Powered by
ned3
JUL 13 3PM ET
arg0
ger1

My England Starting XI

100px England National Team My England Starting XI

I’ve been focusing on the England national team over the past week or so here, trying to divert attention away from the Premiership a little bit and to the new era under Fabio Capello.

Injuries have limited the options Capello was able to choose from for the friendly today against Switzerland, but if I had to pick a starting lineup from today’s roster, here’s who I would go with:

GK: David James (Portsmouth)
LB: Wayne Bridge (Chelsea)
CB: Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United)
CB: Jonathan Woodgate (Tottenham)
RB: Micah Richards (Manchester City)
LMF: Ashley Young (Aston Villa)
DMF: Gareth Barry (Aston Villa)
CMF: Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
RMF: David Bentley (Blackburn)
ST: Wayne Rooney (Manchester United)
ST: Peter Crouch (Liverpool)

Subs:

Scott Carson (Aston Villa)
Matthew Upson (West Ham)
Joleon Lescott (Everton)
Jermaine Jenas (Tottenham)
Owen Hargreaves (Manchester United)
Joe Cole (Chelsea)
Jermain Defoe (Portsmouth)

I have a feeling Capello might go a different way and possibly play a 4-5-1, with Hargreaves, Barry, and Gerrard in the middle. The Italian manager is known for playing with two holding midfielders and a lone striker and if that’s the case today, I don’t see how he couldn’t put Peter Crouch as the target man up top ahead of Wayne Rooney, who drops too deep for my liking.

What’s your take? I want to hear your preferred lineup.

This entry was posted in General, Leagues: EPL. Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to My England Starting XI

1. Ian says:

rumour has it this is the XI:

GK – David James

CDM – Owen Hargreaves
    RM – David Bentley
    CM – Steven Gerrard
    CM – Joe Cole
    LM – Ashley Young
    FW – Wayne Rooney

Let the midfield 4 push forward to support Rooney and leave cleanup duties to Hargreaves. Trying to play a wide game and knocking it into the box is unlikely to work unless Crouch starts.

3. Michael says:

Lonnie, Davies didn’t make the 23-man squad though I don’t think, but I see what you’re saying.

4. dragonki2012 says:

Oh no no no no, Wes Brown? Gtfo!
    David Bentley, hell yeah, about time, imo.
    Just because Ashley Cole is a good player doesn’t mean that he’s the best teammate, I’d give Mr. bridge a chance.
    And why exactly are people so hostile and dislike Peter Crouch? He scores goals almost every time he plays, but w/e.
    If they win, and it’s going to be hard against the swiss, there will be too many praises for Capello, maybe more than he deserves.
    We will see though

5. TheScout says:

Whoops…you’re right. I had been looking at the 30-man roster. Swap out Davies for Lescott or Upson.

6. Jeff Hash says:

The eleven has just been announced! Here is your lineup:

James
    Brown
    Ferdinand
    Upson
    A. Cole
    Bentley
    Jenas
    Gerrard
    Barry
    J. Cole
    Rooney

Lineup appears to be 4-4-1-1, as Cole is playing deeper than Rooney. Could still be considered a 4-4-2 though.

7. Dave M says:

Wes Brown may not make it when you judge him 1:1 against his competition, but taken together with Ferdinand (who he works with week in and week out), he’s a good choice. A case of the sum being greater than the parts.