SUN, 8:30AM ET
SUN, 11AM ET
EVE
CRY
SUN, 3PM ET
LEV
BAR

Julie Foudy: You Are ESPN's Weakest Link, Goodbye!

julie foudy Julie Foudy: You Are ESPN's Weakest Link, Goodbye!At the start of the Euro 2008 tournament, ESPN pundits were asked who was going to be their star of the tournament. Pundit Julie Foudy picked Thierry Henry. Her choice showed how clueless she is about the sport.

I’m still scratching my head why ESPN selected Foudy as a member of their Euro 2008 broadcasting team. Maybe the network thought it wanted to break up the male monopoly by having a token female on its staff?

It would have been wiser for ESPN to have selected Seamus Malin instead of Foudy, a former member of the U.S. women’s team.

If you have any clue why Foudy was selected, please share your comments below.

52 Responses to Julie Foudy: You Are ESPN's Weakest Link, Goodbye!

1. mjc says:

I think she was rightfully selected on the basis of ANYONE BUT SEAMUS MALIN.

2. You gotta stop the extra early morning postings…they make no sense.

If you follow the international scene long enough, you know when push comes to shove that Henry steps up for country.

I don’t think any of us though realized this team was just that old, to the point it borderlined on sad.

I haven’t minded Fowdy at all. Actually the more over the top hate (seems to me like these people want the gig themselves…not going to happen people) Fowdy gets, the more I want ESPN to keep her center camera.

3. vh1 says:

She is the worst!

4. Kartik says:

Look shoot for me being somewhat nationalistic but some of us appreciate having an American on these studio shows breaking up the lens of everything being viewed from a purely European perspective. I understand the Brits invented football and many feel the Americans

a) have no business playing it
    b) have made it a girls sport
    c) have generally corrupted what is a beautiful game.

However if these matches are going to be aired and produced for an AMERICAN audience, it is important to have an American perspective. Who better than a former national team member who actually follows world football unlike Eric Wynalda and isn’t a total anglophile like John Harkes to give a balanced reasoned perspective.

Those who want to make our coverage or matches resemble that of the match coverage in the UK don’t realize the game will never grow beyond its small core base of fans here or will even reach the masses of latino and southern european fans who are used to a different type of viewing experience including different types of commentators. The inclusion of Pedro Gomes a cuban-american from Miami who knows soccer and used to attend Strikers matches growing up is a good step in the right direction.

Foudy commented on the 1998 and 2006 World Cups in the ESPN studio and while their were complaints the attacks on her during the Euros have been over the top and quite frankly in some cases (not from you gaffer but from other) purely sexist and smacking of two things:

1- A women should not comment on a man’s game.
    2- An American should not comment on a British/European game.

Those who have made these types of implied comments need to understand the bigger picture and appreciate that this is 2008 and not 1958.

5. betsy's bolton bum baster says:

ew ew, thake her picture off please. my eyes are burning!!!

6. Hudsonland says:

“when push comes to shove [...] Henry steps up for country” – I must have missed that game.

Foudy’s been OK; you might criticise some of her predictions but her knowledge of the world game seems fine. And I really enjoyed Gullit hitting on her yesterday.

I thought Pedro Gomes has been very poor, but maybe he just rubs me up the wrong way.

Overall, the top layer of competent American talent is very thin, but that’s only to be expected given the sport’s relative profile.

7. Simon Burke says:

She hasnt been too bad and Kartik is right, its not surprising to have an American or two in the coverage – we are lucky its not Marcelo Balboa and the likes of Wynalda.
    Julie has been fine – so she doesnt know as much as Andy Gray but she does know as much as Tommy Smyth.
    I have no complaints with her really. All in all ESPN havent done too bad a job and there is an awful lot worse than her out there they could have picked. Its an American network – be thankful you have it at all and its not PPV like the last one.

PS) Henry scored one goal in 2 games against tough teams. A one in two ratio is pretty good at the best of times – and one of those games he played on a team with 10 men against the best defense in the world.

8. Bill says:

I can’t say she’s the weakest link. My problem, and it’s probably shared with a lot of hard core American fans, but still my problem, is that I’m thoroughly anglicized in all of my conceptual thinking about the game, and when she talks about soccer in American terms (“go ball”, “offensive zone”, etc), it grates. But she’s not unique in that respect, and certainly not the worst.

9. kat kid says:

meh, Barry Glendenning of the Guardian picked Russia to go to the Finals and extolled the virtues of Gomez as the German scoring machine of the tourney.

There is a reason why people aimlessly bet on first goals and golden boots. They are difficult to predict. Take her to task for something tangible, back it up with a funny youtube of her making an ass of herself or concede that YOU, Gaffer, are making an ass of YOURself.

I think the pre/post match stuff has been mostly fluff (as with virtually every pre/post match report of any sport on TV ever unless you are so unbelievably biased due to an extreme interest in your team’s game or win) but Foudy hasn’t deserved to be pulled out for ridicule in my mind. She is much better than the crap ESPN has thrown out in the past and is better than Smyth. Sheesh.

10. tampasoccer says:

She says “offsides”: it isn’t plural, it is an “offside”, lady! Gullit hitting on her after the Holland’s game was hilarious.
    But, yes, she is clueless about the game, compared to others. Hey, again, ESPN has done fantastic so far, and I am not going to badmouth them for picking her to sit in the studio.
    Remember the dark days when you had to pay $200 for the whole tourney? And the days of a 2 hour Premier League highlights show on your local Fox Sports station in the middle of the night. Or, even more recently, the days of Wynalda, O’Brian, and Balboa in the studio?
    Come on, life is good nowadays!!!

11. damir says:

OMFG thank you gaff.
    I’ve been saying this since the tournament started.

She is horrible. Has no clue what she’s talking about.

I’m going to keep saying it, I can do a better job than her.

12. olivert says:

The perception of Foudy among knowledgable viewers: she “mails it in”.

It should be obvious even to casual viewers that she is not doing enough preparation for the broadcasts.

13. Zack W says:

Did anyone catch her yelling KOBE! KOBE! KOBE! the other night when they were doing Celtics v Lakers highlights?

14. DWC says:

To be honest Foudy has not been good, in fact the guy next to her sucks too. This is football or excuse me soccer. They constantly use phrases like fastbreak and screen pass this is not basketball and the constant comparison is demeaning to the great sport that is football.

ESPN and their entire team are guilty of trying to dumb down the sport by having Julie go over goals and point out stuff like she would have had so much vision that it could never have happened to her.

I am bored with the English ESPN and watch in Spanish even if my spanish is limited to Yo hablo espanol, it is 1000000% better than listening to that in studio nonsense.

15. Ace Cowboy says:

I have a theory…I think ESPN is facing so many sexual harassment lawsuits that they overcompensate and trot out women for the sake of trotting out women. “Hey, we’re nice to women, see how often they show up on our studio telecasts? See how often we promote the WNBA?”

Foudy = ESPN’s defensive posture

16. Kartik says:

American ingenuity has fueled the world economy, changed science and technology and generally made the world a safer and more humane place to live in. Yet I am constantly shocked by the number of Americans who show their guilt or dare I say their inferiority complex by claiming we cannot use our terminology to describe the game our viewers. The game must be described in a European or British fashion. These people have some chip on their shoulder and feel in order to prove how much they love Football or understand it they must bash everything American. The funny thing which I’ll mention later in greater detail is Europeans themselves don’t find the American coverage of the sport or the fact we play it as offensive as some of you.

Why do some of you feel the British/Euro terminology is by default the proper terminology? Is it because this is their sport and we are barbaric heathens that like Nascar and the violence of American Football over the subtle beauty of football? Of course not! Again, Europeans don’t view this way outside of some ignorant journalists on Fleet Street, but American soccer fans feel they must show how unlike fans of American sports they are.

It is because some of you are so reared in the American Soccer culture that anything American in this sport is somehow inferior to its European counterpart.

Everytime I go to the UK I am amazed by how many foreign names their announcers mispronounce (names that strangely many American announcers reared on Baseball, a game that has lots of ethnic latinos in the big leagues can pronounce properly) and by how poor their general production quality is compared to any mainstream American TV production. Yet I don’t scream, “Hire some Americans.” It is what it is: a program geared to a British audience.

This is American TV, not the BBC or ITV. Rece Davis and Julie Foudy are explaining terms to generally an American audience. Why do some of you have to act like complete eurosnob elitists in knocking any American commentary or discussion of this game. If you don’t want us playing the game then just say it. Say the US shouldn’t have a domestic league or a national team because we will always be inferior to the Europeans (even though we as a nation have conquered everything we have ever set out to conquer) and that you wish all the announcers and studio guests were European.

Gaffer made a simple suggestion of Seumas Malin who I grew up with and like. But he
    too would be waaaaaaaaaaay too Americanized in his terminology for many of you.

The funny thing is people in England or in Europe aren’t this way about Americans and their interest in the game. They are generally pretty curious about the US National Team, MLS/USL and how the game is covered here.

It’s Americans who somehow feel they are inferior as a football fan that have to prove how smart they are about the game by showing how European oriented they are and by bashing all things American that propagate this culture and it flat out sucks.

17. Simon Burke says:

Kartik
    I gave you a strong agreement above but I disagree here:

I dont think anyone in England particularly cares about the US National team or MLS.

Also when i am watching Baseball – I prefer to have American commentators and the same for NFL – when Sky used to do the NFL (and they may still do this) they had English people at half time doing the studio bit and by God they sucked. Sometimes its best to stick to who’s good at it.
    That said I think Foudy has been fine – Tommy not so much and I dont like Seamus (and I am half Irish). I am just delighted I am seeing this for free and also on ESPN360 – this coverage has been alright for me.

In England we trot out some right muppets, Tim Sherwood on Setanta , Mark lawrenson (an acquired taste but not mine), Barry Venison and his awful suits used to pop up on Sky…

18. Kartik says:

Well my experience has been different abroad. No the US team isn’t on their mind but when I tell them I’m American they are curious. Of course they’ve never heard of any American players, but who would? Right now Canada has better players than we do (as I just wrote to a listener who complained about my always having the “negative” Jaime Trecker on my show) and our few positive results are due to our vast financial advantage over federations like Canada, Jamaica, Honduras who actually have better players and ones making more of an impact in top leagues. Actually in the case of Canada and Honduras they have better players in MLS than any of the top yanks stateside.

Brazil-Argentina tonight. Sure the Euros have been good, but it doesn’t get any better than this. I spent $25 so it better be a cracker!

19. eplnfl says:

As to Foudy, don’t mind her, I think she probably does mail it in , she most likely was showing here lack of preparation when she fell back of Henry as a player to watch. If, you are not in on this secret now you are, many of the former players that hit the studio or broadcast both fail to do the work they should to prepare for a broadcast. Foundy most likely is no different then the rest.

Having watched the BBC coverage of the last World Cup while in London in June of 06, I can clearly state ESPN is head and shoulders above the BBC in production quality. Hands down the ESPN coverage of Euro 08 has been outstanding and will help build the audience for soccer in the US. The pre and post game shows for Euro 08 and MLS are excellent reviews of the current of action and of general soccer news
    of interest to the American viewer. As well as promoting ESPN showings.

20. Kevin says:

lol, that was for the opening comment by mjc, “on the basis of ANYONE BUT SEAMUS MALIN” so true my friend so true

21. betsy's bolton bum baster says:

Foudy’s analysis hasn’t been her downfall. I think her mannerisms get on my nerves more than anything else.

For one she sounds like a fucking robot, her lazy eyes and ugly face make me want to punch my television. Secondly she has no passion at all and thinks everything is a joke it seems. She is chuckling at EVERYTHING like it is a damn tick or something. I know it is probably a bad habit but she needs to stop because it is so irritating. She also acts like she’s thinks she is a comedian, making jokes when the analysts are talking and interrupting the host. She acts like it is some kind of damn variety show and needs to just stick to the soccer analysis. Plus she is ugly as hell.

22. Dan says:

Foudy is better than Smyth and while she may not raise the quality of the broadcast she does not detract. She is to me a necessary part of the broadcast even if it is to just make Rece Davis not look so out of place.

I like the team. I only turn away when Smyth opens his mouth to say something about an onion bag.

23. todd says:

first off i think rece davis has done very well if you consider he isnt a soccer guy…he has done research to find out the players we should know and their clubs etc.

to foudy. first off the question is why have her on. for me its very simple…ESPN knows there are a few different types of people out there who are already interested in soccer. laintos (who may opt for ESPN deportes anyway), expats and various other ‘foreigners’, and young girls. the young girls because they play soccer and think the guys are hot. so to have foudy up there they are getting that i think. not to mention shes played in international tournaments and is the only american analyst.

overall though she gets on my nerves because she always seems to be making jokes or talking over people…she just doesnt seem as professional or prepared. its hard to look that good though sitting next to andy gray. overall her opinions are fine though…i think if she took it more seriously she would do extremely well.

guys just dont want a woman who has won medals and trophies playing this sport telling them what to think.

as i always say…more of american soccer fan being the worst thing for this sport in this country

24. erik says:

the best illustration of julie foudy’s incompetence was when the question of a tough away ground to play at. andy gray mentions turkey and a ground ive never heard of called the den. julie foudy says playing in portugal, because she wanted to spend more time on the beach instead of playing soccer.
    andy gray looked like he wanted to slap her, as did i.
    could you imagine if espn’s coverage of the nba finals had some former star from the wnba? never. why soccer?

25. Pingback: Euro Dose June 18, ‘06 - Euro 2008

26. Victor says:

To Erik- Why Soccer? Well would you want some former US men’s soccer player instead? As has been mentioned, Wynalda and Balboa are plainly terrible as commentators. Foudy isn’t great, but she isn’t as annoying/insipid as those two. There isn’t a Charles Barkley we can throw out there.

Of course this isn’t feasible, but I think any of the FSC guys would do a good job, and maybe 3 weeks on ESPN pays more than 2 years on FSC.

27. joejoejoe says:

Julie Foudy is a good broadcaster. She a refreshing change from all the stupid yelling on ESPN. I have my own strong opinions about the games on TV. I don’t need manufactured conflict in a ten minute halftime highlight show. Just give me the highlights, give me the day’s news, and a little bit of basic breakdown of the tactics. Foudy does all of that well.

I saw Rob Stone chastize Croatia for celebrating on the field in Group stage against Germany. Well ex-cuuusse me. This from a network that had a liveshot of the a backup catcher for the Red Sox arriving from an airport in Boston. I saw John Anderson on Sportscenter mock Lukas Podolski’s calf injury and imply he should suck it up and play through it like Tiger Woods. Last I checked soccer was a bit tougher on the legs then golf. My point is ESPN on-air talent largely sucks at covering soccer. Julie Foudy is refreshing if only because she’s at least minimally competent.

Foudy has 271 caps for the US National Team over 17 years and has two Olympic Gold Medals and two World Cup wins — all broadcast to large audiences inside the US. If that’s a token then maybe you have issues with women broadcasters in general, not Julie Foudy.

Note to Erik: ESPN does use a woman broadcaster for their 2nd broadcast team in NBA basketball, Doris Burke. She’s good.

28. Kartik says:

Actually the best point in that discussion of tough away ground was by Rob Stone who rightfully mentioned trips to Central America for the US and Mexico as being what they are HELL. Third world accommodations, poorly sodded or plastic pitches and nasty fans who throw things on the pitch all night. Those European fans who constantly call the Turks “animals” have never seen anything quite like it.

As far as Gray is concerned he knows nothing outside of the Premier League and clubs who play Champions League football from the big leagues. That’s why he has had a hard time discussing players who do not play for let’s say the top 3 or 4 clubs in other leagues. Also he is so biased against anyone with a connection to Chelsea FC it’s is truly sick.

29. Kartik says:

Trust me: Wynalda and Balboa know nothing about soccer outside of the MLS and Mexican League. Wyanlda I am pretty sure doesn’t follow any European football. He simply isn’t an option for a European Championship. Balboa the same.

30. Johnny says:

Julie Foudy makes my ears bleed
    So does Doris Burke.
    So does that other woman who is usually covering the noon big 10 football game in the Metrodome.

But it is not because they are woman. It is because they are so stale and boring.

and please…Julie Foudy knows nothing about football. Give me a break.

31. johnny says:

Katrik: American ingenuity has fueled the world economy, changed science and technology and generally made the world a safer and more humane place to live in.

Thanks for the history lesson, you tool.

32. Pingback: Euro 2008 Quarter Finals » We Say Soccer - Soccer From the Cheap Seats

33. Kartik says:

Actually when Doris Burke did syndicated College Basketball games as an analyst she was awesome before ESPN got a hold of her and made her change her act. She gave straight analysis and understood the game much better than most of the former jocks that end up on these telecasts.

34. Kartik says:

Johnny being an American and being patriotic and proud of our nations accomplishments makes me a tool? That’s a total crock. Every other countries citizens can boast about their great authors, athletes and scientists without feeling the wrath of citizens in their own nation but as an American if you do so you are some how branded an imperialist, a stooge and a tool. I actually as an American detest impearlism and think a reason exists that we didn’t take many colonies (The Philippines being an obvious exception) and Woodrow Wilson declined the spoils of war after WW I leaving Europe and the Middle East to the mismanagement of the British and the petty and arrogant vengeance of the French. Yet somehow we have to be guilty for boasting our accomplishments and are called imperialists. We only became a world power when the others like the British, and the French failed leaving a void. I know totally off the topic of football but I just don’t get it.

35. mick says:

Personally, I find Fowdy a breath of fresh air to what is typically just horrible coverage by ESPN. Her international experience speaks for itself, and as Ruud Guillet said a couple of days ago “she knows what she is talking about.” Besides, if you are rating the commentators on who they picked to win, perform good, etc. . .then Andy Gray has to be at the bottom of the list as he picked the Czech Republic to win it all. I think we all know Andy Gray knows what he is talking about, as does Julie Fowdy. You can’t rate them on whether A or B did played well, rate them on their breakdown of the game, etc. .

36. betsy's bolton bum baster says:

looks like they got rid of that bitch ass trick for the knockout rounds. good job espn!

37. olivert says:

> Actually the best point in that discussion of tough away ground was by Rob Stone who rightfully mentioned trips to Central America for the US and Mexico as being what they are HELL. Third world accommodations, poorly sodded or plastic pitches and nasty fans who throw things on the pitch all night.

Central American fans don’t throw “things” onto the pitch.

They throw their URINE onto the pitch (either with bags or cups), particularly when opponents are getting ready to take corner kicks.

38. olivert says:

> Why do we see so many comments about how ESPN should not get EPL coverage? Because many people have something to fear if they gain the rights. Keep up the good work!

At this point, EPL on one of the ESPN networks in the U.S. for the 2010-2011 season is a foregone conclusion, especially if ESPN, Inc. were to acquire U.K. domestic rights to one of the EPL TV packages.

Neither Setanta nor FOX can afford to pay much more money for EPL. Setanta in particular is losing money on the current deal (its 50% share being $28.5 million for 3 seasons), while FOX Soccer Channel is at best running at break even.

The big question: will Setanta Sports Limited still be in business come August 2010? I have my doubts about that. Setanta’s UK operation is burning through over USD$1 million a week.

39. olivert says:

>>> As to Foudy, don’t mind her, I think she probably does mail it in , she most likely was showing here lack of preparation when she fell back of Henry as a player to watch. If, you are not in on this secret now you are, many of the former players that hit the studio or broadcast both fail to do the work they should to prepare for a broadcast. Foudy most likely is no different then the rest.

It’s too bad that Foudy decided for whatever reason that she was going to “mail it in” for the past 2 weeks.

Foudy obviously knows the game well enough to analyze it on TV.

The problem I have with Foudy over the years is what I perceive to be her lack of effort in preparing for broadcasts.

She showed her lack of preparation by absolutely butchering the pronounciation of Iran during World Cup 1998 on ABC. That was inexcusable, as that showed me that she lacked respect for the viewers.

10 years later, she has shown me that she hasn’t changed much as far as her effort in preparing for a soccer broadcast.

40. kumarinos says:

Julie Faudy,who do you sleep with? Tommy Smyth or Andy Gray? You managed to confound Croatia with Poland,you are a disgrace!

41. Foudy Sucks says:

Julie Foudy is the absolute worst. I would rather have Wynalda and I hate that bastard. Foudy is absolute clueless. How many EPL, Spanish, or Bundesliga games do you think she has watched in her lifetime? Very few I’m sure. She has no knowledge to draw from. Anyone could do her job better! If we could see how many Televisions are turned off or muted when she speaks i’m sure the number would be huge! She makes me sick, literally sick! We really need to do something about this!!!

42. Ruta Sanjovicik says:

I enjoy the comments made by Julie Foudy. I find her commentary to be accurate and smart. I have been around the world and watched/played soccer since I was a small girl. I am telling you first hand, she is first rate and belongs at that desk. She is clear, and concise and she speaks her mind. She is a welcome addition to the Euro 2008 desk. Stop looking through sexist eyes and enjoy it for a change.

Cheers

43. Dan the man says:

Foudy’s “…lucky Gus should change his name to I’m damn good Gus…” today, made up for any of her failures during the earlier part of the tournament. That was classic and one of the best moments of the tournament outside of the football.

44. Todd says:

but did it cost her the job….she was nowhere to be found today

45. Hawksport says:

Quick note to Erik above:

The Den is home to Millwall FC (based in South East London) and a naughty little firm called the Bushwhackers.

Away fans require rather a lot of bottle to visit the place…….especially should their team win!

46. axl says:

she totally sucks. i don’t know what else to say. why in the hell is she on the panel. she is annoying to listen to, and she is not attractive. no, its not about looks, but she doesnt bring anything to the table. i hope espn gets rid of her. doesnt she seem like the biggest bitch anyway?

47. John says:

Julie Foudy is amazing! She is so nice (I’ve met her) and I don’t know what you’re talking about! How many olympic gold medals have you won! I think she knows what she’s talking about! Thank God there are people out there smarter than you!

48. Bordaz says:

Foudy was a good choice for ESPN because she is very likeable and someone with which us American soccer fans are well acquainted. For those reasons i like having her up there. In fact i wouldn’t mind having her replace Tommy Smyth, whose knowledge doesn’t seem to be that thorough and is from Ireland, a country that is as unfamiliar with football as Brits claim we are. However, be that as it may, during the broadcasts Julie didn’t offer us the player’s perspective as well as she is qualified, as that is her niche.

The choice of Andy Gray was fantastic, always ready to add a former player’s insight to the commentary; I found his contribution throughout the tournament informative. Also, i have to give props to him as the great 80′s cult hero of my club Everton

49. Mike says:

I think JoeJoeJoe nailed it with his statement:

TWO World Cup Wins…TWO Olympic Gold Medals…271 caps…17 years… I’m sorry but
    it begs the question: who in the hell do you
    think is more qualified? She, Mia, Brandi and Christine Lily are the best soccer players America has produced. Of course she would be tapped by ESPN as commentator!

50. k says:

You guys are just being sexist. Julie is an olympian and she knows a lot about sports. You are just jealous that a women is starting to step up and show the world that they are more than just smiling housewives. Women atheletes are the best.