ESPN Launches Its Euro '08 Web Site
ESPN has quietly launched its Euro 2008 site, which features stunning graphics and a very clean cutting edge design.From the opening intro of “This is not the football you think it is,” the web site features a state-of-the-art design that pulls you into the site. Once you’ve viewed the intro, you find yourself on the home page which is remarkably understated in comparison to the intro but still well designed with a clean interface.
Features on the site include:
- Team selector for each country featuring the team roster, national anthem and team news
- History of European Championships
- Downloads such as wallpapers, buddy icons and videos to put on your video iPod
- ESPN’s TV ads for Euro 2008
- Euro 2008-related polls
- A link to the Euro 2008 TV schedule for ESPN
- A link to the ESPN Euro 2008 fantasy game
- Schedule of when the next match will be on TV
- And a countdown clock to the beginning of Euro 2008.
While the design of the site is stunning, what it lacks is meat (i.e. content), an easy to remember URL (try memorizing assets.espn.go.com/espn/euro2008) and, lastly, user generated content. Despite the appealing look and feel of the site, it acts more as a gateway to take users back to ESPN Soccernet. With a little more work, it could have ended up being a destination that visitors would go to more often.
Thanks to EPL Talk reader Neal P for the tip. Feel free to send your news items or tips to me at thegaffer[at]epltalk[dot]com