- It’s been a tale of two halves; Arsenal had the better of things and were in control for the first 20 minutes or so, and Liverpool came alive for the last 20-25 minutes.
- Very impressed with Liverpool’s immediate response to Adebayor’s goal. Once again, Steven Gerrard, the captain, put the team on his back and came up with a nice run and low cross for Kuyt to finish.
- Ryan Babel needs to continue to run at Kolo Toure. I said this in my “keys to the game” yesterday, and when Babel did use his speed on the left wing, he was fairly successful. Toure can’t match him step-for-step, and I’d expect to see Babel wear him down gradually in the second half.
- Pepe Reina is a fine, fine goalkeeper, but his relative lack of height for a goalkeeper puts him at a disadvantage on corners and free kicks. Arsenal needs to keep pumping the ball into the area, where Adebayor is having his way with Hyypia and Skrtel right now.
- Speaking of Hyypia, I have no idea why he is in the lineup. He is 34 years old now and has lost more than a step. He was exploited by Adebayor on the first goal and as I said, Arsenal needs to take advantage of Hyypia through the air and on the ground with pace.
- Jamie Carragher despises playing right back, but he does a good job there and it shows how much he cares about Liverpool FC by playing out of position for the team. With that said, him not being in the center allows Adebayor to win balls more easily in the air and I have a feeling Bendtner will be brought on as well.
- 1-1 clearly favors Liverpool, so Arsenal will have to push for a second goal. That should make for a great second half.
More in General,Leagues: EPL
Whatever your take on Daniel Levy, you have to admit that the Tottenham Hotspur chairman is a bit of a wizard in the transfer market. Hard as nails to deal with, his insistence on getting the best possible transfer deal, penny for penny, led Sir Alex Ferguson to say dealing […]
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp said on Wednesday he will not rush injury-prone striker Daniel Sturridge back into first-team action until the England international can prove he is more “robust.” Sturridge, 26, was on the bench for Saturday’s 4-1 demolition of erstwhile Premier League leaders Manchester City, the first time he […]
Feeling over-Klopped yet? Allow Isaac to help. In an opportunity arranged by LFCTV, young Isaac was given an exclusive at Melwood with the new Liverpool boss, resulting in this adorable six-minute interview. From enticing Klopp into a Gene Simmons impression to the challenge of trying to expand his Scouse, Isaac […]
As Jamie Vardy skipped past Chancel Mbemba’s sliding challenge to slot past Rob Elliot, Vardy equalled the Premier League record of scoring in ten consecutive matches. The record is especially astonishing considering that Vardy was playing non-league football just three seasons ago. Now, to sit atop the Premier League goalscoring […]
Arsenal midfielder Francis Coquelin has been ruled out for 12 weeks, Gunners boss Arsene Wenger confirmed on Tuesday. Coquelin suffered a knee ligament injury during Arsenal’s 2-1 defeat at West Bromwich Albion on Saturday and scans have now revealed the extent of the problem. Speaking after Arsenal’s vital 3-0 win […]
One of the most enjoyable things about listening to former players and managers talk is the stories about characters they’ve worked with in years gone by. The quirks of iconic coaches such as Bob Paisley, Brian Clough, Bill Shankly and Sir Alex Ferguson, and perhaps how players like Paul Gascoigne, […]
Depleted Juventus host Manchester City on Wednesday looking for the win that would secure their passage to the last 16 of the Champions League. City’s 3-1 win away to Sevilla last time out left Manuel Pellegrini’s men top of Group D on nine points and, with Juventus one point behind […]
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger the broke news, and the hearts of Arsenal fans, on Monday by confirming defensive midfielder Francis Coquelin will be sidelined “at least two months” with a knee injury suffered during Arsenal’s disappointing 2-1 defeat to West Brom on Saturday. Coquelin is one of the most important […]
No matter how you spin Swansea’s record so far this season, the situation looks bleak in South Wales. While the club has achieved victories against Aston Villa, Manchester United and Newcastle, it has been mired by a string of losses against Arsenal, Watford, Southampton, Stoke and Norwich, as well as draws […]
Arsenal have been dealt a blow with the news that midfielder Francis Coquelin will be out for at least two months with a knee injury. Manager Arsene Wenger announced that the 24-year-old Frenchman suffered knee ligament damage in Saturday’s 2-1 Premier League defeat at West Bromwich Albion. Coquelin will now […]
News broke on Wednesday, courtesy of Daily Mirror’s John Cross, that Arsenal were set to announce a new contract extension for superstar Alexis Sanchez, and a deal keeping Mesut Özil in north London was next. Cross stated that the Chile international was about to receive a pay raise that would […]
The season, so far If one were to ask Louis van Gaal about it, all is well at Manchester United. In spite of an embarrassing exit to Championship team Middlesborough in the Capital One Cup, United are two points from the top of the Premier League and top of their Champions […]
Liverpool midfielder James Milner is hoping to shake off his hamstring injury in time to face his former employers Manchester City next weekend. The 29-year-old was forced off in the Europa League win over Rubin Kazan last week and missed the Reds' clash with Crystal Palace three days later before […]
Manager Arsene Wenger has defended Arsenal’s medical staff after England duo Theo Walcott and Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain joined the club’s growing injury list. The Gunners were left counting the cost of Tuesday night’s 3-0 Capital One Cup fourth-round loss at Sheffield Wednesday. Oxlade-Chamberlain was forced off after just five minutes because of […]
Here’s today’s TV schedule for viewers/readers in the United States (as well as listings of commentators): Aston Villa vs. Manchester City, 8:30am, NBCSN and NBC Universo Arsenal vs. Spurs, 11am, NBCSN and Telemundo Liverpool vs. Crystal Palace, 11am, Premier League Extra Time and NBC Sports Live Extrai SEE MORE • Where […]
Former England goalkeeper David James has expressed his concern that Louis van Gaal’s style of management is inhibiting Wayne Rooney. Much of the soccer Manchester United have played since the Dutchman’s appointment in 2014 has been predictable and provided a considerable contrast with the attacking focus so regularly seen under Sir […]
As the number of soccer games available to viewers in the United States continues to grow year over year, the space is becoming more competitive. There’s more choice now than there ever has been before. But which networks and leagues are doing the greatest job at enticing viewers to tune […]
Success spoils you. For fans of big clubs, this entitlement creeps in over time. You get used to winning games, claiming trophies most seasons, and it’s hard not to grumble when things don’t go exactly according to plan. For some, supporters that expectation of constant excellence starts to manifest itself […]
Manchester United midfielder Bastian Schweinsteiger is convinced manager Louis van Gaal will bring success to the club and urged fans to show patience. Supporters have begun to show dissent at the style of play the Dutchman has brought in at Old Trafford, and chants of “attack, attack, attack” were in […]
Contrary to most media attention, there have actually been two recent Premier League managerial vacancies. The same day as Brendan Rodgers’ Liverpool departure, Dick Advocaat of Sunderland resigned from his post, saying the tools he was given to work with weren’t enough to keep the Black Cats in the Premier […]