Zaragoza cries seven yeras later

There are teams you can actually imaging playing in 2º Division. Zaragoza is not one of them. With the highest budget of its history, a team made for Champions League is now in hell, deciding who they are going to sell in order to face an extremely difficult season.

Just take a look to some of their players: Cesar, Ayala, Diego Milito, Sergio García, Zapater, Aimar, Juanfran… They have one of the best La Liga teams! Now newspapers talk about Milito, whom Zaragoza expects to sell for 15 or 20 millions of euros (Tottenham and Barcelona are interested), and Sergio García for nearly 10 millions (probably more if he does a good Euro 2008). Sadly this is the only way the have to face its debt not playing in 1º Division.

Today Real Madrid plays a match against Al Nasr for which it is going to receive 2 millions of Euros. This money can help to complete the Rolando’s operation, something overdiscussed these days in Spain. The problem is that Portuguese crack is saying yes and no at the same time. That’s because English press prefers to quote “I’m really happy here because every day I learn something new”, and Spanish newspapers quote “I’ve always said I want to play in Spain”. This is a business and newspapers must be sold. From Real Madrid headquarters one sentence has been repeated continuously: “We have enough money, and if he wants to come, he will”. We can only wait.

The Spanish national team is, after the end of La Liga, the topic that centres the whole attention. This year has not been really brilliant for Spanish clubs, so probably is la seleccion year. After so many deceptions this country is afraid of having hope. We have incredible players, but when they team up it seems they are everything but a team. Spain is waiting the first match, and after that we will decide if it is worth or not to have faith… again.

By the way, be attentive to laligatalk because in just one or two days we will post a really interesting interview with the most important Spanish football journalists in England. I’m sure you know the name. For those who don’t… you’ll have to wait.

This entry was posted in La Liga, la liga talk blog, Leagues: La Liga and tagged , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to Zaragoza cries seven yeras later

1. Chris Moran says:

Nice writing style. Looking forward to reading more from you.

Chris Moran

2. Chris Moran says:

Nice writing style. Looking forward to reading more from you.

Chris Moran

3. Lonnie says:

Hi Jose,

Welcome to the “Talk” family of sites. This was a good post.

It is too bad that Zaragoza underachieved this year. Millito will leave for sure but where to? Maybe Barcelona to join his brother?

Also I didn't quite understand the statement “The problem is that Portuguese crack is saying yes and no at the same time.” Can you explain it? I get the intent of what you mean but don't understand the “Portugese crack” part.

4. Lonnie says:

Hi Jose,

Welcome to the “Talk” family of sites. This was a good post.

Also I didn’t quite understand the statement “The problem is that Portuguese crack is saying yes and no at the same time.” Can you explain it? I get the intent of what you mean but don’t understand the “Portugese crack” part.

5. Jose Maria Malo de Molina Gala says:

Hi Lonnie,

Thanks for your welcoming words.

In Spain we are hearing that Milito can go to Barcelona (they want to sell Etoo but the problem I see is that there are really different players) or probably Tottenham (I’m sure you have heard Bervatov is near to leave Withe Hart Lane, so they need a substitute, and Milito has more or less the same characteristics). Apart from that I think he is a very good player for any team. He assures almost 15 goals each season, something not easy to find.

As I told in my first post I’m so sorry if I have some mistakes. I’m Spanish and I’m just learning English. I wanted to say “Portuguese crack”, talking about Cristiano Ronaldo and how he is saying yes and no at the same time, so he can keep United fans happy and at the same time he doesn’t close Real Madrid’s door.

Really happy to answer your feedback. Thanks for it!

6. Jose Maria Malo de Molina Galan says:

Hi Lonnie,

Thanks for your welcoming words.

Really happy to answer your feedback. Thanks for it!

7. Lonnie says:

Jose,

Trust me…your English is 1000 times better than my Spanish :) I look forward to more of your posts.

8. Lonnie says:

Jose,

9. Jamal Chahboune says:

Hello Jose,

Nice article. Like you said Zaragoza have a lot of talent. For me, the main transfers this summer will be Diego Milito and Sergio Garcia.

Aimar is a player we all know and love but one entering the end of his career and one who’s consistency is questionable. The same goes for the legend Ayala, now 35.

Zapater was a player on the radar of Liverpool and Arsenal in recent seasons but “The Bull” will probably stay in Spain and maybe even at Zaragoza.

Back to Sergio Garcia and Diego Milito. Of the two, I think Sergio Garcia would be best for England. He is thought highly of by both Juande Ramos and Rafael Benitez and certainly has a lot of potential and versatility.

Diego Milito is a player that I think should stay in Spain. It wasn’t long ago that he almost joined Liverpool ahead of Fernando Torres but in reality Milito is very inferior to Torres. Milito going to England would echo Morientes going to England a few years ago. Both players’ best attributes are their heading ability, and anyone who knows both leagues will tell you that heading in England is very different to heading in Spain. When Morientes came it became apparent that Liverpool did not have that once amazing player of Real Madrid.

I believe if Milito came to England he would fail. Ultimately, I cannot see him joining his brother at Barcelona, not with Barcelona supposedly bidding for Villa and attempting some kind of crazy swap deal invvolving Eto’o for Trezeguet.

Whatever happens at Real Zaragoza this summer, it will definetly be interesting and true enough La Liga has lost a team that should be in Europe not Segunda División.

Jamal Chahboune.