some do it out loud, others do it hush hush, like Real are doing to your club with Ronaldo!

Why does your best player want to leave?

Why does your best player cheat on his team mate (Rooney) when Portugal play England?

Why do all players that leave your club have a bad word to say about Fergie? Nistelroy, Heinz, Becham…..

66. GodVilla says:

Villa don’t need to sell Barry and Barry hasn’t made a transfer request.

Everyone has a price so Villa say pay the going rate and Liverpool offer cast-offs and can’t meet the valuation because they’re strapped for cash.

They and their supporters and now Barry himself act as if we somehow owe it to them to let him go for less. Why would we want to do that?

Barry goes to the News of the World, slags off his manager and tells the world he is desperate to leave. If he wanted to go that badly perhaps he could put in a formal transfer request and lose his ‘loyalty’ bonus and perhaps Liverpool could afford him. But I don’t suppose he’s that desperate.

You’re quite right, we won’t win the league but neither will Liverpool. And if anyone of the money 4 is wobbling it’s Liverpool, a manager who doesn’t understand English football, owners who don’t understand football, no money, deeply in debt, committed to a new stadium you can’t afford. You’re one bad season from a Leeds. The one difference you even more full of your own bullshit.

67. Joshua Koroskoski says:

Get your facts right before you want to shit and have a dig at liverpool..all we need to buy are the two fullbacks Degen and Dossena which we have, Two Wingers, Forget about Barry because Xabi Alonso is miles better, and Robbie Keane would be great cause he has heart and is a goalscorer..get rid of Vorinin, Benayoun,Crouch, Fabio Aurelio and Arbeloa.

68. redmasch says:

TUT TUT sticks and stones, hey if this bollocksed article had some fact then this would not have got to all this playground tacktics, bullying and tom foolery shinanigans I can only apoligise for my fookin touretes and tell you it is a medical twating condition brought on by badly wrote articles and idiots too one sided to be objective. All the best boys….

69. Chris Walker says:

you need a lote more than 2 wingers! What about a centre half and a strike parnter for torres? You need another 2 top class players to win the league fella. Then therees the issue of strength in depth something you simply dont have and what Man U/Chelsea have in abundance (particularly chelsea). I think barry is wanted to play on the left as well btw. Nothing wrong with mascherano and gerrard

70. Chris Walker says:

i also thin 2 wingers and 2 full backs = 4 players. and if thats what you feel you need that means the side is evidently weak on the flanks which is normally a major problem. Ive said ofr ages bentley has to be worth a punt on the right side

71. GodVilla says:

I seem to detect a growing sense of a lack of confidence and RedScouse comments. Come on lads you’ll finish 4th again this year I’m sure.

72. Chris Walker says:

nah its gotta be villa for 4th. lol

73. Simon says:

Shocking article. The press are consistently linking Liverpool with every player under the sun.
    Besides, most Liverpool fans don’t want Barry. We’d rather keep Xabi.
    Chris Walker, your knowledge of Liverpool’s team is poor. We have a partner for Torres. His name is Gerrard. We have bought two attacking full-backs. We now need two quality wingers. We have the best youngsters in the country on the fringes. Check out the reserve teams stats. 5 or 6 players in there who are fantastic. Only age and experience is stopping them but one or two possibly more will see first team action this season. Wait for Nemeth, Plessis, Spearning and Darby to become household names.

74. Chris Walker says:

gerrard is an attacking midfield not a striker, you can still have 2 up front with gerrard behind in a diamond midield you silly boy. that should also suit mascherano playing the deeper role. As for the best youngsters the kids in the youthteam are at the point where they could be worldbeaters or egg beaters. Sheffield United had goran slavkovski from inter milan whom roberto mancini claimed was the next big thing. He didnt get one game in the first team. Fair play to you if the kids are looking special at the moment but dont hold your breath. You signed 2 of Frances best youth players in le tallec and pongolle and it didnt exactly work out.

75. Chris Walker says:

anway will love you and leave you all. Liverpool and arsenal to fight over 3rd 4th again next year.

76. UnitedtilIdie says:

hahaha, look at all the Liverpool fans having a paddy. I didn’t realise the school holidays had begun already.
    Liverpool are 9 months from going bust. A bad season, or early exit from the Champions League and you’ll tumble down the league after Leeds United and won’t that be a shame.
    What you gonna do when we equal your league title haul next season? Blame global warming. LOL!
    If Barry had any ambition, he’d want come to Old Trafford.

77. UnitedtilIdie says:

Ah, they’ve all gone to beddie byes. See you for the 6 points next season!

78. MightyReds says:

Liverpool have struggled this last season with quality cover at the back when Agger was injured and it was compounded with Xabi out in Midfield. Mascherano has been like a rock this year and every club must be gutted they never jumped at the chance to buy him at 18m, in todays market for what he provides that is a bargain.
    With Skirtel slotting in at the back we have not missed Agger this side of the season, now with a new defensive coach, Pelligrino with great zonal marking experience we should improve on our already great defensive record. Reine with the golden gloves, torres with the most goals in open play last season. Sammy Lee coming in to add another dimension to the training. A versitile midfielder, link player second striker and some width (3 4 players) I am sure we can build on last season. We were only let down in the big games against Chelski, Mancs and Arsenal, par for par we were matched the record of the top three against the other teams last season so to say Villa is anywhere near the Mighty Reds is laughable.
    As Rafa has said, the players he brings in this season will keep Liverpool challenging this season and we will have as good a chance to win the league as any of the other top three teams. The big surprise this next season will not be villa but I reckon it will be spurs and they could overtake Arsenal which will be hilarious!!!
    I hope Gerrard has another great season, he could have played better in the champions league this last year and the weight of carrying the team has shown, I am sure Barry coming in has something to do with them both knowing each others game inside out from the time they have played together in England youth so he may help to free Gerrard up more than Xabi does. I can only see good from him joining the club. My only problem I see is the price seems escalated. Silva is overrated, did not have a great Euro 08, not had a good season this year in la liga so I don’t want big money spent on him, we will see what Rafa has up his sleeve, keep red nose guessing. :o )

79. billy boy says:

If we get offered 15 million i would take that and move on, but to be fair to martin oneil he seems to think he can get more for our club. If he gets 18 million id be well chuffed, but like i say id be happy with 15 million for barry.

Hes a good player but i wouldnt pay anymore than 8 million for him, but i suppose when you look at hargreaves and carrick you have to say 15 million is a good and fair price.

I just hope he his the player Liverpool think he his, hes had a good season , can spost a good pass lacks pace but can deliver a good ball.

As for Villa winning the premiership no chance, and to be honest Liverpool have got no chance of winning it either.

Remember Liverpool aint even come close to winning it in recent years and have not won the league for 19 years.

There was a gap last season between Chelsea,arsenal and Man utd and that gap will only get bigger and Liverpool will slip away.

they also seem to be struggling financially, i think the gap will get closer to the 4th place amd the rest of the premiership as Liverpool just can not compete with the other 3.

Theyve got to yanks who bought the club for 200 million, and then borrowed 350 million against the club with secured loans.

I heard people saying the banks would not lend the money unless they thought the club was worth it, but im sure its been said about household mortgages which ARE sending people into banckrupcy, could liverpool be the next leeds?

I hope it all goes well for him.

80. billy boy says:

I find it laughable that Liverpool fans can compare their team to Arsenal, Chelsea and Man utd.

To be honest Liverpool are poor to watch apart from the odd bit of skill from either Gerrard or Torres.

Its like watching george grahams arsenal yawn

81. billy boy says:

In fact there like watching a Bolton, I cant wait until the yanks do a runner leaving the debt.

82. billy boy says:

I cant see Liverpool betting any players unless they sell so they might have the same squad as last year take a look at this.

They have taken out a loan of £350m. £105m has been secured against the club and £245m against Kop Holdings – which owns 100% of Liverpool Football Club and has only one source of revenue: The Club.

· So, regardless of the smoke and mirrors, Liverpool Football Club has to pay all of the interest on all of the £350m.

· The interest payments alone for this debt will be around £30m each year. All of which will be payable by Liverpool FC – more than enough to wipe out the club’s operating profit.

· Gillett and Hicks have only taken out this new loan over an 18 month contract. This is very unusual for a deal of this size; three years is the usual minimum term. Wall Street analysts believe that this is because they had difficulty in getting the banks to lend them the money. Which raises questions about:

THE STADIUM

· £60m of that loan has been earmarked for starting construction of the new ground.

· There is no funding yet in place to complete the stadium, nor has planning permission been granted for a 71,000 capacity. Existing consent is for 60,000, with any increase depending upon improvements to transport and car parking. With no underground car park, the new plans have less car parking than the original 60,000 design!

· If they can’t borrow again in 18 months then they cannot complete the stadium. How can they pledge now that the stadium will be built? In the same way they pledged it would be well on its way to completion twelve months ago – by misleading us.

· So do they actually intend to complete the building of the new stadium?

· Should Hicks & Gillett get the loan to actually build the new ground, the additional interest payments will be £25m per year.

· This will leave Liverpool Football Club to shoulder annual payments of £55m in interest alone. Which begs the question:

WHERE WILL THE FUNDS COME FROM FOR TRANSFERS?

· When they took over, Hicks & Gillett promised to back the manager in the transfer market.

· From the two transfer windows Hicks and Gillett have owned the club for, Benitez has spent £48.5m on players, and recouped £33.5m in player sales. A net spend of £15m. This is the up-to-date figure that includes the purchase of Skrtel and the sale of Sissoko.

· The club brought in around £30m from the run to the Champions League Final last season alone. On top of this there is the increased TV money the club’s has received.

· Where is the money Gillett and Hicks have backed the manager with? They’ve lied to us, they’ve manipulated the press, and some people have believed the spin. We won’t.

· In reality, after all the talk about money and Snoogy Doogy, the manager has spent £15m in the last two transfer windows. How is that backing him in the transfer market?

83. West Derby Red says:

I totally one sided Liverpool hating sack of shite Mr Bastardll, you wouldn’t fancy a job writing for the S*n would you?

84. West Derby Red says:

Chris Walker talks out of his Brummie porthole

85. RJ says:

Billy boy The only team in the who plays good football is arsenal (foreplay football – so much energy yet never score) Chelseas football is an eyesore and Man U minus Ronaldo play standard football

86. The Dubster says:

As an able-bodied member of a magazine company for years (manicurist), even I wouldn’t bother to write this, not least for fear of breaking my nails.

Go back to you you correspondants job.
    Sack your reference team.
    Get a new midfielder.
    Want a manicure, give me a call.

87. fred says:

dumbass

88. Anonymous says:

completely agree with the sentiment of this article. Liverpool have been absolutely unscrupulous with their recruitment.

89. TotalRed says:

Red is the colour of Champions not some ham and sandwich jersey club like villa. Given that villa has had quite an empty trophy cupboard they shouldn’t be complaining. Nowadays there are so many wannabes like the bitters, villa and spurs who has constantly shown they still stink despite spending so much money. Lets just let the football do the talking.

90. Double Pivot says:

The blogosphere is infested with Scousers waiting to jump on anything that doesn’t trumpet their club as anti-Liverpool. Don’t let it get you down Paul. Ignore them as they will never go away. Keep writing and don’t let those communists take away your right to air your voice.

As for Keane, that story is well known to have been made up by the Communists to unsettle another club that threatens their only source of income: UCL. They have tried to unsettle Villa and Pompey too. But clubs aren’t falling for it.

91. Kartik says:

How could you?

How could you write a piece about a side that has won so many Premier League titles and dominated the English game lately. The team wearing red has changed the perception of English football the world over and has converted the masses to the game. They are truly a super club with a legendary manager and the greatest collection of players any club in the world has had over the past 15 seasons.

Oh my fault. I confused Liverpool for Manchester United. I’m sorry. On second thought

GREAT PIECE!

92. R u jokin you dickhead whoever wrote this article must be on drugs aston villa have a better chance of winning the premier league than liverpool mate your’e an idiot and barry has stated that he wants to come to liverpool and the price tag 18 million pounds what a joke lampard goes to inter for 7 million and yet they want 18 for barry what a joke.

93. Kartik says:

Liga wins the Copa Lib!

Had to mention it. It was so improbable and what a game, what a tournament. Thanks to FSC for not showing the finals. :-)

Back to Liverpool. Maybe if you people actually thought about your clubs failures and then re-read this article and considered the amount of money wasted by Rafa in the transfer market this would make sense.

Oh yeah, Reds fans NEVER think rationally.

94. Rosso says:

Brilliant!! Villa have a better chance of winning the premiership than Liverpool!! Let me know when your friends arrive from your planet.

95. apandi says:

Barry want Liverpool for football that Villa cannot give him in near future. I cant see that Villa can break into top four in 3 years as Barry reach 30. We must be realistic, so to Villa fans.

96. RobertRed says:

Damn you are the most pathetic MORON I HAVE EVER COME ACROSS. No sorry, clown ooops no, fool, no wait, hmmmmmm Idiot. Damn I can’t find one word to describe you in the whole of English dictionery. Villa stand better chance of winning the EPL than Liverpool, lol, hahahahaha. Go bury your sorrows and well maybe bury yourself too, dummy, cause THE MIGHTY LIVERPOOL ARE TAKING YOUR CAPT. AWAY FROM YOU,HA

97. El-nino says:

This article is clearly aimed at having a dig at Liverpool fans. Villa have a better chance of winning the EPL than Liverpool…I didn’t know I would come across such shite on this article, otherwise I wouldn’t have wasted my time reading it. BTW Barry has publicly affirmed that he wants to play for Liverpool. On the other hand, MON has kept on inflating the price. For me paying 18m for Barry is way too much. I say let’s withdraw from making further bids and let MON keep a player who’ll certainly not give his best when the season starts. If Barry is valued at 18m then crouch should go for around 14m and Alonso for around 20m…

98. TotalRed says:

watching man utd and chelsea defend for their boring life despite spending so much money on over-priced flops and their disllusioned fans claiming to be rational is almost as absurd as the barry price tag. soccer is getting too expensive.

99. Torres says:

Wanker

100. Bouncer says:

What a pile of arse – on what basis do AV have a better chance of winning the Prem above Liverpool – yet fantasy ‘journalism’ – sorry drivel …

101. Bouncer says:

all you people who think liverpool are a peice of shit you are wrong if manchester united didnt have ronaldo they wouldnt of won the champions league of the premier league so get fucked thank you

102. Anonymous says:

funny article , had me in stitches “villa are better prepared to win the premiership” ha ha ha ….. thats classic stuff!!!!
    little club with a little manager with notions of granduer.

103. 1red says:

Why do you all hate liverpool with such venom. Jelousy certainly is a green eyed monster. How can A V be compared to LFC. They won more in tropheys 2001 than villa have accumilated in their history. Sort ya nappers out……… Aston Villa “my arse”…………

104. Bassam says:

Okay, If someone actually bothered to write an article, he or she would also bother to look at all the facts before laying down the marker. First of all, Liverpool made their offer to Aston Villa without making any fuss what so ever, even when journalists were questioning Benitez on the official website’s video content, he didn’t make any statement in regards to Barry that indicates he’s going gung-ho for him, then, MON out of no where, bursted into flames and said how come Rafa made this public, and to my surprise, non of the papers actually stated that back then, to add more salt to it, the Liverpool Echo reported that Liverpool made the bid from the burst of MON! But sadly people look at it from other corners…

Then, MON kept blaming Liverpool for looking at Barry. Okay, I know you’re working with a squad as small as the head you have, but to come out and start publicly slating a club that has done the whole deal with utmost respect is just shameful and disrespectful, and his actions for this transfer have been nothing short of crap to be honest.

I’m not even buying into this “Gerrard’s a best mate with Barry”, like this would just bring any player to Liverpool, right?… Henry has been truly a great friend of Trezeguet, yet we haven’t seen him telling him to come to Barcelona, even though the Spanish club have been rumoured for the Juve striker’s signature!

And what made me lose it was “Villa have a better chance of winning the Premiership than Liverpool with the potential of players they have”… sorry mate, but I’ll take Babel anyday ahead of Harewood, Agger any long day ahead of Curtis Davis, and no need to get even close to Gerrard and Torres on that point. enough said

105. John k says:

What a Wally! Are you a professional? If so, you should be sacked for your in correct information. But hey, thats part of a journalist job isnt it? You have a problem with LFC, get over it. We ARE the MOST succesful team in English football and the greatest. You ALL know it and are jealous. Get a life

106. pokopite says:

villa hv more chances than liverpool? in your dream mate. you sucks! villa hv gained best league table last season with lucks.. n dont forget scottie carson was our keeper playing ur rearguard! try next season without him. i hope rafa will cancel the deal if it exceed 14m. i rather keep xabi or use the transfer money out of him to get d.silva and/or d.villa. good luck u villans next season. i reckon barry will play with half of his heart where the other half belongs to liverpool.

107. bild says:

well when your best players wants to leave for a better club, that should tell you something.After 11 years why should’t the poor chap have a go at another club. As for money and playing with his best pal, hmm lets be reminded we all do have a live and to make the best of it while you can. AV wining the title, well you will always have our blessing and if you can’t actually win it,at least in your dreams.

108. The God says:

Even though Liverpool has not won the EPL since 1990, but I always like to remind everyone of the following facts:
    1. Man Utd waited 26 years to win the league title since 1967
    2. Fergie waited 7 seasons to win his first English league title since 1986
    3. Aston Villa only won one league title for the past 98 years
    4. Chelsea waited 50 years to win their 2nd league title
    5. Spurs has not won a league since 1961
    6. Gunners have waited for 18 years since 1971 to win the league in 1989

Conclusion: What’s wrong with Rafa to win the EPL in his fifth season with Liverpool?

I have not even mentioned the Champion league and FA Cup.

109. Aidan says:

I think i speak for all Liverpool fans when i say

Paul, your gay! Your article is gay, even when our messages are diplayed in the same font, same coluor same size , yours look……yes you guessed it gay!

110. Rob says:

Pathetic article. One sided too. Villa haven’t won a trophy for over 10 years, in that time Liverpool have won more than any other English team – yes, I know that doesn’t include the Prem title, but do Villa fans really believe they’re more likely to win than Liverpool? They’re in dreamland. Why wouldn’t Barry want to better himself? The price tag is ludicrous.

111. Chris says:

I agree with many of the other rebukes of this article, and also wonder why it’s such a big deal that the unwritten constraints on ‘tapping up’ are such taboo, especially given that most clubs are guilty of it. In every other profession it’s quite acceptable for other potential employers to show interest in someone, yet in football there’s a massive fuss and convenient suggestions of dishonour when actually, honour is uniformly absent in the game. The reason Villa are so bothered by Liverpool’s interest isn’t because the way they approched it, it’s because someone wants to buy their best player. I have great respect for Martin O’Neill, but his recent actions appear as something of a childish tantrum. I don’t know why GB would make up that story about nobody contacting him(?) Why would someone say that if it weren’t true? If he is lying about that then it’s very strange behaviour but I can’t think of one reason why he would.
    How does this guy get to write for a ‘reputable’ outlet when his opinion is clearly bias and largely based on dodgy information..? Is it for the drama? As a genuine football fan, I’m not interested in transfer soap operas and doubt anyone with half a brain could derive entertainment from the endless, excrutiating speculation.

112. The God says:

Chris Walker, are you a Villa fan? If you are please follow me to shout ‘Viva Villa’… for proudly won a league title in the past 98 years.

113. Anonymous says:

how poor is this guy really needs to be sacked terible writing.

114. babel-gerrard-torres says:

you are a baised ****.
    liverpool have won champs league 2005 and finished second in 2007. we have also wo the fa cup 2006. villa have not won a league title in 98 years, liverpool have won 18 pl’s, villa haven’t won a trophy in the last TEN yearsASTON VILLA are in good shape, yes, but they are miles of liverpool. villa’s best player is barry. do you honestly barry is better than torres gerrard babel reina mascherano agger skrtel carragher and last but not least the great xabi alonso. villa haave got no chance at the title but liverpool are in the mix

115. babel-gerrard-torres says:

is billy-boy paul bestall?

116. babel-gerrard-torres says:

BOLLOCKS

117. Michael says:

Hey guys, I hope you realize that Barry’s valuation isn’t based on that of Mascherano, it’s based on that of his fellow England holding midfielders, Carrick and Hargreaves, and what Man U paid for them. Barry is ahead of Carrick in the England depth chart and level, if not ahead of, Hargreaves, so it would follow that Villa has priced him at the same level as those two.

118. Ciaran says:

Look Aston Villa reported that Liverpool had bids rejected, officially Liverpool have not commented on the matter although Rafa has come out in defence of his actions or inactions as the case may be, he simply said, “yes we have made a bid” thats it really.

119. Janindra, Thailand says:

i think that this article was written more in favou of Aston Villa rather than liverpool. i don’t agree with the writer’s presupposed conclusions. all the managers declare their target annually. We know the targets of each manager every year. We know the targets of liverpool in the same way as we know the targets of chealsea. why? because the names of those targets appear on the media. you have to realise that the barry saga is still on because liverpool never meets the asking price even it was liverpool’s third or fourth bid already. the same is applied to keane. rafa mentions his target on the media, but he is not alone. fergussion and scolari also do the same. the difference is that liverpool is broke. don’t feel biased against rafa!

120. Ragish says:

The most funny thing is the mancs ‘supporters’ coming to talk about the barry saga, when they will surely be without that wanker ronaldo. I never thought that these mancs would fall so down. Poor mancs, happy days it seems are going, especially when it was revealed that they have all that debt (and you talk about us having debts!) 200million only on player purchases. No wonder how you win the league (Ferdinand 30 million, et al) Muppets

121. Lee Geat says:

Rubbish.
    thats to put it nicely.
    SH*T

122. t says:

I love what these manc/chelski/villa supporters are saying. They can’t handle our club being the most decorated in England and they know that our dry spell is coming to an end and they are scared shitless. So what do they do, they hang on to the last thread of hope that we will go longer without a title so the mancs can CATCH UP, but they all know it’s not going to happen. This article is rediculous, but refreshing because it shows that they are aware that success is soon to be ours and that no club will be able to catch our achievements. YNWA

123. t says:

to the mancs….

We won it three times
    we won it three times
    in 81!
    We won it three times

124. tom hallahan says:

I thought this must have been a comedy article. “Villa have a better chance than liverpool of winning the league” – god, that was a good one. I’m still laughing writing this.

125. Toby Tyke says:

Mr Bestall what a superb bit of s##t stirring.
    Boy do the scousers take themselves serious.
    Get over yourselves, your team won nothing this season and after seeing your strength in depth goalkeeper Charles Slack -handsja blow it to little old Barnsley in the FA Cup you need to spend far more to strengthen your squad than you think. I can see a lot more years of frustration to come I’m afraid.

126. Wythenshaw Walter says:

As a Man United fan I agree about Villa. They are defo a bigger threat to the real league contenders than Liverpool. I hope Villa screw them for every penny they have, they are a club without any class, they have the scruffiest trakkie wearing fans in the country although to be fair the vast majority of them are Irish.

127. Janindra, Thailand says:

if you put a high asking price for barry, what happens if liverpool puts a high price any every player Martin O’Neil (MON) wants from liverpool? that means aston villa could not trade with liverpool any more. we will put a high price for our players as well. i think MON is too greedy!

128. Jeremiah says:

I love Liverpool fans. “Villa finishing above Liverpool? You’re having a laugh. We’ve got fourth or fifth place sewn up!”
    I’m glad they’ve set their goals so high.
    Also, I think it’s been well-established that the Barry valuation is based on Carrick and Hargreave’s fees – comparable players and behind Barry on the English pecking order. You lose a bit of credibility if you criticize an article for bad information with bad information of your own.
    I’ll be laughing when Liverpool have to sell off their players to pay their debts and join Leeds in the Championship (assuming they can get promoted to the Championship in the next three years).

129. Michael says:

Excuse me, Jeremiah, actually if you’d bother to read all the comments, you’d see that most people were saying Barry’s price was based on what Liverpool paid for Mascherano.

You lose a bit of credibility for being ignorant, because I wasn’t criticizing the original article at all; in fact, I was trying to clarify something that many people didn’t seem to understand.

Before you spout off again, make sure you read everything written first. Thanks.

130. Best says:

liverpool wants to sign barry.
    barry wants to join liverpool.
    Martin O’Neil puts too much price on barry.
    Mr.Martin O’Neil is too greedy.
    too greedy
    too greedy
    too greedy
    idiot!

131. byrneitez says:

hey walter im irish what was that suppose to mean united fans are glory supporters they hibernate until they win something then there everywhere with there jerseys and there shitetalking filthy mancs why is it that nearly every man u fan i know is a gobshite is that the criteria to be a man u fan also shite article who ever wrote this isnt good enough to write a school paper

132. mark says:

How can Villa have more chance of the premiership than Liverpool. You finished 16 points behind us. As for using the Echo to unsettle players by letting them know they are interested, what bollocks. They have made 3 bids for Barry. I am sure he knows from this that Liverpool are interested.

133. RafaTheRed says:

I’ve changed my mind!!!

What a great article! It’s so bad it’s stimulated so much debate through the paucity of its content.

Let’s be quite clear since the turn of the century Liverpool has won

2 x FA Cup
    1 UEFA Cup
    1 European Cup (Champions League)
    2 x Super Cup
    2 x League Cup

That’s an average of one major trophy every year. In fact the only trophy Liverpool haven’t won and what appears to be what the main argument is based on seems to be the Premier League Trophy.

Liverpool outside of Chelsea and Manchester United are the most successful side in the English Premier League. Arsenal have been quite baron. And in European competition Liverpool are not just the most successful English side over the past five years, but the most successful football side in European competition over the past five years…FACT.

Villa on the other hand is the most successful football side in Birmingham!!!! WOW!!!

Now there are three types of football fans! Realists, optimists and pessimists!
    Villa fans you certainly are optimists. However although your fantastic 6th place finish offers you hope and non-necessity to be pessimistic, I think you really need to be more realistic. Liverpool has only finished outside the top 4 twice since the turn of the century and will be stronger again next year! Villa have lost their best player and captain, have also lost one of their best defenders and have still to buy replacements. You have a very small squad which consists of no world class players and have a manager who outside of Scotland has only won 2 League cups! Is this man capable of taking you to the next level? Which may I add is still a couple of levels short of where Liverpool are!

The top 4 will remain this year the same as the top 4 last season, which order will be decided by transfers, injuries and a little luck. Everton will remain a strong competitive side. Spurs will be a lot stronger (Ramos is a very good proven coach at the top level in a top league). As will Middlesbrough, Manchester City, Newcastle, Portsmouth and perhaps Blackburn (depending on who’s sold).

Villa will do very well to finish 6th again this season – Remember Villa finished the season quite poorly and the INTO TOTO Cup has a history of finding clubs out at the end of a long season. Especially small squads!

134. Knowone says:

Wow, the Plop fans really seems to have some sort of inferiority complex. Constantly rehashing all the things you have won. How about looking ahead instead? That’s is the way to better yourself, not going on about some past that really doesn’t matter much.

Villa knows that some serious work has to be done to challenge the top 4. Villa looks ahead. While the scousers somewhat steadily hangs on to their fourth spot, Villa’s curve the last to PL seasons points very much upwards. Add to that the MON factor, a healthy economy, a role model chairman and a very exciting young squad and the assertion about Villa being more dangerous than a bankruptcy-threatened Liverpool doesn’t seem quite that ludicrous.

Sorry to say, I see a very frustrating future for the scouse fans.

135. Stevo says:

All scousers are criminals.

Think i have made my point

136. Lonnie says:

Isn’t it splitting hairs to say that Barry’s valuation is based on Carrick/Hargreaves rather than Mascherano? All of those players cost somewhere in the £16 – 19m range in transfer fees.

137. Michael says:

Well, that’s a fair amount of money first of all ($6 million US), and second of all, I don’t think it’s splitting hairs at all. The reason Carrick and Hargreaves are in the same general range as Mascherano is simply because they’re English, not because they’re as good or better than Mascherano, and neither is Barry. However, when you take into account the English nationality which drives up the price, you should mention that Barry isn’t based on Mascherano.

138. RafaTheRed says:

Listen Knowone!!!

Villa finished 11th and 6th in the last 2 seasons…WOW

Spurs finished 5th, 5th and last season a healthy 11th in the last 3 seasons.

Spurs have spent more money in that time than both Liverpool and Villa and I feel have a much better squad, more potential and a better manager than Villa. Last year they still couldn’t make the jump from pretenders.

VILLA ARE NOT EVEN PRETENDERS YET!!! THEY DIDN’T EVEN QUALIFY FOR EUROPE (TOTO CUP ANYONE)

LIVERPOOL HAVE BEEN IN THE TOP 4 TEAMS IN THE PREMIER LEAGUE AND IN EUROPE FOR THE LAST 4 YEARS!!!

You have neither the size of squad nor quality to finish above were you finished last season and possibly won’t finish there but lower down the table.

THAT’S WHY BARRY WANTS TO JOIN LIVERPOOL. CONSISTENTLY WIN CUP, CONSISTENTLY IN EUROPE, GREAT PLAYERS AND POTENTIAL TO WIN THE PREMIER LEAGUE.

WHAT FORM HAVE VILLA SHOWN OVER THE LAST 15 YEARS?

ONE VERY AVERAGE SEASON AND YOU START SPOUTING RUBBISH!!!

HOW MANY VILLA PLAYER WOULD GET INTO THE LIVERPOOL SQUAD? 1 ASHLEY YOUNG (Barry already liverpool player).

How many Liverpool players get into the Villa Team? Any of the 4 central defenders (Agger, Skertal, Hyppia and Carragher). Any 5 fullbacks (Finnan, Dossena, Aurelio, Insua and Deggan) Any 6 central midfielders (Gerrard, Macherano, Alonso, Barry, Lucas and Plessis) Crouch, kuyt, Babbel and Torres.

We have to ask the same questions about how many of the Liverpool team would get into the Utd or Chelsea side/squad! That’s how we gauge were we are!

Villa are an insignificance

139. Anonymous says:

I am a Villa supporter. Villa and Liverpool currently have the same level of chance of winning the premiership that being very low! Only thing I would say is that Villa have a sound financial base and a first class chairman to work with rather than a feuding board and no cash!

Regarding the valuation of Barry …. the valuation needs to be the cost it takes to replace Barry… name a player that could fill Barry’s shoes at Villa for less than 18m? Barry has displaced Hargreaves and Carrick from the England Team – they would attract a simliar…. .Villa want to improve and move forwards we must get a player at least equal that of Barry …. .

Anyway the rights and wrongs of this could be argued forever without conclusion ..bottom line is Barry has been valued by the club at 18m, Liverpool either pay or dont pay …their choice. We are in a position where money is not the be all and end all to moving forward and improving the team ….

140. Kartik says:

Hull City has as good a chance of winning the Prem as Liverpool. It’s amazing for all the arrogance of the Liverpool fans, since the formation of the Prem, Leeds and Newcastle have put up more of a fight in a given season to win the Prem and Blackburn has actually won it!

Crow all you want, but Rafa is a poor manager who got lucky in the CL his first year, and your side has wasted so much money on transfers its not even funny.

141. Salford Sam says:

Spot on article, Villa have more chance than the scousers of winning the league. Liverpool fans are deluded, one proper trophy in 18 years and they still bang on about their history! They won’t win anything next season either. 3 seasons with no trophies equals another manager to try an lock horns with Fergie. Fergies seen off Dalgleish,Souness, Evans, Moran, Houillier and Benetiz is next to go. Sad whiny scousers.

142. Mighty Red says:

Im a Liverpool fan and one that chooses to reply in a civil manner.

When we stand next to Villa, we are ahead of them and past form can give a good reflection on what is to come but, it is not certain.

With our club in the hands of Americans, i can only see us slipping away and most Pool fans will agree with me that we need to get shot of them pair yesterday.

I would give my right arm to have Randy Lerner as chairman at pool, He could take us to the title once more. Within the next 3 – 5 years i can see Villa replacing us and Arsenal if something doesnt change soon, there is always the threat of Spurs and Everton to. We wont win the League with current circumstances and we have always fell short. im disapointed, but unlike other pool fans im not letting my pride get in the way.

143. Michael says:

Randy Lerner is an American as well, you do realize that, right?

144. Perinho says:

Mate.
    From that article i learned 2 things:
    1) You don’t know your football and
    2) You have a thing against liverpool
    I admit that Liverpool are in need of some replacement players (after getting rid of kewell, riise and probs crouch and xabi alonso), but it would be smarter for them not to go after players who don’t fit those possies. Personally i would like to see David Villa and Xavi enter the EPL (aka Liverpool) or Jesus Navas once he gets cured of homesickness.

145. Villan says:

Villa have not got more chance of winning the Premier League than Liverpool. We have both got the same chance — NONE!!!!

146. GodVilla says:

lmao, liverpool fans cant stand the fact that they are not going to win the premiership yet again! The article is very well written and totally correct that liverpool are using the media to unsettle the players because they cant afford to pay the going rate for players. how liverpool are going to be able to afford Keane and Barry is a mystery. Alsono is not going anywhere because no one wants him, carson is very very average and worth only 4 million. have already spent 9 million on a goalkeeper and a full back, so with keane and barry the total spending would be 47 million. I DONT THINK SO! even with 19 million from crouch, carson and Risse thats still 26 million and where is that coming from.

I totally agree that liverpool are financially weaker than Villa, but even as a staunch aston villa fan i have to admit liverpool have a better squad, and better players. Liverpool fans are going to have to realise that they are a club like any other in the premier league outside of the top 2.

But over a period of 5 years including last year, liverpool are stagnating at the very least and Villa are improving all the time under Martin O’Neill and liverpool are getting more desperate the longer the summer goes on.

You have NO MONEY and CANT AFFORD TO PAY 18 Million for a England player, also liverpool fans would say Gerrard is easily worth 30 to 40 million so barry is defo worth 18 mill.

I also don’t see how liverpool fans think we have conducted the media games when liverpool released details of the original bid the day after they lost to Chelsea in the champions league semi final. obviously a cover for yet another average season for supposedly one of the top 4, which really is a top 2 followed by Arsenal then Liverpool.

Benitez is a very very average manager albeit a lucky one, he has spent millions on a squad full of very average players such as Pennant, Kuyt, Sissoko, Vorinin, Bellamy, aurellio, Arbeloa and Benayuon. Yes i know some are good/average premiership players but thats all how do you expect to win the league with players like that?

cant stand the arrogance shown by liverpool and their fans, all need to get over themselves! look forward to a decade of average boring football!

UP THE VILLA

147. RafaTheRed says:

GodVilla 25% of your article was good!!! the other 75% is utter drivel!!!

Benitez an average lucky manager?
    2x Spanish title
    1xUEFA Cup
    1x FA Cup
    1x European Cup
    1x Super Cup
    Semi finalist in Champions league 3 out of 4 years! (including another champs league final)
    1x carling final (not really worth mentioning).

So because he has not won the Premier league he’s an average manager? and also because you have shown 1 season of improvement your now certain to continue the improvement into the top 4 this year?

Martin O’neill
    2x league cup (though that wasn’t worth mentioning!!)
    Oh I forgot he won in Scotland! – but hasn’t Gordon Strachan just won 3 in a row? So that makes Strachan a great manager!!! Didn’t Souness win in Scotland and Walter Smith!!!

arrogance; an attitude of superiority manifested in an overbearing manner or in presumptuous claims or assumptions.

You and the rest of the Villa fans are arrogant! One average season (poor by Liverpool standards) and you start spouting rubbish!

Tell you what! Lets just wait and see what happens! If you finish within 10 points of us next year you win!

Until then keep dreaming.

RIGHT UP THE VILLA…. LOL

148. Brian Mchugh says:

Pasul Bestall has got to be a Martin O’Neil nom de plume. Every time you use ” Liverpool ” in the subjective, your subsequent word is seem. This is a ploy used by a writer who is short on facts and literary backbone. Furthermore it is gramatically shoddy. I cannot alter your obvious abhorrence of LFC because it will be borne by gealousy and I can’t change history but I can offer a tip when you put pen to your heartfelt hatred…….borrow a thesaurus.

149. lfcland.com says:

Hey m8, this is the worst article i have ever come across. Please try to compose yourself when wrtiing an article. shit knt

150. Mr LFC says:

everyone should stop arguing all ppl are doing are leaving their opinions no point bagging everyone out coz it aint gonna achevive nuthing.

liverpoool need a striker besides voronin maybe david villa and a middy now that alonso s gone we have aquilani and benayoun who scored a hatty twice anyway. if rafa had enough cash DAVID VILLA AND SILVA wouldve been ours …

but what can you do, rafa has won the champions league 5 times so to all Chelsea fans who havent won and sacked their coach HAHAHAHA

151. Kon says: