Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

Ronaldo picks Real Madrid over Manchester United

ronaldo portugal Ronaldo picks Real Madrid over Manchester United

As the old saying goes, money talks and Cristiano Ronaldo is listening. The 23-year-old Portugese superstar finally ended his silence in an exclusive interview with respected Brazilian website Terra he is reported as stating: “I would like to play for Real Madrid but only if it is true they are ready to pay what Manchester United ask of them. However, it does not depend on me.”

Reports are that he wants to leave Man Utd for the £300,000-a-week wage packet being offered to him by Real Madrid. This despite the fact that Ronaldo signed a five-year contract extension with Manchester United last April, tying him to the club until the end of the 2011-12 season. The Real Madrid offer is double the wages he is currently making at Old Trafford.

In order for Ronaldo to join Real Madrid, United would first have to agree to sell him, but its plain to see that Madrid will need to break the bank to buy the Portuguese winger. Recent reports suggested Madrid would consider tabling a £150m offer to United for the services of the Portuguese star, who joined the English club from Sporting Lisbon in 2003. Madrid already holds the record for the biggest transfer fee in soccer history, paying Italian team Juventus £46m for the services of Zinedine Zidane in 2001. They would need to far exceed that to satisfy United.

The other possibility is of a cash + players deal, which would break apart a successful squad that captain Raul has urged the management to keep together. Players that have been mentioned as going as compensation are formidable talents like Sergio Ramos and Robinho.

There are plenty of reasons for these two superclubs to be fighting over the services of Ronaldo. He scored 42 goals in all competitions for United this season, helping the Red Devils claim its second consecutive Premier League title and to win the Champions League. He was named the top player in the English Premier League and is also the odds-on favourite to win the FIFA world player of the year award in December.

There are also rumblings that Barcelona are preparing to rival Real Madrid in the race to sign the Portuguese forward. The last time these two clubs fought over a player from Manchester United as back in 2006 when David Beckham was sold by United. United accepted a £25m bid from Barca before selling the midfielder to Real for the same fee. Beckham has no interest in joining Barcelona, as he felt he was being used as a political pawn by Joan Laporta. Laporta was campaigning to become Barcelona president and seemed to be using the Beckham signing as a way of upping his profile with the voters.

As Sid Lowe of the Guardian wrote this morning, Real Madrid president Ramón Calderón is still unpopular despite two successive titles and he has missed out on signing the players he promised to sign,like Cesc Fabregas and Kaká, during his presidential campaign. This could mean that despite the cost, financially or financially + players going to United, Calderón could be desperate to make a big statement.

Ronaldo has said that he will not speak of his future again until after the European Championships but expect the media to stir up a frenzy. A strong showing at Euro 2008 would only serve to drive up the price on Ronaldo, perhaps to the point where a deal is untenable.

I remain skeptical (this could just be a negotiating ploy for Ronaldo to up his United wages yet again) but it looks like my initial hunches about this were wrong.

24 Responses to Ronaldo picks Real Madrid over Manchester United

1. Paul Bestall says:

I don’t think Real Madrid can afford him and I don’t understand why anyone would want to leave a side to join a worse one.
    If United do sell him, I hope they take Madrid for every penny they have.

• jose says:

if your a barcelona fan you suck be quiet you dont you madrid can be there the best team in the world . We already bought kaka david villa who sucks now . Also they are going to buy silva from valencia , ibramovice from inter ,ronaldo from manchester ,and ribery from bayern boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo any other team yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa real madrid

2. betsy's bolton bum baster says:

ronaldo has nothing more of importance to win in the english game. he should go where his heart obviously is. it doesn’t seem to be about money to me, he’ll get paid either way. he wants to go where he has always dreamed of going and that is real madrid.

3. betsy's bolton bum baster says:

real madrid are a very good side. a player like ronaldo is the missing piece from a very dominant european season.

4. Simon Burke says:

He is a pri*k. He just signed a contract recently and now thinks he can walk. I dont care if he has won everything, he should have thought of that before he put pen to paper to get higher wages.
    I hate United but I do hope they take a stand against this typical modern footballer and teach Ronaldo a lesson. His statement was so pathetic and contrived – grow a pair Ronaldo, dont go running to a Brazilian website and say I would like to may go, if its okay with United and if Real pay them fairly… What nonsense.
    Fergie V Ronaldo will be a great one for the media.

5. Kartik says:

Just a pitiful thing that everyone is so obsessed with this kid and what he has to say. I for one could care less. Let’s see him accomplish something with Ryan Giggs and Wayne Rooney. Let’s see if Portugal gets as far in this edition of the Euros as they did in 2000 and 2004. My head says they will not.

6. Shakira Graham says:

Haven’t Madrid realized that the Galactico model just doesnt work for them anymore, especially in Europe. I don’t think that Ronaldo will be the piece that Madrid is missing.

7. Kartik says:

Obviously I meant w/o Giggs and Rooney. Too me Ronaldo is just an undisciplined footballer with no structure to his game. Again if Portugal wins the euros I’ll shut up.

8. t says:

Can’t wait to see how childish ol alex ferguson’s going to act now. I bet he will make ronaldo sit in the stands, or probably won’t let him into old trafford, during next season(if he has to stay with manure). Ferguson is a pitifully spiteful man and I bet he won’t take this lightly.

9. mike says:

Kartik, what do you mean by Ronaldo being undisciplined? Because he does stepovers and is flashy? I’m not criticizing, just curious why you think that.

10. FxB says:

The sums are amazing — both the salaray and the potential transfer fee!

Anyhow, I say sell him. If he wants to go, then go, especially if United would receive a record transfer fee and players like Sergio Ramos and Robinho in return.

You can’t forget that the Glazers are deeply indebted. Selling Ronaldo would allow them to chip away at that mountain of high interest debt without weakening the club too much.

And were they to sell him now, the supporters wouldn’t complain too much. It’d be easy to spin the whole transaction as honorable United being forced to sell the rich, mercurial foreigner.

Read more about my thoughts on the issue at the my blog. (Click on my name.)

11. Lonnie says:

Kartik,

I think your viewpoint is a bit out-of-date. Not every player on the pitch needs to play a rigid, structured role. It stifles creativity and dynamism. Roma, Manchester United and even at times in the past AC Milan, have shown that you can deploy three or four attack-minded players who can interchange fluidly without needing a rigid structure to make them work. Ronaldo has speed, dribbling ability, is good in the air and can score from distance. Why would you want to pigeon-hole talent like that by simply having him run up and down the wing ?

Anyhow, if he goes Ronaldo will have Robben and Sneijder among others to work with so it’s not like he’s going to some squad of 3rd division outcasts. Even if Real give up some players they still have a good cast to draw on. They have been successful but the football on offer has only been inspiring in brief glimpses. The Madrid fans want not only to win but win with style and flair. Barcelona is the same way…grinding out a 1-0 win is not good enough. I applaud that attitude.

I do agree that Madrid run the risk of repeating the Galacticos mistake though I don’ think they lost out financially by bringing in names like Beckham, Zidane, etc. Their shirt sales from Beckham alone probaly funded the move.

As for SAF, it will be interesting. He does not usually take these situations well. It could be that Ronaldo’s handlers know that and are looking to anger him into selling like what happened with Staam, van Nistelrooy and many others.

I am an admitted United fan and would be disappointed to see him leave but if the club can haul in a big chunk of cash (45m +) as well as Sergei Ramos and one or two others….it’ll ease the pain :) From what I’ve seen of him, Ramos is going to be one of the best defenders around very shortly.

12. Michael says:

Lonnie, Ramos isn’t going to be one of the best defenders around, he already IS one of the best defenders around.

If he was included in a swap deal along with cash for Ronaldo, I’d do it in a heartbeat if the price was right. United are in desperate need of a quality right back; Wes Brown is not Manchester United starting XI quality, and Ramos is world-class at that position right now and is still young. Nani will replace Cristiano Ronaldo, not next year, but in two or three seasons, he’ll be almost as productive. He has very similar attributes to Ronaldo and plays the same way on the field.

Robinho is not someone Manchester United needs, they need a strong center forward who allows Rooney and Tevez to drop deep like they prefer to do.

Ramos and 80-85 million pounds for Ronaldo, and I’d let him go if I was United.

13. Michael says:

Remember, everyone has a price, even the best player in the world.

14. Chris says:

YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And by the way, to whoever heard that united would get Sergio Ramos in return has been called ‘Rubbish’ by Calderon. They will probably offer Robinho cos he wants 2 leave and maybe even van nistelrooy back but giving ramos away would destroy the defence and the whole point of ronaldo is that they have both an amazing defence and an amazing offence, giving away ramos would just put them back to square one in defence.

15. Malish John Peter says:

I think, the football world is running crazy! How can real madrid stick to Ronaldo to that far? 150M that is quite playing with games.What will the low earning team do in order to sign stars like Ronaldo if money is the machinary to be used now? I think FIFA should stand up and regulate such unrealistic campaigns, soon you will here 300M for Messi, for God’s sake what is Real madrid upto? Ronaldo should consult those who experienced bernabau, what happened to them.Many world stars lost credibility and talents in madrid because you can not merge rotten onion with fresh ones, Ronaldo think twice, I am great Man utd fan in Sudan but i’m not impressed with the propaganda behind you. I will be grateful if you silenced madrid or else tell us you are going other than confusing us on media

16. Ivan says:

Noway in hell they are getting 80m and arguably the best defender in the world Sergio Ramos. Messi’s release clause is about 100 odd million but even if someone was to meet that clause he wouldn’t agree on personal terms. the bloke owes his career to Barcelona considering they were the only club willing to fork out the dough for his HGH.

And Kartik trying to put it as nice as i can, but some of the stuff you spout is mind blowing at times..lol I’m not convinced by ALL the hype (still think Messi is a better footballer but he can’t get fit which is unfortunate) but Cronaldo had a phenomenal season and deserved the appropriate praise.

17. Ivan says:

deserves not deserved…ahh im tired off to bed

18. Lonnie says:

Michael,

When I said Ramos is going to become one of the best defenders in the world, I meant it two ways. First, defenders tend to improve with experience, for full-backs this holds true at least as long as their legs hold up. Look at a player like Cafu for example, he got better as he aged…up until the the last two seasons when he was simply off the pace.

Secondly, in watching Real Madrid this season, I do notice Ramos picks up a high number of yellows and reds. On more than one occasion this has been a retaliatory late tackle. So with a bit more discipline he’ll be even that much better. I do like a player with some grit and edge to his game but 3 reds is a bit much.

No doubting he is a world-class player though. I just think he can become even better.

19. JLay says:

I’m an admitted United fan, but I’m absolutely over this BS. Ronaldo is a great player – a great player that signed a new contract with United in April.

One of three things need to happen:

1) Ronaldo ends all of this stupidity and promises his future to United – we’re happy to have him.

2) Fergie and Glazer teah the little prick (and the big prick in Mardrid) a lesson, and sit him on his ass for the next 4 years.

3) Ferguson demands Ramos, Van Nistlerooy, and $80m GBP in return. “Take it or leave it, asshole.”

At the end of the day, Unioted are a great side and while the loss or CR would definitely weaken them a bit, we could sign 2 or 3 other players that could more than make up the difference. The only thing that bothers me is the dirty pool being played by those fat smelly spainiards.

I’d love to see Fergie sit him on his prissy, punk little ass during the prime years of his career, just to teach him a lesson… and they should definitely bring charges against RM for this BS,, maybe they can recoup the wasted salary in damages…

20. ronaldo is gonna leave. ronaldo is gonna leave. ronaldo is going to leave. what else does this c*nt need?

hahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

21. alex says:

jlay ur absolutly spot on there……. after ronaldo said he wants to play for madrid fergie should not sell him but leave him on the bench or stands every game

22. jose says:

all of you who think ronaldo suck booooooooooooooooo your self he is the best player in the world sonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

23. lulzim says:

I love you real my kosova heheehe chapion real madrit c.ronldo